Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

(popcorn not included)

quote:

Amazon Fire TV is a digital media player and game microconsole developed by Amazon.com. It is designed to stream audio and video content to high definition televisions. The system also allows users to play a range of video games. Fire TV runs on Fire OS 3.0 (Mojito), which is based on Android and is compatible with Android 4.4.2 KitKat, with regard to apps and development. The system runs on a quad-core Qualcomm Krait 1.7GHz processor, with an Adreno 320 GPU, 2GB of RAM and 8GB of internal storage. The Fire TV offers HDMI and optical audio outputs with support for Dolby Digital Plus and 5.1 surround sound, with 1080p playback.

Now in stick form!

(popcorn still not included)

quote:

NOTICE: You can sideload apps, including XBMC, onto the Fire TV Stick.

Amazon Fire TV Stick is a newly released low cost Android-based (Fire OS) set-top box in a HDMI-stick format.

Amazon Fire TV Stick contains a less powerful ARM processor and half the onboard RAM but technically provides all the same features as its big brother, Amazon Fire TV. Other things (that are known to be) missing are Kindle Freetime, support for certain games, Ethernet port, free USB port, voice remote.

Let's get to the good stuff first. At the end, I'll highlight some good apps you may have missed, apps coming soon and apps that are missing.

Sideloading

The thing that really sets the Fire TV apart from every other streaming box is the ability to sideload normal Android apps.

It's as simple as going Settings -> System -> Developer Options -> enable ADB Debugging, connecting ADB (tutorial) and installing the apk (tutorial)

That sounds difficult!

There's a GUI called Amazon FireTV Utility App v0.30 that simplifies that process. Enter your IP address into the program after enabling ADB Debugging on your box and that's it. Now you can easily install APKs or push files to your box. Be careful with the more advanced features if you don't know what you're doing.

What type of apps can I install?

Just about any browser including Firefox with Flash, emulators up to the Dreamcast, HBO GO, Dropbox, DISH Anywhere, Spotify, PlayOn, XFINITY TV Go and many more. Most of these require a mouse to navigate.

USB

There's native support for all sorts of USB things. Keyboard/Mouse (I can confirm the Logitech Unifying Receiver), Xbox 360 controllers (wired or with the dongle), IR receivers like FLIRC, USB hubs.

XBMC Gotham doesn't require a mouse and works perfectly with the included remote.

This wiki page has everything you need to know about XBMC on Fire TV including installation, updating, getting it to appear on your home screen, updating the splash image and remapping the remote controls.

Only thing it can't play is things encoded with VC-1. Beyond that, it's just like the normal XBMC you know and love including the ability to install any add-on you want. Check out the XBMC thread here for more information.

Access XBMC from the main menu

There's two ways.

You can use Llama to hijack a different app.

quote:

- Install / side-load Llama.
- Install “Classic TV” app from Amazon app store.
- Launch Llama (From FireTV - Settings > Applications > Llama > Launch Application).
- Go to EVENTS on top menu and click '+' to add a NEW EVENT.
- In your NEW EVENT select ADD CONDITION then, from the Menu select 'Active Application' and select 'Choose App’. Scroll through the list of apps until you find “Classic TV” and select this app. Doing this should return you to the Events Menu.
- Next, select ADD ACTION and select 'Run Application' from the Menu list. From here, select whatever the name of your XBMC build is. That should create your event. At this point you can also name your event to distinguish it from others.
(Optional) - Select ADD ACTION and select 'Kill Application' from the Menu list. From here, select "Classic TV". This will close Classic TV after you open XBMC.

Or you can install an alternate launcher like FiredTVLauncher

Adding android apps to XBMC's main page

It's possible to jump directly into apps from the main page in XBMC.

1. Download a skin like Amber
2. Add-ons -> Programs -> Android Apps -> Lines button the app you want -> Add to favorites
3. Settings -> Home Menu -> Select an empty slot -> Select the app -> Name it

And that's it. Now you can access Netflix or Hulu or any other app you have installed directly from XBMC's page. And pressing the back button at the main screen of that app takes you back to XBMC.

Note: this doesn't work for any of the default Amazon apps like Amazon Video or Amazon Music. You'll still have to go to the main menu to access those things.

What about root?

