Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Keksen posted:

Just found this thread after having picked up Shadowrun Returns during the Steam sale. Been playing the poo poo out of that. What an amazing game. I never played this one though so I didn't even know the character in Returns is a cameo, complete with waking up in a morgue and all.

Gonna be following this LP, for one because you're doing a great job showing off the game and also because I want to see if I missed any other references.
I was just about to write this exact post, down to the letter. Spoooooooooooky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Update 4: Ahead of the Game

With our new found freedom, we find our selves in Old Town. This is, sadly, the only other place besides the morgue that has that song I really like. It's also the smallest and least relevant area, we've already done nearly everything we can in this place due to escaping the caryards. :(

There's also a bar! It's the hangout for bar-none (:haw:) the WORST shadowrunner in the game. We might talk to him in another update. For now let's just talk to the barkeep.

"Cut the yappin'. Ya want something or not?"

This bar loving sucks. :sigh:

One of the patrons of this bar (I didn't get a screenshot of it because I almost never come into this shithole) apparently mentions that he got his datajack fixed by a Doctor Ed somewhere in Old Town. I never realized this since it's actually kind of easy to wander into Ed's office by accident. For now though, let's check out the Old Town sites!

"Seattle is Seattle no matter where you go, I guess. At least that one guy already disposed of himself."

At the end of the street are two shops. The one on the left is a magic shop for all kinds of chotchkes we don't really care about. The one on the RIGHT however...

"GUNS! :swoon:"

Before we start browsing, let's speak to the proprietor of this fine establishment.

"I can already tell you and I are going to get along just fine."

"You want to buy this gun? Good buy! Only one owner. He's no longer around if ya know what I mean! Yar ho tee hee har."

"Nah, I already had a slightly used gun. Right now I'm stuck with this hunk of crap."

"Huh? Come on lad let's set our hair on fire!"

"You know, I think I'm just going to take a look around."

The shop here sells a bunch of different kind of guns, but really there's only one choice. You'll understand why in a moment. Let's take a look:

Colt American L36 Pistol
Required Strength: 1
Attack Power: 3
Accuracy: 1
Price: 500

The L36 is precisely the same as the Beretta. There's literally no reason to buy this unless you never leveled up firearms and are stuck with the zip gun, in which case how the gently caress did you get out of the caryards.

Fichetti Light Pistol
Required Strength: 1
Attack Power: 4
Accuracy: 1
Price: 2000

An extra damage point, not worth the money.

Ares Viper Heavy Pistol
Required Strength: 2
Attack Power: 4
Accuracy: 2
Price: 4000

:flaccid: Pass.

Ruger Warhawk Pistol
Required Strength: 3
Attack Power: 6
Price: 9000

Now we're getting somewhere. 6 damage is a nice little bundle, but there's one more gun left.

Defiance T-250 Shotgun
Required Strength: 4
Attack Power: 8
Price: 15000

This baby right here. This is expensive as hell and worth every penny. Eight dick-punching points of pain packed into each shot. This is legitimately the best weapon we'll have available for a while, so you should absolutely save your money for it. Forget about the other weapons, the Defiance T-250 is all we're going to need.

We also get a mesh jacket, which has two armour points. In a surprising departure from normal Danaru style, I actually remembered to equip it right away.

There are three main areas in Shadowrun. Tenth street is where we started off, we just basically finished most of Old Town. The third area is Downtown, easily the biggest of the areas. Spoilers, we won't get there this update.

To get between the area, you take the subway. The subway looks something like this:

[Tenth Street] <----> [Old Town] <----> [Downtown}

We actually have some unfinished business on Tenth Street, so let's head on over.

"What a loving day. Started off the night by dying, killed a ton of guys, got thrown into a caryard, killed everyone there, at least the whole "keep shooting until the problem is resolved" approach has been working well. This data-thinger is driving me nuts though. There's no way it's supposed to be this itchy."

"Well heck, who knows, maybe Drake forgot about me, or sent all his dudes to Old Town after realizing I wasn't here anymore."

"Yeah even I didn't believe that one."

Tenth Street is exactly how we left it. Literally. It's 100% the same except that Glutman isn't at that club anymore. Maria's still playing, and Glutman's secretary is none the wiser.

"Heyyyyyyyyy buddy"

"Tabernac! J'y pens-- ahem, Hamfist thought you were dead! Heard you wound up in the caryards. How'd you get out?"

"Let's just say, The King..."

"...has left the building."

"...huh?"

"I killed him."

"Oh, drat, that'll do it."

"Anyway come on, we've got poo poo to do."

"'We'? Hamfist stood outside that club the entire duration of the run you paid for. You gotta pay for a brand new run."

"You do realize I just told you I killed the guy that made everyone scared of the caryards right?"

"Hamfist is open to price negotiations."

