Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

Fire back down to $84 on amazon or $74 from staples using coupon code 86128

Not That Into You fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
CWM recovery is now available for the Fire TV. With that installed you can upgrade to the latest pre-rooted stock image and keep root. Here's a handy guide.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Got my FireTV today (launch day in Germany, yay!) and immediately started sideloading some apps (Watchever and Netflix, the former being a german VOD service).

The transfer went smoothly, but when I launch either app, it is zoomed in and cropped on my HD TV.
It also appears that the menu navigation within those apps is not working properly with the FireTV remote (couldn't tell for sure, since the output is zoomed and cropped.

Is there an easy fix or are the apks just not working correctly on the FireTV?
I downloaded the latest versions from Google Play via Raccoon (and a throwaway account).

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

mcbexx posted:

Got my FireTV today (launch day in Germany, yay!) and immediately started sideloading some apps (Watchever and Netflix, the former being a german VOD service).

The transfer went smoothly, but when I launch either app, it is zoomed in and cropped on my HD TV.
It also appears that the menu navigation within those apps is not working properly with the FireTV remote (couldn't tell for sure, since the output is zoomed and cropped.

Is there an easy fix or are the apks just not working correctly on the FireTV?
I downloaded the latest versions from Google Play via Raccoon (and a throwaway account).

You can adjust the overscan in the settings of the Fire TV.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
That version of Netflix appears to be the stock Android app which is designed for touch screen devices and doesn't work with the remote. You're either going to have to use a mouse with it or find and use the Netflix app that comes stock on US Fire TVs.

Linco
Apr 1, 2004
I just installed XBMC today, and have been using 1Channel. It is pretty great, but everything seems to be in SD. Is there anything else out there that has better quality stuff?

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Linco posted:

I just installed XBMC today, and have been using 1Channel. It is pretty great, but everything seems to be in SD. Is there anything else out there that has better quality stuff?

Genesis is amazing and has lots of stuff in HD.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Jadius posted:

Genesis is amazing and has lots of stuff in HD.

This. Genesis is all you need.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Call Me Charlie posted:

You can adjust the overscan in the settings of the Fire TV.

I've also found that how apps deal with the overscan correction on the firetv varies wildly. It ended up being easier to just leave it at the default and deal with it vs dealing with the random behavior on an app by app basis (some apps would end up with black border, some would end up cut off, some would be a-ok). :(

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Does the FireTV doe 24fps for movies or support Hi10P for self encoded stuff if I play via plex or something like that? My WDTV bit the dust and I am looking for a replacement.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

KKKLIP ART posted:

Does the FireTV doe 24fps for movies or support Hi10P for self encoded stuff if I play via plex or something like that? My WDTV bit the dust and I am looking for a replacement.

I find Plex re-encoding (or transcoding, whatever) most of the stuff I converted myself. I'm too paranoid to download off of torrent sites so I rip my own DVDs and I did them in XViD which isn't really the standard. Plex plays them fine (even some where I ripped a Blu-ray that was 24fps) but the machine I am using as a server is low-powered so there's tons of buffering, unfortunately.

I just noticed last night the FireTV is asking to update. Has anyone here done it? Is it a bad idea since I am rooted? Will I lose root and be unable to get it back? I would install CWM like the guide sedative was nice enough to post suggested, but I am pretty sure that means I am unlocking the bootloader which totally voids the warranty, right?

The guide also says that we should be blocking updates by "disabling dcp". What is that?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I find Plex re-encoding (or transcoding, whatever) most of the stuff I converted myself. I'm too paranoid to download off of torrent sites so I rip my own DVDs and I did them in XViD which isn't really the standard. Plex plays them fine (even some where I ripped a Blu-ray that was 24fps) but the machine I am using as a server is low-powered so there's tons of buffering, unfortunately.

I just noticed last night the FireTV is asking to update. Has anyone here done it? Is it a bad idea since I am rooted? Will I lose root and be unable to get it back? I would install CWM like the guide sedative was nice enough to post suggested, but I am pretty sure that means I am unlocking the bootloader which totally voids the warranty, right?

The guide also says that we should be blocking updates by "disabling dcp". What is that?

Update will break root and you will not be able to re root it.

