Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

TubeStank posted:

Washington's original name was Braves you dummy.

Edit: small correction. They were the Boston Braves first.

And they were renamed Redskins because they played in Fenway Park, home of the Red Sox.

But that doesnt change the fact that the New Orleans Hornet's renaming is a totally different case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009
The Washington Federales.

Honestly just call them the Potomacs and be done with it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

GaussianCopula posted:

And they were renamed Redskins because they played in Fenway Park, home of the Red Sox.

But that doesnt change the fact that the New Orleans Hornet's renaming is a totally different case.

Totally different in that you have a really inflated sense of Washington's football tradition or, really, any franchise's tradition short of the Lakers, Yankees, Packers, etc. The Redskins are not in that echelon. They're in a high tier echelon, but they're not one of the most successful franchises in sports.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

The "technicallity" was that the people brining the complaint did so after the trademark was in effect for quiete a long time and the courts ruled there is some kind of statue of limitations on filling complaints. Now they looked for younger indians that were underaged until very recently and hope to avoid this problem that way.

The issue was something called, laches, which isn't at all the same as a statute of limitations. A statute of limitations says "the situation has been around for X amount of time, it's unchangeable now." Laches says "you knew about it and didn't do anything about it for X years, you (and only you) are not allowed to challenge it."

The new plaintiffs turned 18 and filed immediately, so laches won't apply.

(And there's minimal law on this, but if the cancellation sticks on appeal, there's at least one case that suggests that unregistrable marks can't be enforced via the lanham act. And basically all states use a mini-lanham with an identical provision for canceling disparaging marks, so the state law analogues won't be usable either. Good luck enforcing your common law rights without going through either the Lanham or mini-Lanham statutory provisions, Snyder!)

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

GaussianCopula posted:

Wrong. They were renamed that solely because of the baseball team that had the name Braves and Marshall didn't want his lesser known team to be confused with the baseball team. Do you know ANY history of Washington's team?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Guys can't we all just get along?

:lol: gently caress you Snyder.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Probably Magic posted:

Totally different in that you have a really inflated sense of Washington's football tradition or, really, any franchise's tradition short of the Lakers, Yankees, Packers, etc. The Redskins are not in that echelon. They're in a high tier echelon, but they're not one of the most successful franchises in sports.

http://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/

redskins are #3
packers are # 12

To compare them to NBA and MLB teams is a bit complicated because the top tier teams there have better options with regards to TV deals (e.g. YES network for the yankees)

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

TubeStank posted:

Washington's original name was Braves you dummy.

Edit: small correction. They were the Boston Braves first then adopted current racist name then moved to DC.

so what just cause a guy's wrong with every point he makes doesn't mean he isn't totally right!

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Kull the Conqueror posted:

If Washington were a well-run organization, they would arrange an exchange program for at least a discount. Unfortunately, we're talking about Dan Snyder, penny-pinching mastermind.

The really depressing thing here is that when Snyder finally re-brands the team he will make a mint off of sales of the new merchandise. A significant portion of the first year of merchandise sales should go to some kind of Native American citizens, but of course that won't happen because Snyder is a douchebag like that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

GaussianCopula posted:

redskins are #3
packers are # 12

To compare them to NBA and MLB teams is a bit complicated because the top tier teams there have better options with regards to TV deals (e.g. YES network for the yankees)

Tradition != monetary value

And by success he meant on-field I'm pretty sure

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

redskins are #3
packers are # 12

That has a lot more to do with Green Bay's unique ownership structure than with the Redskins being a more valuable franchise.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Intruder posted:

Meh, all a big red title means is "I pissed someone off who has more money than sense" most of the time

You, of all people Fiz, should know that

Yea, but this time the title is right.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Redskins brand has very little to do with the word "Redskins". Really, the brand would be better without that word long term.

Think about that LIBERALS

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Chichevache posted:

Yea, but this time the title is right.

