Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

(popcorn not included)

quote:

Amazon Fire TV is a digital media player and game microconsole developed by Amazon.com. It is designed to stream audio and video content to high definition televisions. The system also allows users to play a range of video games. Fire TV runs on Fire OS 3.0 (Mojito), which is based on Android and is compatible with Android 4.4.2 KitKat, with regard to apps and development. The system runs on a quad-core Qualcomm Krait 1.7GHz processor, with an Adreno 320 GPU, 2GB of RAM and 8GB of internal storage. The Fire TV offers HDMI and optical audio outputs with support for Dolby Digital Plus and 5.1 surround sound, with 1080p playback.

Now in stick form!

(popcorn still not included)

quote:

NOTICE: You can sideload apps, including XBMC, onto the Fire TV Stick.

Amazon Fire TV Stick is a newly released low cost Android-based (Fire OS) set-top box in a HDMI-stick format.

Amazon Fire TV Stick contains a less powerful ARM processor and half the onboard RAM but technically provides all the same features as its big brother, Amazon Fire TV. Other things (that are known to be) missing are Kindle Freetime, support for certain games, Ethernet port, free USB port, voice remote.

Let's get to the good stuff first. At the end, I'll highlight some good apps you may have missed, apps coming soon and apps that are missing.

Sideloading

The thing that really sets the Fire TV apart from every other streaming box is the ability to sideload normal Android apps.

It's as simple as going Settings -> System -> Developer Options -> enable ADB Debugging, connecting ADB (tutorial) and installing the apk (tutorial)

That sounds difficult!

There's a GUI called Amazon FireTV Utility App v0.30 that simplifies that process. Enter your IP address into the program after enabling ADB Debugging on your box and that's it. Now you can easily install APKs or push files to your box. Be careful with the more advanced features if you don't know what you're doing.

What type of apps can I install?

Just about any browser including Firefox with Flash, emulators up to the Dreamcast, HBO GO, Dropbox, DISH Anywhere, Spotify, PlayOn, XFINITY TV Go and many more. Most of these require a mouse to navigate.

USB

There's native support for all sorts of USB things. Keyboard/Mouse (I can confirm the Logitech Unifying Receiver), Xbox 360 controllers (wired or with the dongle), IR receivers like FLIRC, USB hubs.

XBMC Gotham doesn't require a mouse and works perfectly with the included remote.

This wiki page has everything you need to know about XBMC on Fire TV including installation, updating, getting it to appear on your home screen, updating the splash image and remapping the remote controls.

Only thing it can't play is things encoded with VC-1. Beyond that, it's just like the normal XBMC you know and love including the ability to install any add-on you want. Check out the XBMC thread here for more information.

Access XBMC from the main menu

There's two ways.

You can use Llama to hijack a different app.

quote:

- Install / side-load Llama.
- Install “Classic TV” app from Amazon app store.
- Launch Llama (From FireTV - Settings > Applications > Llama > Launch Application).
- Go to EVENTS on top menu and click '+' to add a NEW EVENT.
- In your NEW EVENT select ADD CONDITION then, from the Menu select 'Active Application' and select 'Choose App’. Scroll through the list of apps until you find “Classic TV” and select this app. Doing this should return you to the Events Menu.
- Next, select ADD ACTION and select 'Run Application' from the Menu list. From here, select whatever the name of your XBMC build is. That should create your event. At this point you can also name your event to distinguish it from others.
(Optional) - Select ADD ACTION and select 'Kill Application' from the Menu list. From here, select "Classic TV". This will close Classic TV after you open XBMC.

Or you can install an alternate launcher like FiredTVLauncher

Adding android apps to XBMC's main page

It's possible to jump directly into apps from the main page in XBMC.

1. Download a skin like Amber
2. Add-ons -> Programs -> Android Apps -> Lines button the app you want -> Add to favorites
3. Settings -> Home Menu -> Select an empty slot -> Select the app -> Name it

And that's it. Now you can access Netflix or Hulu or any other app you have installed directly from XBMC's page. And pressing the back button at the main screen of that app takes you back to XBMC.

Note: this doesn't work for any of the default Amazon apps like Amazon Video or Amazon Music. You'll still have to go to the main menu to access those things.

What about root?

