Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
FOUR-WHEEL FLIM FLAM!

It's all fair in war and politics but who are the Democrats fooling with this? Is it really helping them more than it's hurting? It just doesn't really work, and then when the Republicans push back, the Dems get defensive.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Omi-Polari posted:

FOUR-WHEEL FLIM FLAM!

It's all fair in war and politics but who are the Democrats fooling with this? Is it really helping them more than it's hurting? It just doesn't really work, and then when the Republicans push back, the Dems get defensive.

:negative:

aaaahaha, at least Lloyd Doggett still has some fire in his belly.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

zoux posted:

Goes. Say goes.

They would just say they are making fun of his incontinence then. No winning when conservatives want to play martyr.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Greg Abbott's accident was always going to be a huge crutch for the Republicans that was just going to disable any attempts by Democrats to criticize him.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
"When a guy in a wheelchair can move faster than Austin traffic...", a direct quote from one of Abbott's ads.

I cry for the future of the Abbott/Patrick Texas.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Rabble posted:

"When a guy in a wheelchair can move faster than Austin traffic...", a direct quote from one of Abbott's ads.

Yep. Add in the fact that this rail plan is going to fail in Austin and we're looking at a new dark age in Central Texas.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

e_angst posted:

Yep. Add in the fact that this rail plan is going to fail in Austin and we're looking at a new dark age in Central Texas.

Don't worry they'll be plenty of bribes to be paid out of the development slush fund so Abbott can brag about all the jobs he's to Texas.

Also he can pretend that he's responsible for the existence of the Barnett and Eagle Ford shale deposits.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If oil and gas prices stay as low as they have been exploration in those regions might not be the economic driver it has been of late.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rabble posted:

From the number of times Greg Abbott's ads bring up his weelchair, you'd think it was the actual candidate.

But don't point out that he fights tooth and nail against Texas paying to put in a single wheelchair ramps in public buildings besides Abbott's office because how dare you make a man's disability into a campaign issue?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

Don't worry they'll be plenty of bribes to be paid out of the development slush fund so Abbott can brag about all the jobs he's to Texas.

Also he can pretend that he's responsible for the existence of the Barnett and Eagle Ford shale deposits.

Is the slush fund transferring over? I thought they were going to start investigating more once Perry was out.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

From the number of times Greg Abbott's ads bring up his weelchair, you'd think it was the actual candidate.

But don't point out that he fights tooth and nail against Texas paying to put in a single wheelchair ramps in public buildings besides Abbott's office because how dare you make a man's disability into a campaign issue?

I can't wait til people starting making the obvious FDR comparisons, not because of his policies.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...black people voting.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

VitalSigns posted:

So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...black people voting.

...and Gobenor Obama

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

...and Gobenor Obama

...and Latino sex....

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Obummer is loving hilarious, and I will never tire of reading it on the comment section of Texas Tribune. Although I'm rather scared of those RED STATE FOREVER types there, they sound kinda serious.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nonsense posted:

Obummer is loving hilarious, and I will never tire of reading it on the comment section of Texas Tribune. Although I'm rather scared of those RED STATE FOREVER types there, they sound kinda serious.

Unless they're young men you probably have nothing to worry about, in that they'll be dead soon and they don't have the means to actually go out and lynch people like they did 40+ years ago.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

From the politoon thread:

:stare:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It's missing a dastardly Mexican wearing a Giants hat about to strike the ten gallon hat wearing douchebag with a baseball bat titled illegal immigration.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Leaving aside how incredibly offensive everything about it is, why is Davis in a wheelchair? Did the cartoonist get confused as to which candidate is the one who can't walk?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

Leaving aside how incredibly offensive everything about it is, why is Davis in a wheelchair? Did the cartoonist get confused as to which candidate is the one who can't walk?