It's not really worth the cat and mouse game with Amazon to keep root. Amazon's issuing firmware updates that break root and you can potentially run into app issues where the app requires the newest firmware update to run properly. If you want to learn more about root, I'd suggest xda-developers. http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/general

Latest firmware

The latest firmware is 51.1.4.1_user_514013920. It adds

- Prime Music support
- Autoplay for Amazon videos (so now it will automatically play the next episode if you're watching a TV series you own or have on Prime)
- A dedicated sleep button in the settings

Apps

Beyond your standard apps (Netflix/Hulu Plus/PBS/YouTube/Crackle/ESPN/etc), here's some standouts you may have missed.

- TuneIn Radio. The best online radio service. Access local radio channels or online only ones like SomaFM.
- CBS News. Has a free HD 24/7 live stream of CBSN and a VOD section.
- Sky News. Has a free HD 24/7 live stream of Sky News and a VOD section.
- Red Bull TV. Has a bunch of free original programming including live sports and concert events.
- Pluto.TV is basically a curated YouTube/Vimeo program. Includes 100+ channels and a cable guide like system to navigate them.
- Smithsonian Channel. Has a number of full episodes plus a handful of clips.

Apps coming soon

HBO Go is suppose to launch before the end of the year but I wouldn't be surprised if that was delayed until Q1 2015. HBO Go is now available. http://www.amazon.com/HBO-GO/dp/B0089BPEZS

Apps missing

The biggest one has to be Vudu. And there's a possibility that we'll never get it considering that WalMart is about to launch their own stick. You can use an app like Flixster to access your Ultraviolet movies but that only supports SD streaming.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
That spring update is going to slowly roll out starting next week.

quote:

The initial launch — coming within a week — is being described as a "narrow" release to a limited subset of subscribers, with wider availability in the coming weeks.

http://www.theverge.com/hd-home/2014/6/19/5818982/amazon-launches-freetime-for-kids-on-fire-tv

But it looks like Prime Music and the Games & Fire TV app isn't going to make this update.

quote:

New Features
Prime browse: Browse several categories of Prime content, including, but not limited to: Top Prime TV, Top Prime Movies, Prime TV for Kids, Prime Movies for Kids, Prime TV by Genre, Prime Movies by Genre
Amazon FreeTime: Create custom profiles for up to four kids, choosing the movies, TV shows, apps, and games they can access. Easily set up daily screen limits and restrict certain types of content.
Amazon Music: Listen to music from your Amazon Music Library. See lyrics that display line by line while you listen to many of your favorite songs (Prime Music coming later this year).

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 19, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The update started to roll out yesterday.

Looks like it didn't patch out the current root.

A Prime Video tab has been added above movies. Sections include

recently added prime tv
recently added prime movies
recommended prime tv
recommended prime movies
hbo on prime instant video
prime member exclusives
top tv on prime
top movies on prime
kids tv on prime
prime tv genres
prime movie genres

Freetime tab underneath video library. You have the ability to hide it if you're not interested.

Music tab has been added above photos. Gives you access to everything in your Cloud Player. Full voice support. Doesn't include Prime Music content. Every section has a shuffle all songs feature.

Settings. Display And Sounds has been moved to it's own section.
Parental Controls has a 'create a freetime profile' thing added.
Amazon Appstore settings has been added under Applications. You can turn on or off Automatic Updates and In-App Purchases
Quiet time finally has an explanation 'Turn on to hide all application notifications'

Only issue I've been having is with PleXBMC. Before the update, it was buttery smooth and now it plays for about two minutes before the video starts to chug and desync from the audio. Anybody else having this issue or is it just me? Everything else in XBMC stil works fine beyond that.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

havenwaters posted:

Oddly enough I've been getting the same issue but did NOT update my fireTV. I'm not sure what's up either. I'm considering just grabbing plex again for $5 even though I already own it on the play store and using it instead.

e: After trying something else may just be specific videos (that still work fine on other devices). I've noticed that a lot of things are being reported as SD for some reason when they are HD and at least one of those isn't changing the symbol when you play it. That one keeps stuttering after 2ish minutes.

e 2: Huh, doesn't work connected by external media either. Maybe something broke with this file for me and this is a completely different problem. Video still works fine on my pc, plex to my phone, and plex to my chromecast though. Must be a specific issue with either the video and xbmc on the firetv or the video and the firetv in general.

