Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Spazzle posted:

Do most transsexuals have an improved overall quality of life? I thought that they are discriminated against and are often targets of lots of crime.
They exchange a condition of chronic internal dysphoria for occasional (and to varying degrees avoidable) encounters with intolerant people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
With regard to sex and gender "queer" identities, if LGBT status has been destigmatized in some communities to the point that people are making a fashion statement of it, I don't see how that can be anything other than a success and tribute (as long as they stay clear of bug chasing).

As for "kin" and the like, people dragging fantasy into their real lives is not a new thing (see: literary fandom in general), even if the language is. I see no reason to attribute it to depression or victim complex or anything else but what it's always been, escapism.

e: And just what is a "multiple system" anyway?

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 19, 2014

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Mukip posted:

A caterpillar "transitions" into a butterfly; it was one thing and then it changed state and became something else. A biological male who believes he should be a female can undergo gender reassignment surgery, but he's still a biological male except his genitals have been mutilated into the broad semblance of an orifice. He has not transitioned into a new state of being; he has only attempted to ape a semblance of it.
Even if all of that is true, it's still a clinically effective treatment for dysphoria in contemporary western societies. Let's not make this a Trans 101 thread, please? If you want to know the basics of trans people medicine, go read. You could start here, page 15.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 19, 2014

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Mukip posted:

all the arguements in favour of gender reassignment surgery appear to be emotional appeals.
This isn't a thread about reassignment surgery and you didn't read what I gave you to read.

• Locked thread