Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

I dont know posted:

I loved this game as a kid, but Gamepro had published a complete walk-though. I can't imagine trying to figure out what the hell your supposed to do on your own.

Hot drat, you just reminded me: I HAVE read the walkthrough for this game. When I was, like, 9. Even though I didn't have the game. Or had never heard of the Tabletop game before. Or had any intention of getting into this stuff, period.

Look, I was a really bored 9-year-old. What do you want from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I'm getting a Cronos-eating-his-children vibe from Jangadance's eyes.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Great thread, looking forward to more.

quote:

Also the only cell phone we can get was dummied out and can only be obtained if I use a game shark.

As it turns out, there does exist a debug room for this game, found right outside the Morgue (and finally giving that Matchbox something to do besides advertising one of the clubs.) The room gives you lots of Nuyen and Karma when you talk to the waitresses, a bed to spend that karma in, access to various parts of the game, and two dummied out items, the Mobile Video Phone being one. I've used the room once or twice and it's done some interesting things to the game, like apparently reverting parts of it back to earlier versions.

SorataYuy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 25, 2014

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Danaru, your dialogue is laugh-out-loud hilarious. I'm the sure the game itself is fun to play, but I think you've made it about three times better.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
If you get her to permanently join the party if you take her through the graveyard doesn't she permanently die if she gets knocked out next time? Say if you take her on a normal run and don't kill the rat shaman, if she dies she'll simply go back to the jagged nails club but if she's a permanent party member doesn't she now run the risk of permanently dying?

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.

Blackray Jack posted:

If you get her to permanently join the party if you take her through the graveyard doesn't she permanently die if she gets knocked out next time? Say if you take her on a normal run and don't kill the rat shaman, if she dies she'll simply go back to the jagged nails club but if she's a permanent party member doesn't she now run the risk of permanently dying?

Nope! If she joins as a 'permanent' party member and then dies while working with you, she goes back to the Jagged Nails Club and you have to recruit her as normal. That is, with money.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
What's meant by "permanent" party member is that Kitsune* won't at some point stop you when you enter a new area and tell you, "It's time for me to leave Jake, I feel like I have earned my money." Runners do this after a certain number of battles (I'll have to look up the formula for it, someone on GameFAQs figured it out), but it's basically "X amount of battles completed** / amount of nuyen paid = Y runner will stick around for Z battles before leaving".

* If kept alive through the encounter with the Rat shaman and everything after that.
** Completed in this case meaning the encounter music stopped and the hitman/whatever is dead now.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Is there anything stopping a runner from becoming a Goro with four shooty arms, or one of those MGS triple-arm-bots?

Chokes McGee posted:

Remember mi, mon? When mi burn down ya buai, mi sound jus like dis!

:lol:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Chard posted:

Is there anything stopping a runner from becoming a Goro with four shooty arms, or one of those MGS triple-arm-bots?

:lol:

Yes, there is- it's extraordinarily difficult to get a brain that's used to four limbs to control more than that. What part of the brain do you hook it up to?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Booooo quad-katanas seems 100% shadowrun to me.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Chard posted:

Booooo quad-katanas seems 100% shadowrun to me.

Taking two monofilament whips is both more awesome and more stupid. Also, possible!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The thing you have to understand about Shadowrun with regards to things like its level of cybernetic augmentation technology is that Shadowrun was first released in 1989. Its level of cybertech was influenced a lot by cyberpunk fiction in the vein of William Gibson or Walter Jon Williams. Molly Millions, the quintessential street samurai from Gibson's sprawl trilogy, has blades under her fingernails, mirrorshade implants over her eyes, and I think boosted reflexes and that's it.

Despite the setting of Shadowrun continuing to advance chronologically over the years (the first edition took place in the 2050's, the latest is in the 2070's) technology has remained fairly stagnant not for any in-universe reason but because if you change a game's various doodads too much nerds get real shirty, so the Shadowrunners of 2070 are basically using the same stuff that they were 25+ years ago...the biggest real addition was the wholesale adoption of bioware which was originally featured in a supplement and got promoted to "core rulebook" status...which means that everything's also stuck in that same general mindset too.

