Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Bleeding Edge was probably my least favorite Pynchon book. I thought I would love it a little more since it takes place in my own coming-of-age wheelhouse rather than being set in the 60s or whatever but I found that to actually be a detriment. None of the characters are even slightly memorable to me. It could just be that tech stuff bores me in general though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I am about halfway through Dictionary of the Khazars (the neutral version I guess since I got it through the Kindle Library) and it is really good. Any tips on ways to keep track of different meta-plots or should I just let stuff wash over me? Right now I have just been reading and enjoying the writing then if I recognize some recurring character I am like "oh yeah I remember that dude!"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Guy A. Person posted:

I am about halfway through Dictionary of the Khazars (the neutral version I guess since I got it through the Kindle Library) and it is really good. Any tips on ways to keep track of different meta-plots or should I just let stuff wash over me? Right now I have just been reading and enjoying the writing then if I recognize some recurring character I am like "oh yeah I remember that dude!"

You really can just read it however you want. I flipped back and forth a lot to crossreference people, though it is probably harder to do that with an ebook. Reading one of the sections all the way through is fine, too, though.

A really drat good book.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah, I might end up buying a physical copy as well to flip around, it really is great. I definitely want to go back through the 3 main sections for Brankovich, Masudi and Cohen, now that I see how they all tie together. Also probably the Ateh sections to compare how she is described in each book. Really I just kinda want to reread the whole thing haha.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
What's the deal with the different versions? I think I have the female version lying in a box.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

thehomemaster posted:

What's the deal with the different versions? I think I have the female version lying in a box.

Its a single line. not very exciting honestly, kind of gimmicky.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Guy A. Person posted:

The plots add up only marginally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Guy A. Person posted:

You can take the book apart and make schizoid charts all over your walls with multicolored yarn connecting poo poo to each other or you could read it casually and just bask in the weirdness. Whatever floats your boat.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

So I read a lot of Real Literature, but I'm still a loving Child, please help?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Pursuant to the thread title, I just finished Lolita.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I read a lot of Real Literature and I'm still loving a child, so

Hey speaking of which does anyone else want to talk with me about Maldoror. No one ever wants to talk with me about Maldoror.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Kinbote is literature's greatest villain

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

corn in the bible posted:

Kinbote is literature's greatest villain

It's robotnik backwards.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Anyone into Michael Ondaatje? I read In the Skin of a Lion awhile back, really enjoyed it and I've been thinking about reading The English Patient. Some people say it's boring, but I wonder if that's the influence of the movie?

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Just wanna say that I'm pretty goddamn psyched that Laszlo K. won the Booker and more of his stuff's being translated.

remember
Nov 23, 2006
http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2014/07/03/thawing-out/

So I ran into this article on Soviet literature and I hadn't really heard of any of it besides Bulgakov. Are any of those Soviet authors worth tracking down or were they only red because the Soviet Union was the big bad? I read Master and the Margarita and enjoyed it but I think the most fascinating thing about it was that it was not published until after Stalin's death.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Kent Haruf's last novel came out today :smith:

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

wangvicous posted:

http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2014/07/03/thawing-out/

So I ran into this article on Soviet literature and I hadn't really heard of any of it besides Bulgakov. Are any of those Soviet authors worth tracking down or were they only red because the Soviet Union was the big bad? I read Master and the Margarita and enjoyed it but I think the most fascinating thing about it was that it was not published until after Stalin's death.

Doctor Zhivago,Day in Life of Ivan Denishovic, and some Akhmatova collection should be good enough unless you have deeper soviet interest.
(This is not spaceship thread but maybe you're interested in We,Solaris,Roadside Picnic - big 3 of soviet scifi)
Next step: Mayakovsky, Isaac Babel,Moscow to the End of Line

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Babel's Red Cavalry story collection is excellent, just read the first story in the book ('Crossing the River Zbrucz') off the Amazon preview pages and that'll be enough to tell you whether it's your kinda thing, probably

Smrtz
May 26, 2015

BeanBandit posted:

Uhhh, if you think Terry Pratchett's latest isn't the Ulysses of our time, then I don't know what to tell you OP.

Just started reading Disk world at the recommendation of a friend. Couldn't get into The Color of Magic, but I'm really liking Going Postal. What should I read next?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Smrtz posted:

Just started reading Disk world at the recommendation of a friend. Couldn't get into The Color of Magic, but I'm really liking Going Postal. What should I read next?

Wrong thread friend, but I recommend Mort

Smrtz
May 26, 2015

Smoking Crow posted:

Wrong thread friend, but I recommend Mort

Ahh, sorry. I just made my account earlier yesterday, so I guess I'm still learning...