It's not really worth the cat and mouse game with Amazon to keep root. Amazon's issuing firmware updates that break root and you can potentially run into app issues where the app requires the newest firmware update to run properly. If you want to learn more about root, I'd suggest xda-developers. http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/general

Latest firmware

The latest firmware is 51.1.4.1_user_514013920. It adds

- Prime Music support
- Autoplay for Amazon videos (so now it will automatically play the next episode if you're watching a TV series you own or have on Prime)
- A dedicated sleep button in the settings

Apps

Beyond your standard apps (Netflix/Hulu Plus/PBS/YouTube/Crackle/ESPN/etc), here's some standouts you may have missed.

- TuneIn Radio. The best online radio service. Access local radio channels or online only ones like SomaFM.
- CBS News. Has a free HD 24/7 live stream of CBSN and a VOD section.
- Sky News. Has a free HD 24/7 live stream of Sky News and a VOD section.
- Red Bull TV. Has a bunch of free original programming including live sports and concert events.
- Pluto.TV is basically a curated YouTube/Vimeo program. Includes 100+ channels and a cable guide like system to navigate them.
- Smithsonian Channel. Has a number of full episodes plus a handful of clips.

Apps coming soon

HBO Go is suppose to launch before the end of the year but I wouldn't be surprised if that was delayed until Q1 2015. HBO Go is now available. http://www.amazon.com/HBO-GO/dp/B0089BPEZS

Apps missing

The biggest one has to be Vudu. And there's a possibility that we'll never get it considering that WalMart is about to launch their own stick. You can use an app like Flixster to access your Ultraviolet movies but that only supports SD streaming.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I just bought my dad one of these for Father's Day and I was super excited to bring him up to speed on the future of home entertainment but unfortunately I think he is too engrained in the Cable TV model. I'm kind of jealous now thinking that I should have just kept the drat thing for myself and I would have put a ton more use into it but hopefully he warms up to it.

I demoed a unit at Best Buy before picking one up and even when I was setting it up for my dad the Voice Search feature is spot on every single time. The interface is blazing fast. I use my roommate's Apple TV at my apartment and it's such a cumbersome piece of poo poo with an awful interface. The only benefit is that I have a MacBook and iPhone that I stream to the Apple TV so it works out.

Anyway, this Amazon Fire TV thing is pretty drat nifty.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Sideloading apps is really intriguing but god drat you just can't beat the ease (and wife-compatibility) of Chromecast. I'm really glad the thing exists but going back to browsing on my TV with some goofy little remote just isn't going to happen.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
That spring update is going to slowly roll out starting next week.

quote:

The initial launch — coming within a week — is being described as a "narrow" release to a limited subset of subscribers, with wider availability in the coming weeks.

http://www.theverge.com/hd-home/2014/6/19/5818982/amazon-launches-freetime-for-kids-on-fire-tv

But it looks like Prime Music and the Games & Fire TV app isn't going to make this update.

quote:

New Features
Prime browse: Browse several categories of Prime content, including, but not limited to: Top Prime TV, Top Prime Movies, Prime TV for Kids, Prime Movies for Kids, Prime TV by Genre, Prime Movies by Genre
Amazon FreeTime: Create custom profiles for up to four kids, choosing the movies, TV shows, apps, and games they can access. Easily set up daily screen limits and restrict certain types of content.
Amazon Music: Listen to music from your Amazon Music Library. See lyrics that display line by line while you listen to many of your favorite songs (Prime Music coming later this year).

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 19, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The update started to roll out yesterday.

Looks like it didn't patch out the current root.

A Prime Video tab has been added above movies. Sections include

recently added prime tv
recently added prime movies
recommended prime tv
recommended prime movies
hbo on prime instant video
prime member exclusives
top tv on prime
top movies on prime
kids tv on prime
prime tv genres
prime movie genres

Freetime tab underneath video library. You have the ability to hide it if you're not interested.

Music tab has been added above photos. Gives you access to everything in your Cloud Player. Full voice support. Doesn't include Prime Music content. Every section has a shuffle all songs feature.