The weird thing is that my newest Fire TV, which also got the upgrade, can play all the files with no issue while my old Fire TV can barely get out of the gate. Almost makes me think it's a storage issue since my old one only has about 1.78 GB free while my new one has like 5.3 GB free. Not exactly sure why they would be the case. Maybe XBMC is emulating more storage than is available and it's causing PleXBMC to spaz out?

How much free space do you have?

I'll keep messing around with it to see if I can figure out what happened.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

withak posted:

I had one for a week or two in May and ended up returning it because it wasn't worth $99 over the Roku that I already have. I didn't like how the UI buried the free Prime movies in the middle of a million not-free movies, and the Plex app was glitchy as hell.

They already pushed that update I told you about which added a Prime Video tab.

withak posted:

Any chance that using something like XBMC will be possible without having to jump through a bunch of hoops? I'm too old for installing command-line dev tools to make my movies play right.

I haven't tried it but some guy at XDA hacked together a GUI for it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2736774

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie posted:

I haven't tried it but some guy at XDA hacked together a GUI for it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2736774

Since I was looking to do a factory refresh anyways, I decided to give this a test run.

Besides looking like it time warped out of 1999, it seems simple enough.

I turned on ADB debugging on my Fire TV, entered the Fire TV IP into the program and selected the XBMC apk (Gotham arm) I downloaded. The script opens up command prompt, does all the poo poo you'd normally have to do by hand and pushes it to the Fire TV. Simple enough. It may look like it's frozen but it's a 60 MB file so give it a minute or two.

When you see this

It's installed.

I don't really care about the splash screen but I figured I tried it. Saved over the included one with http://i59.tinypic.com/2mi409g.png - Installed with no problem. Honestly, XBMC loads so quickly that you'll barely see it.

Clicked Install Llama - it worked

Didn't know what Llama XBMC config was so I ignored it and used the method on XBMC wiki to redirect Classic TV into launching XBMC.

quote:

Install / side-load Llama.
Install “Classic TV” app from Amazon app store.
Launch Llama (From FireTV - Settings > Applications > Llama > Launch Application).
Go to EVENTS on top menu and click '+' to add a NEW EVENT.
In your NEW EVENT select ADD CONDITION then, from the Menu select 'Active Application' and select 'Choose App’. Scroll through the list of apps until you find “Classic TV” and select this app. Doing this should return you to the Events Menu.
Next, select ADD ACTION and select 'Run Application' from the Menu list. From here, select whatever the name of your XBMC build is. That should create your event. At this point you can also name your event to distinguish it from others.

And that worked. Now every time I click Classic TV, it fires XBMC. No having to dig around in the settings for it.

I didn't try 'switch Classic TV icon with XBMC icon' since it requires root but here's what it looks like installed.

- edit I decided to root and it walked me through setting it up. And I replaced the icon. No issues.

The whole process seemed brain dead simple. I guess if you're scared of going into the command prompt yourself, this will work for you. And it can sideload any apk, not just XBMC.

If you need to push a XBMC repository like PleXBMC, you can use one of the command prompts the program opens. Just type

adb push <local pc path to file> <destination path on fire tv>

so example

adb push C:\Android\FireTV\repositories_installer.zip /sdcard/Download

then it's the standard add-ons -> install from zip file -> root filesystem -> sdcard -> downloads to install your zip

havenwaters posted:

Could be a storage thing. I remember getting a "warning, cache full" message the first time I played the problem video. Other new videos I played afterwards still worked fine. Problem video not so much. Of course it could be something dumb like a corrupted header. I need to try the video out on the 4 year old set top box/ps3 to see if it works.

Cache full is normal if you're trying to play a big file. It shouldn't effect playback.

I did a factory reset and it fixed my issue. Not sure what the issue was. Without caching my Plex data, which is about a GB, I have 4.36 GB available after reinstalling all my crap. Hopefully after I cache everything, it won't start acting up again. We'll see.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 28, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gozinbulx posted:

I really don't get why people love all these solutions that require an intermediary server/device (Plex, Chromecast, ect). XBMC is all that put direct. If you have a NAS, great, but if not, just slap an external HDD on there after rooting (rooting it super easy, don't be intimated by it)

I have around 3000 movies in my collection and I already cleaned up all the art/metadata in Plex. I really don't want to start over with XBMC. Plus it's nice to have all that stuff in central location instead of it being by device.

