Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Davis' election (or pretty much any major D's) isn't really about winning, its about seeing how effective the Battleground Texas machine is. If the race comes within a few percentage points with high voter turnout from minorities, expect to see tons more money being pumped into Texas in 2016 and a brown stain forming on the seat of every Republican's trousers.

Also, I want Leticia van der Putte to win because the thought of Tyler Seiswerda having to say "van der Putte" every so often for the next four years makes me smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

zoux posted:

Also Wendy put out her first TV ad and well, I dunno guys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV3aMuXsOVQ

Ehhhhhh, I'd need to know more about this case. Otherwise, this veers uncomfortably close to the same "Hilary defended a rapist!" garbage.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Huh, that's weird. Abbott really has nothing to gain from this, I wonder what changed his mind.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Xarthor posted:

The next (final) debate is in Dallas on Sept 30th. It's hosted by KERA so it won't look 1990.

The Lt. Governor Debate (Dan Patrick vs. Leticia Van De Putte) is on the 29th. :getin:

I really want Van De Putte to win only so I can hear Tyler Sieswerda having to say "Van De Putte" every so often.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Lt. Gov's debate is tonight at 7. Watch on KLRU or stream on statesman.com.

Here 's hoping Van De Putte unleashs the Sickest Burn yet again.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Broken link, check below.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 30, 2014

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Apparently the Statesman stream is just re-airing an old primary debate. Actual stream can be found here.

Ahahaha holy poo poo patrick just called Wendy Davis an anarchist.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 30, 2014

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
"The higher your property value, the lower your tax rate will be and sales taxes will be raised! This will definitely help the average middle-class family and is not completely aimed at the wealthy!"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
That's interesting. Seems to indicate that there's a certain degree of panic in the Perry camp.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Is it possible that higher deliberations on the law will stall its re-implementation until after the elections or can Abbott ram it through fast it enough?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Greg Abbott's accident was always going to be a huge crutch for the Republicans that was just going to disable any attempts by Democrats to criticize him.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
"Hey, Austin is the fastest growing city in the country. What should we do about that?"

"CERTAINLY NOT IMPROVE OUR INFRASTRUCTURE!"

*slaps palms against their chest*

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

zoux posted:

Well, Adler crushed Martinez in the run off.

I can't remember who are the crazy candidates for CC, how'd they fare?

Mackenzie Kelly is very proud of her 1300 votes.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

VitalSigns posted:

Another year of our state government wasting time loving around with cities and bitching about Austin and California.

"We're going to show what small government, hands-off conservatives we are by overriding local governments and forcing them to act against the will of their citizens."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I assume this is a stay on the marriage license? Boy, I sure hope this doesn't hit national news and make the TSC look like massive suppurating assholes!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ReidRansom posted:

Can he do that? It was legally issued as far as anyone can tell at the moment.

"I'm a Republican, we're in Texas, gently caress you."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ToastyPotato posted:

Isn't Texas a "Support Are Troops!" type of state?

Support Are Troops does not apply if troops are gay/non-white/non-Christian/Democrat/female/planning a fascist takeover of your state.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Dahn posted:

Camp Swift is just north of Bastrop, it's run by the National Guard. Gona be hard to do anything there without them knowing about it.

You can observe parts of the billeting area from the hwy. I guess someone could park out there with a spotting scope and watch Soldiers going back and forth to the chow hall.

There's a convenience store directly across from the Camp Swift entrance. Probably the best place to camp out and monitor so you don't lose access to your supply line of Cheetos and Mountain Dew.

karlor posted:

I just managed to escape a WalMart (FEMA camp), narrowly avoiding being processed in a Blue Bell (MOBILE MORGUE) refrigeration truck

Gun status: Taken by 0bummer and forcefully gay married

You mean the lysteria outbreak was a conspiracy too? First Obama came for our Blue Bell...

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

My Face When posted:

Just a wonderful reminder that East Texas is poo poo.