Full conversion cyborgs ala Ghost in the Shell or Revengeance don't exist, the closest you can get is something called cybermancy (which is a special type of ritual that lets a person go into negative essence worth of cyberware but it really fucks you up six ways from Sunday and puts you in hock to a corporation and so it isn't really a player option so much as a thing the GM throws at you) and in the 4th Edition they introduced brain-in-a-jar cyborgs but they're kind of clunky and also have a host of problems and basically Shadowrun really wants to discourage you from that sort of thing. No quad-arm setups, no foot-hands, there are tails but they aren't prehensile and are strictly for enhanced balance, etc.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

I didn't know ao oni was in this game.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
What exactly does going under zero essence entail?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Zeniel posted:

You basically have to undergo a horrible sorcery ritual to bind your soul to your dead body. Since your body really, really wants to die, you need to constantly be on a diet of anti-cancer drugs and other things to keep your body from just deciding to kill itself. Also, your mind doesn't want to die much less.

On the other hand, because a cyberzombie is entirely packed with Delta-grade cybertech, it means you are an absolute monster in a fight. Also, you gain magic. No, seriously, you become a spirit, and thus can use magic (at a very low level), IIRC. You also can punch spirits in the face, and gain magical protection against normal weapons. Given that you're combining that with almost 100% guaranteed heavy combat cyberware, you can probably take direct hits from tanks and give negative fucks about it.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Zeniel posted:

As was mentioned earlier it means your soul fails to recognize your body as it's rightful host and it tries to bugger off. For most people this means they simply die.
To prevent that some rear end in a top hat corp mages spend a lot of time, magic power and ritual doodads to chain your soul to your overstuffed body and you become a Cyberzombie. So being a Cyberzombie is really bad. I have an old rulebook that introduces them and it has quite some fluff written from the perspective of one such zombie: The magic bonds have to be renewed every few months or you'll die anyway. And to top things off you are constantly kept pumped full with a cocktail of drugs against the various mental disorders that develop from having your soul not being in harmony with your body. How there's even an implant that stimulate your memories to make you care for a bit longer.

So in summary you belong to a megacorp, you need expensive soul and body maintenance and eventually you'll die despite everyone's best efforts because your mind will get too tired of this poo poo and no amount of magic or scientific prodding will convince you otherwise. Your fucks to give steadily and rapidly decrease until you just don't even care whether you live or die. So if you survive all your missions to this point one day your handlers will find you slumped over dead with no apparent cause of death.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

apostateCourier posted:

Yes, there is- it's extraordinarily difficult to get a brain that's used to four limbs to control more than that. What part of the brain do you hook it up to?

Wow. That makes more sense than almost anything I've read regarding a tabletop game. As in, that would probably be one of the (probably very many) limitations scientists faced in real life if they attempted to graft additional limbs to a human body.

apostateCourier posted:

Taking two monofilament whips is both more awesome and more stupid. Also, possible!

So basically, Mickey Rourke from Iron Man 2?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
On the other hand, heh, there's a relatively rare magical mutation called Shiva arms. It's either part of a set of random mutations that usually turns you into a furry, but there's also a stable new subspecies called Narataki, which get that and red or blue or gold-colored skin.
You can totally build a six armed gunslinger, but you have to divide your dice pool uo between those six guns. Best to use the grenade pistols.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The Cyberzombie seems only really useful for making boss fights. Since boss fights rarely translate well to P&P RPGs, that limits the usefulness further to video and computer Shadowrun games. I suppose you could use them to give the player a "oh poo poo, run away, run away!" moment.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Crystalgate posted:

The Cyberzombie seems only really useful for making boss fights. Since boss fights rarely translate well to P&P RPGs, that limits the usefulness further to video and computer Shadowrun games. I suppose you could use them to give the player a "oh poo poo, run away, run away!" moment.

The Dragonfall DLC does something pretty good with the idea. But I'll say no more than that.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

Hivac posted:

I didn't know ao oni was in this game.

Now I can never unsee that from him.

I'm guessing you have a plan that eventually shows off all the shadowrunners in the game? If not, shame on you for ignoring one of the best runners in the game that we have yet to see. <:mad:>

I also saw you complaining about your runners taking a tendency to group up during battle. There's actually a way to stop that. In battle you put your hand cursor over then like you'll want to talk to them or examine them, then when you hit B you'll get an option to tell them to go somewhere. You can also exploit a cheap but silly tactic too using the target option that pops up as well.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 26, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MJ12 posted:

On the other hand, because a cyberzombie is entirely packed with Delta-grade cybertech, it means you are an absolute monster in a fight. Also, you gain magic. No, seriously, you become a spirit, and thus can use magic (at a very low level), IIRC. You also can punch spirits in the face, and gain magical protection against normal weapons. Given that you're combining that with almost 100% guaranteed heavy combat cyberware, you can probably take direct hits from tanks and give negative fucks about it.

