Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

CannonFodder posted:

He already has the Southeast Asia thread, because he thought Houston wasn't hot and humid enough. Love ya ReindeerF!

Anywho, what is the political scene like in some of the less talked about cities, like Amarillo or Lubbock or El Paso? As an outsider who drives through Texas often, my impression of the state is:
Dallas: Rich assholes who water the sidewalks during a drought
Houston: OIL and an enormous Walmart hub sweet Jesus it's humid
Austin: Weird™ and an elevated freeway over a regular freeway where I don't feel safe on any part of it
San Antonio: Castros and Tim Duncan
Midland: OIL and smells like rotten eggs
Tyler: best truck stop BBQ with a selection of awesome jerky

There's just a tremendous amount of fuckall once you leave the big cities, and I wonder how that all works out politically.

I haven't been to every major city in Texas, but my impressions are:

Dallas/Fort Worth - Endless suburban sprawl and highway construction. Dallas proper is pretty blue but it's completely drowned out by conservative suburbs.
Houston - Oil, chemicals, NASA, various financial industrial industries, and more sprawl. Outer counties are solidly red, but Harris County is split down the middle (Obama beat Romney here by less than 100 votes!).
Austin - State capital, has the University of Texas and a lot of tech jobs. Austin has the reputation of being this weird hippie town, but living here I'd say it's more of a trendy tech city nowadays, the kind you would see in California. The Dem stronghold of Texas.
San Antonio - Probably the coolest city in Texas, has the Alamo, Riverwalk, and a lot of cool Spanish stuff as well as a bunch of military bases. Pretty solidly Democratic, with a large Latino population
Brownsville/Rio Grande Valley - A bunch of cities at the south end of the state that run mostly on agriculture and business with Mexico. Extremely Hispanic and Democratic, although some Dems down here are a bit more socially conservative than elsewhere. The borderlands are pretty much the only rural region of the state that the Dems have a stronghold in.
Amarillo - Biggest city in the Panhandle, big railway/cattle hub and not much else. Like the rest of the Panhandle, heavily Republican.
Lubbock - Home to Texas Tech and one of the biggest cities in West Texas. Heavily Republican.
Odessa/Midland/Abilene - Never been, but I'd assume they're pretty similar to Lubbock.
Corpus Christi - On the gulf coast, has a really big port and a lot of military installations. Also votes Republican.
Beaumont/Port Arthur - Big petrochemical industry. At the very least, Jefferson County votes Democratic.
El Paso - All the way at the rear end end of the desert, near New Mexico and Juarez. Home to Fort Bliss and a big Hispanic population. Like most border towns in the state, heavily Democratic.
Tyler/East Texas - East Texas is pretty much just West Louisiana, and more culturally "southern" than the rest of the state. Pretty solidly Republican.

The general rule of thumb is that everything outside the Rio Grande Valley, Austin, and a bunch of urban centers is Republican. Note that while this include a tremendous amount of fuckall outside the cities, this also includes the sprawling suburbs around the cities too, which is where the Republicans get a lot of their support from.

This is pretty much the extent of my knowledge regarding regional politics here, but if anyone has a more detailed guide they'd like to post, go ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Zwabu posted:

What percentage of Hispanic Texans are registered to vote, and vote? And how does this break down between the different cities and regions? Anyone know?

A big problem is that most registered Hispanics in Texans don't actually vote. I don't know what percent is actually registered, but only 39% of eligible Hispanics in Texas actually voted in 2012.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Badger of Basra posted:

Happy Juneteenth, y'all! I would say expect some racist things from the various GOP lights in our great state, but most people probably don't even know today is special. :smith:

Not true. The Dallas County Commisioners Court gave us a Juneteenth miracle!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Voted No earlier today. Never been prouder to have taken part of the democratic process :patriot:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
this is old news, but

computer parts posted:

In Conroe news,

WHAT THE gently caress MY PARENTS LIVE NEAR THIS NEIGHBORHOOD. HOW HAS SOMEONE BEEN KEEPING A SECRET PET TIGER THERE FOR THIS LONG :stonk:

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 8, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

The man and woman have blank spots where their genitals should be, indicating that physical appearance does not determine a person's gender. A Good Graphic.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Torchy's does some decent breakfast burritos, but they're probably not even the best Mexican restaurant on the block. Felt so weird driving past that place and seeing a line of people wrapping around the building when there's a million great Mexican places nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Texit isn't actually a thing that has real support, that stuff is mostly being brought up by panicking Brits who desperately need someone to feel superior to in their time of need