PleXBMC has all the same navigation stuff (newly added/newly released/on deck/etc) that Plex has.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

clockworx posted:

Is there a known issue w/ running XMBC breaking the built-in video player? If I try to play a Prime movie after using XBMC, every one fails with a generic error. If I force close XBMC, it starts working again.

Still love it, though. No regrets at all.

I'm not a 100% sure why that happens but if you stop the video (not just pause it) and use the exit button on XBMC, you shouldn't run into that issue. I've run into the same thing if I accidentally pause a video and hit the home button to get back to the main menu.

bagina posted:

Also, any great repositories for someone who has been away from XBMC for a few years?

I don't think I can explain why but sportdevil, mashup, and xbmcplus are a good start.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 4, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jerkface posted:

Gonna repost this question here: I got a fireTV and put XBMC on it and did the llama stuff and its awesome, but whats the best way to get my stuff streaming from my PC to the XBMC? I can use PS3 Media Server, but is there a superior option out there? I have a windows 7 PC.

You can use plex if you want a central hub for your media. Otherwise, it should be possible to stream stuff direct from your PC to your Fire TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBGKcLu7aGk

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
MLB.TV has been added if any baseball fans were waiting on that one.

http://amazon.com/MLB-Advanced-Media-L-P-MLB-TV/dp/B00LH9UG3O

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Disney just added their line up of apps.

Watch Disney Channel = http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WATCH-Channel/dp/B00BFWY2KG/ref=lp_7031433011_1_11?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1406325988&sr=1-11
Watch Disney XD = http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WATCH-XD/dp/B00BFX4FUM/ref=lp_7031433011_1_17?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1406325988&sr=1-17
Watch Disney Junior = http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WATCH-Junior/dp/B00BFX2DI8/ref=lp_7031433011_1_19?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1406325988&sr=1-19

Watch ABC and Watch ABC Family are still suppose to be coming soon.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 25, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Roundboy posted:

I've been using both a roku 3 and a fire tv in my house sans cable. When I check out my amazon prime content via roku, i can easily browse all prime movies / tv as well as by channel, like all BBC , CBS, ABC , etc content.

When I try and do the same via the actual fire tv, I can only see reccomended TV/Movies, and only recently added movies. Is there any way I can actually browse all Prime content i have available ? Its really glaring the difference in browsing the content i want to see, anyone else have this problem ? better yet, a solution?

roku basically gives you a view into all content broken out much like the HBO stuff is special

Have you updated your box recently? Amazon added a bunch of Prime related navigation in the last update. Granted, it's not nearly as robust as the Roku app since it's can only show a limited number of titles and there's no network search but it's something.

Beyond that, you can search on the site and add the things that interest you to your watchlist. (again, not optimal but it's something)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Roundboy posted:

I dont play games on roku, but the ftv(for the kids) is like a cheap game console. Cons: its the amazon app store, so you will rebuy everything . you can sideload, but its a pain in the dick to access.

If you're like me and you always click the free app of the day, even though you don't have an android device to use them on, you'll find that you have a decent Fire TV library right out the gate.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon pushed an update today that blocks root.

http://www.aftvnews.com/new-fire-tv-firmware-blocks-rooting/

Mine updated before I read that. It also broke my voice search but the XBMC setup I had on home page still works so I'll wait and see what happens before I try anything. Turns out that my remote needed an update. Voice search is working again.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 16, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CarlGustav posted:

- no installation of apks from unknown sources

This one isn't true. The new update specifically added a 'install from unknown sources' option under developer tools in the settings. (Not that you couldn't do it beforehand but now you can turn it off)

Another cool, but minor, thing you can't do without root is replace the Classic TV icon with a XBMC one if you do the reroute trick.

dalstrs posted:

You don't need root for xbmc do you?

Yeah. Root's not necessary to sideload XBMC.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 14, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

a worthy uhh posted:

I'm debating getting an FTV (coming from Roku3) and have a few questions that might sway me one way or another. The big one is HBOGo. I know that you can sideload it, but is there/will there be a native app? Google is vague on that. Followup: Will it support Comcast? Roku HBOGo will not allow Comcast users.

I also use Netflix, Amazon Prime Movies, and Youtube. Those seem to be just fine. Any quirks, coming from Roku?

Lastly, Plex. I have a ton of issues and quirks that I have to work around to get Roku Plex working nicely. Does the FTV Plex work well out of the box?