So if you remember, Hamfist used to charge us 500 nuyen, with our negotiation skill maxed out, he lowers it to 300. It doesn't seem like much now, but it'll save a lot of money when we start hitting up the expensive runners.

"Oh yeah, Hamfist"

"Yeah?"

"Let's have that gun back."

This is the only way to have both the Beretta and the Zip-gun in your inventory at the same time. There's... no real reason to ever do this, but there you go.

"So where are we headed, anyway?"

"Well the only place we haven't explored yet in this area is the graveyard, so we have to check to see if there's treasure in there."

"...That makes zero sense, but I'm getting paid anyway."

Naturally, as a graveyard in an action adventure/RPG, it'll be a completely normal place for respecting the dea--

"SKELETONS!"

In all seriousness, that was the best shot I could get of one of the ghouls still being alive. Hamfist usually does what he does in the last screenshot and one-hits the ghouls the second they come out of the ground. If we were still looking for karma, this would be a fairly decent spot to grind. By running around and letting Hamfist kill everything, you can make a decent amount. The ghouls get slightly harder every time you leave and re-enter to get them to respawn though, so keep that in mind.

The doors on the crypts are all locked, so we use the scalpel we stole in the beginning of the game to... pick the lock? :psyduck: I have no idea.

"What's so special about this crypt that makes you want to get in so bad?"

"Locked doors can mean only one thing; treasure! Who knows what could be in here, it could be a secret weapon! It could be gold! It could be..."

"...A dying Native American."

"Aboriginal."

"Right, what did I say?"

"Native American."

"Wait, what's wrong with Native American'?"

"Well America doesn't really exist anymore."

"I always thought it referred to the two Americas, the continents. Those still exist, right?"

"Cough... Blrf..."

"Oh, right, let's save the semantics for when he's not bleeding out."

Our new friend is in rough shape, but fortunately we have just the thing.

That slap patch we stole from the morgue! Any slap patch will do, so if you use this one yourself, you can go buy one from the kid in the caryards.

All better! One band-aid and he's immediately stabilized. It's wierd, but it makes more sense than giving our ice tea to some random dude to learn about concert tickets. :shrug:

"By the way, I prefer 'First Nations'"

"Your portrait looks a lot more Jamaican than your sprite implied."

"Just a big fan of Reggae"

"I can respect that. Anyway I think you've got the wrong guy, I only found you because I was looking for treasure."

"A little keepsake for you man... take this Magic Fetish"

"Wait, like, getting turned on by people using magic?"

"No, no, it's a magical item."

"Okay good, because that would be weird."

"...er... yeah... real weird..."

"I'm not sure what I'll be able to do with it though, I'm no Shaman"

"If you be a true shaman, you are one with the Earth. She provides the power for your magic."

"...I just said I wasn't though."

"Your totem calls to you. Appease his wishes and he will serve you well..."

"Are you being annoyingly cryptic on purpose?"

"Heh, yeah. Normies really eat that poo poo up."

"Right. So what's up with the Magic Fetish"

"I see a need for it in your future. He who seeks it is a bearer of untruth!"

"You're not going to give me any info I can use, are you."

"Nope! Chrome Coyote awaaaay!"

And with that, our cryptic friend disappears in a cloud of smoke.

"...What just happened?"

"I have no idea. His name makes him sound like a member of Foxhound though."

With that done, we leave the graveyard. The other crypts just contain more ghouls and sometimes 10-20 nuyen.

Let's head back to Old Town and get this drat Datajack looked at.

This is clearly the entrance to a reputable medical practice.

"Seriously Jake, this is way too sketchy for me."

"Wuss."

:haw: Hey Kiddo!

"Yeah doc, this drat thing's been itching and sparking for a while now."

"Well if you're having trouble getting in to the Matrix, that could be your problem. I can do a quick Examination for 500 nuyen."

"Sounds good. Examination it is."

"I hope your medical skills are better than your humour skills."

"A WHAT."

"A CORTEX BOMB?!"

"It's um... designed to destroy anything stored in your head computer if it is tampered with!"

"You've GOT to be making GBS threads me. Can't you get it the hell out?!"

"Um, I think it started ticking... if it goes off, it's likely to take a good portion of your head along with it. Sorry, here's a refund... try some aspirin. I don't think I can help you."

By the way, if you don't talk to Ed, he totally won't give you a refund. Make sure to use the Talk option.

"Ed I swear, if you didn't give me my money back, I'd gun you down right where you are."

"I uh, I'm glad you feel that way. You should really find an actual doctor though"

"An 'actual' doctor? Are you telling me you're not an actual doctor?!"

"Well um, 'Doctor' is my nickname, so uh, I guess you could say I'm a Doctor..."

