Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smack632
Dec 31, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Texas Politics: i can't wait to vote against this prick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I live in D7 so I will be voting against a different prick :(

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I'm glad they found a vest color that matched his face.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
At least we now know that he has completely abandoned his presidential pipe dream.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Doom Rooster posted:

At least we now know that he has completely abandoned his presidential pipe dream.

Or he's taken the wrong lesson from Trump and decided that all he was missing for his next run was "reality TV experience".

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Blue Bell adding to their body count?

http://kxan.com/2016/09/21/listeria-potentially-found-in-blue-bell-products-sparking-new-recall/

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Denton just bought a dumbass $250 million gas plant.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

foot posted:

Our city council was loving lovely about the whole thing too. Pushed back the vote til well after most people felt comfortable staying up to voice their disapproval. Just pathetic.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Shinjobi posted:

Our city council was loving lovely about the whole thing too. Pushed back the vote til well after most people felt comfortable staying up to voice their disapproval. Just pathetic.

Just a great example of how lovely municipal politics are in general.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

foot posted:

Is that what Jason Lee is doing up there now?

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Jiro posted:

Is that what Jason Lee is doing up there now?

One of Denton's best venues shut down a few months ago, here's what a local music/satire blog had to say

https://dentonian.com/2016/03/24/rubber-gloves-becoming-jason-lee-skate-park/

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Municipal government is the go to for middling business people to play global entrepreneur but with someone else's money.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
Texas Threatens to Withdraw from Refugee Resettlement Program

quote:

As part of its ongoing fight to keep Syrian refugees out of the state, Texas is threatening to withdraw from the nation's refugee resettlement program if federal officials refuse to “unconditionally approve” a state plan requiring additional vetting of relocated people.

Republican Gov. Greg Abbott on Wednesday said the state had informed the Office of Refugee Resettlement that it would leave the program unless the feds approved its plan to only accept refugees who “are fully vetted and do not present a security threat.”

“Despite multiple requests by the state of Texas, the federal government lacks the capability or the will to distinguish the dangerous from the harmless, and Texas will not be an accomplice to such dereliction of duty to the American people,” Abbott said in a statement.

In response to Abbott's announcement, federal officials said refugees are only settled in the United States after stringent security screenings. Security officials with the state department process applications received through the United Nations and conduct background and biometric screenings — a process that can take up to two years. Once refugees are cleared, one of nine national resettlement organizations place them in communities across the country, where local nonprofits contracted by the state use federal dollars to help them find jobs, learn English and enroll children in school.

If Texas withdraws from the federal refugee resettlement program, it doesn't mean refugees would stop flowing to the state; the federal government could distribute money directly to nonprofit groups here. Resettlement officials have said the U.S. Refugee Act of 1980 allows the federal government to designate an entity other than a state government to serve as the state refugee coordinator and disburse funding — a set-up currently in place in six states.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Texas is also leading the suit against the new overtime rules :jerkbag:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Badger of Basra posted:

Shameful. It'd be nice if our state leaders weren't awful.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Badger of Basra posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...79b1_story.html

I saw that, and I'm wondering if during the lawsuit the law must be followed, or if this is going to essentially delay it.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

e_angst posted:

Texas Politics: i can't wait to vote against this prick

The Texan Voters' Creed

edit: I went to a refugee resettlement hearing at the Capitol earlier this year, which was mainly our Health and Public Safety people explaining to Naishtat why violating federal law is a good idea. He wasn't having it.

PsychedelicWarlord fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 22, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Badger of Basra posted:

Ah yes only the finest of forum shopping will do for those governors.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Badger of Basra posted:

You mean the Firm is located in Texas, and most of its lawyers aren't even from Texas.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The overtime lawsuit is basically Red States v Obama

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Spacebump posted:

Shameful. It'd be nice if our state leaders weren't awful.

People thought it was a clown show during the GWB era. And it just gets worse.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Dan Patrick doubling down on being an rear end in a top hat. Turbofuck that guy.

http://www.wfaa.com/mb/news/local/texas-news/police-are-dead-because-of-black-lives-matter-dan-patrick-says/325115368

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
:derp: 538 has Nevada going for Trump again and Hillary back below 60% :derp:

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

Dr Christmas posted:

:derp: 538 has Nevada going for Trump again and Hillary back below 60% :derp:

The gently caress does that have to do with Texas politics?
Get the hell out of here, K-Mart Brand Arzy

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Hey look, Dawnna Dukes makes headlines again with another poor decision.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/local/reports-state-rep-dawnna-dukes-to-retire-citing-me/nsfTx/

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

This is a great way to have the seat flip.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/mwatkinstrib/status/781313358033199105

Getting real sick of this dude.

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

foot posted:

Eh its replacing a big coal fired plant and will probably enable more investment in wind / solar in the future. Also, rubber gloves was always a poo poo hole and im tired of the jason lee jokes.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

slouch posted:

Eh its replacing a big coal fired plant and will probably enable more investment in wind / solar in the future. Also, rubber gloves was always a poo poo hole and im tired of the jason lee jokes.

Cool. You're wrong about literally everything.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

foot posted:

Cool. You're wrong about literally everything.

Want to be more specific? Those gas plants are peakers , the exact kind that would mesh with a high-renewables grid.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Trabisnikof posted:

Want to be more specific? Those gas plants are peakers , the exact kind that would mesh with a high-renewables grid.

They are replacing a 100 MW coal plant which provides 30% of the city's annual energy with a 200 MW peaker that will provide 13% of the city's annual energy. ERCOT already has excess gas generation, prices per MWh have moved below $30.

There are major concerns with the process, no other manufacturers were considered besides Wärtsilä, even though reciprocating engines are the most expensive and most polluting of all gas peaking generators.

Burns McDonnell, the company that has been awarded an ~$100 million contract to build the plant also produced the air permit, which magically claimed the plant as a minor source.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
the White Lives Matter people were at it again yesterday, insisting that they weren't racist but unable to explain why they decided to protest in front of the ADL. Anyway, here's the tl;dr of that.

Mhite lives matter, y'all!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the gently caress is up with these goddamn clowns?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Aliquid posted:

the gently caress is up with these goddamn clowns?

Texas is helluva drug.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

Texas is helluva drug.

The clown threats thing has gone full meme viral

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I read an article today referring to Dallas as "the Big D." I mentioned this hilarious name to three different people and they all said "yeah everyone calls it that." I can't believe this.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I prefer the Metroplex. Which was coined by an alliance of business interests in the 1970s to promote DFW airport. But I just like the way it sounds.

Metroplex.

It's kinda Dredd sounding. Outside the boundary walls of the Metroplex ... the cursed earth. Also, it could be the name of a gym or 1980s-era dance club.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Metroplex also covers Fort Worth, right? So added bonus, you don't have to listen to those whiners complain about "Oh we're a separate city, stop calling us Dallas."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I just call it Fort Dallas.