A native version of HBO Go is suppose to be up by the end of the year. If your cable company supports HBO Go, you should be able to access it. Comcast is a loving weirdo in that regard.

The Verge posted:

But this is something of an unfortunate trend for the cable operator, and it's a pain that Roku owners know all too well. Despite persistent pleas, Comcast has refused HBO Go access to owners of the popular set-top boxes. Keep in mind these are Comcast's own paying customers we're talking about; cord-cutters aren't even part of the conversation. And there's no clear rhyme or reason to how Comcast decides which devices can use HBO Go. If you own an Apple TV or Xbox 360, you can stream shows and movies without issue. (Xbox 360 support was also delayed initially, but for only a short time.) The company even supports HBO Go on Samsung Smart TVs. But Roku — and for now the PlayStation 3 — aren't so lucky. Rather than stall in releasing its own app, Sony obviously decided that its customers had waited long enough and launched HBO Go for PS3 yesterday, promising that a PlayStation 4 version is also in the pipeline. Sony's consoles have proven to be a popular choice for video streaming, so we hope Comcast joins other providers sooner than later.

Weird quirks coming from the Roku. Netflix uses an older interface. Sometimes Amazon movies won't play and you'll have to clear the cache to get it work again. I've had issues with YouTube where I have to delete the devices synced to it and re-add them for remote content selection. I don't know if Roku also has that issue.

Plex doesn't have a ton of native codec support so most of your media will probably have to be transcoded which may not be an issue for you coming from a Roku. If you need direct playback, you'll need to set up something like PleXBMC.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

And out of curiosity, what is the purpose of PlexBMC? Why would someone use it on a machine that runs XBMC properly? It sounds cool (especially the "pre-buffering" feature) but I am just wondering its purpose.

It's mostly for people who already have their Plex server set up. I should probably transition over to XBMC completely but it seems extremely complex.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gozinbulx posted:

How so? The only server you need to setup is a file server. Once you have that, just point your sources in XBMC at it and viola.

Looks like I was reading out of date guides on it.

What would you suggest to a person that has a central (netbook power) pc with all the media hard drives and a variety of devices around the house? (2 Fire TVs, 2 PCs)

americanzero4128 posted:

I'm thinking about buying a FireTV, but I am unsure how it would come shipped. At work, I have an Amazon Prime account that I use for the 2 day shipping, and would use this account for the videos and TV shows. If I order this from Amazon with my work account, I'll have it by Friday. Will it be forever tied to the Amazon account that purchases it, or during setup, do I get the option to sign in with an Amazon account and can tie it to my personal Amazon account, but use work's Prime account for content?

It comes tied to your account unless you check 'as a gift' at checkout. You log into your account and that's the account you have access to. You can't log in with two accounts. So if you want to access your work's Prime, that's the account you'll have to use.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I don't really mind not having the XBMC icon but I would be interested in you sharing how you changed it! The Amazon Fire TV rooting/XBMC app from this thread has some nice install tweaks but nothing about installing a replacement icon.

'Switch ClassicTV icon to XBMC icon' under XBMC splash screen/Autopilot/Llama on that app I posted about.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 27, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Crossposting from Coupons but Castle Of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse for Fire TV is only $0.99, normally it's $9.99

And it's surprisingly playable with the TV remote if you don't have a spare 360 controller laying around.

http://www.amazon.com/Castle-Illusion-Starring-Mickey-Mouse/dp/B00KYYS2VG

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 2, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Some notable apps have been added over the past couple of days. Sky News (with HD live stream), NFL Now, PBS and PBS Kids

And for some reason, the new Dailymotion app is region locked so Americans can't download it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

mcbexx posted:

Got my FireTV today (launch day in Germany, yay!) and immediately started sideloading some apps (Watchever and Netflix, the former being a german VOD service).

The transfer went smoothly, but when I launch either app, it is zoomed in and cropped on my HD TV.
It also appears that the menu navigation within those apps is not working properly with the FireTV remote (couldn't tell for sure, since the output is zoomed and cropped.

Is there an easy fix or are the apks just not working correctly on the FireTV?
I downloaded the latest versions from Google Play via Raccoon (and a throwaway account).