With that said, here's our current stats. Next time we'll try to find a doctor who can save us from going all Darkseed 2 on the sidewalk :sigh:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 19, 2014

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If I remember correctly, the game does let you murder Ed after he arms the cortex bomb. Given the designers' thoroughness and level of detail, I can only assume that it was deliberate rather than an accidental oversight.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Shotguns are always the best (well, 2nd best sometimes) and this game has good taste for making it so good. And it's not even one of those videogame shotguns with the horrible aim!

Ha, that's what you get for skimping on quality and going for a street doc. At least that bomb is mighty generous and gives you a good few minutes to look around for a solution rather than blow you up on the spot. Guess whoever installed it accounted for tampering.

quote:

"I see a need for it in your future. He who seeks it is a bearer of untruth!"
I can't believe I never picked up on this. That's good early foreshadowing.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Does the game have alternative scenes in case Jake isn't wearing his goggles?

quote:

"Let's just say, The King..."

"...has left the building."
I love you :allears:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Danaru posted:

"You want to buy this gun? Good buy! Only one owner. He's no longer around if ya know what I mean! Yar ho tee hee har."

"Huh? Come on lad let's set our hair on fire!"

This dwarf is my favorite character in the whole game, and it isn't hard to see why.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Pierzak posted:

Does the game have alternative scenes in case Jake isn't wearing his goggles?

Nope, if you don't put on the sunglasses, the morgue dudes will always run into the closet screaming when you enter the morgue again, making it impossible to get the tickets to get into the club where Glutman is.

That's a puzzle, seriously.

Gabriel Pope posted:

If I remember correctly, the game does let you murder Ed after he arms the cortex bomb. Given the designers' thoroughness and level of detail, I can only assume that it was deliberate rather than an accidental oversight.

Yep, Ed is one of the few non-combat named NPCs that you can kill. I never do though, he's an idiot, but he's not evil :(

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Actually all the native Americans I've met in real life say they settled on "American Indian" as the preferred term. Oh well.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

HGH posted:

I didn't either until this LP. I can believe it though, the first time I had obviously forgotten it by the time it became relevant and in future play-troughs, I sped trough his dialog.

Anyway, the Shootgun has an accuracy of 2, so you only need a firearm skill of 5 to get a perfect accuracy with it. I tend to leave the firearm skill there and just get more body if I have a problem with King.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Heh, the Cortex Bomb is the only thing I have ever heard about this game.

I'm really enjoying this LP. Nice work on the additional dialogue.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Seyser Koze posted:

Actually all the native Americans I've met in real life say they settled on "American Indian" as the preferred term. Oh well.

Maybe Chrome Coyote's from north of the border.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Seyser Koze posted:

That was mostly my Canadian-ness coming out. You're probably going to notice that a lot. I've actually totally never heard the term "American Indian" before :saddowns:

Crystalgate posted:

HGH posted:

I didn't either until this LP. I can believe it though, the first time I had obviously forgotten it by the time it became relevant and in future play-troughs, I sped trough his dialog.

I'm in the same boat as you, I never caught it before I recorded this LP. Same with the memo that Jake wakes up with, I usually just stuff it in my pocket and never actually read it. That one is way less foreshadowey though.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Loving the hell outta this LP! Always wanted to actually play the table RPG but didn't know where to start. Maybe someday.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Good lp, have some fond memories of watching my brother play this game almost 20 years ago.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Also... it's an early-'90s Super Nintendo game, released in America, that unambiguously has booze, exotic dancers, and guns that kill people in it.

I'm still not sure how this one got past the censors.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Seyser Koze posted:

Also... it's an early-'90s Super Nintendo game, released in America, that unambiguously has booze, exotic dancers, and guns that kill people in it.

I'm still not sure how this one got past the censors.

Nintendo's censors were always weirdly selective and focused on the most superficial things. All the goofy Shadowrun slang probably helped smooth things out--saying the word "kill" was a much bigger red flag for big N than gunning someone down in the streets.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
And it seems the player can't actually buy booze, only soft drinks.

But yeah, this does seem much darker and adult than I would normally expect for a Nintendo game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Update 5: What Kind of Name is "Rust Stiletto" Anyway?

I'm giving you the SHITTIEST review on ratemds.com :argh:

"Well that was quick, your datajack fixed now?"

"The jack's fixed, but so is the bomb that's apparently in my skull. Also THERE'S A BOMB IN MY SKULL."

"Is it bad that I kind of expected that? Maybe not a bomb, but something was going to happen."

"...Honestly? No. I should have seen it coming too."

At this point, all three areas are unlocked, and we could have went Downtown earlier, but it's best to get the datajack subplot over with quick so you can jack into the Matrix yourself.

Also we have 30 hours to stop the bomb, this is shockingly generous, and translates to 30 minutes of real life time. If you know where to go, you can get it disabled in less than two minutes, but what's the fun in that? :v:

"So uh, what exactly is the plan?"

