Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

withak posted:

I had one for a week or two in May and ended up returning it because it wasn't worth $99 over the Roku that I already have. I didn't like how the UI buried the free Prime movies in the middle of a million not-free movies, and the Plex app was glitchy as hell.

Maybe I will try a 2nd-gen one someday.

Any chance that using something like XBMC will eventually be possible without having to jump through a bunch of hoops? I'm too old for installing command-line dev tools to make my movies play right.

Jumping through hoops and command-line dev tools is kinda XBMC & Android in a nutshell though.

The Prime stuff should be fixed in the update that's rolling out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

kloa posted:

My only other gripe is Netflix needs to update their app to the much better looking interface :allears:

Yeah, this doesn't make much sense, I'm assuming there is a version of the Netflix android app that doesn't look like butt?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

The Gunslinger posted:

Have they updated the Netflix app at all? The last time I used it on the FireTV it looked like the generic app that all of the Chinese media players get or something.

It is still using a weird "not the same as everyone else" app for reasons unknown.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Call Me Charlie posted:

You can adjust the overscan in the settings of the Fire TV.

I've also found that how apps deal with the overscan correction on the firetv varies wildly. It ended up being easier to just leave it at the default and deal with it vs dealing with the random behavior on an app by app basis (some apps would end up with black border, some would end up cut off, some would be a-ok). :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Oh hay, the Netflix app just got upgraded to a current version, and is no longer garbage!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Falco posted:

Does anyone have a good option for AirPlay on the Fire Tv? I currently use an Apple TV 2 with XBMC for our media streaming box, but it's getting pretty sluggish and is having a lot of buffering issues lately. I'm really liking what I see with the Fire TV, but would really like to retain the ability to AirPlay from our phones or iPad to the Fire TV.

There's also 3rd party airplay receiver apps on the Amazon Appstore for the Fire TV, although I can't speak to how well they actually work.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Rurutia posted:

Does anyone know if the Superbowl will be available on either ESPN or NBC Live Extra (Or even Fox Sports?)? I have a Xfinity Log in with the sports package and I have Xfinity sideloaded onto a Fire TV Stick. Just wondering if I can host our Superbowl party before embarrassing myself.

According to this article, yes via NBC Live Extra. I dunno what Xfinity on a firetv stick shows up as, I'm assuming a tablet?

quote:

NBCUniversal has announced a promotion called “Super Stream Sunday, which allows consumers to stream 11 continuous hours of content related to the Super Bowl on Sunday, February 1st. NBC’s live stream programming includes the Super Bowl XLIX game between the Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots; the halftime show starring Katy Perry and Lenny Kravitz; the pre- and post-game shows; and the midseason debut of The Blacklist TV show.

You will not be required to log in to any cable subscription services to access the content. It will be available through NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports Live Extra app on iPads, Android tablets and the iPod Touch. NBC said that they do not have live streaming rights to mobile devices so you will not be able to watch it on iPhones or Android smartphones. If you plan to watch the Super Bowl live outside of the U.S. or Mexico, you can find it on the NFL Game Pass service for a price of $9.99.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchowdhry/2015/01/21/watch-super-bowl-xlix-online/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Rurutia posted:

Ok. Thanks, I saw the mobile device restriction and got nervous.

Yeah, verizon has exclusive rights for phones, so hopefully should be good with the fire stick.

• Locked thread