You can adjust the overscan in the settings of the Fire TV.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

KKKLIP ART posted:

Amazon has a good enough return policy and I don't mind using plex to transcode if it won't play something via its native format. Is there a worthwhile reason to maybe put XBMC on it? What if I want full netflix / prime video access too? Can the Fire's version of XBMC do that?

XBMC can direct play a lot of files that the official Plex app can't. You can also use a skin like Amber to link android apps like Netflix/Hulu Plus/etc to the main screen. You click it, it opens the app and when you back out of it, it returns you to XBMC.

There's no way to access Amazon Video/Music that way but it's easy enough to jump in and out of XBMC.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Does the Amazon Fire have any sort of "casting" capabilities (think AirPlay and Chromecast) for non-Kindle devices? Even audio would be good.

Not officially but you could try AllCast.

http://www.amazon.com/ClockworkMod-AllCast-for-Fire-TV/dp/B00JHMPP9S

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This is pretty interesting.

Fire TV Stick, normally $40, marked down to $19 for Prime members the next two days.

lilputing posted:

The Fire TV Stick features 1GB of RAM and 8GB of storage, dual-band 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi support, Bluetooth 3.0, and a Broadcom Capri 28155 dual-core ARM COrtex-A9 processor.

The device comes with a free Fire TV remote that you can use to navigate apps, and you can also use a Fire TV Remote App on a phone or tablet running Android or Amazon Fire OS.

Like the more expensive Fire TV, the new Fire TV stick supports voice search… but the remote control that comes with the stick doesn’t have a mic. You’ll need to either opt for a $30 Fire TV Voice Remote or use the mobile app if you want to use voice search.

Amazon says the Fire TV Stick also supports over 200 games, and you can pair an Amazon Fire TV Game Controller or another third-party Bluetooth game controller with the stick.

Like Roku and Chromecast devices, you can also use the Fire TV Stick to mirror your phone or tablet display on the big screen.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KDKUD7LRUOMNNND

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 27, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gozinbulx posted:

Still haven't read anywhere any definitive confirmation that this is an actual standalone device or if its like a chromecast, which requires a second device to actually do the streaming.

If it's not like the chromecast (which I think its nearly useless), then they really should not be marketing it as such. If it's a standalone stick, its a pretty awesome price point (though a dual core stick in TYOL 2014 is shameless even by no-name chinese android stick standards).

With the pictures on Amazon showing the same interface as the Fire TV, I'm guessing standalone device with casting capabilities.

What I'm really curious about is if you could sideload XBMC on it. Getting a cheap XBMC box with all the big android apps for $39 would be pretty wild.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Falco posted:

Although if this is a standalone device, what would be the benefit of buying a Fire TV? In essence they accomplish the same task at a much lower pricepoint. I've been contemplating a Fire TV for the past couple of weeks, mainly for XBMC, but this has me intrigued.

More powerful hardware. USB port. Comes with the voice remote.

Super Dude posted:

I only have one account, which I am currently logged into. Do I have to go all the way through checkout?

On the final page before checkout, you should see the discount added to your total.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 27, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A CBS News app has been added and it has a free 24/7 news stream called CBSN. Pretty much exactly like the Sky News app.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P32X9P8

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Some news from aftvnews.com

- Fire TV Stick can be powered by the USB on your TV but it's possible that the USB on your TV won't be able too give it enough power.
- Fire TV Stick won't have FreeTime.
- Fire TV Stick will have Prime Music on launch and Fire TV will be getting in a new firmware update that's rumored to be launching in a couple days (51.1.4.1_user_514013920)
- Fire TV Stick will have a 'go to sleep' option in the settings for the people that don't want to wait the 30 minutes for it to automatically go to sleep. Will probably be add to Fire TV in the new firmware update.
- Fire TV Stick's remote will be compatible with the normal Fire TV and vice versa.

I'm still hoping I'll get an email telling me that my order's been moved up to the 20th from the 25th but I guess nobody's getting one on launch.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 18, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
First hands on article/video with it.

quote:

Amazon’s Fire TV stick starts shipping on November 19, and we got our hands on one today for an early look at what promises to be one of the hottest gift items this holiday season. At just $40, the Fire TV Stick undercuts the Roku Streaming Stick in price, but puts it to shame when it comes to hardware specs. Frankly, when the Fire TV Stick was first announced, we thought it sounded a little too good to be true, but we’re happy to report now that we were wrong about that. Check out the video below to see it in action.