"Well we'll head Downtown, wander around for a while, probably get ambushed..."

"Yep, there we go. I'm hoping we can find some locals who don't immediately open fire, and see if they know where the local street doc is."

"Hamfist never actually been Downtown, although it's already reminiscent of Tenth street."

"You seriously have problems with first person pronouns, but you use words like 'remniscent'?"

"English is a silly language."

Downtown by the way! Downtown's theme is pretty great. It has that feeling of "now we're getting somewhere!"

After we kill this one, he has some dying exposition to give us.

"Drek, you've bought into more trouble than you know. The Rust Stilletos always finish a job! Aaarrggh, bye sucker!"

"I have to say, these people have the WORST battle cries and last words."

"Censorship is a bitch."

In this picture you'll note that I took the money off the corpse, but left a very obvious item. In my defense I was playing this while watching that recording of the Retsupurae RTX panel :saddowns:

Also doggie!

"Yeah yeah, I know, get off my back"

"Did that dog just ta--"

"Later, we have poo poo to do."

Pup runs off after giving us another annoyingly cryptic instruction. In any case, we have business to attend to.

"Downtown hitmen are stepping up their game a bit."

"I should hope so, I was one-shotting everyone in old town."

On the ground here is a grenade, almost everyone who plays will want to grab the obvious item on the ground, but if you examine it...

The second you pick it up, the handle pops off and the grenade explodes. It also only does like three damage, but I'm still not giving them the satisfaction.

"Bomb in my head, Hamfist is a loser who doesn't want to go to a club, and don't pick up the grenade. Got it."

Inside the Wastelands club, some guy shoots at us, he dies. Next.

Hey wait a sec, Wastelands, we've got a matchbook from this place! It doesn't mean a great deal plotwise, but at elast we know we were downtown before things got crazy.

"Been a crazy day, chum. Woke up in a morgue, escaped from the caryards, and now I got a bomb in my head."

"Say what? Man, what a bummer! Want an iced tea? I'll have to hold the ice."

"No ice? Brutal. At this point I'd settle for iced tea without even complaining."

"Sorry, no ice. The freezer's on the fritz. We're waiting on a delivery..."

"Hope the delivery guy doesn't get cold feet. Anyway, it was ice to see you, stay frosty."

"Please stop"

"Don't give me the cold shoulder, it's not very cool. Just chill out :haw:"

"By the way, you ran up quite a tab when you were here last"

"Whoops, gotta go."

As we know, where there's a club, there are shadowrunners! Let's talk to the two near the bar.

"Me too, for a few minutes anyway, then I got dumped in a junkyard."

"I see you have a datajack... is that just for show, or do you put it to use?"

"I actually can't tell if you're serious, or if you're coming on to me."

Jetboy is a decker, like Hamfist. He has the exact same computer skill, but his firearms skill is a little better. He makes up for this by having a beretta while Hamfist has a shotgun, Making Hamfist actually better than him.

He's also costs 500 nuyen more than Hamfist, and manages to be a whiny bitch before he's even hired. There's almost no reason to hire Jetboy, except for one thing we're going to do in a minute.

My point is Jetboy loving sucks, and also Hamfist is great for how early you can hire him, and how cheap he is.

":unsmith:"

On the opposite end of the bar is a much better guy. Meet Anders.

"I already like you."

"Talk is cheap. Hiring me isn't. You get what you pay for!"

"I've been saying that all day. Let's get down to business. What's your price?"

So not only does Anders have a better firearms skill, more health, a better set of armour, and a god drat uzi, but he's the same price as Jetboy. Anders is a pretty great mid-game runner. There are way better runners of course, but not for three digits.

Outside of the club and to the right, we find...

"Oh I'm going to enjoy this."

There are a TON of Rust Stilettos around, but their biggest problem is that they love to spread out the damage, never focusing their fire on a single person. With four people, it makes it pretty easy to not take a lot of damage.

A lot of people play solo just because they feel it's more pure, I say screw that. Dan's rule number two is "Keep it legal, but never fight fair." :colbert:

With all the Rust Stilettos out here dead, we can... er...

"...er... hm... this is..."

"What's wrong, boss?"

"Let me check my inventory here, I thought I..."

"Can we get going? My feet hurt..."

"Okay I don't have a key, how do I not have the key to this door?"

"Oh hey, I remember seeing a key"

"Where?"

Back to the subway. This is a neat image because I managed to catch one of the middle frames of the dying animation. Sometimes it doesn't seem to happen, I've walked through other animations frame by frame trying to catch this particular one, and then just gave up.