I'll grab it on Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Smrtz posted:

The Iliad, The Aeneid, The Bible (KJV).

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

The Bible (KJV).
Hebrew version actually, translations are for plebs

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

mallamp posted:

Hebrew version actually, translations are for plebs

Septuagint 4 lyfe

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Smrtz posted:

Wrong thread indeed but if you want a very basic Big Boy Lit for Fantasy Nerds suggestion, start with Borges.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Smrtz posted:

Ahh, sorry. I just made my account earlier yesterday, so I guess I'm still learning...

I'll grab it on Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation!

You want the Terry Pratchett thread, or the general SFF thread.

Borges is a solid recommendation anyway though.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I have read very very little classic literature, reccomend me a good first book to start with please.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Quandary posted:

I have read very very little classic literature, reccomend me a good first book to start with please.

What types of books do you like already

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Quandary posted:

Graham Greene. Nothing too convoluted in prose or structure. I would recommend The Power and the Glory, The Comedians, or the collection Twenty-One Stories.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Raymond Chandler. Brisky, punchy prose with some great wit, and it's fun trying to untangle the plots.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Been reading One Hundred Years of Solitude. Only four chapters in, and I'm already completely captivated by the goings on of Macondo and the Buendia family.

I find it fun how cram packed each individual chapter is so far. Maybe it's just because I came off of reading The Big Sleep, but each chapter here feels more like an individual little short story than what I'm typically used to reading in a novel.

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

Raxivace posted:

Been reading One Hundred Years of Solitude. Only four chapters in, and I'm already completely captivated by the goings on of Macondo and the Buendia family.

I find it fun how cram packed each individual chapter is so far. Maybe it's just because I came off of reading The Big Sleep, but each chapter here feels more like an individual little short story than what I'm typically used to reading in a novel.

Gabriel Garcia Marquez is amazing. He is the master of magic realism.

I'd also recommend his The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_a_Shipwrecked_Sailor). It's a short read.

I came to this thread to recommend a book by Mika Waltari, it's called Sinuhe, the Egyptian.
It tells a story from the perspective of an Egyptian physician living in the times of the Pharaohs (right after Akhenaten's death).

It's loving awesome.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Quandary posted:

Gogol's short stories, particularly The Nose and The Overcoat. There's a Penguin Classics with those and Nevsky Prospekt, Diary of a Madman and the play The Revizor. They're easy and amusing, but absolutely foundational to all of 19th century and modern Russian literature.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

janssendalt posted:

Gabriel Garcia Marquez is amazing. He is the master of magic realism.

I'd also recommend his The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_a_Shipwrecked_Sailor). It's a short read.

I'll have to look into that one. Is The General and His Labyrinth good? The Wikipedia article made it sound pretty neat, so I was thinking about ordering a copy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Raxivace posted:

I'll have to look into that one. Is The General and His Labyrinth good? The Wikipedia article made it sound pretty neat, so I was thinking about ordering a copy.

His best book is Love in the Time of Cholera if you want to follow up on 100 Years.

100 Years is the classic, but goddamn if Love in the Time of Cholera isn't the masterpiece

His novellas are pretty great too, In Evil Hour and Chronicle of a Death Foretold are both quick reads that are fantastic.

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

Quandary posted:

You can't go wrong with these:

Moby Dick

Robinson Crusoe

Brave New World

The Catcher in the Rye

The Odyssey

Don Quixote

The Divine Comedy

Dracula

The Old Man and the Sea

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Oliver Twist

Some are rather more lighter reading than the others, but they are all still compelling stories.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

janssendalt posted:

You can't go wrong with these:

Moby Dick

Robinson Crusoe

Brave New World

The Catcher in the Rye

The Odyssey

Don Quixote

The Divine Comedy

Dracula

The Old Man and the Sea

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Oliver Twist

Some are rather more lighter reading than the others, but they are all still compelling stories.

That is literally about four years worth of reading, and "compelling story" is about the stupidest loving description you could come up with for, like, Dante or Homer. And the easily approachable books out of those are bad.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Which ones are easily approachable and bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

His best book is Love in the Time of Cholera if you want to follow up on 100 Years.

100 Years is the classic, but goddamn if Love in the Time of Cholera isn't the masterpiece

His novellas are pretty great too, In Evil Hour and Chronicle of a Death Foretold are both quick reads that are fantastic.

I accidentally picked up LEaf Storm once thinking it was something else and that's a good one too.