Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tadders
Feb 13, 2008
35% Gender Confused

:siren: Use Drinkfist's refer code when signing up: E113C :siren:

Infinity Wars is a free-to-play online TCG by Lightmare Studios that features a robust strategic battlefield, beautifully animated cards, fully open trading, multiple game modes, and a staff that truly cares about the game. The game is now available on Steam, although the game is still in beta. It is also available on iOS and Android.

HELP, I SPENT 3000 DOLLARS IN THE LATEST F2P GAME AND CAN'T AFFORD TO PLAY THIS GAME

While many TCGs are considered 'pay to win', Lightmare Studios has taken steps to ensure that every player can start up with ease. First off, there is a campaign mode that serves as a tutorial to each of the factions in Infinity Wars. Defeating each campaign will reward you with a starter deck of that specific faction. There are also daily rewards and quests that reward "soulbound" cards. Finally, you earn Infinity Points with each game that you can use to purchase booster packs. Ultimately, you can get every card in the game without spending a single penny.

HEARTHSTONE IS FOR BABIES, WILL THIS GAME INVOKE COMPLEX DECISION-MAKING FROM MY BEAUTIFUL BRAIN

Infinity Wars revolves around outmaneuvering your opponent by thinking ahead. You don't just slap down a card and try to overpower your opponent, you have to actively move around your units and adapt to the situation. That being said, the game's fundamentals are very similar to other popular TCGs. You start with a hand of five cards and one resource. At the start of every turn you draw one card and gain an extra resource.

The battlefield is comprised of four zones: Commander, Support, Attack, and Defense. The Commander zone is comprised of three predetermined cards while the Support/Attack/Defence zones are built upon throughout the game. The goal of Infinity Wars is to reduce your opponent's Health or Morale to zero. This is achieved by having Characters in your Attack zone attack the enemy's Fortress (health) or the enemy's Characters (morale). The Support zone is where most Character cards start off; they enter the zone "exhausted" and can not be moved to Attack or Defense until your next turn. The Attack and Defense zone is where your Characters assault and defend health. When a character dies, morale tied to that character is lost. Most characters can move freely between Support, Attack, and Defense between turns. The Command zone houses the three Commanders you have chosen. Commanders can activate any special abilities at any time, and when you pay their price they can be moved directly to the Defense, Attack or Support Zones as if they had haste. Any Character card can be a Commander, but it is a generally a good idea to have atleast two with abilities that help out on the battlefield.

Once both players hit "End Turn", the turn is conducted simultaneously in this order:
  • Beginning of Turn Effects
  • Movement and Playing Characters
  • Ability Cards and Character Abilities
  • Combat
  • End of Turn Effects
The priority of resolving Abilities alternates between the two players (as dictated by the green border surrounding their avatar). This is important because it completely changes how a turn plays out. For example, Player A plays an Ability that destroys target enemy Character and Player B plays an Ability that gives that Character immunity to Abilities. However, Player A has turn priority. Player B's Character and immunity Ability both go to the graveyard.

The final mechanic is the Trading Post. It grants various services to players for a cost. They are as follows:
  • Mulligan - (Turn 1 Only) - Trade your entire hand for a different one, minus 1 card.
  • Cycle - Pay 3 Resources to shuffle one card from your hand into your deck, and draw a card.
  • Draw - Pay 5 Resources to draw a card.
  • Power-Up - Pay 9 Resources to increase your base Resources by 1. This is one of the few ways to increase your Resources above 10.

WHAT ABOUT THE CAAAAARDS

Some cards will be defined as "Unique Characters". You can only have one of these cards out on the field.

Abilities provide utility in some way. Unique abilities can only be used if a copy of that card does not exist in the graveyard.

Artifacts stay in your Support zone and change/add a rule to the game.

These will add an effect to the field that you generally pay some resource to reap some benefit. Only one can be active on each side.

VIGILANCE? IMMOLATE? I KNOW THESE WORDS BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN
  • Charge - moves directly from your hand to your assault zone.

• Consume - if a character kills another character, it gains +x/+x where x is the consume number.

