Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Although if this is a standalone device, what would be the benefit of buying a Fire TV? In essence they accomplish the same task at a much lower pricepoint. I've been contemplating a Fire TV for the past couple of weeks, mainly for XBMC, but this has me intrigued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Super Dude posted:

It's not showing as $19 for me.

Make sure you're logged into your Prime account.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Super Dude posted:

I only have one account, which I am currently logged into. Do I have to go all the way through checkout?

As soon as I click "proceed to checkout" it shows a prime savings of $20.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Does anyone have a good option for AirPlay on the Fire Tv? I currently use an Apple TV 2 with XBMC for our media streaming box, but it's getting pretty sluggish and is having a lot of buffering issues lately. I'm really liking what I see with the Fire TV, but would really like to retain the ability to AirPlay from our phones or iPad to the Fire TV.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Raymn posted:

Have you looked at running Plexconnect instead of XBMC through your apple tv?

I haven't. I've used XBMC since it was on the original Xbox, so that's what I'm used to. I thought Plex required the processing to be done where the media is hosted. Mine lives on an external hard drive connected to my router, so I figured Plex wasn't a good option.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Im pretty sure XBMC has AirPlay built in. I can test it out after the World Series tonight

Well if this is the case, then XBMC on a Fire TV would be perfect. Now to find a used Fire TV to save some coin.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

wandler20 posted:

I have a $15 off coupon for one of these if someone wants it.

I'll snag it if it's still available.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

wandler20 posted:

I don't have PM but I'll email it over if that works for you.

Sure, that works for me.

Thanks, looked like it worked in addition to the current discount. It's close enough to the Staples price to pull the trigger without hassling with extra coupons.

Falco fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 5, 2014

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

tesilential posted:

I've been using my fireTV for several months exclusively for Netflix and XBMC. It's still working great and I do not regret the purchase at all

Did they ever get around to releasing an app for screen mirroring? There have been a couple times I wanted to mirror my MacBook to the amazon fireTV and couldn't, instead resorting to plugging in my laptop to the tv. This is the only feature I miss when comparing to AppleTV or Chromecast.

Can't you do this within XBMC?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
It looks like there may now be a solution to using our Harmony remotes on the FireTV without dishing out for a Harmony Hub system. FLIRC just released an update adding functionality to the FireTV, and dropped the price to $14.95 through Cyber Monday. They also announced a new product coming out on Friday, so we'll have to wait and see what that is.

I'm stoked if I can use my older Harmony IR remote and go back to controlling my system with only one remote.

http://www.aftvnews.com/flirc-on-sale-for-14-95-adds-ir-remote-functionality-to-fire-tv/

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
On my Apple TV the buffering issues in XBMC become unbearable once I updated to Gotham. I bought a Fire TV hoping it was just an outdated hardware issue, but I'm stilling having a fair amount of buffering even with lower quality videos. I'm hoping that "Helix" solves some of these issues.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

African AIDS cum posted:

Just got a Fire TV stick for free, will it run XBMC as good or better than my apple tv 2? Just wondering if I can sell it. Thoughts?

I just sold my Apple TV 2 on eBay for $200 after I was sold on the big Fire TV.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Double post

Falco fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 21, 2014

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

African AIDS cum posted:

Can you airplay to fire TV from ios?

Yes either through XBMC which doesn't seem to work that well for me. Or we use the AirPlay/DLNA Receiver Pro app from the Amazon App Store. Works much better and is extremely close to using AirPlay on the Apple TV.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Call Me Charlie posted:

You can put it on the front page if you use the hijack trick.

Amazon FireTV Utility App (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2736774) has most of this stuff built in and you can change the icon to a Kodi logo. (No rooting required to change the icon despite what the program says)

Kodi can do the same thing if you use upnp from the host pc.

I was coming in to post exactly this. I absolutely love th FireTV utility app (AdbFire on Mac). It's taken all of the legwork out of tweaking the FireTV. I only wish I had known about it before I bought mine so that I could have tried rooting it to gain USB drive support.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Call Me Charlie posted:

I don't know if this guy's sources are solid but...

USB drive support would be huge for me. I've been going round and round over the best setup to host and stream files to Kodi on the FireTV. Currently I've got an external drive connected through a Time Capsule that is then connected to our FIOS router. Which is all much more convoluted than it needs to be. I've been waffling over transitioning everything over to a basic NAS or something a bit more robust and dedicated, but if I can just connect the external directly to the FireTV, I would be stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Legdiian posted:

Are the Apple TV 2's still selling for a premium? Did you need to sell it with XBMC installed or did you just factory default it and put it up? Mine has been collecting dust since I received my Fire TV.

Yup I sold mine about a year ago with Kodi installed for $190 really easily on eBay.

• Locked thread