I think Branco is saying that the wheelchair ad sunk her chances :shrug: Branco is one of the worst cartoonists in the world, by whatever metric you want to use.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Branco sounds like Broncos, thus he is irredeemable garbage.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Interesting reported article on Texas Democrat doom from Dave Weigel. Excerpts:

quote:

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/features/2014-10-30/texas-isnt-turning-purple-what-happened

This was not supposed to happen in Texas—not this year, not to Wendy Davis. Twenty-one months after Obama campaign veterans launched Battleground Texas, on the theory that a majority-minority state could become competitive for Democrats, Davis is running far behind Abbott. A University of Texas/Texas Tribune poll released this week found Davis trailing Abbott by 16 points. Among Hispanic voters, the race was almost tied: 48 for Davis, 46 for the Republican.

Battleground never pretended that Democrats could surge to victory in 2014. The point of their effort this year was to reveal that Texas was not actually red; their campaign would wake up the natural progressive voters who never turned out. Battleground Texas would serve as Davis’s de facto mobilization campaign, but the effort would outlast her. Executive Director Jeremy Bird always talked about a generational effort, of raising minority turnout to the level of white turnout and “mobilizing Texans who are already registered but haven’t been making their voices heard.” Even Bill Clinton, whose first thankless assignment in politics was to win Texas for George McGovern, repeated the wisdom that Texas Hispanics were “under-registered,” and just needed to raise their voices.

But what if their voices sing in chorus with Republicans? Democrats hardly considered that. None of the “purple Texas” plans contemplated a Republican candidate pulling 46 percent of the Hispanic vote. They assumed a backlash among Hispanics to the GOP’s right turn, as well as a boost from Davis’s Latina running mate, fellow Sen. Letitia Van De Putte. March’s primaries and May’s runoffs produced a rigidly right-wing ticket, starting with De Putte’s opponent, State Sen. Dan Patrick, a former radio DJ famous for storming out of Muslim prayers in the legislature.

[...]

The majority party’s candidates responded to the Battleground threat with a very strategic panic. They knew that Texas Latinos tended to have deep roots in the state, and weren’t going to embrace the Democrats on immigration the way that more recent immigrants did.

This freed them to act like the dams were breaking along the border. “The state of Texas is coming under a new assault,” Abbott told a crowd of Republicans, “an assault far more dangerous than what the leader of North Korea threatened when he said he was going to add Austin, Texas, as one of the recipients of his nuclear weapons.” He, and the rest of the ticket, would respond to aggressively to non-whites, particularly along the border.

And there was another plank to their Hispanic platform. Davis had risen to national prominence with an epic, and briefly successful, filibuster of an abortion restriction bill. Republicans had numbers, including a 2013 Wilson Perkins Allen survey that found Latinos in the states identifying strongly as “pro-life,” by a 2-1 margin. When he traveled to the valley, Abbott started reminding voters that he, too, was “pro-life and Catholic.” According to strategist Dave Carney, a veteran of Perry’s campaigns, the brain trust looked at the lost Davis counties and identified more than 1 million Hispanic voters who might be receptive to a social, economic conservative message.

Battleground sees this as a ruse. Its organizers point to data that shows registration up by 2 percent over 2012 in the state’s five most populous counties—and up 3.6 percent in El Paso’s Bexar County. Battleground’s 8,600 volunteers had, on average, visited 100 voters’ homes each. That reversed the post-2008, Obama-swoon decline of the Tea Party era. In Davis’s own Fort Worth district and in some other local races, Republicans admit that Battleground may make the Democrats competitive.

But it is inarguable that they are not closing the top-of-the-ticket races with Hispanic votes. The day after Cascos’s barbeque, I meet investor and Democratic mega-donor Alonzo Cantu at his usual table at McAllen’s Peppers restaurant. Cantu, a bundler for Hillary Clinton, had plowed even more money into his own long-term registration effort—the Advocacy Alliance Center of Texas. Cantu’s organizers, drawn from the local business class, used the same Catalist software that Democrats had used to shock Republicans in red and purple suburbs. This election’s goal was to bring turnout up to 25 percent, at least. Next cycle, the target was 40 percent.