• Flying - can only be blocked by characters which can block flying (must specify) and other characters with flying.

• Haste - can move directly from your hand to either the assault or defense zone.

• Immolate - characters who are immolated, take damage at the beginning of each turn. The effect is triggered by combat damage.

• Invincible - cannot take damage and cannot be killed by kill effects.

• Preemptive - happens before all other actions for the turn. This falls under the priority rule if two players both play preemptive abilities.

• Recruit - if a character is “recruited” it changes ownership. For example if you recruit one of your enemy’s characters, you now own and control it and can do with it as you see fit. When it dies it goes to your graveyard.

• Shield - while shield is on, cannot be killed by non-damage effects. Upon receiving a kill effect will turn the shield off until next turn which means it is vulnerable to being killed.

• Slow - attacks or defends once before becoming exhausted for the next turn.

• Two Lives - if a character would die, it loses its first life and stays alive in its current zone

• Unstoppable - if a character kills another, it can attack again unless killed.

• Untouchable - character cannot be the target of any player's spells, abilities or character effects.

• Vigilance - moves directly from your hand to your defense zone.

LIST OF IW GOONS
  • Tadders
  • Ezel112
  • Hortism
  • stanleypain
  • Jaceyourface
  • binpas
  • SA_Shanks
  • SeniorWarden
  • FYKC
  • turboraton
  • summerloud
  • Woodgrain
  • Meat_Magician

Tadders fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tadders
Feb 13, 2008
35% Gender Confused
I CAN'T DECIDE WHICH FACTION REFLECTS MY PERSONALITY

The Flame Dawn plays very aggressively from turn 1. If left unanswered the game could easily end in 4-5 turns. Has a lot of cards that buff all units in the Attack zone. Lots of utility abilities that disrupt the enemy's board.

Genesis Industries has access to a lot of small Characters that build up to mid-late game monsters. Has a mix of offensive and defensive Abilities which makes this a flexible faction.

The Warpath focuses on overpowering the enemy with sheer brute force. Very straightforward faction that blows through enemy Characters with its own Characters.

The Cult of Verore have access to a lot of board control Abilities. Most Characters build upon Ability usage or killing enemy Characters.

The defensive prowess of Descendants of the Dragon is unmatched. Generally wins through morale instead of health. If you like to make an impenetrable wall this is the faction for you.

The Sleepers of Avarrach focuses on manipulating the graveyard. Characters and Abilities tend to either help you abuse your graveyard, or help you take control of enemy characters by turning them Undead on your field.

The Exiles focuses on sacrificing your units to gain the advantage in some fashion. Exile Abilities are meant to interrupt the cadence of your opponent by forcing them to sacrifice or interrupting their attack and defense strategies.

The Overseers focuses on flying angels that usually have the option to Ascend. Ascending grants them a boon in some way. Also makes a lot of tokens.

I DON'T LIKE CONSTRUCTED, WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS

There is a campaign mode, a couple of challenges, and a draft mode called Rift Run. A Rift Run is similar to Hearthstone's arena; after paying a fee, you will start off by choosing your three commanders. These three commanders define the purity of your deck and therefor define which cards are possible to chose from for your deck to be “legal”. After you picked your commanders you go through 40 choices of 4 cards at a time to build your deck. Once you start your run, you have 3 lives and there's no win cap. You play as many games as you can until you have lost 3 times. After three losses, you get rewards based on how many wins you got. 4-5 wins will pay off your initial fee. The unique thing about a Rift Run is that you can purchase the deck you drafted. The deck becomes cheaper the more wins you have, capping out at 29 wins (which makes it free).

I LIKE TO SPEND MORE TIME BUILDING DECKS THAN ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME

Here are the general rules to building a legal deck:
  • Must have 3 Character commanders and atleast 40 cards.
  • Can not have more than 3 copies of a single card excluding commanders and Unlimited Characters.
  • Purity is determined by your Commanders and your deck must adhere to its purity.
  • Have a concept and stick with it (aggressive, control, swarm, etc).