Settings. Display And Sounds has been moved to it's own section.
Parental Controls has a 'create a freetime profile' thing added.
Amazon Appstore settings has been added under Applications. You can turn on or off Automatic Updates and In-App Purchases
Quiet time finally has an explanation 'Turn on to hide all application notifications'

Only issue I've been having is with PleXBMC. Before the update, it was buttery smooth and now it plays for about two minutes before the video starts to chug and desync from the audio. Anybody else having this issue or is it just me? Everything else in XBMC stil works fine beyond that.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Call Me Charlie posted:

Only issue I've been having is with PleXBMC. Before the update, it was buttery smooth and now it plays for about two minutes before the video starts to chug and desync from the audio. Anybody else having this issue or is it just me? Everything else in XBMC stil works fine beyond that.

Oddly enough I've been getting the same issue but did NOT update my fireTV. I'm not sure what's up either. I'm considering just grabbing plex again for $5 even though I already own it on the play store and using it instead.

e: After trying something else may just be specific videos (that still work fine on other devices). I've noticed that a lot of things are being reported as SD for some reason when they are HD and at least one of those isn't changing the symbol when you play it. That one keeps stuttering after 2ish minutes.

e 2: Huh, doesn't work connected by external media either. Maybe something broke with this file for me and this is a completely different problem. Video still works fine on my pc, plex to my phone, and plex to my chromecast though. Must be a specific issue with either the video and xbmc on the firetv or the video and the firetv in general.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 26, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

havenwaters posted:

Oddly enough I've been getting the same issue but did NOT update my fireTV. I'm not sure what's up either. I'm considering just grabbing plex again for $5 even though I already own it on the play store and using it instead.

e: After trying something else may just be specific videos (that still work fine on other devices). I've noticed that a lot of things are being reported as SD for some reason when they are HD and at least one of those isn't changing the symbol when you play it. That one keeps stuttering after 2ish minutes.

e 2: Huh, doesn't work connected by external media either. Maybe something broke with this file for me and this is a completely different problem. Video still works fine on my pc, plex to my phone, and plex to my chromecast though. Must be a specific issue with either the video and xbmc on the firetv or the video and the firetv in general.

The weird thing is that my newest Fire TV, which also got the upgrade, can play all the files with no issue while my old Fire TV can barely get out of the gate. Almost makes me think it's a storage issue since my old one only has about 1.78 GB free while my new one has like 5.3 GB free. Not exactly sure why they would be the case. Maybe XBMC is emulating more storage than is available and it's causing PleXBMC to spaz out?

How much free space do you have?

I'll keep messing around with it to see if I can figure out what happened.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Could be a storage thing. I remember getting a "warning, cache full" message the first time I played the problem video. Other new videos I played afterwards still worked fine. Problem video not so much. Of course it could be something dumb like a corrupted header. I need to try the video out on the 4 year old set top box/ps3 to see if it works.

You could try out PleXMBC 3.4.6b3. Biggest issue I've heard with that beta on the FireTV is that Now Playing doesn't work with remote Plex Media Servers. Local ones are fine. I think there's a newer PleXMBC Helper that works with the Fire TV as well (haven't tested it yet).

https://github.com/hippojay/plugin.video.plexbmc/releases
https://github.com/hippojay/script.plexbmc.helper/releases

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I had one for a week or two in May and ended up returning it because it wasn't worth $99 over the Roku that I already have. I didn't like how the UI buried the free Prime movies in the middle of a million not-free movies, and the Plex app was glitchy as hell.

Maybe I will try a 2nd-gen one someday.

Any chance that using something like XBMC will eventually be possible without having to jump through a bunch of hoops? I'm too old for installing command-line dev tools to make my movies play right.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

withak posted:

I had one for a week or two in May and ended up returning it because it wasn't worth $99 over the Roku that I already have. I didn't like how the UI buried the free Prime movies in the middle of a million not-free movies, and the Plex app was glitchy as hell.

Maybe I will try a 2nd-gen one someday.

Any chance that using something like XBMC will eventually be possible without having to jump through a bunch of hoops? I'm too old for installing command-line dev tools to make my movies play right.

Jumping through hoops and command-line dev tools is kinda XBMC & Android in a nutshell though.

The Prime stuff should be fixed in the update that's rolling out now.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

withak posted:

They already pushed that update I told you about which added a Prime Video tab.

withak posted:

Any chance that using something like XBMC will be possible without having to jump through a bunch of hoops? I'm too old for installing command-line dev tools to make my movies play right.

