Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I ordered two sticks early yesterday and I'm getting a Nov. 25th arrival date. Had a buddy just order one and he's estimated arrival is Jan. 5th. These must be selling like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

wandler20 posted:

I ordered two sticks early yesterday and I'm getting a Nov. 25th arrival date. Had a buddy just order one and he's estimated arrival is Jan. 5th. These must be selling like crazy.

Well, there goes my stocking-stuffer idea. :mad:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I doubt hotels are going to be okay with this if it catches on.

short of hard wiring things to ports to make it impossible to unplug whatever is connected to the tv and having no extra ports for USB, HDMI, and the like, there isn't a way they can really stop it.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I wonder how many orders Amazon has got for their Fire stick. I know they're stingy when it comes to sales figures, but it would be neat to know what percentage of Prime users bought one.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

KKKLIP ART posted:

short of hard wiring things to ports to make it impossible to unplug whatever is connected to the tv and having no extra ports for USB, HDMI, and the like, there isn't a way they can really stop it.

Even as a child I recall wedging a flatblade screwdriver between the metal guard they put over the coax and the connector to unscrew it, so I could plug in my Nintendo. Hotels are stupid and can't/won't do poo poo. Even now I routinely move TVs in hotel rooms to use them as extra monitors.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So I noticed on their spec chart, it doesn't have HBO Go support. I'm new to the whole Amazon tv thing. Is there any chance of this being added in later?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So I noticed on their spec chart, it doesn't have HBO Go support. I'm new to the whole Amazon tv thing. Is there any chance of this being added in later?

I imagine it will be, especially with Amazon Prime having so much HBO content; regardless, isn't HBO trying to set up their own streaming service next year that doesn't require a cable subscription? I would think that if they do, it would be on Fire TV.

Edit: This is just an uninformed opinion from a guy that hasn't had HBO in 9 years and just started watching Deadwood on Prime. It is unimaginable that HBO wouldn't be a part of Fire TV.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 29, 2014

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

They announced HBG Go was coming when they added all of the HBO content. I think the press release said they were targeting having it on FireTV by the end of the year.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think the HBO Go APK will load, the issue is keyboard support.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Yes, if you get an APK it mostly works, I think the search box is a bit wonky, but otherwise I've used it with a mouse only.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Got a January delivery date, I'm hoping for xbmc support I'm tired of my roku destroying my bandwidth for some reason

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Just to talk about how cool Amazon was, I couple of weeks ago I ordered the regular Fire TV. 7 days later it was on sale for 85 and they credited me back the difference plus tax without me needing to ask. I got XBMC working pretty well, though with the Ooya APK instead of the regular android one. Something about the Ooya supporting GPU accelleration for videos whereas the android one didn't from what I could find. Its a great little box.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
I ordered one Monday just for the hell of it (:20bux: and change in WA), and got 11 Dec delivery. If it turns out I don't like it, I can always dump it off to someone else, I guess.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

Just to talk about how cool Amazon was, I couple of weeks ago I ordered the regular Fire TV. 7 days later it was on sale for 85 and they credited me back the difference plus tax without me needing to ask. I got XBMC working pretty well, though with the Ooya APK instead of the regular android one. Something about the Ooya supporting GPU accelleration for videos whereas the android one didn't from what I could find. Its a great little box.

XBMC has supported hardware acceleartion on android since Gotham was released (over 6 months ago).

Try 13.2, go to Settings>Advanced Settings>Hardware acceleration: Disable mediaencode and enable only libstagefright

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Oh hay, the Netflix app just got upgraded to a current version, and is no longer garbage!

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
The new Netflix app requires the latest software update (51.1.4.0_user_514006420) and it doesn't currently work on the pre-rooted version. Don't upgrade yet if you're rooted and you want to watch Netflix.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

sedative posted:

The new Netflix app requires the latest software update (51.1.4.0_user_514006420) and it doesn't currently work on the pre-rooted version. Don't upgrade yet if you're rooted and you want to watch Netflix.