I'M A BIG NERD AND I LIKE READING

New Player's Guide
Official Forums
Card Database

F.A.Q.

Q: I finished the campaign and want to start deck building! How do I get more cards? Go finish the Academy. You get a free booster every level and the Academy gives a lot of experience the first time you do them. Once you got yourself a few packs, play three merged games for an additional pack and win 25 PvP matches (any mode) for another. Use your IP wisely by researching what's in each pack/deck. Grab a friend and play master/apprentice games, you get a free 3 card pack for every 15 minutes you play each other.

Q: What is merged/pauper mode? Merged mode combines both players decks and you play the game out like normal. There is no purity limit on cards so you can pick your commanders accordingly. Pauper mode only allows uncommon and common cards in a deck.

Q: How do I know who goes first? Green border around avatar.

Q: Is the game pay-to-win? Of course it is, it's a TCG. Patience is key to being a F2P player.

Q: What are daily wins and when do they reset? You get a soulbound card/pack for logging in and three wins in any mode. They reset at 5 PM PST.

Q: I don't need my kidney, what can my cash do for me? If you want a lot of trade fodder you can buy Rise/Infestation/Ascension packs and hope for a good epic/legendary. I would recommend using third party websites such as this one to get single cards. Unlike most other games RMT is not frowned upon in Infinity Wars.

Q: What's the difference between combat zone, battlefield, and "in play". Combat Zone refers to Support and Attack zone while battlefield extends that to include the Support zone. "In play" or non-specified means the entire board, which includes Commanders.

Q: Mass Death is unfair and stupid and I hate this game! Too bad, move your characters to Support when Cult of Verore hits 6 Resources next time.

Q: Help, this game isn't as popular as other digital card games! It's okay, Drinkfist is here to spread the gospel and save the nerds who succumbed to the blizzard. Also, use his refer code when signing up for the game: E113C

Tadders fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 13, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

This seems fairly interesting, but apparently it's been around for a while and I never heard of it, so I worry about the state of the community. Are there plenty of people playing it?

Tadders
Feb 13, 2008
35% Gender Confused
The community seems very active so far, a bunch of people pitched in and helped me make a decent deck. Trading for rares was also very simple because trade chat is always booming. Matchmaking also takes 1-2 seconds.

Tadders fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 18, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man the campaign maps rapidly escalate into really challenging things, huh? I'm having a pretty decent amount of fun with this game so far, and I haven't even started playing PvP at all. For now, the final map for the Flame Dawn has me pretty stumped, so I'm trying some other factions.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Was playing this awhile ago before stopping. Not that it's a bad game or anything, it's actually quite tactically interesting and has a good deal of interesting cards.

The whole Star Trek expansion was just weird and goofy as gently caress. Might jump back on now there's a new expansion and more reasons to waste my money.

Adaptive
May 6, 2011
drat, thanks for the post. I would not have come across this game otherwise, and I'm having a blast with it. I'm loving how different the factions feel from one another, and the bluffing/counterbluffing that comes from the way the multiple combat zones works. I'm yet to see how the multiplayer goes, but the drafting system seems really interesting.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Spent like 10 hours playing the campaign and the game is pretty good, definitely a shitload better than Solforge. The red rush deck slightly modified is dominating the campaign so bad that I don't use it unless I am actually stuck.

It's a little weird some of the starter decks revolve around having 15-18 of the same card, but it's still pretty fun.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm really liking how different each deck feels. I've been using the starter deck for each faction in their own campaign missions and its amazing how different you have to think for each of them.

My favorite so far is the sci-fi dudes, just a lot of fun stapling a bunch of mechs together to make some ungodly mega abominamech.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Ah man, I'm trying to register an account through steam but it keeps giving me a message about being unable to delete children or something.

Tadders
Feb 13, 2008
35% Gender Confused

If anybody needs some commons I can give out a couple, add me as Tadders.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Huh, that worked. Thanks. Second fight in the tutorial is already kicking my rear end; so many cards!