I also caught a random little encounter. The mage looking guy near the bottom talks with another dude, then starts shooting at him. The other dude understandably cheeses it, and the mage runs after him. Unfortunately I happened to trigger this while entering from the ONLY entrance where you can't see the scene happen. :smith:

Also 26 hours left.

"Polite of them to take the corpse but leave the key."

"I'll never understand how the coroners of this city operate."

"This is the wrong way."

"No it isn't, I need a nap. All this key stuff is making me tired."

"Aren't you on a time limit?"

"Ehhhh."

"Loud bunch, eh?"

"Who would build a 24/7 club next to a hotel?! The Jagged Nails is the bane of my existance!"

"Right, cool, anyway I want a room."

So here's the catch. In tenth street, we had Jake's apartment, in Oldtown, we had the bed in the caryards, in Downtown, we have to pay 50 bucks every time we want to heal or save. That's like one, maybe two hitmen to kill and loot. It's not worth it to be cheap and take the subway to Oldtown.

By the way, even though your runners don't come to bed with you, since that would be too close to fanfiction material, they heal as well.

Also if you're curious, no time passes while we sleep. Maybe the bomb timer is only active while we're concious.

"Alright, back to business."

"We could have been done already..."

"If you say another word, I'm going to shoot you in eleven screenshots."

"what?"

"Exactly. Anyway, let's get in there and..."

"...um"

"...um"

"...mu"

"Not sure what I expected, but whatever."

The Rust Stilettos HQ is actually less daunting than it looks. The enemies are tough, but the layout lets you take them on one by one.

This way, the enemies can't really do any significantly serious damage, while you and your runners can tear into them. It looks way worse than it actually is.

These guys here hurl molotovs, which can be bad because places like these generally make your runners bunch up together. I tried to get him to hurl them at me alone instead, but he didn't take the bait.

Once everyone's dead in here, these two wander out. They're nothing special, but...

YOU NEED THIS CROWBAR.

Also 24 minutes left before Jake explodes.

This back room area is dangerous. There's a ton of guys, and the Gang Leader is not someone to be trifled with. He's like the dude in the arena, except stationary. If you lose any runners, it'll probably be here.

Once you kill the leader, he has some words for you.

"Pffhahaha "The Drake", he sounds like a frat boy"

This is the ONLY reason to hire Jetboy. For some reason, he's the only one who can find two thousand bucks on the Gang Leader's corpse. Also I like how even the game doesn't like him enough to call him by name. At the very least, we made a 1200 profit from dragging him along.

We also find a password on the gang leader's corpse.

"Well that's the Rust Stilettos all dead. We now have a crowbar, a password, and two thousand bucks."

"Wait, that money's mine."

"Excuse me?"

"It's mine, I found it."

"So just to be sure, you're claiming that because you found a bunch of money on a corpse, it belongs to you, is that right?"

"Yeah."

"And there we go, now it belongs to me in accordance to Jetboy's rules."

"You know usually I'd be upset about team killing, but man that guy had it coming."

"Jake has killed for WAY less than two thousand bucks."

"So just out of curiosity, how exactly did that help us with the bomb situation?"

"...Oh yeah."

Well uh, at least we exterminated an entire gang for shooting at us that one time, next time maybe we'll make some actual progress on the bomb thing. :(

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
A rusty stiletto will give you tetanus, man. Never underestimate the power of pathogens.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
As I recall, the Rusted Stilettos are an Ork and Troll gang that lives in the radioactive toxic wasteland part of the Redmond Barrens. They do tons of drugs, are completely nuts, and look kind of like the ghouls from Fallout.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
OK, I remember that you have to fight these guys to establish your street cred so that a bouncer will let you into another club, but was there any kind of hook telling you that you had to do this?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Seyser Koze posted:

OK, I remember that you have to fight these guys to establish your street cred so that a bouncer will let you into another club, but was there any kind of hook telling you that you had to do this?

They attack you and mention the name of the gang as soon as you get off the train, and the spoilered thing is a spoilered thing. Once you've done it, it's apparent that it's what you had to do, so that's the answer, clearly.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Also it's overwhelmingly implied that the Stilletoes were the hitmen Drake hired to kill Armitage the first time, so there's good old fashioned revenge if nothing else.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Can you go back to the first place you met the dog and meet him again? That's what I would have done after that other dog talked to me.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Syncopated posted:

Can you go back to the first place you met the dog and meet him again? That's what I would have done after that other dog talked to me.

Nope, it's actually the same dog, we'll be seeing him again soon enough.

Seyser Koze posted:

Not overly, sort of like how we really only went after the Maria Mercurial tickets because it was our only lead, they give you the Rust Stilettos plotline, and then assume you'll go "Well I might as well go butcher those guys". Usually you want to get the bomb situation fixed first, but there's actually a small hint most people don't know about later on that ties up the bomb subplot a little nicer.