Admittedly the fact that he came into this thread with a "Heh, you liberals :smug:" attitude doesn't do him any favors

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The Washington Contractors is obviously the best name.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
Friends, I stand before you today because a great injustice has been perpetrated on my people. I come from a proud and noble tradition. George Marshall, Jack Kent Cooke. These are men who stood for what they believed in. And what they believed in was a world where a man would not be discriminated against just because he spent millions of dollars to enforce nationwide publicly-endorsed hate speech. Please friends, find it in your hearts to tell those drat feather-headed buffalo jockey savages to respect our culture.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The Washington Pox Blankets.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This whole situation is pretty ironic considering George P. Marshall was forced to integrate his team in the '60s by the government because he kept refusing to add a black player, and the government threatened to revoke their stadium lease if they didn't comply.

So of course Snyder follows in that hallowed tradition.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

shiksa posted:

I really hope this sticks, because otherwise it would've been Dan Snyder slowly, deliberately tearing off a band-aid for years on end.

I honestly don't care what the name is changed to, I just want to see the team I love getting disparaged for their lovely play and undeserved media attention, not the nickname.

Washington Wizards is still a bad name though, please don't do a public vote for this one, that's how you get stuck with the Washington Wizards.

Alliteration rules and so do wizards.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Washington Warthogs is alliterative. And the best idea so far.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I say we bring back the Washington Senators. Or, failing that, they could always go for the Washington Representatives or even the Washington Interns.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Washington Wizard-Kings

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Merchandise sales, except within the stadium itself, are distributed amongst the teams equally. Snyder isn't getting much richer off changing the name.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ozu posted:

Merchandise sales, except within the stadium itself, are distributed amongst the teams equally. Snyder isn't getting much richer off changing the name.

But if he changes it every season!

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Ozu posted:

Ah, right. I forgot about that. Snyder will still find a way to make money off the whole thing I'm sure. Something like raising ticket prices to help pay for the re-branding costs.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Just read through the whole thread, and it's pretty funny to see how the echo chamber slowly goes from "gently caress YEAH GO PROGRESSIVES GO GOVERNMENT" to "well I guess nothing's going to change".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wanvig posted:

Just read through the whole thread, and it's pretty funny to see how the echo chamber slowly goes from "gently caress YEAH GO PROGRESSIVES GO GOVERNMENT" to "well I guess nothing's going to change".

I am pretty sure that is mainly GC. Actually its completely GC.

Based off one post from reddit.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

shiksa posted:

so what just cause a guy's wrong with every point he makes doesn't mean he isn't totally right!

I really shouldn't be surprised that a random dude who hasn't posted in TFF much (if at all) has no knowledge of the franchise.

Wanvig posted:

But nobody really will know the impact of the ruling in the short term. During the appeal the trademark will still stand, so we probably won't be seeing any real impact for a few years. This particular case took 8 years to see a ruling. If it's upheld then I wouldn't be all that surprised to see the rest of the owners push for a change because it's going to cost them profits as well due to the revenue sharing (if it's still the name then). The name has been contentious for decades and will continue to be as long as it's around. It's going to change sooner rather than later.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
Washington Monuments

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think any change will be dramatic. They'll change to "Warriors" or "Red Warriors" or "Red Hawks". Something that will allow them to keep the feathers and colors in tact. I guess they could just drop the kins at the end and go as the Reds.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Congressman Steve King weighs in:

quote:

Steve King @SteveKingIA
Obama raids Redskins by weaponizing USPTO. Cancels Redskins logo! Free people will not tolerate a Kim Jong POTUS.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I wondered who the first "Thanks Obama" would be.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Niwrad posted:

I don't think any change will be dramatic. They'll change to "Warriors" or "Red Warriors" or "Red Hawks". Something that will allow them to keep the feathers and colors in tact. I guess they could just drop the kins at the end and go as the Reds.

no communiss in muh footbaw motherfucker

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

NC-17 posted:

I wondered who the first "Thanks Obama" would be.

We're not surprised here in Iowa

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gohuskies posted:

Congressman Steve King weighs in:

This reads like word salad.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It looks like he took a Freep comment and ran it through Google Translate.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
How about the Washington Scalpers.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TMMadman posted:

How about the Washington Scalpers.

Washington Expired Peanuts

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Washington Expired Peanuts

I've got it: The Washington Carvers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Legal goons, what do you think the basis for the appeal will be?

• Locked thread