Tadders
Feb 13, 2008
35% Gender Confused
I would like to collect some names to update the OP with. Maybe I'll start a steam group/IRC room if there's enough people.

Here's a list of cards that I want to trade off.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Tadders posted:

I would like to collect some names to update the OP with. Maybe I'll start a steam group/IRC room if there's enough people.

Here's a list of cards that I want to trade off.

You can add me to the list. Hoping to be more active in the game again, and probably have a fair bit of trades since I bought quite a few packs first time around.

Lightmare account same as SA account name.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm back to playing this. IGN stanleypain.

Spent 11k LP on boosters. Was able to create some fun Exile and Ascension decks. Kinda mad I missed the drat pre-order stuff by like 2 days.

Tadders
Feb 13, 2008
35% Gender Confused
They will be changing up their purchasable starter decks on the 25th to make them more appealing. I suggest saving IP for one of these starter decks as it includes 1x epic and 3x rares. You can see the full decklist here.

Tadders fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 20, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

This game is bizarre in how unpopular it is. Is everyone playing Hearthstone or something? It's just such a shame because I've been getting really into it, but I seem to always get matched against the same dozen-odd people. That's kinda fun in its own way as we tend to strategy and counter-strategy due to the small player pool, but I really wish more people were into it.

Also it doesn't help that currently Overseers are hella OP.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

You can add me to the list of dudes: Jaceyourface

Like the game so far, even though I only have starter stuff. Going through all the campaigns to unlock starters and things.

exser
Aug 18, 2003

Started trying this out last night and it's pretty neat. Add me to the list: binpas

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man the current "meta" of using Overseers for everything is really starting to be frustrating to me. I really enjoy playing this game with my friends, in which we constantly make gimmicky decks based on whatever rares we just got, but trying to play ranked is an exercise in fighting nothing but endless waves of Overseers, Verore and DoD.

Just a little annoying to fight the same thing over and over, I guess.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man the current "meta" of using Overseers for everything is really starting to be frustrating to me. I really enjoy playing this game with my friends, in which we constantly make gimmicky decks based on whatever rares we just got, but trying to play ranked is an exercise in fighting nothing but endless waves of Overseers, Verore and DoD.

Just a little annoying to fight the same thing over and over, I guess.

I haven't really noticed this. It's definitely a good deck to play in a similar vain to Veroe in that they both can deal with just about anything.

Add stanleypain if you want :shobon:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Preview of the upcoming big patch:

code:

Hey guys, here with a quick preview post for you all.

We will be launching a huge patch on Wednesday, and detailed patch notes to match. This is just a little taste of what’s to come.

- New login screen

- New homescreen

- New in-game UI

- New Warpatch campaign

- The deckbuilder has been totally revamped. [Yes, you can now choose which faction multi purity commanders represent.]

- Tons of card bugs have been stamped out. [Yes, Solace’s Gate is fixed]

- In-game bugs have been zapped [I’m looking at you, No Enemy Loaded]

- And a little something for my chaotic fans, an Exiles cardback!

These and loads more will be coming on Wednesday, August 6th. I will post the detailed patch notes then.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
In as SeniorWarden as well as a fellow non-posting goon friend.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Tried this at the recommendation of a friend, it's surprisingly fun.

Why the hell is it so unpopular though?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Umbreon posted:

Your guess is as good as mine. Not enough advertising? High competition in the online TCG market right now? Hearthstone existing?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Umbreon posted:

It's still in beta so the dev hasn't done much from a marketing perspective. There are still some fairly weak aspects of the game with respect to the UI and such.

For me it's hands down the best dTCG out there.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

It's still in beta so the dev hasn't done much from a marketing perspective. There are still some fairly weak aspects of the game with respect to the UI and such.

For me it's hands down the best dTCG out there.

Yeah, I like it way more than Hearthstone. All it needs is some actual combat animations and some more UI polish, and it'll be a real contender to HS no problem.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
How in the ever living gently caress are you supposed to beat the final Academy mission - the Genesis one? Guy starts with an unkillable 8/8 in his assault zone, and throws out a fortress the very first bloody turn.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Umbreon posted:

Yeah, I like it way more than Hearthstone. All it needs is some actual combat animations and some more UI polish, and it'll be a real contender to HS no problem.

