Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Does the FireTV doe 24fps for movies or support Hi10P for self encoded stuff if I play via plex or something like that? My WDTV bit the dust and I am looking for a replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Amazon has a good enough return policy and I don't mind using plex to transcode if it won't play something via its native format. Is there a worthwhile reason to maybe put XBMC on it? What if I want full netflix / prime video access too? Can the Fire's version of XBMC do that?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I doubt hotels are going to be okay with this if it catches on.

short of hard wiring things to ports to make it impossible to unplug whatever is connected to the tv and having no extra ports for USB, HDMI, and the like, there isn't a way they can really stop it.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think the HBO Go APK will load, the issue is keyboard support.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Just to talk about how cool Amazon was, I couple of weeks ago I ordered the regular Fire TV. 7 days later it was on sale for 85 and they credited me back the difference plus tax without me needing to ask. I got XBMC working pretty well, though with the Ooya APK instead of the regular android one. Something about the Ooya supporting GPU accelleration for videos whereas the android one didn't from what I could find. Its a great little box.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

Updated the OP.

If I missed anything or you know of something that should be included, please tell me :)

------------

Amazon Fire TV Remote App has been added to Amazon and Google Play

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-TV-Remote/dp/B00ODIASKC
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.storm.lightning.client.aosp

This adds a keyboard and HBO Go needs a keyboard to work when sideloaded. It would be interesting to see if this solves that problem

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

My firetv came with an un-rootable firmware on it already so I don't get any of those goodies. Mostly just want to replace the classictv app icon with an XBMC one. I don't suppose there is a downgrade option?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I need a lovely USB keyboard for some XBMC related things, can I plug any old lovely USB keyboard in to the USB port? Does it require a root to do so?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

It should work. I haven't tried it but the Fire TV did recognize my Logitech Unifying dongle (and multiple devices like the solar keyboard, the wireless trackball and the K400 keyboard/touchpad hybrid) No root required.

Yeah, I don't need anything special. Literally any keyboard with a working 'i' button :v:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Dale Meets Wall posted:

So for my parents I was going to get a fire TV for Christmas but the stick seems better if it will do what I'd like. Basically I need Netflix playback and Plex playback. How does it handle transcoding? My Plex server isn't local to them but WiFi is fine for streaming (I was able to stream 1080p content to my tablet via Plex in he TV room) Will the fire stick do this or is the box a better choice?

I had issues with plex stuttering on wifi and LAN but have no issues with XBMC. The rest of my network is on gigabit LAN, but the FireTV is 100mbit. It might have just been my settings, but I couldn't get it to run smoothly.
E:this is for the FireTV, for the stick, YMMV

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

post is not edit

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Fremry posted:

Putting this back out there again, because I'd rather have a goon give me a straight answer than trying to deal with Twitch support.

If this is a sideloaded app, you might need a keyboard to the FireTV app on android will give you an onscreen keyboard if you can somehow navigate to a logon button.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Crosspost from the general XBMC thread, I don't know if this is a FireTV version of XBMC/Kodi issue or just a general issue:

So before, I was having issues with about 7 or 8 movies not showing up in my library despite using MediaElch to make sure they had NFOs and art and all that jazz even though I can see them in the file list if I just browse there. Someone told me to highlight them in the list and just press "I" but that isn't working for me. I do that, get asked to name the file (which I do), click ok, and it just keeps asking me to name the file over and over. If I click cancel and update my library, I get nothing. Some basic research seems to suggest that they took that out of 13.2. Any other ideas?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

That was me.

It should pop up a thing saying something 'found local information, do you want to use it' before the name thing pops up (the name thing is the search for the scraper)

A different route you can go is adding the movies to TheMovieDB.com - it will take a day before it shows up in the search but that way you wouldn't have to mess around with NFOs.

Yeah I'm not getting any of that. I have my movie library to take my local info as opposed to MovieDB, but it just asks me to give it a name and nothing else. I give it a name and it just asks again, and again, and again. No option to load local information. I might fire up MediaElch again just to make sure the NFOs saved, but I'm pretty sure they did.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

deebo posted:

Yeah still have the problem if I clear amazon video data clear cache reboot and go straight to amazon movies. Tried setting xbmc to software rendering and a bunch of other suggestions that apparently fixed the problem for other people but so far nothing has worked. I can watch the instant video fine on pc so I dont think it should be a network issue?.

My guess would be software needs to be updated. If you have a rooted device, can't you get one of the pre-rooted updated versions of the software that you can flash through recovery if you've got that set up too?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

adorai posted:

it has but it requires soldering an adapter onto the flash so that you can read and write to it as though it were removable storage on a pc.

