Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, I need that information for my calculations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

After the long wait, I hate to just-

Pass.

- but there you have it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Spending Hesitation.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanted to pull Cherry 1 space, yeah.

But only 1.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pass!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Let's Advance 3.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Leaving the Clone in Space 6 from the left; the space I just occupied before Dashing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pass. Let's see how this goes.
also the animated gif is cute, haha

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Whuuuups. Misinterpreted that, then.

The leftmost Arec is the real one; the rightmost is just a clone.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pass! Sorry. I'm all sorts of mixed up.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Arec will Advance 1.

Shocked I'm not trading hits, there!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The Holiday, and the aftermath thereof, but my turn should be in now!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pass!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Advancing two spaces.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Going to regain Hesitation, naturally.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Cherri will know Fear.

So I'm anteing it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Didn't you choose her?

Why? Why did you do that?

What have you done? :(

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Gutter Owl posted:

This doesn't mean that Arec doesn't have plenty of effects that Cherri finds annoying. Returning is Arec's trump against my bullshit.

Generally, though, I think this is one of the worst matchups I've seen. I'll gladly explain further after the match is over, but I'm holding my nose to finish this out. Really, I've been holding my nose since about Beat 2. I apologize for being really sluggish this match, but it's just been a big ball of frustration for me.

(It would have been nice to know about that ruling, too, but live and learn. Well. Probably more die and learn, at this rate.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Don't sweat it, either of you, I'm... mostly just trying to excuse my lateness, but it's not your fault.

Gonna wrap this up no matter what! :argh:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I... never noticed we went on to Beat 9 with no drama during the resolution. Sorry, I'll get my choice in soon.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

ActingPower posted:

...Oops. Wow, apparently I suck at everything. Sorry, you two!

Pretty sure that's my bad.

But my turn is in!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I have no idea how I'm managing to consistently make these gently caress-ups all game, but I don't need to prove it any further.

I'll concede.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The issue is basically that Cherri has styles that punish low priority and "funnel" a foe's attacks into predictable high priorities. Normally throwing curve balls against a Cherri would be an option for characters with Stun Guard or Soak who can afford to take risks with some safety net, but Arec just can't do that without around 50% chance of getting flat-out punished by a style even if he wins the base game with a low-priority move. And with Hex, most of his moves are low-priority enough for Cherri to punish. Only the fact he has priority bonuses and Returning helps at all, but that doesn't help him overcome. All it does is bring him on a more level playing field. The fact that Cherri's token stuffs Returning is probably the greatest insult to injury, though.

There is also, of course, the obvious issue that Arec is entirely based around predicting foes, and that's crippled by the clashes. Cherri has to just predict one level to gain advantage; Arec is stuck having to predict Cherri two to four levels deep to gain advantage with this tokens. I'm also not used to playing with Arec and would definitely do better a second time out, but I'm not sure I care for him too much. His tokens are potent but they're mainly good for pressing or gaining an advantage. If he's behind, though, it's going to take some really savvy play for him to catch up, which I clearly didn't have in me. Also there's fact that Cherri gets her token with comparative ease. She gets it whenever she's at a disadvantage; Arec has to maintain an advantage to regain his tokens. Which is very hard because: see above.

I didn't want to spill this all out mid-match for obvious reasons, but there's my matchup analysis I've been hanging onto, so there you have it.

• Locked thread