I haven't tried it but some guy at XDA hacked together a GUI for it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2736774

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Maneki Neko posted:

Jumping through hoops and command-line dev tools is kinda XBMC & Android in a nutshell though.

Yeah I find these days that if the instructions are more involved than "Plug it in, turn it on, enter the required info" then I'm not interested.

I was going to wait the 30 days to see if the promised prime-only update ("this spring") came out before returning, but then Plex turned out to be all glitchy and I was like "gently caress it, I'll try the next-gen one later". I did like the UI a lot better than Roku though.

withak fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 27, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie posted:

I haven't tried it but some guy at XDA hacked together a GUI for it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2736774

Since I was looking to do a factory refresh anyways, I decided to give this a test run.

Besides looking like it time warped out of 1999, it seems simple enough.

I turned on ADB debugging on my Fire TV, entered the Fire TV IP into the program and selected the XBMC apk (Gotham arm) I downloaded. The script opens up command prompt, does all the poo poo you'd normally have to do by hand and pushes it to the Fire TV. Simple enough. It may look like it's frozen but it's a 60 MB file so give it a minute or two.

When you see this

It's installed.

I don't really care about the splash screen but I figured I tried it. Saved over the included one with http://i59.tinypic.com/2mi409g.png - Installed with no problem. Honestly, XBMC loads so quickly that you'll barely see it.

Clicked Install Llama - it worked

Didn't know what Llama XBMC config was so I ignored it and used the method on XBMC wiki to redirect Classic TV into launching XBMC.

quote:

Install / side-load Llama.
Install “Classic TV” app from Amazon app store.
Launch Llama (From FireTV - Settings > Applications > Llama > Launch Application).
Go to EVENTS on top menu and click '+' to add a NEW EVENT.
In your NEW EVENT select ADD CONDITION then, from the Menu select 'Active Application' and select 'Choose App’. Scroll through the list of apps until you find “Classic TV” and select this app. Doing this should return you to the Events Menu.
Next, select ADD ACTION and select 'Run Application' from the Menu list. From here, select whatever the name of your XBMC build is. That should create your event. At this point you can also name your event to distinguish it from others.

And that worked. Now every time I click Classic TV, it fires XBMC. No having to dig around in the settings for it.

I didn't try 'switch Classic TV icon with XBMC icon' since it requires root but here's what it looks like installed.

- edit I decided to root and it walked me through setting it up. And I replaced the icon. No issues.

The whole process seemed brain dead simple. I guess if you're scared of going into the command prompt yourself, this will work for you. And it can sideload any apk, not just XBMC.

If you need to push a XBMC repository like PleXBMC, you can use one of the command prompts the program opens. Just type

adb push <local pc path to file> <destination path on fire tv>

so example

adb push C:\Android\FireTV\repositories_installer.zip /sdcard/Download

then it's the standard add-ons -> install from zip file -> root filesystem -> sdcard -> downloads to install your zip

havenwaters posted:

Could be a storage thing. I remember getting a "warning, cache full" message the first time I played the problem video. Other new videos I played afterwards still worked fine. Problem video not so much. Of course it could be something dumb like a corrupted header. I need to try the video out on the 4 year old set top box/ps3 to see if it works.

Cache full is normal if you're trying to play a big file. It shouldn't effect playback.

I did a factory reset and it fixed my issue. Not sure what the issue was. Without caching my Plex data, which is about a GB, I have 4.36 GB available after reinstalling all my crap. Hopefully after I cache everything, it won't start acting up again. We'll see.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 28, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
FireTV with XBMC is absolutely amazing, everyone poo-pooing or thinking its too difficult, you are absolutely missing out.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I've never used xbmc, only Plex. Since I'm guessing fire TV has no where near enough internal memory to hold a lot of media, are you able to just point to a NAS or computer for media? Or can you attach an external hard drive to it with an OTG cable? Or?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

IuniusBrutus posted:

I've never used xbmc, only Plex. Since I'm guessing fire TV has no where near enough internal memory to hold a lot of media, are you able to just point to a NAS or computer for media? Or can you attach an external hard drive to it with an OTG cable? Or?

