Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Bung Harmer posted:

SJWs care more about the name of a dumb sports team than the actual Native Americans who live conditions far worse than you could possibly imagine. Armchair Slacktivism at its finest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Bro Dad posted:

oh man i cant wait for this to be the only news story for the next few weeks :unsmigghh:

tbf this is pretty loving outrageous i mean even native americans (what, like 90% i think?) supported the name and thought there was nothing wrong with it

this is complete loving bullshit

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Manifest posted:

please continue being mad

nah another 2 or 3 minutes then i'll just move on, being mad or outraged all the time is a p bad way to go through life

(its also because of people like that the team name is changing too)

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
washington triggers

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Trixie Hardcore posted:

my biological father is half Native American irl but my stepdad does not consider me a "red woman" because I'm not pure blooded I guess.

Do you identify as such yourself?

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Ignoarints posted:

originally pretty insensitive lol yeah

except even then it wasn't insensitive but rather a tribute to the coach and many key players

quote:

The Washington Redskins were originally known as the Boston Braves. In 1933, co-owner George Preston Marshall changed the name to the Redskins, in recognition of the then–head coach William Henry "Lone Star" Dietz, who claimed to be part Sioux. On July 6, 1933, the Boston Herald reported that "the change was made to avoid confusion with the Braves baseball team and the team that is to be coached by an Indian (Dietz)... with several Indian players."

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Effectronica posted:

if only blacks had been able to play pro football in the 30s, we might have the atlanta niggers

those are totally the same why did i never think about it that way

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

FogHelmut posted:

this is really a positive move for conservative thought. the redskins are no longer shackled by government regulation through the patent office. the free market will provide them with the profits they need, as consumers will smartly only purchase official redskins products.

you're confusing conservatives with libertarians

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

FogHelmut posted:

i thought there was some kind of venn diagram that covered both groups

i mean is this a social issue or an economic one?

For conservatives, this is an issue of private rights and free speech
Libertarians are probably happy about this, but mad about how it happened

quote:

while conservatives feel "gently caress you i can call injuns what i want."

you're confusing racists and conservatives

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
yankees is clearly a slur used by both europeans and southerners, so clearly we need to get rid of that name as well

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

CAT BRUSH posted:

i'm sure the term brings up the same resentment and pain when a yankee hears it

I'm sure we can find 10% of northerners who don't like to be called yankees and get the ball rolling

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
don't tempt me, the idea of so many yankees fans losing their poo poo is definitely something i'm into

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
its possible for two words to both be slurs and yet have very different histories, weight and degrees of offensiveness idk whats so hard to understand :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Don Tacorleone posted:

Twee, I challenge you to Real Life Combat

dyel? i don't think so

• Locked thread