Shadowrun is a very non-hand holding game. Technically we could go seige the second-last dungeon right now with everything we've collected. We'd die nearly instantly, but we COULD.

Rockopolis posted:

As I recall, the Rusted Stilettos are an Ork and Troll gang that lives in the radioactive toxic wasteland part of the Redmond Barrens. They do tons of drugs, are completely nuts, and look kind of like the ghouls from Fallout.

Slick, I didn't actually know that, are the Halloweeners that were in the Genesis version a real gang from the tabletop game too?

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

Danaru posted:

Slick, I didn't actually know that, are the Halloweeners that were in the Genesis version a real gang from the tabletop game too?

Yes, actually. From what little I remember they really loving love fire. Also they don't like Renraku.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

quote:

And it seems the player can't actually buy booze, only soft drinks.

There are screenshots floating around of an earlier build of this before they made changes on Nintendo's insistence. As I remember, in the original, Jake orders a whiskey not tea. Also, (very minor spoiler)a character we will meet is very flirtatious, Nintendo made them change her dialog to be a little less suggestive.

Keksen posted:

Yes, actually. From what little I remember they really loving love fire. Also they don't like Renraku.

The Halloweeners in the table top were the best since their gangleader was a gigantic troll named Giggles.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I always just took Jake as the sort of weirdo who orders iced tea in a bar.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What? Do long island iced teas not exist in the future?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Update 6: This Subplot Would Be Moot If This Were Canada

: "You know, we can kind of consider ourselves heroes, we did clear an entire gang off the streets."

: "By going to their home and wholesale slaughtering every single one of them"

: "So wait, is the lesson we're supposed to learn here 'Violence will solve all problems'? Because that's what I've learned."

: "Or at least 'Don't be a smartass when you're hired by a guy with a bomb in his head'"

: "Seriously though, killing Jetboy was the highlight of my night so far, heh."

: "Okay there was totally only two windows here last time, what the hell."

: "I'm all for killing a ton of gang bangers, but what exactly is our next step?"

: "Actually I was thinking of checking out that Jagged Nails club. That hotel guy said it was awesome."

: "...I thought he said it was the bane of his existence."

: "I wasn't actually listening, to be honest."

: "Hah! I have you noURGH"

: "Wow, that guy actually had a decent idea at least. He's better than the entire Rust Stilettos gang."

: "Well, was."

: "I didn't say he was MUCH better."

The Jagged Nails is an exclusive club. In fact the bouncers will tell you to piss off if you haven't crushed the Rust Stilettos gang yet. They also call you a wiener and put up a "no girls allowed" sign. Roughly three quarters of this paragraph is true.

: "GLUTMAN?!"

: "gently caress. I mean, er, hey."

: "What the hell are you doing as a bouncer?!"

: "Wait, YOU were supposed to be stuck in the caryards!"

: "The king wanted me to pay 4000 nuyen to get out! Way to ditch me and skimp on the bill!"

: "Well I know for sure you were at least a quarter of the way there!"

: "Hey! Technically I'M not the one who stole that money!"

: "...Think I'm going to pop around the corner for a smoke."

: "Yeah, uh, I'll come too."

: "You're dangerous to be around, Jake. I don't even dare go back to my office with this Drake guy around. Hell my secretary still thinks I'm at that Maria Mercurial concert."

: "No poo poo, What the hell is in my head?"

: "Not so sure myself. The only thing I know is that you were supposed to hit up Matrix Systems down by the docks, they'd upload some stuff, then you were supposed to get it to me. Further instructions were to come later. I didn't survive this long by asking questions. Actually I was planning to be out of here by now, but you took the money I was going to spend on a fake passport."

: "At least you haven't DIRECTLY tried to kill me yet. It's been a rough night, I'm willing to look past it. How about letting me in the club?"

: "Oh you are a dick."

: "Hey, if you enter 19 more times, we're even."

Well here we are at the... surprisingly empty Jagged Nails. In fact there are only two patrons, and neither are on this half of the club. Something sure looks familiar about that screenshot though...

: "Hey, how much do you know about brain bombs?"

"I let Cecil do the socializing. I merely serve the customers, dear!"

: "Oh, well uh, it's a little important. Do you know of any Street docs around here?"

"I don't know... how about some juice?"

: "...Got any iced tea?"

Over here are two shadowrunners. These two are two of the best, but most expensive runners in the game. We'll meet them when we get to that point. For now let's ask the barkeep about our more pressing issue.

: "Thanks! Everyone here is super nice. :3: Also the 'aftershave' is probably just dry gore, FYI. "

"Ooooh, oodles of entertainment tonight. Kitsune's performing until twelve, and I get off at one."

: "Kitsune?"

"Hmmmph! Well catch her act if you've got the time. She just uses this place as a cover to pick up on any good runs on offer."