You can setup SMB/NAS shares/other stuff. If you root your Fire TV you can also plug an usb hdd into the slot and use that. You also can use the PleXMBC add-on and launch it from within XBMC to see your plex server's stuff (sorted by folders mainly)

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Exactly what he said.

I really don't get why people love all these solutions that require an intermediary server/device (Plex, Chromecast, ect). XBMC is all that put direct. If you have a NAS, great, but if not, just slap an external HDD on there after rooting (rooting it super easy, don't be intimated by it)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gozinbulx posted:

I really don't get why people love all these solutions that require an intermediary server/device (Plex, Chromecast, ect). XBMC is all that put direct. If you have a NAS, great, but if not, just slap an external HDD on there after rooting (rooting it super easy, don't be intimated by it)

I have around 3000 movies in my collection and I already cleaned up all the art/metadata in Plex. I really don't want to start over with XBMC. Plus it's nice to have all that stuff in central location instead of it being by device.

PleXBMC has all the same navigation stuff (newly added/newly released/on deck/etc) that Plex has.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Fair point about now wanting to do it again (although I suspect that Plex named them in such a way that it would be almost seamless for XBMC to scrape it all up correctly...)

The centralization part though is achieved the same way with a NAS but whatever. I mean more for the casual cord cutter I guess, I think they are bad suggestions.

I have a 1,000+ movies too but I did it in XBMC.

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

I think this is the device I've been looking for to replace my WD Live box with WDLX-TV so I'm going to pick one up later today. Ideally I would like it to boot directly to XBMC but have a link to Netflix and Amazon Prime video in the menu. Is that something that is possible at this time?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Elston Gunn posted:

I think this is the device I've been looking for to replace my WD Live box with WDLX-TV so I'm going to pick one up later today. Ideally I would like it to boot directly to XBMC but have a link to Netflix and Amazon Prime video in the menu. Is that something that is possible at this time?

Yes sir. Use Llama or Tasker to have it launch straight into XBMC (or now with root, someones actually made an Xposed module to replace your launcher, but thats a bit hardcore) upon launch, then use XBMCs built in "Android app launcher" feature to make to 2 shortcuts to "com.amazon.avod" and the other one and you should be set.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm going to be buying a "dumb" TV here in a few weeks for my computer room. I can't wait to get this becuase I've gotten spoiled with my primary smart TV.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I have two firetvs, both running xbmc, and they are awesome. I sold my atv2 after getting my first one, because it was that good (and selling one atv2 paid for both firetvs)

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

So far I'm really liking this box. Running XBMC on it is a much better experience than the clunky file browser on the WD Live player. I had to restart it twice last night because it seemed to lose it's internet connection and then the Netflix app was crashing whenever I tried to play a video.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got the firetv last weekend and it's been pretty good.

Pros:
-w/ XBMC there is tons of free content, live sports, some tv channels, etc
-the device is pretty quick, useful because it crashes often

Cons:
- XBMC crashes fairly often (every 5 channels or so)
- Netflix crashes after XBMC has been running, must force stop XBMC
- 4/5 of the most popular streaming channels on XBMC do not work at all on amazon fire

It took a few hours to get setup and get the channels I need, but now it's running pretty well and I'll almost certainly be keeping it.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

I'm finding Plex to be a bit cranky with XBMC. Seems like I often have delayed audio on most files I stream from my computer, things that otherwise are perfect through other means like chromecast.

Also, any great repositories for someone who has been away from XBMC for a few years? Also trying to find some skins that will be compatible with the fire version of XBMC.

Being able to stream the bbc is worth the price of admission alone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Anyone have a Harmony remote with the Hub base station, and can comment on how this actually works in practice? I am on the fence on buying a Fire TV and honestly I love the Harmony so much that if I have to have a second remote just for the Fire it'd be a dealbreaker.

http://support.myharmony.com/en/article.htm?faqid=s-m-4058

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Is there a known issue w/ running XMBC breaking the built-in video player? If I try to play a Prime movie after using XBMC, every one fails with a generic error. If I force close XBMC, it starts working again.

Still love it, though. No regrets at all.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

clockworx posted:

Is there a known issue w/ running XMBC breaking the built-in video player? If I try to play a Prime movie after using XBMC, every one fails with a generic error. If I force close XBMC, it starts working again.

