Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gay people in the 50s had specific rights they needed recognized and particular forms of oppression which they could identify. There were legit gay rights movements well before Stonewall.

The people you're describing don't seem to want anything other than to describe themselves. Even people with weird paraphilias really only want to practice them with other people who share them. I'm not actually sure what this crowd is after at all, except maybe engaging in fantasy through the internet. Do we know anything about how they live? Furries at least convene conventions where they gently caress each other in mascot costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I am legitimately trying to understand subcultures that range from amusing to baffling. It's easy to poke fun at someone that identifies as a day-glo horse, but these are evidently real people asserting apparent claims. I agree with the claim of an unclear agenda. I don't really understand the endgame for the multiple systems and the like. Some seem to want greater representation, in truth, I can't name a work of media that prominently features a demiromantic nonbinary (I would add more qualifiers here, but I am trying to take this seriously and a common gag seems to be pile on these qualifiers) character.

I'm thinking there exists an alternate interpertation for Otherkin and their related "alternate consciouness", for lack of a better term, groups. It's less popular, I think because people want a scientific justification for their identity but a lot of these identities are more in line with spiritual beliefs. Furry and Otherkin aren't really orientations of body disphoria of any well understand form, but can be called cultures in their own right.

What's more interesting to me is the other side of the communities, especially the "fringe queer" side. This being the evangelical asexuals, panromantic demisexuals, communities that are very concerned with asking for pronouns and identifying themselves with options other than he or she (or xe.)

Aside: As an etymologist 'xe' drives me nuts. English doesn't have a non gendered pronoun, but the vernacular (at least where I live) used 'they' without even batting an eye about the question of plurality. Reappropriating or removing hate speech is great, but inventing new articles of speech strikes me as an extrordinary claim without an extrordinary proof.

I wonder how many of these people have heard of the Kinsey Scale? It has to be true that the vast majority of human beings do not fit completely within an absolute, binary scale, yet the vast majority of them make their peace with what they feel and do as they feel. There's nothing remarkable about the vast majority of these identity categories because they just name experiences that everyone has at one time or another. I have felt lust and I have felt deep emotional connections of multiple kinds, but who cares aside from me?

Speaking personally, it's hard not to feel some contempt for these people because they by and large live lives of white, middle-class comfort and risk literally nothing because there's no functional difference between a straight or bi person and a panromantic demisexual, yet they ape the posture and language of generations of LGBT people who gave up their actual lives to be recognized. I mean, if these people can document some actual oppression beyond an occasional instance of bullying (which isn't oppression at all), then I would be willing to listen to them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mukip posted:

I understand that transsexuals believe that they have a brain corresponding to the other gender and feel that they have no choice in that regard. This is considered a mental illness in most places; some doctors agree with the idea that their brains are switched up wrong. But they clearly aren't the other gender in anything but their own heads. In terms of their natural body chemicals & genitalia they are the gender they were born as.

Cite your sources and define your vocabulary.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

rudatron posted:

I honestly think the problem is rooted in psychological framing, where research focused on what people say about themselves, rather then about how they act or behave. The problem is that you ultimately cannot test what people say about themselves: what they really think and feel is stuck inside their own head. It's not simply a matter of conscious deceit, but they could simply lack perspective or even misinterpret their own experience (and draw false comparisons with other people, for example).

Then there's another possibility, one that I'm personally inclined to believe: what if identity as we know it isn't a result of a kind of secret internal code, that is progressively 'revealed', but an imposition form the outside? Constructed rather than intrinsic? The default assumption of identity politics is that identities are intrinsic in some way, but shouldn't the default assumption be that they aren't?

I think that real identity politics--that is, identity politics directed at civil rights issues in the historical, lived in, public world--is very much aware of identity as something imposed. Blackness arises out of the conviction on the part of white people that there is a category called blackness that defines who you are and what you can't do or be. In America there's this category "asian" populated by people who everywhere else in the world would be racist as gently caress toward each other, yet because of their context they understand that chinese and korean are equivalent identities here.

Maybe the best way to study the tumblr crowd would not be to think about their own categories, but how they behave toward them. What about looking at how teenage subcultures function to construct or define identity? Maybe these weird fuckos are more like skater punks or jocks or mods or something, embracing a really specific subculture in order to experiment with differentiating themselves from the culture and the family.

There's tons of scholarship about how kids use music, or science fiction, or sports to construct an identity--the whole point of it being that they want to participate in something that belongs to them and some smaller community. They get really into it because they're using it to experiment with being an individual. If a lot of these people are just kids, maybe that's a better model for what they're doing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

silence_kit posted:

I suspect a lot of posters in this thread who are bringing up the claim that MTF transsexuals are born with female brains, love to categorically deny in other threads that there are biological differences in the brains of men and women. This kind of stuff is all about whatever is ideologically convenient.

It pleases me to imagine that my enemies have no integrity and are secretly gigantic hypocrites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Blue Star posted:

What if there was a person claiming to be transgendered, and yet when you looked at their brain via MRI they ended up having a typical brain for their assigned-at-birth gender? So a guy saying he's a trans woman, but when you look at their brain it looks very much like an average male brain. Are they faking it, or what?

Is it necessary for transgenderism to be "backed up" by neuroscience for it to be valid?

It helps if it's backed up by things like the willing embrace of painful, humiliating medical intervention and acceptance of being made into a near-total pariah for life who must take medication forever.

Once furries start shelling out thousands to willingly transform their bodies to escape lifelong depression and anxiety, we can talk.

Posting on the internet sets a really low bar as far as commitment goes.

• Locked thread