Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I realize this thread might be a bit biased but is there a big difference between the Roku Stick and Fire Stick, other than $10? I'm looking at picking one up for an old 720p TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The amazon stick has a nicer UI.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
You can't sideload Kodi onto the Roku Stick. Roku Stick has a few apps that the Fire TV doesn't (VUDU, Warner Archive, Google Movies & Music, full Spotify)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 30, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also, with the Amazon one being Android-based it seems like it has better prospects for the future (in terms of apps, the device software itself, and homemade customization) compared to Roku which uses their own custom Lunix software.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
My experience with the Roku Stick was kinda lovely. Netflix performance was pretty bad with bad lag from the remote. It's just kinda underpowered, especially as devs update their apps. I love Roku, recommend the boxes, and am about to pick up a new Roku 2, but their first stick doesn't thrill me.

My Fire Stick has frequent hiccups as well, but mostly in the Youtube app, which is not Amazon's fault. But maybe since whatever device you pick will only have to output 720p, it won't be pushed as hard. It all depends on what you want to use it for.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm actually kind of pissed at myself that I bought a Roku 2 (new one with Roku 3 internals) before I tried out the fireTV stick.

The FireTV stick has so much better performance it isn't even funny. I'm waiting for them to release the updated one so it can take the place of the roku in the living room.

Roku has the breadth of apps, but the hardware needs more than the small refresh it got this year and they really need a UI overhaul. There's way too many low resolution assets, gradients, and rounded corners. It feels dated.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Don't buy Roku products. Every time say, Netflix introduces a new feature? Sorry, time to buy a new one, last year's model isn't getting that update.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I use a HTPC for all of my crazier things (meaning Kodi/XBMC or anything youtube related) otherwise my Roku 3 has been beyond stellar and I couldn't be any more pleased with it. I don't have a TON of apps on it but I like to think I have more than most. Mine is even going over wireless using a very dated 802.11g router and except for the incredibly rare "netflix has a problem with this" error mentioned a page ago that a soft reset fixes it's been flawless. I don't think it's ever stuttered on any video once.

The fire stick sounds pretty drat cool and I may pick one up for my family room one day, but for now I can't suggest the Roku 3 enough. I admit I got into the Roku game a bit late with the 3 so I can't really speak on upgrading and broken features and such, but since it came out I've been super happy with it. Even if Netflix/Hulu/Youtube takes a huge dump on it and kills it, it's still an absolutely amazing Plex device that I don't see myself getting rid of for many years.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I have a Roku stick and a Fire TV stick. The Roku stick is loving SLOW. I put it in our guest bedroom because I hate guests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
new thread incoming

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734295

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 2, 2015

• Locked thread