Unlike the Roku Streaming Stick, which is a bit sluggish compared to its full-sized streaming set-top box brethren, the Amazon Fire TV stick is quick to respond to commands, and any differences in app/content loading times are so minute, we’ll need a stopwatch to chart them. Its interface is identical to the Fire TV Box, and its functionality is very similar, too. At this point, it seems the only real advantage to using an Amazon Fire TV box would be its Ethernet connection for faster HD video throughput, and its faster processor for smoother gaming.

We’ll be pitting the Fire TV Stick against the Fire TV box and, separately, the Roku Streaming Stick and Chromecast soon. We’ll also have our full review of the Fire TV Stick shortly, so visit back tomorrow for a more in-depth look at Amazon’s latest effort to garner your affection for its special brand of streaming movies, TV shows, games, and music.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hands-amazons-fire-tv-stick-slick-speedy-super-affordable/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon delivered. Not only did they ship my Fire TV Stick ahead of the delivery date they told me but they pushed the firmware update for Fire TV.

I'm not noticing anything beyond the sleep button in settings and Prime Music (oh and they broke lyrics mode somehow)

wandler20 posted:

My 2 sticks are scheduled to be delivered today. You guys know if anyone has XBMC working on it yet?

It should but I haven't heard any direct confirmation.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Oh hey, the new firmware update enabled autoplay with Amazon videos. Now when one episode ends, it automatically goes to the next one.

withak posted:

People are only just receiving them right now. Probably they need at least a few hours to figure out how to modify them.

Shouldn't be any reason to modify them if they're the same as the Fire TV.

Download the XBMC apk (ARM version)

Call Me Charlie posted:

Sideloading

The thing that really sets this apart from every other streaming box is the ability to sideload normal Android apps.

It's as simple as going Settings -> System -> Developer Options -> enable ADB Debugging, connecting ADB (tutorial) and installing the apk (tutorial)

Or you can use a program like Amazon FireTV Utility App v0.30 to do the dirty work.

Then you can use a method like this to add it to your front page.

quote:

- Install / side-load Llama.
- Install “Classic TV” app from Amazon app store.
- Launch Llama (From FireTV - Settings > Applications > Llama > Launch Application).
- Go to EVENTS on top menu and click '+' to add a NEW EVENT.
- In your NEW EVENT select ADD CONDITION then, from the Menu select 'Active Application' and select 'Choose App’. Scroll through the list of apps until you find “Classic TV” and select this app. Doing this should return you to the Events Menu.
- Next, select ADD ACTION and select 'Run Application' from the Menu list. From here, select whatever the name of your XBMC build is. That should create your event. At this point you can also name your event to distinguish it from others.
(Optional) - Select ADD ACTION and select 'Kill Application' from the Menu list. From here, select "Classic TV". This will close Classic TV after you open XBMC.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Updated the OP.

If I missed anything or you know of something that should be included, please tell me :)

------------

Amazon Fire TV Remote App has been added to Amazon and Google Play

quote:

The Fire TV Remote App is a free app for your Android Phone, that enhances the Fire TV Stick experience with simple navigation, a keyboard for easy text entry (no more hunting and pecking), plus voice search. Voice search is powered by the same voice search engine as Amazon Fire TV and is supported for the entirety of Amazon’s video, app, and game catalog, plus for Hulu Plus, Crackle, Vevo and Showtime Anytime. Note that voice search does not work directly inside individual applications, like Netflix, and the remote app is not available for tablets.

Features:
Voice Search
Simple Navigation
Playback Controls
Keyboard for simple text entry

Compatibility:
Works with Amazon Fire TV Stick
Support for Amazon Fire TV will be available 11/26
Designed for simple navigation and playback control
For game play use the remote included with your Fire TV stick or the optional Amazon Fire game controller
Compatible with phones running Android 4.0 and higher

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-TV-Remote/dp/B00ODIASKC
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.storm.lightning.client.aosp

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 19, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

tesilential posted:

Did they ever get around to releasing an app for screen mirroring? There have been a couple times I wanted to mirror my MacBook to the amazon fireTV and couldn't, instead resorting to plugging in my laptop to the tv. This is the only feature I miss when comparing to AppleTV or Chromecast.