: "Is she any good?"

"Are you kidding? She has almost every song by Journey memorized."

: "Woah, really?"

"Yep, One time someone got taken away by Docwagon for motivation poisoning."

: "Actually speaking of doctors, you don't happen to know of a Street doc that might know how to hypothetically work with a brain bomb?"

: "You're going to CHARGE me for it?!"

"Hey, a nice outfit and a cute face only gets you so far, I gotta pay bills too."

: "Well the alternative is my head exploding, so here."

So now we finally have the phone number to a doctor that won't get us killed, but first...

Let's have a chat with this familiar figure.

: "Holy crap that was awesome!"

"Urghk... Oh god... give me a sec, that always gives me crazy vertigo for a bit..."

: "...uh..."

"Alright, okay, I'm good. Where were we..."

Jake Armitage: Cute.

: "Wow, you got hit by censorship like a freight train, didn't you?"

"You have NO idea."

So hey! It's the lady from the intro who healed our corpse! Finally a friendly face! There are actually two cuts of this game apparently, one was a bit more explicit. the first noticable difference is that one refers to the coroners as "Morgue guys" and one calls them "Chop Shop guys". In the "Chop Shop guys" cut, Kitsune is a LOT more overtly flirty, with lines like "Ever snuggled down with a fox? Do you want to?". Honestly it might be a case of doing something you KNOW the censors will hate to get smaller stuff under the radar.

: "Spirit guide? Do you mean that Dog that keeps showing up and berating me?"

"He will guide you in your destiny. Here, take these enchanted leaves. They will help you if you're in trouble again."

: "Oh, er, thanks. So, uh, Kitsune right? What's your deal?"

"I'm a shapeshifter, silly! What's the matter, never seen a fox before?"

: "Not one that can resurrect the dead and sing Separate Ways at the same time."

"Heh heh"

: "Oh yeah, you seem to know about magical crap. Know anything about this Magical Fetish?"

"Looks interesting... but I've never seen anything like it before."

: "drat. Too bad. By the way, the bartender mentioned you're a Shadowrunner. It just so happens that I have an open spot available on my team."

"As much as I hate to do this, I'm going to have to ask for 3000 nuyen if you want me on a run."

:gonk: Kitsune is a PRICEY mage. With that said, there are reasons she's so pricey. She has a TON of mana, and has a really high leveled heal spell. Each spell will easily fully heal any of your runners, and will heal Jake completely unless he has a super high amount of HP, at which point it'll still heal him enough to forget about health for a long rear end time.

With that said, Kitsune is less on the offensive side, and is a bit squishy as you'd expect from a mage. If you can keep her alive though, she's an excellent support character, especially since she can heal SEVENTEEN TIMES between bed rests. There's also an event later on which will make her price a bit more understandable. It kicks the poo poo out of Jetboy's unique trait.

The perks of a maxed out negotiation skill. :unsmith:

Now then, with Kitsune now in tow, we have one more thing to do before we take off.

We now have the number for Doctor M, let's give them a ring!

: "WHERE ARE YOU PLEASE"

: "The office is located just around the corner of the Aneki building"

: "Where is the Aneki building?!"

"Oh I know where that is, it's just across the street from the subway."

: "..."

By the way, I did all this in nine minutes. :smugbert:

: "So if I had decided to take a left coming out of the station instead of a right, I would have blundered into the doc's office by accident and not had to destroy a gang and yell at my old boss to find it."

"Yep."

: "I could have told you that, boss. I didn't realize that's where you were trying to go."

: "You don't exactly explicitly state your goals very well, Jake."

: "You guys are assholes, you kno--"

: "JESUS CHRIST"

"GET OFF THE ROAD! HURRY!"

: "SACREMENT! OSTI DE TABERNAC DE CALICE!"

: "THE CROSSWALK MEANS NOTHING! THE CROSSWALK MEANS NOTHIIIIING!!"

: "Holy poo poo, that one crosswalk was scarier than the entire Rust Stilettos gang."

: "I'm glad we're already going to the doctor, I think that car bruised my entire torso. Front and back."

: "We look like we're late for a JRPG."

: "Are you about to give a speech about friendship?"

: "gently caress friendship."

Inside the office is the same secretary we talked to on the phone, we just have to mention the cortex bomb to her, and...

Yay! We can finally get this drat bomb out of our head, and not have to worry abou--

: "Excuse me"

"Oh hey I think I heard someone call my name outside, I better go check that out."

: "Oh my GOD."

So unfortunately, I, being the master of foresight, blew all my money on hiring Kitsune. While we have quite a bit of time, considering we pick up an average of 20-30 nuyen per dead hitman, we might actually not have enough time to just grind for money. How the heck can we get that much money fast?!

: "Alright let's make this quick."