I believe blocking updates is a simple matter of a few ADB commands.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Amazon has a good enough return policy and I don't mind using plex to transcode if it won't play something via its native format. Is there a worthwhile reason to maybe put XBMC on it? What if I want full netflix / prime video access too? Can the Fire's version of XBMC do that?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

KKKLIP ART posted:

Amazon has a good enough return policy and I don't mind using plex to transcode if it won't play something via its native format. Is there a worthwhile reason to maybe put XBMC on it? What if I want full netflix / prime video access too? Can the Fire's version of XBMC do that?

XBMC can direct play a lot of files that the official Plex app can't. You can also use a skin like Amber to link android apps like Netflix/Hulu Plus/etc to the main screen. You click it, it opens the app and when you back out of it, it returns you to XBMC.

There's no way to access Amazon Video/Music that way but it's easy enough to jump in and out of XBMC.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Does the Amazon Fire have any sort of "casting" capabilities (think AirPlay and Chromecast) for non-Kindle devices? Even audio would be good.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 6, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Does the Amazon Fire have any sort of "casting" capabilities (think AirPlay and Chromecast) for non-Kindle devices? Even audio would be good.

Not officially but you could try AllCast.

http://www.amazon.com/ClockworkMod-AllCast-for-Fire-TV/dp/B00JHMPP9S

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Disabling dcp is this http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-block-ota-update-for-amazon-fire-tv-and-keep-root-access/

From what I've read, your Fire TV is still going to tell you there's an update even if you block them now. Once it knows there's an update it'll keep reminding you until you install it. I assume installing CWM and the latest pre-rooted version will take care of it. If you install the update from Amazon you're going to lose root like Gozinbulx said.

The bootloader is still locked after you install CWM, but I can't say what that means for your warranty.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Gozinbulx posted:

Update will break root and you will not be able to re root it.

I believe blocking updates is a simple matter of a few ADB commands.

Thanks! I will not update. It was really annoying; was watching Hulu and the "Update Available" pop-up comes up pausing the show and pretty much exiting us out of Hulu entirely.

sedative posted:

Disabling dcp is this http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-block-ota-update-for-amazon-fire-tv-and-keep-root-access/

From what I've read, your Fire TV is still going to tell you there's an update even if you block them now. Once it knows there's an update it'll keep reminding you until you install it. I assume installing CWM and the latest pre-rooted version will take care of it. If you install the update from Amazon you're going to lose root like Gozinbulx said.

The bootloader is still locked after you install CWM, but I can't say what that means for your warranty.

Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This is pretty interesting.

Fire TV Stick, normally $40, marked down to $19 for Prime members the next two days.

lilputing posted:

The Fire TV Stick features 1GB of RAM and 8GB of storage, dual-band 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi support, Bluetooth 3.0, and a Broadcom Capri 28155 dual-core ARM COrtex-A9 processor.

The device comes with a free Fire TV remote that you can use to navigate apps, and you can also use a Fire TV Remote App on a phone or tablet running Android or Amazon Fire OS.

Like the more expensive Fire TV, the new Fire TV stick supports voice search… but the remote control that comes with the stick doesn’t have a mic. You’ll need to either opt for a $30 Fire TV Voice Remote or use the mobile app if you want to use voice search.

Amazon says the Fire TV Stick also supports over 200 games, and you can pair an Amazon Fire TV Game Controller or another third-party Bluetooth game controller with the stick.

Like Roku and Chromecast devices, you can also use the Fire TV Stick to mirror your phone or tablet display on the big screen.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KDKUD7LRUOMNNND

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 27, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Still haven't read anywhere any definitive confirmation that this is an actual standalone device or if its like a chromecast, which requires a second device to actually do the streaming.

If it's not like the chromecast (which I think its nearly useless), then they really should not be marketing it as such. If it's a standalone stick, its a pretty awesome price point (though a dual core stick in TYOL 2014 is shameless even by no-name chinese android stick standards).

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gozinbulx posted:

Still haven't read anywhere any definitive confirmation that this is an actual standalone device or if its like a chromecast, which requires a second device to actually do the streaming.

If it's not like the chromecast (which I think its nearly useless), then they really should not be marketing it as such. If it's a standalone stick, its a pretty awesome price point (though a dual core stick in TYOL 2014 is shameless even by no-name chinese android stick standards).