Yeah, they really, REALLY need to get "UI Person" on their team. At least a quick contract to someone who specializes in UI design to clean it up. The new combat UI is pretty good, but the deck builder went from being bad to :psyduck:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

This is pretty fun so far, even if some of the missions are hard as balls.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
THis is pretty fun, a lot more options and variety when compared with some of the other TCG's out there, I imagine with a bit more spitshining it will do quite well...not to mention a friendly community (how did that happen?)

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
I'm having a lot of fun with this so far. I like the clean mechanics but also the fact that there's some really complex card interactions going on, which I missed from other digital card games. That and they really nailed the card art, the animation and art style is pretty glorious. I'm not a Magic player but I imagine that those that play it would kill for the same level of work on all of those cards!

The Mojang game was a good effort, but they sort of shot themselves in the foot with the level of polish they aimed for on their unit animations. It's smart that the IW devs just went all-in on the cards first of all.

Today I received a random legendary and two epic cards just for showing up and rolling through some of the Genesis campaign. I guess they're not anything special to veterans but I like the fact that there's a wow factor there.

The Sleepers were my favourites before this just for the slow gradual death ramp and graveyard fuckery, but splicing together huge things to make even huger things and then one-shotting the enemy fortress is pretty cool! :awesomelon:

edit: was looking to play pauper mode, is that only unlocked with ranked? Seems a bit odd, thought that would be best for newbies. Merged just seems like it would be messy.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 18, 2014

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

The Verore seem pretty neat.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
So given that this is available for PC and iOS/Android, can one have an account that is accessible via both mobile and PC? Or is it one account/device sort of thing?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

LuciferMorningstar posted:

So given that this is available for PC and iOS/Android, can one have an account that is accessible via both mobile and PC? Or is it one account/device sort of thing?

So far as I can tell, the mobile clients aren't out yet, which is a bummer.

AngrySquid
Apr 16, 2012

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Judging by the setup of the account system as it stands, and given that Hearthstone uses the one account across devices setup, presumably IW would have to be developing for the same.

My greatest concern is if the mobile client is going to want to always be connected to the internet, despite its simplicity, that's my core grievance with Hearhstone.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Pretty fun so far. The campaign is kind of neat, but I'm guessing that it does a terrible, terrible job of teaching you how to play well and instead teaches a bunch of bad skills that you have to use to get through some of the bullshit they throw at you.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
They seem to be changing/redoing the campaign missions with each update right now, anyway. The last update made some of them a lot harder and changed around all the cards. They became more like puzzles and less free in terms of how the player can play them. I guess it's good from a challenge perspective but retrying the new Genesis missions was like pulling teeth. Not a huge fan of puzzle setups in card games.

I'm stuck on Flame Dawn mission 4 I think because it's utter bullshit and requires some specific string of moves to beat. Glad I played Sleepers and Genesis before that faction, but it's nuts that it's that hard out of the gate.

I think they do a good job of teaching some faction playstyles and focus specifically on using several card abilities per mission, but beyond that, yeah, not a lot.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 22, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Harmonica posted:

I'm stuck on Flame Dawn mission 4 I think because it's utter bullshit and requires some specific string of moves to beat. Glad I played Sleepers and Genesis before that faction, but it's nuts that it's that hard out of the gate.

There's always been at least one mission per campaign that has, thus far, required you to perform a very specific strategy beginning immediately on turn one. Genesis definitely has that issue because there are several missions that involve spamming those little droids by having half on your bench and half in-play at any given time. I won such a mission with something like two health and one morale by only barely whittling down the other side's morale ahead of mine.

E: Add me to the OP list, if you want. SA_Shanks in-game.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I've started playing this a few days ago and I've only been doing the campaign so far but I'm having a lot of fun. Still nervous to try PVP since I'm still learning the different factions and trying to collect some cards. Warpath is pretty fun I think. My ingame name is FYKC

• Locked thread