Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Heath posted:

This post is from like 3 months ago but this was exactly my reaction to Camus. I was completely indifferent to The Stranger and I loved The Plague. I tried to read The Fall but the second person narrative was weird

I second this

The Fall is his most interesting work, imo

he does terrible things with the unreliable narrator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I def wanna go back to it sometime soon. I just finished The Handmaid's Tale and enjoyed that a lot so perhaps I will revisit The Fall

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Needing something different, I found Of Mice and Men on my kindle and read it. I'm really glad that we didn't read this in high school, because I wouldn't have appreciated it. (We did have to read the Pearl, which I hated because I hated all the characters. But I was a pretty stupid and jaded teenager, so my opinion may have been terrible.) I already knew how it ended because we watched the movie in high school. But the ending still got me. Poor Lennie.

I normally tear through a story, but for some reason, I had to go slow with this one. Something about the writing style, I guess?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I haven't read The Pearl since high school either, but I think you're supposed to be critical of the characters at the very least since they're all succumbing to greed or whatever.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
That'd make sense. I think I got to the end and was disgusted. Like "wait, that's it? They're worse off than before?" I don't think I necessarily expected a happy ending, but I don't think I was expecting that.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
hi whats a good book for me to read that is available for free legitimately. im a big idiot whos read almost nothing

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

jsoh posted:

hi whats a good book for me to read that is available for free legitimately. im a big idiot whos read almost nothing

Metamorphoses

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

jsoh posted:

The Man Who Was Thursday, A Nightmare by G. K. Chesterton.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I just finished The Sickness Unto Death and it is both more difficult and less interesting than Fear and Trembling but still pretty cool. Now I'm probably going to read some weird anarcho-primitivist essays because I love how crazy they are even if I'm frequently disappointed that their genocide advocation is always implicit and never explicit.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

jsoh posted:

Moby Dick

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

jsoh posted:

Go on https://www.gutenberg.org
search for Moby Dick, Notes from Underground, The Trial (Kafka), Bartleby the Scrivener, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Dubliners, or The Bible (KJV).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Go to the library all them books are free

Planetarium
Apr 19, 2003

Grimey Drawer

CestMoi posted:

I just finished The Sickness Unto Death and it is both more difficult and less interesting than Fear and Trembling but still pretty cool. Now I'm probably going to read some weird anarcho-primitivist essays because I love how crazy they are even if I'm frequently disappointed that their genocide advocation is always implicit and never explicit.

which ones because against his-story against leviathan is not nearly as exciting as the design leads one to believe

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Guy A. Person posted:

Go to the library all them books are free

A lot of them do e-books now so you don't even need to leave the house!

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
but then you won't see the cute librarians

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Planetarium posted:

which ones because against his-story against leviathan is not nearly as exciting as the design leads one to believe

I've got that lined up but I'm currently reading some essays by Feral Faun who isn't as anarcho-primitivist as you'd think based on his name just sort of Stirnerist. My search for an anarcho-primitivist who actually says step one of their plan is the death of billions continues.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

CestMoi posted:

I've got that lined up but I'm currently reading some essays by Feral Faun who isn't as anarcho-primitivist as you'd think based on his name just sort of Stirnerist. My search for an anarcho-primitivist who actually says step one of their plan is the death of billions continues.

Read Ted Kaczynski

Planetarium
Apr 19, 2003

Grimey Drawer

CestMoi posted:

honestly I would skip it or preview it for free; if you have an okay history background you will know basically everything Perlman says

i have been meaning to read wolfi landstreicher and will check out those essays

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CestMoi posted:

Just do Invisible Cities again and keep doing it I liked that one

He should do The Nonexistent Knight

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Read Ted Kaczynski
I don't think he'd be happy with being called an anarcho primitivist: http://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/ted-kaczynski-the-truth-about-primitive-life-a-critique-of-anarchoprimitivism

CestMoi posted:

My search for an anarcho-primitivist who actually says step one of their plan is the death of billions continues.

Pentti Linkola basically wants to do that, but he's a deep ecologist rather than an anarcho primitivist(I think there's some overlap there but they're not the same thing). He also thinks the holocaust was good because it reduced the human population.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

a lot of anarcho-primatists call for human genocide but not a lot that have published (legit publishers bat least.,) will out right say it. so far dorris lessing's the good terrorist is ftw and some of the characters remind me of people i used to hang with.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A human heart posted:

Pentti Linkola basically wants to do that, but he's a deep ecologist rather than an anarcho primitivist(I think there's some overlap there but they're not the same thing). He also thinks the holocaust was good because it reduced the human population.