“We’ve brought 30, 35 U.S. senators down to see the border,” says Cantu. He slams a fist next to his enchiladas to illustrate his points. “We’ve been changing their impressions of the valley, that it’s some dangerous place, the third world, where you need some kind of bulletproof vest. We have money, then we get the votes—we’re in!”

“In” did not necessarily mean that Valley Hispanics would build the new Democratic majority. Many of the people registered by the new push were going to go for Republicans. Cantu himself had already given $7,500 to Sen. John Cornyn, who’s been just as aggressive as Abbott in wooing Hispanic voters. The donor joked that a Cornyn rally in the county felt “like a Rush Limbaugh event,” but he’d shown up anyway.

Cornyn had reached out to Cantu. Abbott was reaching out to the whole valley.

The GOP approach seems to be working; while Cantu held court, two friends who’d traveled to the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute with him stopped by and talked politics. They were left cold by the president’s approach to the border. They knew about Davis’s abortion filibuster, but couldn’t name anything else she’d achieved.

“There’s a perception that Wendy Davis is pro-abortion, and that’s hard to overcome with us Latinos,” says Cantu. “It’s been hard for her to get away from that.”
More good stuff about how the RGV is more nuanced and really its own place with its own unique relationship with politicians. (Because of course, but this doesn't ever really show up in articles.) I didn't even know about the Eduardo Verastegui ad. Well Abbott has got money to blow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAL6sX-5ZSs

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 31, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shear Modulus posted:

I think the implication is that she's being carted out of a hospital.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

computer parts posted:

I think the implication is that she's being carted out of a hospital.

But she's not in a hospital gown and the Texas guy is a cowboy, not a doctor.

I think the cartoonist just remembered the lengthy history of ads and cartoons with people who want to cut Medicare/SS throwing old ladies off of cliffs and just figured he could copy and paste the metaphor without realizing that it makes no sense whatsoever when applied to a completely different context.

Oh God I've become the cartoon thread haven't I?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Early voting stats!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15mhgxGWMvKgYoEE6_N4H7Evmpvn3RfRtUJudAtruIpk/edit#gid=60604400

Rightmost panel has the total.

Some trends: Turnout up in Tarrant, Bexar (kinda), Nueces, Galveston, Collin, Denton and Hidalgo counties. Tarrant is way up. Turnout down in Harris, Dallas, Travis and El Paso counties. Harris fell off a cliff. But all counties saw a boost on day one.

Tarrant is the state bellweather. What's up with the high turnout? I bet Denton is up because of the fracking ban on the ballot.

This is probably why Tarrant is way up: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/10/29/6241460/fort-worth-is-ground-zero-for.html

But overall, statewide it's down by 6.6 percent so far (today, don't know about all days) with the worst of it in Democratic strongholds. Republicans are going to run away with this.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 31, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Here's how Austin suburbanites do race and gay baiting!

Eww Republicans. But also: Eww single moms, gays and black males.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

Flannigan still has a grindr profile and I don't really understand why.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73k-VyI0rmQ

Badger of Basra posted:

Flannigan still has a grindr profile and I don't really understand why.
Yeah probably not a good idea. But he's got the best ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsMyR9pnakk

I'm in a Twitter hole. More stuff:

Vote Green. Vote Spicybrown.

Oh Matt Stillwell, the aforementioned race and gay-baiter, has the worst ad in the state of Texas, which says a lot, as it also includes mock mafia-style beatings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eIFQx-Qqc4

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 31, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Omi-Polari posted:

Just keepin it weird is all.