Just a quick correction to this but you don't gain magic by being a cyberzombie, you gain anti-magic, as in you literally become an unnatural sucking void in astral space like a walking abomination against god and man (which you are, basically) and magic just sort of fizzles off of you. This has its downsides as it means that beneficial magic doesn't really do much for you either, but at that point you probably don't care for a variety of reasons.

Crystalgate has the right of it in that they're basically supposed to be boss monster type "you should run away from this" things, though to be honest about it actually going through the process of writing up an NPC as a cyberzombie...that is to say building that NPC by the rules, going through and giving them a bazillion essence worth of cyberware and adding up all those modifiers...is such a spergy pain in the rear end that most GMs who feel like throwing one at their players probably just make some poo poo up anyway.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
A friend of mine DM'd a game of shadowrun and one of the players got his hands on a plasma pistol. Years later I was surprised to learn that Shadowrun doesn't have plasma weapons, so clearly the DM was making stuff up. (I'm wholeheartedly in favour of that sort of thing.)

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Just a quick correction to this but you don't gain magic by being a cyberzombie, you gain anti-magic, as in you literally become an unnatural sucking void in astral space like a walking abomination against god and man (which you are, basically) and magic just sort of fizzles off of you. This has its downsides as it means that beneficial magic doesn't really do much for you either, but at that point you probably don't care for a variety of reasons.
You gain anti-magic, but magic is needed to prevent you from spontaneously dying. I sense certain difficulties with the process.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Crystalgate posted:

You gain anti-magic, but magic is needed to prevent you from spontaneously dying. I sense certain difficulties with the process.

Yeah. There are many reasons cyberzombies don't last long.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

Yeah. There are many reasons cyberzombies don't last long.

As of 4E, they've broken the six month limit for cyberzombies. Before that, when the process was in its infancy, cyberzombies basically never lasted for more than six months after the ritual. One of the rumors is that given that they've cracked the lifespan issue and can keep people caring, cyberzombies 'now' can achieve indefinite lifespans.

Canon confirms that there's at least one cyberzombie who's been undead for five years and is still going "strong". He is more than a little nuts though.

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 26, 2014

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So a lot of people have been going on about the Cyberzombies, and I'd like to say that that poo poo is hella hosed up and how did it even come about? Seriously, who had the idea to do this? It's really interesting (though still innately horrible).

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

bman in 2288 posted:

So a lot of people have been going on about the Cyberzombies, and I'd like to say that that poo poo is hella hosed up and how did it even come about? Seriously, who had the idea to do this? It's really interesting (though still innately horrible).

Aztechnology. Or "The only reason the dictionary doesn't have our logo as a picture for the definition of 'evil' is because 'evil' is too nice a word to describe us."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

your evil twin posted:

A friend of mine DM'd a game of shadowrun and one of the players got his hands on a plasma pistol. Years later I was surprised to learn that Shadowrun doesn't have plasma weapons, so clearly the DM was making stuff up. (I'm wholeheartedly in favour of that sort of thing.)

It's got lasers though! Sadly at the point in time the SNES game is set in laser weapons were million-dollar prototypes, but a couple editons down the road they've gotten them down to an easily affordable five-figure pricetag.

bman in 2288 posted:

The answer to "who had this incredibly hosed up idea?" in Shadowrun is always always always "corporations" because it's a grim cyberpunk future so duh. Corporations have been trying to do crazy, hosed-up poo poo with magic ever since magic came back to the world, they've been trying to find ways to cram more and more cyberware into people since someone discovered that putting too much into a person made them spontaneously stop living, sooner or later someone was gonna put two and two together.

Here's an example of the crazy poo poo corporations get up to...as far back as the first edition of the game one of the background setting elements was the Renraku megacorporation's incredibly ambitious arcology project in Seattle, a completely enclosed, completely self-sustaining, and completely extraterritorial megastructure designed to house 100,000 Renraku employees, their families, R&D facilities, shopping megamalls, schools, the works. All run by a cutting edge artificial intelligence.