I think this is also the same as the regular FireTV, but the chance of bricking is like 95%

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

adorai posted:

honestly the firetv is so awesome as is, with the default GUI + sideload ability, I have zero desire to root either of mine. I'm probably even going to get a stick for my bedroom (replacing an ATV1 running xbmc).

Only thing I actually want to do that requires root is give myself an actual XBMC icon. Llama is good, but a real icon is better!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If there is some kind of blank app that has either the XBMC or Kodi logo that I could then use Llama for, well that would be neat.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So lets say that you have a friends login for HBOGo but you use Comcast for internet, do they still prohibit you from using the app if you have it installed?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

BonoMan posted:

It's dependent on which service your friend gets his HBO sub from.

That's pretty crappy.so if the HBO subscription is on Comcast you are boned butnifnit is seemingly anyone else, it works? That's really terrible. In any event, the HBO Go app seems really sluggish

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Dongle will never not be a funny word to read.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I don't know if it will help the stick at all, but I tossed Kodi's 3rd RC on my FireTV and it seems to work perfectly fine.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

That seems to have helped too. The UI at least is way more responsive now, and youtube works more often than not now. I'll consider that victory for today, thanks.

Yeah Android (or at least the Fire boxes / sticks) don't use MediaCodec for hardware acceleration at all. I think having both the hardware acceleration options just messes things up as far as actually decoding the video. I can't say for sure if it would make the "soft" look that you were describing, but it could help.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Maybe I'm blind, but I'm not seeing an acceleration options in the Kodi video settings. Nor in the FTV settings.

Under playback, make sure you have advanced (down at the bottom) enabled instead of standard or basic. After that you should see an option on the left side that says acceleration.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If I'm going from the last release candidate of Kodi to the full fledged release, do I just sideboard it or should I uninstall the release candidate first?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Falcon2001 posted:

with a big box fire tv should I expect to be able to play most 1080p content streamed from my NAS using XBMC? or should I need plex/etc to transcode?

My NAS Is wired via gigabit, though the Fire is only 100mbit, I have had no issue with streaming anything. I have heard that some people maybe increase the size of the cache for Kodi to make double sure but I haven't even done that and it's been gravy.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I think the reason why I like Plex better is because A) it doesn't have to be launched from 6 menus deep and B) the UI is much cleaner. Also, having a Plex server means that it'll sync the watched/unwatched status as well as keep your progress between different Plex clients.

That said, I've been having terrible studdering issues with Plex lately and it's driving me insane. Videos will just freeze in the middle and I have to back out and hit play again. 25% chance it'll lose my place. I wonder if something is up with their latest update.

I use Llama to launch right off the main screen and replaced the app icon to just say Kodi.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

I can't plug a USB into this thing? drat you, Amazon.

USB what? Keyboards, controllers, and a few other odds and ends work out the box. External drives I think only work on rooted FireTVs, and I am pretty sure that you can't plug anything at all in to the stick because it doesn't have the hardware to do it.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

A low profile 32GB thumb drive and a few Xbox 360 controllers could make the Fire a nice retro game emulation station

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It seems the Amazon version of Kodi is a beta for those that are having any issues with it

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

PuTTY riot posted:

This didn't work. The moral of the story is: never update anything ever, for any reason.

This might be the least fun, but have you cleared all cache / data / uninstalled Kodi and just re-downloaded a clean version from Amazon?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I'm also reasonably sure you don't have to sideload HBO Go anymore.

In a different direction, I know android currently locks to 60hz for a refresh rate, but is there a way to force 24,even temporarily?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If it could work with a USB hub so I could keep my wireless keyboard and a big fat USB drive at the same time, that would be tits for stuff like emulation.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

TraderStav posted:

USB support and official Kodi in the app store? FireTV just became the ultimate HTPC. Can you share the USB drive for easy transferring of files?

Agreed. Only issue with the FireTV is just am android issue and that is no framerate switching from 60. I can deal with that and usually don't notice it too much.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I got the Kodi app on my android phone from the Amazon store, went home, and it was on my FireTV without doing anything. Some people seem to have no problems and others it just doesn't work right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

PuTTY riot posted:

I should've refreshed before I edited my post, but I had tried this a few times and it didn't do the trick. I guess my appstore data got corrupted at some point. Sucks that I missed the boat on kodi on this device. Oh well.

you didnt miss the kodi boat, you can still sideload it.

• Locked thread