Omi-Polari posted:

Interesting reported article on Texas Democrat doom from Dave Weigel. Excerpts:

More good stuff about how the RGV is more nuanced and really its own place with its own unique relationship with politicians. (Because of course, but this doesn't ever really show up in articles.) I didn't even know about the Eduardo Verastegui ad. Well Abbott has got money to blow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAL6sX-5ZSs

It's adorable that people think that we were expecting THIS to be the election that turns us purple. Like I've seen so many gloating right wing "Ha ha you hosed up NOW TEXAS IS OURS FOREVER" and it's gonna be so sad in a couple elections when the shift actually does start.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I'm cross posting this from the Ebola thread because it's really about (IMO) a couple of pretty drat worthwhile Texas Democrats.

----------------------------------

In "hey they really didn't do that bad of a job at all considering the unprecedented circumstances and especially the bullshit now being pulled in the other 49 states" news from Dallas:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/health/Jenkins-Rawlings-Grade-Dissect-Dallas-Ebola-Response-280884732.html

quote:

Thursday, Oct 30, 2014 • Updated at 11:18 PM CDT

Two leaders credited with keeping Dallas-Fort Worth calm during the height of the Ebola threat, Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings and Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins, sat down exclusively with NBC 5 to discuss the crisis, the tense moments behind closed doors and the deeply personal toll curbing the outbreak took on their own lives.

Jenkins, who leads the county's commissioners court, said he tried to lead with compassion but that he and his family were scrutinized publicly after he visited Louise Troh and her family while wearing plain clothes and no protective gear. Troh's family was quarantined at the time, having been exposed to the potentially deadly disease by her fiancee, Thomas Eric Duncan, who was staying with them in Dallas while visiting from Liberia.

Concern swelled after Jenkins then drove the Troh family to a new apartment, again without protective gear.

Duncan was, of course, the first person in the U.S. to be diagnosed with the disease. The virus killed him on Oct. 8, 11 days after he was put into isolation at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas and two weeks after he first became symptomatic.

"I don't want to unnecessarily dress up like a space man and dehumanize this person [Troh] any further. That wasn't required and [I] just followed the science and picked her up," Jenkins said.

At some point after relocating Troh's quarantined family, Jenkins said adults yelled the word "disgusting" at his 8-year-old daughter.

Troh's family was all released from quarantine, showing no sign of having contracted Ebola, at midnight Oct. 20.

Jenkins also shared the awful moment when they had to tell Troh and her family that Duncan had passed away while they remained quarantined, wondering if they had contracted the disease.

"The youngest was afraid that he would die and so it was very difficult as a father, I had to get on the floor like a catcher because I couldn't touch him," Jenkins said. "He was saying, 'Judge, just tell me if I am going to die. Take me to the hospital if I am.' And I said, 'No, you're going to be OK.' Just trying to get him to look at me and tell him he was going to be OK."

Rawlings said his low moment came four days after nurse Nina Pham had been diagnosed with the disease, when nurse Amber Vinson was also confirmed to have contracted Ebola two days after being cleared to travel on a commercial flight.

"I will say the low moment was getting that call that Amber had come down. I felt I had failed these nurses, but also because of what's next," Rawlings said. "Ya know, it was tough for me, the first one. But Amber was tougher for me. The first one was an odd situation, that 'one off.' Suddenly you've got a trend. You've got two individuals. Who else is going to come forth?"

Rawlings said the need to inform and educate the public about the deadly disease in an expedient manner proved challenging, but was not an area where they could afford to fail.

"Basically I learned two things. One is to be honest with people all the time. That's a little hard to do because we are getting real time information and some of it is wrong. We have to sort it out, we have to edit and we have to provide total transparency. Second, be clear and simple," Rawlings said.

Due to the nature of the virus, Rawlings and Jenkins learned quickly that they didn't have the luxury of time when it came to formulating a strategy or response to the Ebola threat.

"It was a strange moment, a surrealistic moment, to know that there was a lot of cities and states that it could hit. The fact that it, just through randomness, it picked Dallas, it was a bit of a kick in the gut," Rawlings said. "But you really don't have time to sit back and think that way. You have to say, 'OK, what do we have to do?"