They added Miracast support in a firmware update awhile back. You can access it by going Settings -> Display & Sounds -> Enable Display Mirroring

But it doesn't work with my Windows 8 tablet for some reason.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I got my Fire TV Stick in and I can confirm that you can sideload XBMC to it with no issue. Navigation of movies is definitely a bit more sluggish than my Fire TV, which is silky smooth, but there doesn't seem to be any issue with playback.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

wandler20 posted:

Excellent. Did you do it the same way as with the FireTV?

Yeah. Turned on ADB debugging in the settings and used that Utility App to sideload the apk. It's pretty much the same OS the big Fire TV is running.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

utonium posted:

I'm not an XBMC user, but I did pick up the free Amazon version of Plex a while back, and loaded it right away. The only issue so far is that the two highest available profile streams gave me problems when playing a 1080p movie. But my wireless router is upstairs and the stick downstairs, and my Plex server PC is a Core 2 Quad, so I can't say it's the stick's fault. The controls are responsive within the app, though.

Is your source PC plugged into ethernet? I found that to be the difference between smooth and choppy playback on giant files.

Another issue with Plex on Fire TV is that they don't include many video codecs with it so it has to transcode most of the files, when compared to the desktop version of Plex. If you can swap over to XBMC, I'd highly recommend it. I tried messing around with PleXBMC but I wasn't able to iron all the kinks out of it.

And if you do switch over, look into upnp. It's much simpler to set up and it will give you most of the features Plex has (besides remote play outside your local network)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 26, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WhyteRyce posted:

How does the remote work with apps that were designed for touch screen?

It doesn't.

The apps for the Fire TV are designed to work with the remote. Sideloaded apps, besides XBMC, usually need a mouse for full functionality.

Barry posted:

I'm sorry if this has been answered, but does anyone have a solution for using a mouse in apps that require it, specifically HBOGo?

I don't know if there's a solution for the Fire TV stick since there's no free USB port. Maybe you could connect a bluetooth mouse or use a controller like the Nyko PlayPad Pro that has a mouse mode. Only issue with the Nyko is you'll have to use the Nyko controller to move the mouse and the Fire TV remote to click.

kensei posted:

I just went and bought the FireTV Stick at Best Buy for $24.99, thanks for posting about it. Do I get a free month of Prime to try it out? What apps should I sideload onto it?

I think there's a 30 day trial for new members.

XBMC (+ add-ons) is a given. Everything else depends on what you have (cable, dish network hopper, games for emulators, etc)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

KKKLIP ART posted:

I need a lovely USB keyboard for some XBMC related things, can I plug any old lovely USB keyboard in to the USB port? Does it require a root to do so?

It should work. I haven't tried it but the Fire TV did recognize my Logitech Unifying dongle (and multiple devices like the solar keyboard, the wireless trackball and the K400 keyboard/touchpad hybrid) No root required.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 29, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I saw this in the thread over at slickdeals but anybody else getting a periodic buzz noise with the Fire TV Stick? Like playback studders and it makes a buzz noise for less than a second?

I'm having it happen across multiple apps (Amazon Music/Hulu Plus/XBMC) so I'm guessing it's some sort of hardware issue. Something like it's losing wifi connection or it's overheating. I tried moving it to a different HDMI port and it didn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

tesilential posted:

Ok I suck at XBMC and Android stuff in general.

How do I get a browser (any) on my firetv?

What browser are you trying to install?

You can get Firefox's apk from http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/33.1/android/en-US/

After that

Call Me Charlie posted:

Sideloading

The thing that really sets the Fire TV apart from every other streaming box is the ability to sideload normal Android apps.

It's as simple as going Settings -> System -> Developer Options -> enable ADB Debugging

There's a GUI called Amazon FireTV Utility App v0.30 that simplifies that process. Enter your IP address into the program after enabling ADB Debugging on your box and that's it. Now you can easily install APKs or push files to your box. Be careful with the more advanced features if you don't know what you're doing.

tesilential posted:

edit: Also how would I get UFC FightPass? I have a subscription and on the website it says compatible with Android devices, but no mention of Fire TV. I imagine I have to sideload the APK like I did with XBMC, but where would I find it? I'll admit I just followed a quick tutorial posted here the day I bought my Fire TV and have not played around with anything other than loading XBMC repos and Netflix.

Jadius posted:

You don't need any other android device to sideload. Use this to download whatever APK you need

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 1, 2014

• Locked thread