Judge sentences East Texas man to get married or face jail time

Can we give East Texas to Louisiana yet

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

smoobles posted:

The Lord dropped a loving tree on Greg Abbott though.

Lord needs to work on his aim.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

zoux posted:

Also if you work downtown take Friday off.

Unfortunately, my job includes a clause where I have to work in the event of a man-made disaster.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I don't think the objection is to ride-sharing as a concept (though the idea of a gig economy becoming widespread is troubling), its that Uber exploits the gently caress out of its drivers.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

enraged_camel posted:

They are directly related actually. Remember that contractors are much more disposable and they don't receive benefits such as healthcare. So what the spread of the "gig economy" does is skew the power dynamic even further towards corporations (which is why Uber is able to exploit its drivers).

computer parts posted:

The issues with ridesharing are why it's attractive (cheap rates).

Yeah, fair enough. I temporarily slipped into a magical world where capitalism was not an inherently exploitative economic model.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

blackguy32 posted:

So b apparently Austin is voting on uber fingerprinting? I guess they are intending on fooling people since it's obvious that uber won't leave Austin even if it does have to fingerprint, especially since Houston already requires it

I don't even live in Austin proper and I'm seeing yard signs and poo poo about this.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Sir Tonk posted:

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/local-govt-politics/banking-on-popularity-uber-and-lyft-hit-a-wall-in-/nrJPc/

Did this get posted already, cause oh man that quote is the most AUSTIN thing I've read.

Death to Californians.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
gently caress it, I'm throwing in fully with the old hippies. Purge all Californians, ban all further development, make ACL one weekend. Make Austin Weird Again.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Please God, let Dan Patrick run for national office. I will never get tired of watching Texas Republicans get clowned on the moment they leave this hugbox of a state.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Reminder that the Voter ID law actually kept Greg Abbott and Wendy Davis from voting in the gubernatorial primary.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The rest of the article could have just been "The rest of the council proceeded to dunk on Zimmerman". Be more efficient with your word count, Statesman.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
don't stop i'm almost there

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Do they put beans in their chili in California? I'll tolerate a great deal for the Yuppies Go Home cause but I'll not tolerate beaned chili.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If Texas goes blue, I will squeal and flail my arms like an 8-year old girl receiving a pony on her birthday.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Big K of Justice posted:

The big exception for that is the ambulance costs, that's usually the big surprise bill for ER visits.

I really enjoy being on scene with a patient who has absolutely nothing wrong with them but a bystander or family member is shouting "YOU SHOULD GO GET CHECKED OUT THE MONEY ISN'T IMPORTANT".

Uhhhhhhh yes, it is because we live in a horrendously broken system.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If there is a heaven and I do go there, I really hope there are bleachers next to the Pearly Gates so we can all watch and cheer as St. Peter backflip-suplexes evangelicals straight to hell.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Anyone going to the Families Belong Together rally in Austin tomorrow? I'm going to be the guy in the undershirt and bad complexion hoping I don't die of heat exhaustion.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1023207746454384642

This guy taught Supreme Court litigation at UT law and used slander and free speech in the same sentence

"Yes this man has pushed a baseless conspiracy theory that my father literally murdered a man, but I am a spineless coward too terrified of my base and losing power to have principles."

-Ted Cruz

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Dameius posted:

These moderaters need to tell Ted to shut the gently caress up when his time runs out.

i see you've never watched a political debate before welcome to the circus

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Cruz stepped into an unforced errors there that's a result of his debate training. Beto says he wants to end the War on Drugs and Cruz said "Yes, yes but he didn't dispute that he wants to start a debate on it!" He's focusing on the letter rather than the spirit.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Jiro posted:

Like talking about Obamacare, why not interject and remind people which party and who was part of the process of gutting the ACA????

Yeah, it's a pretty standard Democratic thing. Sit here and talk vaguely about how good your plans are while the Republican is jabbing a knife into your belly again and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Whew, get the purity knives out folks. We almost forgot to make good the enemy of perfect.