Upgrading to the newest pre-rooted firmware breaks both the old and new Netflix app for me, which is fine for the moment for me as my PS3 does Netflix a million times better anyhow. Unless you need UK time zones there's really no reason to upgrade to this version at all.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Does anyone have a good option for AirPlay on the Fire Tv? I currently use an Apple TV 2 with XBMC for our media streaming box, but it's getting pretty sluggish and is having a lot of buffering issues lately. I'm really liking what I see with the Fire TV, but would really like to retain the ability to AirPlay from our phones or iPad to the Fire TV.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Falco posted:

Does anyone have a good option for AirPlay on the Fire Tv? I currently use an Apple TV 2 with XBMC for our media streaming box, but it's getting pretty sluggish and is having a lot of buffering issues lately. I'm really liking what I see with the Fire TV, but would really like to retain the ability to AirPlay from our phones or iPad to the Fire TV.

Have you looked at running Plexconnect instead of XBMC through your apple tv?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Falco posted:

There's also 3rd party airplay receiver apps on the Amazon Appstore for the Fire TV, although I can't speak to how well they actually work.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Im pretty sure XBMC has AirPlay built in. I can test it out after the World Series tonight

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

savesthedayrocks posted:

Im pretty sure XBMC has AirPlay built in. I can test it out after the World Series tonight

It does.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Threw a 500gb ssd on it and my fire tv shows a ton more space :)

Now I can grab those multi-gb games with space. (gta, jet set radio, etc)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's the likelyhood of the Fire TV Stick being able to handle 1080p videos? I've got a decent amount of 1080p movies on my server and it'd be really cool to use this thing as a bedroom XBMC device.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GobiasIndustries posted:

What's the likelyhood of the Fire TV Stick being able to handle 1080p videos? I've got a decent amount of 1080p movies on my server and it'd be really cool to use this thing as a bedroom XBMC device.

I dont see any reason it wouldnt handle 1080p video

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Raymn posted:

Have you looked at running Plexconnect instead of XBMC through your apple tv?

I haven't. I've used XBMC since it was on the original Xbox, so that's what I'm used to. I thought Plex required the processing to be done where the media is hosted. Mine lives on an external hard drive connected to my router, so I figured Plex wasn't a good option.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Well if this is the case, then XBMC on a Fire TV would be perfect. Now to find a used Fire TV to save some coin.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

My 3-year old Boxee Box does 1080p perfectly, so I'm sure it's fine.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

Claims "up to" 1080p right on the product page.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds good; I just wasn't sure if XBMC playing 1080p videos from my server would require more power than streaming from Netflix or Hulu.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Sounds good; I just wasn't sure if XBMC playing 1080p videos from my server would require more power than streaming from Netflix or Hulu.

Depends on the bitrate of the video.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Edit: Nevermind..

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 3, 2014

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Will it be easy to side load apps on this fire stick thing? Just need xbmc really.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Christobevii3 posted:

Will it be easy to side load apps on this fire stick thing? Just need xbmc really.

Rumor is yes. Truth is no one actually knows because it hasn't been released to anyone yet.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I live in the UK and had my firetv delivered yesterday evening. I knew I wouldn't be able to root it but i was still hoping that xbmc would sideload and work fine.

that it does and that i can have netflix/avod/all my other apps in the xbmc menu too, not to mention my network shares all stream my 1080p backups fine makes me the happiest user. this is an excellent bit of kit!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I have a $15 off coupon for one of these if someone wants it.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

wandler20 posted:

I have a $15 off coupon for one of these if someone wants it.

I'll snag it if it's still available.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Falco posted:

I'll snag it if it's still available.

I don't have PM but I'll email it over if that works for you.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

wandler20 posted:

I don't have PM but I'll email it over if that works for you.

Sure, that works for me.

Thanks, looked like it worked in addition to the current discount. It's close enough to the Staples price to pull the trigger without hassling with extra coupons.

Falco fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 5, 2014

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
Cross post from the HTPC thread, but maybe this was the more appropriate place for it.

Regarding Android and emulation:

Prior to this I was running OpenElec on a Foxconn A3500, and had the RetroArch plugin going in there, but ran into issues with my 360 controller, and had sound problems I couldn't sort out.

Right now I've got a FireTV and am using RetroArch, but it's a tad unfriendly in the UI/usability department. Biggest offender: exiting a running ROM.

I'm curious to hear how other people are doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A CBS News app has been added and it has a free 24/7 news stream called CBSN. Pretty much exactly like the Sky News app.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P32X9P8

• Locked thread