Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Honestly, I think that the attempts made by posters in this thread to clearly demarcate the "valid" identities from the "invalid" identities are bogus and are just self-delusional attempts to give their own personal opinions about society a fake legitimacy. The decision of which identities are acceptable ones is totally arbitrary and depends on what social attitudes are with respect to the identities at the time. Maybe one day furries and people who believe that they have headmates will become socially acceptable too and thus will become "valid" identities.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Captain Oblivious posted:

Except people have already spoken at length about matters of medical fact which differentiate, say, transgender from furries.

I suspect a lot of posters in this thread who are bringing up the claim that MTF transsexuals are born with female brains, love to categorically deny in other threads that there are biological differences in the brains of men and women. This kind of stuff is all about whatever is ideologically convenient.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dazzling Addar posted:

So, now for the big question: what separates trans issues from people who want to be wolves, dragons, wolfdragons, and Benedict Cumberbatch? The big answer is actually kind of simple: the history just isn't there. While those who have felt like they would be better off as animals have doubtless existed for as long as human civilization has, they have never existed in as significant number and consistency as people on the trans spectrum. When these individuals do crop up, it is usually more appropriate to view their symptoms as a manifestation of a preexisting disorder. More importantly, People Who Want To Be Wolves has not emerged as a political group advocating for rights and recognition in any significant sense. If this were to happen, then I believe that a look into the medical and psychiatric history of similar symptoms would be in order. I am not intrinsically opposed to People Who Want To Be Wolves as long as that is what the best available treatment option is. Of course, given the logistical difficulties presented by Being A Wolf in comparison to a different gender, this does not strike me as particularly likely.

This is just a longer way of saying what I said earlier. The distinction between the "valid" and "invalid" identities is that the "valid" ones are popular and socially acceptable, and the "invalid" ones are not.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 22, 2014

• Locked thread