Still love it, though. No regrets at all.

I'm not a 100% sure why that happens but if you stop the video (not just pause it) and use the exit button on XBMC, you shouldn't run into that issue. I've run into the same thing if I accidentally pause a video and hit the home button to get back to the main menu.

bagina posted:

Also, any great repositories for someone who has been away from XBMC for a few years?

I don't think I can explain why but sportdevil, mashup, and xbmcplus are a good start.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 4, 2014

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Gonna repost this question here: I got a fireTV and put XBMC on it and did the llama stuff and its awesome, but whats the best way to get my stuff streaming from my PC to the XBMC? I can use PS3 Media Server, but is there a superior option out there? I have a windows 7 PC.

Edit: I am following this guide to setup regular ole windows 7 file sharing using the windows smb option in adding a file source in XBMC : http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=SMB/Windows

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 4, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jerkface posted:

Gonna repost this question here: I got a fireTV and put XBMC on it and did the llama stuff and its awesome, but whats the best way to get my stuff streaming from my PC to the XBMC? I can use PS3 Media Server, but is there a superior option out there? I have a windows 7 PC.

You can use plex if you want a central hub for your media. Otherwise, it should be possible to stream stuff direct from your PC to your Fire TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBGKcLu7aGk

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

bagina posted:

I'm finding Plex to be a bit cranky with XBMC. Seems like I often have delayed audio on most files I stream from my computer, things that otherwise are perfect through other means like chromecast.

Also, any great repositories for someone who has been away from XBMC for a few years? Also trying to find some skins that will be compatible with the fire version of XBMC.

Being able to stream the bbc is worth the price of admission alone.

I'm using the ace skin on my firetv and I like it a lot, customisable enough but not thousands of options. How are you managing to steam bbc? I can't find a version of iplayer or 4od that will work with a remote even though I'm in the UK. It's pretty much the only thing stopping if from being totally perfect for me.

E: Never mind, I've got iplayer working now I'm not trying to use the android apk to do it. Sadly it seems 4oD is doomed as they've encrypted their streams now so you can't use the xbmc addon and the apk doesn't seem to want to play nicely on the firetv at the moment.

DJ Burette fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 4, 2014

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm not a 100% sure why that happens but if you stop the video (not just pause it) and use the exit button on XBMC, you shouldn't run into that issue. I've run into the same thing if I accidentally pause a video and hit the home button to get back to the main menu.

I don't think I can explain why but sportdevil, mashup, and xbmcplus are a good start.

This is correct. The default keymap that XBMC uses with the FireTV doesn't actually fully "stop" the video and unload the player (I am oversimplifying).

I use the alternative keymap from the wiki (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Alternative_keymaps_for_Fire_TV_remote) - number 3. With that one, pressing "back" on the remote actually issues a stop to XBMC and you shouldn't have any problems.

Though I haven't checked in a couple weeks - maybe something changed with a recent build or AFTV firmware update. Try it.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
Is the gradual rollout of 51.1.1 still going on? This seems extremely slow and there's very little info available online. Are there still folks other than me who don't have the update available?

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

Are there any torrent clients that can be either side loaded on the Fire TV or installed in XBMC?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Elston Gunn posted:

Are there any torrent clients that can be either side loaded on the Fire TV or installed in XBMC?

Presumably anyone what works on any other Android device.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Gozinbulx posted:

Presumably anyone what works on any other Android device.

From that thread on XDA that lists all the apps you can sideload Vuze works but causes system lag when in use and uTorrent also works but you need to use orientation manager to force the app to load in landscape mode.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

havenwaters posted:

From that thread on XDA that lists all the apps you can sideload Vuze works but causes system lag when in use and uTorrent also works but you need to use orientation manager to force the app to load in landscape mode.

For the record, I really don't think a fire TV is the ideal platform for usenet or torrents.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

For the record, I really don't think a fire TV is the ideal platform for usenet or torrents.

I don't think much of anything running Android (not due to running Android, just the types of devices Android typically runs on) is ideal for usenet or torrents, but there's people that torrent things on their phone, so what do I know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Any link with "torrent" in the name does not work on my firetv. It does stream flash pretty darn well though.

• Locked thread