With the pictures on Amazon showing the same interface as the Fire TV, I'm guessing standalone device with casting capabilities.

What I'm really curious about is if you could sideload XBMC on it. Getting a cheap XBMC box with all the big android apps for $39 would be pretty wild.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Although if this is a standalone device, what would be the benefit of buying a Fire TV? In essence they accomplish the same task at a much lower pricepoint. I've been contemplating a Fire TV for the past couple of weeks, mainly for XBMC, but this has me intrigued.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Call Me Charlie posted:

This is pretty interesting.

Fire TV Stick, normally $40, marked down to $19 for Prime members the next two days.

It's not showing as $19 for me.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Super Dude posted:

It's not showing as $19 for me.

Make sure you're logged into your Prime account.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Falco posted:

Make sure you're logged into your Prime account.

I only have one account, which I am currently logged into. Do I have to go all the way through checkout?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Super Dude posted:

I only have one account, which I am currently logged into. Do I have to go all the way through checkout?

As soon as I click "proceed to checkout" it shows a prime savings of $20.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yep; the discount will show up at checkout. I went ahead and pre-ordered it; for $19 I figure why not. On the off chance I can get XBMC on this thing, I'll be thrilled.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Falco posted:

Although if this is a standalone device, what would be the benefit of buying a Fire TV? In essence they accomplish the same task at a much lower pricepoint. I've been contemplating a Fire TV for the past couple of weeks, mainly for XBMC, but this has me intrigued.

More powerful hardware. USB port. Comes with the voice remote.

Super Dude posted:

On the final page before checkout, you should see the discount added to your total.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 27, 2014

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
I ordered 2. I was going to order a FireTV(for XBMC), but with this thing announced and the very real possibility of side loading XBMC on it I don't see the reason for a full FireTV box. The fact that this comes with a full UI and an actual remote blows chromecast out of the water. I hated having to use my iPhone as a remote, and felt the chromecast was clunky overall.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Chromecast is hot garbage.

Will be very interesting to see what can be loaded on this stick. Like I said, dual core (with a quad core GPU) will definitely be pushing the limits.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Ordered two as well. I might keep one or give both away as Christmas presents. For the price these will make awesome gifts.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Also ordered two. If these pan out, I might try to sell the multiple Fire TVs I already have. I don't need voice search or the USB port, but XBMC would be killer as usual.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I had little to no interest in a FireTV, but for 20 bucks I picked up one of these to gently caress around with. The product's page shows a release date of 11/19 or so, but my estimated ship date is not until December 10th, so I guess they're selling well.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SouthLAnd posted:

Ordered two as well. I might keep one or give both away as Christmas presents. For the price these will make awesome gifts.

Thanks for the idea, this seems like it would be a perfect stocking-stuffer for $20.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

OldSenileGuy posted:

I had little to no interest in a FireTV, but for 20 bucks I picked up one of these to gently caress around with. The product's page shows a release date of 11/19 or so, but my estimated ship date is not until December 10th, so I guess they're selling well.

Seriously, I have no idea if I'll end up using this a lot, but for $20 it can be disposable for all I care.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Anyone have experience using a Fire TV at a hotel?

I would love to not have to jump through hoops to get it working like my Roku. If I could just open up a browser and connect with the device itself that would be great.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I was looking for a small media stick my wife can use on the upstairs tv and just saw the fire tv one for $20, I figure why not. All she really wants it for is Netflix and amazon video.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Malt posted:

Anyone have experience using a Fire TV at a hotel?

I would love to not have to jump through hoops to get it working like my Roku. If I could just open up a browser and connect with the device itself that would be great.
Not sure about the Fire TV, but the Stick page says this:

quote:

Coming soon—take Fire TV Stick with you to use with HDTVs in hotels, college dorms, or anywhere with captive portal Internet access that requires entering a password or a log-in.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Not sure about the Fire TV, but the Stick page says this:

I doubt hotels are going to be okay with this if it catches on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I doubt hotels are going to be okay with this if it catches on.

well it's not like you can't hook up a laptop or phone via hdmi right now either, i don't seem hotels really caring because you have to pay for WiFi in some places.

• Locked thread