See more of the interview with both Rawlings and Jenkins during NBC 5 News at 10 p.m. The entire half-hour interview will be available inside this article following the late news.

I have actually been impressed as hell with the performance of our local politicians in Dallas during this incident. Their one major failure seemed to be having too much trust in Texas Health Presbyterian's ability to handle the situation properly. I should point out that both Rawlings and Jenkins are Democrats, and drat good ones who I hope run for governor once our state's demographic shift makes it feasible.

Who'd have thought it, competent governance in Texas effectively and humanely dealing with a potentially apocalyptic public safety threat! It seems to me that while the failures at the hospital in Dallas have been learned from and applied to procedures worldwide in the aftermath... the successes by government in Dallas have been ignored. The politicians up north and around the world could really take some lessons from Dallas's response.

----------------------------------

If either of them decided to run statewide, it'd be the first Texas candidate I've been excited by since Kinky Friedman - I've heard Bill White is pretty awesome, but I really didn't know much about him in 2010 and just voted for him as an anti-Perry vote.

Jenkins, Rawlings? Davis is dead in the water, let's start talking about 2018 or 2022.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Omi-Polari posted:

Early voting stats!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15mhgxGWMvKgYoEE6_N4H7Evmpvn3RfRtUJudAtruIpk/edit#gid=60604400

Some trends: Turnout up in Tarrant, Bexar (kinda), Nueces, Galveston, Collin, Denton and Hidalgo counties. Tarrant is way up. Turnout down in Harris, Dallas, Travis and El Paso counties. Harris fell off a cliff. But all counties saw a boost on day one.

Tarrant is the state bellweather. What's up with the high turnout? I bet Denton is up because of the fracking ban on the ballot.

This is probably why Tarrant is way up: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/10/29/6241460/fort-worth-is-ground-zero-for.html

But overall, statewide it's down by 6.6 percent so far (today, don't know about all days) with the worst of it in Democratic strongholds. Republicans are going to run away with this.

Wendy Davis is from Fort Worth and more popular here than probably anywhere else in the state.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
Voted the other day but just got around to uploading this pic

First time I've ever seen a spray-painted line marking the 100 ft from the door of the polling place (Bexar County fyi). I was previously registered in Williamson County and only ever saw a few random signs on the road leading to my polling place.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There are 72 candidates for Austin city council because we just moved to single member districts so it's 12 open seats. Signs outside the polling places are out of control. When there are that many signs, I don't even know what the point is.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Omi-Polari posted:

Early voting stats!

I don't get how Travis county is down. There's been a lot of push (both for and against) the rail proposal and we've got this massive city council election happening. Is the voter ID law keeping UT students from voting?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That jimmy flannigan ad is pretty impressive, he was out of breath by the end.

Rye
Jun 20, 2010

by exmarx
I voted by mail about a month ago, and I noticed that a lot of the non-state level races didn't have candidates from the Democratic Party. Why don't they run anyone in the down-ballot races?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Elephant posted:

I voted by mail about a month ago, and I noticed that a lot of the non-state level races didn't have candidates from the Democratic Party. Why don't they run anyone in the down-ballot races?

Because the Texas Democratic Party is incompetent. No one volunteered to be sacrificed so no one ran. Recruiting candidates? What's that? Lets win statewide first then worry about down-ballot races and developing a cadre of future candidates.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Elephant posted:

Because the state-level Democratic party is woefully incompetent and completely imploded in the late 90s.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Actually it would probably be incompetent to run races in zero chance districts and spend limited state Democratic funds on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

e_angst posted:

I don't get how Travis county is down. There's been a lot of push (both for and against) the rail proposal and we've got this massive city council election happening. Is the voter ID law keeping UT students from voting?
Could be. But it also looks like there's more raw votes cast. So turnout not matching population growth? Or increased numbers of voters not keeping up with even greater numbers of new voter registrations?

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 31, 2014