Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
I ordered 2. I was going to order a FireTV(for XBMC), but with this thing announced and the very real possibility of side loading XBMC on it I don't see the reason for a full FireTV box. The fact that this comes with a full UI and an actual remote blows chromecast out of the water. I hated having to use my iPhone as a remote, and felt the chromecast was clunky overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So I noticed on their spec chart, it doesn't have HBO Go support. I'm new to the whole Amazon tv thing. Is there any chance of this being added in later?

They announced HBG Go was coming when they added all of the HBO content. I think the press release said they were targeting having it on FireTV by the end of the year.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Christobevii3 posted:

Will it be easy to side load apps on this fire stick thing? Just need xbmc really.

Rumor is yes. Truth is no one actually knows because it hasn't been released to anyone yet.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

SouthLAnd posted:

I opened my Fire TV stick today and I just can't get the thing to work. It immediately wants to download an update, gets anywhere between 0 and 50% of it downloaded, then fails. Does this thing just have really terrible wifi or something?

If you can put it in the room with the router for the initial boot/update, it's easier and faster. My first one went in the living room where my router lives and took about 20 minutes to download/update. The one in my bedroom 1 wall away took double that, but runs fine now that it's updated.

I think it's just really picky about the download/update process so as to not brick peoples fireTVs off the bat.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Dale Meets Wall posted:

So for my parents I was going to get a fire TV for Christmas but the stick seems better if it will do what I'd like. Basically I need Netflix playback and Plex playback. How does it handle transcoding? My Plex server isn't local to them but WiFi is fine for streaming (I was able to stream 1080p content to my tablet via Plex in he TV room) Will the fire stick do this or is the box a better choice?

Netflix is a little slow in loading and in some of the menus. It's just not quite as snappy of an experience as it would be on the big FireTV box or a Roku 3. I don't find it to be an issue though, it just leaves a slight bit to be desired.

Plex has worked fine for me. I'm watching a movie via Plex right now. Remember that Transcoding is all done on the server in Plex, so the load on the FTV stick isn't that heavy.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

IuniusBrutus posted:

I have been thinking of a Fire TV, but the primary reason I want to use it is for emulators. I have zero issue side-loading, but don't want to dick around with trying to root it. Without root, is it possible to to get it to run with a keyboard, game controller (360 wired? PS3?) and some sort of external storage? What is the most recent thing it can emulate without issues?

Keyboards and Game Controllers work out of the box (360 Wired is what most people use) with the big FireTV. I don't think there's a way to add external storage without root, which you can't really do anymore unless you can find a old stock FireTV. I know I've seen up to N64/Dreamcast emulators running smoothly on the big FireTV. The stick is less powerful and seems to lag on N64, especially with Smash from the videos I've seen of it.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

adorai posted:

I can say that using reicast on a launch (big) firetv, i am unable to play crazy taxi. It's terribly laggy and regularly crashes.

Ah, I've only seen a few videos of dreamcast games, so yeah personal experience>youtube videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

savesthedayrocks posted:

Anyone else get terrible performance from the mlb app? I can watch sling, Netflix, YouTube, and plex all with minimal loading but mlb stutters on both my stick and firetv.

Uninstall and reinstall. It helped mine a bit but it's still buffer city for certain games. It'll be better next year. Takes the MLB guys a season to fix the bugs on new platforms.

• Locked thread