Lmao awesome and also I agree.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

a lot of anarcho-primatists call for human genocide but not a lot that have published (legit publishers bat least.,) will out right say it. so far dorris lessing's the good terrorist is ftw and some of the characters remind me of people i used to hang with.

Yeah I guessed it was an assumed position that anyone that was a smart enough writer to seem legitimate was also smart enough to not really say. I just got annoyed with reading Bob Black and having him never commit to an actual position and then reading John Zerzan and having him constantly be like "it would be good if everyone was hunter gatherers and we all had a good time I will never mention how I plan to get 7 billion humans living off foraging".

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Planetarium posted:

i have been meaning to read wolfi landstreicher and will check out those essays

Feral Revolution has good essays and catchy phrases.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah human genocide and primitive society is pretty funny. Kind of reminds me of Baudrillard's fatal theories with the spectacle and commodities of mother nature being pushed to its catastrophic conclusion.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Meiosis by Calvino has the best twist of any short story I have ever read.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
I'm reading fear and trembling and it's quite good.

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 8, 2015

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I'm reading a book of futurist manifestos, which are cool if you want lots of hot blooded Italians ranting about how bad all other art is.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

A human heart posted:

I'm reading a book of futurist manifestos, which are cool if you want lots of hot blooded Italians ranting about how bad all other art is.

How many fascism boners have you seen

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Finally finished City on Fire after reading the last 300 pages in 12 hours (some sleep thrown in the middle there) and wow. That was masterful writing, almost perfect pacing, and such great characters. The ending got a little too ambiguous for me in some scenes, which was frustrating given how frenetic everything else was during that final part where everything is all coming together, but that was still one of the best books I've read in the last few years. Stunning prose.

Now on to A Visit from the Goon Squad, for something shorter.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

CestMoi posted:

Meiosis by Calvino has the best twist of any short story I have ever read.

counterpoint: nabokov's 'the vane sisters'

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Isn't City on Fire the book that was supposed supposed to be THE BOOK OF THE YEAR
Jonathan Franzens crappiest novel Purity has 3 times more ratings and better rating on amazon

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Italian futurists were the best because they thought war was the height of technology and art and they loved war, then war happened and they all joined up and went to war, and now there are no more Italian futurists.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Actually only one or two of them got killed in the war, most survived but eventually dwindled out into irrelevancy(or stopped doing art in a futurist style) because Mussolini came to power and wasn't radical enough by their standards(mainly because he was a practical politician who had to make deals with existing political entities like the church).

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Futurism was a movement spearheaded by the Toad of Toad Hall of the art world.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A human heart posted:

The Technical Manifesto of Futurist Literature is really great it starts with "It is imperative to destroy syntax" and just gets cooler from there.

Guy comparing F T Marinetti to Mr Toad; you'd better have meant that as a good thing.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

mallamp posted:

Isn't City on Fire the book that was supposed supposed to be THE BOOK OF THE YEAR
Jonathan Franzens crappiest novel Purity has 3 times more ratings and better rating on amazon

Better rating on Amazon you say? Well then I take it all back

All the critics, based on my googling, either loved it or liked it a lot but thought it should have been a hundred pages or so shorter and that the ending didn't live up to the rest of the book. I loved it and thought the ending, while not wholly satisfactory, was still great.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 9, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

mallamp posted:

Goodreads said Go Set a Watchman was the best novel of the year.

Popular opinion on books means jack poo poo

Also Novel of the year is pretty clearly A Little Life if we're going to go by abundant critical praise.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also Novel of the year is pretty clearly A Little Life if we're going to go by abundant critical praise.

Huh. This is the first I have heard of this book.
http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/the-subversive-brilliance-of-a-little-life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Goodreads said Go Set a Watchman was the best novel of the year.

Popular opinion on books means jack poo poo

Goodreads also ranks Harry Potter/Twilight/The Hunger Games against any classic novel you can name, and there was that one New York Times(?) poll where Atlas Shrugged was voted to be the greatest book ever written.