BATTLE EIGHT: GANG LEADER

Gang Leader is still a complete bitch, but we have some better armour, and a shotgun, so the fight is actually doable now.

Honestly the hardest part about this fight is actually keeping your cursor ON him.

It's all about being aware of your cursor. If you can avoid letting him shrug it off of him, he goes down fairly quick to the shotgun.

"You good fighter. We like good fight. Here's 6000 nuyen. Money better if fight again."

That'll do just fine, but who IS next in the arena?

BATTLE NINE: TROLL DECKER

:gonk::gonk::gonk:

Troll Decker is honestly one of the most difficult fights in the entire game. Thats a 12 up there, by the way.

Also this situation made me imagine the coroners starting up an autopsy, and Jake's head just suddenly exploding without them having any idea why.

"Alright Sam, let's make a quick incision around the abdomen to--"

SPLORTGF

"GOD WHY"

Once more across the nightmare gauntlet.

: "Alright I'll be back."

: "How much do you want to bet there's a second bomb that activates when the first is disarmed?"

: "Don't even joke about that."

"Nice to meet you Jake. I hear you have a problem with your head.

: "My head's fine, I'd just like to keep it that way. What can you do about this Cortex bomb?"

: "Please don't be a second bomb please don't be a second bomb please don't be a second bomb please don't be a second bomb"

: "Yeah, no offense Doc, but can you wait until your hands are no longer inside my skull before advertising your stuff?"

"The data in your head computer looks like some bio-storage graft. I couldn't access it with my equipment. The maker is Matrix Systems, a little outfit over by the bay."

: "Huh, know anything about Matrix Systems"

"I know very little about them. Except their work mainly revolved around software for the Matrix."

: "...You don't say. Any idea how to get into my Head computer?"

"I'm afraid I can't access it. You'll have to find someone who knows what's in there and how to get it out."

Doctor Maplethorpe also has these on the table, what could they be? Suffice to say we'll be coming back to check these out in more detail. But for now, we no longer have a bomb in our head! :dance:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Some screenshots from TCRF showing the changes.

Oh Nintendo, if only the company who paid for Bayonetta 2 was in charge back then. This game still got away with more than I thought though, considering this was close to the "grey blood" era, right?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Danaru posted:

Update 6: This Subplot Would Be Moot If This Were Canada

Yesssss. This line. This line is the one thing from the game that's really burnt into my brain.

Although speaking of Canada, the arena guy looks kind of like John Candy.

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
Really enjoying this so far! I had never heard of this game before this thread. Seems like the snes had a lot of hidden gems. Even though there are only two pages in the thread, would you mind updating the first post with links to the updates? It would help a lot, especially to know when a new update is posted. Thanks!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

Made in Australia.
Before this they made Nightshade and some sports games.
Beam Software were some odd devs.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

If those coroners really were meant to be chop shop guys. Well, you know what real chop shops do to cars?

You just have to line up a few buyers and then get to work. Thanks to this being shadowrun you can just go pick up your livelihood off the streets. As was the case with Jake here.

kongurous
May 22, 2010

Last Transmission posted:

If those coroners really were meant to be chop shop guys. Well, you know what real chop shops do to cars?

Coroners in the Sixth World are not known for their medical professionalism on the whole, since they're usually wageslaves that just happen to work in a field where they can make some scratch on the side by selling body parts to unscrupulous street docs.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Croccers posted:

Made in Australia.
Before this they made Nightshade and some sports games.
Beam Software were some odd devs.

These guys made Nightshade? Now that I think about it I can see the similarities.

kongurous posted:

Coroners in the Sixth World are not known for their medical professionalism on the whole, since they're usually wageslaves that just happen to work in a field where they can make some scratch on the side by selling body parts to unscrupulous street docs.

There's a bustling market in second-hand cyberware. A lot of Shadowrunners start out installing parts that they get for cheap, that didn't help the previous owner.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Oh man I love this game. I spent way to long on this game as a kid. And this LP is well done. I'll definitely be following this.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I think the generally grungy atmosphere helps to disguise any censorship that did happen. If Jake orders iced tea at a bar, I doubt anybody assumes that the bar is one of those newfangled tea bars. Likewise, Kitsune saying "You're cute!" by way of an introduction characterizes her as a flirt just fine without her propositioning Jake in her second line of dialogue. You just mentally fill in the blanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Seyser Koze posted:

I think the generally grungy atmosphere helps to disguise any censorship that did happen. If Jake orders iced tea at a bar, I doubt anybody assumes that the bar is one of those newfangled tea bars. Likewise, Kitsune saying "You're cute!" by way of an introduction characterizes her as a flirt just fine without her propositioning Jake in her second line of dialogue. You just mentally fill in the blanks.

Yeah, as a kid I sort of assumed that it was a long island iced tea.

• Locked thread