Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!
When I've dealt with "cultural appropriation," it has tended to be along the lines of white people stealing artwork from native people, then telling them that a bunch of white dudes know more about their culture than they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The stuff I'm talking about is when people say things like "learning a new language is cultural appropriation" or "watching movies made by non-white people is cultural appropriation" or "eating at a Chinese restaurant is cultural appropriation." There's sane examples of it, and they're not what I'm talking about.

So, they basically don't know anything about the concept but its name?

Eh, those of us who've actually been to grad school should team up with actual trans people to publicly laugh at the posers. They're already a laughingstock though, so I'm not sure what else can be done.

silence_kit posted:

This is just a longer way of saying what I said earlier. The distinction between the "valid" and "invalid" identities is that the "valid" ones are popular and socially acceptable, and the "invalid" ones are not.

You think trans people have "popular and socially acceptable" identities? You need a reality check there, buddy.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 22, 2014

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

No, they're using the concept as a way to push lefties towards radical right-wing ideas. I imagine they understand it just fine and are just being malicious.

Eh, if anything, it reminds me of right-wing Christians trying to apply the Laws of Thermodynamics to evolution.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

Blue Star posted:

Is it possible that someone can think that they're trans, but actually aren't? What if someone believes themselves to be trans, gets their brain looked at, and is told "Hmmmm. Your brain looks typical for your sex and birth gender." Does that mean that they cannot get HRT and/or SRS?

You think I'm trolling but I'm being dead loving serious. Does everyone need to be diagnosed with transgenderism before being able to transition?

The context for mentioning MRI results was establishing a scientific basis for gender dysphoria. There are similar results that tend to show up for ADD and other disorders. Why would we demand a more restrictive standard in this case? And why would we repeat an experiment every time we use the results?

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 22, 2014

• Locked thread