Almost immediately after the arcology is completed the AI in charge locks the place down trapping all 100,000+ people inside and begins to recreate System Shock writ large. The Renraku Arcology disaster is a major metaplot moment that results in, among other things, the AI uploading itself into the heads of a bunch of "survivors" and escaping the arcology before trying to upload itself to the Matrix and take over the world. This results in a global internet crash that causes all sorts of poo poo to go down before things finally rock back into what passes for equilibrium.

Despite nearly unleashing an omnicidal AI with delusions of godhood on the world, Renraku is still around doing business as usual.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Blackray Jack posted:

I'm guessing you have a plan that eventually shows off all the shadowrunners in the game? If not, shame on you for ignoring one of the best runners in the game that we have yet to see. <:mad:>

If you're talking about a certain red haired gentleman who hangs out in the Wastelands club, you'll be seeing him very soon. :haw:

Andy Waltfeld posted:

I don't remember there being an Ibn in SR2, but there was a Carlos and he got ganked as a result of...no, wait, he got involved with the Brotherhood, not the Sons of Samedi. So that torpedoes any vaguely Rastafarian involvement in his demise.

That was actually a reference to a (completely loving unwatchable aside from Grace's commentary :froggonk:) VLP I did of Jungle Strike, where my co-commentator brought up a song called "Jungle Dance". Jangadance's face is roughly how I felt every time that song was sung.

This belongs in an art museum :allears:

Also really enjoying the Shadowrun chat, I've honestly never heard of cyberzombies and I'm a little sad I didn't. :stare:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

My first exposure to arcologies was in SimCity 2000 and I would always beeline for them because the :krad: concept. Nothing has changed in the subsequent years.

And then they blast off into space!

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Chard posted:

My first exposure to arcologies was in SimCity 2000 and I would always beeline for them because the :krad: concept. Nothing has changed in the subsequent years.

And then they blast off into space!

If the Renraku Arcology looked liked that and not like a sinister black hundred-story pyramid, maybe they could have averted the whole disaster.

your evil twin posted:

It's a classic Shadowrun plot. Here is some fantastic one-of-a-kind piece of technology! The people who made it want it back and are willing to kill anyone who has seen it. Good luck!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

IMJack posted:

If the Renraku Arcology looked liked that and not like a sinister black hundred-story pyramid, maybe they could have averted the whole disaster.

I'm always gonna be so cut that the FPS Shadowrun was borderline irrelevant to Shadowrun :(

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's always been kind of disappointing to me that Shadowrun hasn't ever been explored more in video games. You had the Genesis and SNES titles which were both fun in their own way, but then you had the lovely FPS and only recently have we gotten some modern Shadowrun games that actually vaguely resemble Shadowrun. It's a property with an absolute ton of setting and background to draw from (or ignore) and "like cyberpunk but with magic and orks" somehow manages to reside in that perfect balance between goofy and cool.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I'm still kind of hoping that someone eventually makes a mod of Renraku Arcology:Shutdown for the new Shadowrun. I was going to do it myself, but I'm pretty bad at designing these sorts of things.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I'm slowly learning that asking about lore from this setting is a lot of horrible, and I desire more. Because, if I'm going to be honest, nothing quite captures my attention like "we can perform horrific crimes against humanity, but no one stops us". And detailed lore. Detailed lore is like my crack-cocaine.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Zeniel posted:

I'm still kind of hoping that someone eventually makes a mod of Renraku Arcology:Shutdown for the new Shadowrun. I was going to do it myself, but I'm pretty bad at designing these sorts of things.

I would really love to do this, but the sheer scale of the building would make it an absurdly huge number of maps.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One of the things I loved about System Shock 2 was that the crazy corper poo poo that almost ended the world resulted in the people rising up against the corporations and re-installing actual governments, because gently caress corporations.

Admittedly, Tri-Op survives the process and remains enormously rich, it just isn't one of the rulers of the world anymore.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well, Corporations may be states unto themselves but they are actually pretty wary of loving with many of the remaining Nation States. Unless you're Aztechnology and all your business is actually being funneled into mass charnel sacrifices to bring back the ancient old horrors from an entirely different game line. Because god knows if Shadowrun doesn't have enough lorebits for you feel free to look up Earthdawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

I would really love to do this, but the sheer scale of the building would make it an absurdly huge number of maps.

Well it doesn't have to be the entire arcology. Just an interesting take on the whole scenario with a number of choice locations and events.

How to start the thing though... Are they runners paid to raid the arcology, or are they trapped in there to begin with or what?

• Locked thread