Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

I don't think he really intended to murder her, he was just letting out pent-up anger from months of torment (much of it directly caused by her). They're both better off if the other's alive and they know it.

Defiance Season 2: Is Datak gonna have to drown a bitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

First season Nolan was being played off of Datak/Stahma continually and he had a more clearly defined role within the series/town itself. Nolan as the single dad/protector of Irisa just isn't nearly as interesting especially since she's been given such better writing this season and has never actually been reliant on him in the father/daughter way they kind of tried to write it these last two episodes. I mean hell she made it out west to Los Angeles by herself just fine and seemed to be getting by if she could buy some sweet new daggers! :allears:

But yeah since he disappeared and just kinda showed back up in Defiance out of the blue, stepped on Tommy's toes by being forced back into his old job as Lawkeeper, it just feels like he hasn't been written to have a clear goal within the context of what's going on yet. He worked great as a foil to the local town drug baron/mafia boss by being that small town sheriff you'd expect to see in a western. With E-Rep taking over and providing Amanda with her own foil to a degree since she was replaced, he doesn't seem to quite fit into the same role. I'm expecting his writing to improve now that Datak's out and we also have Stahma obviously interested in a more direct role in the family business in the last episode. Hopefully anyway, the pieces are there, the writers just have to do something with it.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
This show knows how to handle its magitech. I'm still not interested in the details behind the Casty precursor ship but at least I'm entertained.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The high school joke was golden

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Datak is every cartoon villain rolled into one glorious scenery chewing hand job demanding skunk of a fun to hate jerk. I love it.

Also in the prison why was everyone rubbing chalk all over themselves? I wasn't sure if it was just dirt covering up the chalk or bad make up or something, but it looked way to apparent to be a mistake.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Could be a sunburn thing. Doesn't look like they have a ton of shade.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I was thinking maybe everyone was trying to fit in or something. Seems like they never explained it, but I only saw the literal white aliens in there and then humans with chalk on their faces. Wonder if that will just be a little back thing that never gets brought up again. I didn't learn much about the prison outside of hand jobs and that weird slatted fence communication system Datak loved shoving his face into.

This season is good so far, I'm a fan of the show but man alive, I checked out the contest website, https://www.defiantfew.com and it is absurdly bad. Like, high school fan made bad. The page itself won't quite fit on my 1080p monitor, even with full screen browsing. The movies are terrible, the drat static that shows this is a sketchy message being sent in secret goes off at EVERY SINGLE LINE BREAK in the dialog. And the game itself, man alive, you click on dudes who pop up and shoot them before their bullets shoot you. But the guys randomly spray bullets and randomly pop up. So one time a guy will shoot once and stand there, then shoot 50 times. The bullets also come out of their center, not anywhere near the gun they are pointing.

It's just mindbogglingly bad, I don't see how this helps the show in any way.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I love how this show is so unashamed of being sci-fi. The town stuff is all very Firefly, but then we have Irissa being possessed by DEMON NANOBOTS. It's glorious.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

johntfs fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 6, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AxeManiac posted:

Datak is every cartoon villain rolled into one glorious scenery chewing hand job demanding skunk of a fun to hate jerk. I love it.

I loved his prison meltdown in the recent episode, which shows how he's a pretty dumb, hot headed character overall.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

eriktown posted:

Also: Arguably, the 'villain' of Farscape actually won. He got his wormhole weapon, and the Scarrans were defeated. Scorpy got everything he wanted, and in the end it didn't cost him anything he wasn't more than prepared to pay.

I'm not sure I would say that. He got to see his wormhole weapon wreck the Scarrans, yeah. Once. IIRC even he was freaking the gently caress out near the end though, and nobody but Crichton could run the thing (which is probably a good idea for a universe-destroying 'weapon').

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I liked the way the show used rear nudity in this episode. Instead of some silly butt-naked shower scene, they have Datak looking like some primordial Casti barbarian coming to sack Stahma's Rome.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

johntfs posted:

Jul 5, 2014 14:40
I liked the way the show used rear nudity in this episode. Instead of some silly butt-naked shower scene, they have Datak looking like some primordial Casti barbarian coming to sack Stahma's Rome.

johntfs posted:

Jul 5, 2014 04:41

That is one hell of a delayed double post.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

One thing I was thinking about today was that it might be really cool to have some flashbacks to before the war. It may be a bit beyond the scope of the show's budget, but it would be neat. One thing that doesn't really get emphasized enough unless you read the EU stuff is that there was a what, 20-25 year period post Contact and before the Pale Wars/Arkfall where you had humans and Votans integrating and their cultures mixing? A fully functional, near future world with intact national governments, media, corporations, and international pop culture all with aliens from seven races thrown in the mix. It might give us more of an insight into the culture that we see here. It's influenced by a lot more then just the rearranging of the ecology and the wars.

Nolan mentions remembering GPS and drones, he was probably born around the turn of the century and might have remembered a few years of his childhood where there were no aliens. Guys like Rafe would have been born even before that, and were young adults when it all went down...not just the war, but the contact and the cultural changes after that. I'd like to see that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ded posted:

That is one hell of a delayed double post.

Radium!!! :argh:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Astroman posted:

Nolan mentions remembering GPS and drones, he was probably born around the turn of the century and might have remembered a few years of his childhood where there were no aliens. Guys like Rafe would have been born even before that, and were young adults when it all went down...not just the war, but the contact and the cultural changes after that. I'd like to see that.

Don't forget, Amanda was old enough to remember which actor was the vampire in Twilight.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i thought that was genetic, like mothering, or knowing where everything is all the time.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Astroman posted:

One thing I was thinking about today was that it might be really cool to have some flashbacks to before the war. It may be a bit beyond the scope of the show's budget, but it would be neat. One thing that doesn't really get emphasized enough unless you read the EU stuff is that there was a what, 20-25 year period post Contact and before the Pale Wars/Arkfall where you had humans and Votans integrating and their cultures mixing? A fully functional, near future world with intact national governments, media, corporations, and international pop culture all with aliens from seven races thrown in the mix. It might give us more of an insight into the culture that we see here. It's influenced by a lot more then just the rearranging of the ecology and the wars.

Got any EU links that are official and not like fan fiction? The show is doing a bad job of explaining the situation of the world and how things got that way for me. I'd love to know more about the races and events leading up to the start of season 1. I'm not sure the show ever plans on covering that stuff however, I don't see them fitting in a lot of "this stuff happened" catch up unless they go full tilt and actually time travel.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

AxeManiac posted:

Got any EU links that are official and not like fan fiction? The show is doing a bad job of explaining the situation of the world and how things got that way for me. I'd love to know more about the races and events leading up to the start of season 1. I'm not sure the show ever plans on covering that stuff however, I don't see them fitting in a lot of "this stuff happened" catch up unless they go full tilt and actually time travel.

Yeah, they seemed very committed to doing a "here's a crazy world, we're throwing you in the middle with no exposition" story, but it makes things confusing. It's the same thing they're doing on Dominion. You get this new, fully realized world which is very near to ours (unlike say Star Trek) with dribs and drabs coming in as to how we got there.

http://www.defiance.com/en/series/world-of-2047/invasion-timeline is the official source. Upon re-reading it, I see there was only 10 years between the arrival of the Votans and the start of the Pale Wars. Though 10 years is a long time for a lot of cultural assimilation to occur. Nolan was 10 years old when that happened (it happened in 2013 in universe, so right around now they'd have been dealing with this for a year). Interestingly as well, there were also about 6 years of the Pale Wars on "normal" Earth, before Arkfall and the terraforming.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

AxeManiac posted:

I really want them to explore the absolutely balls-crazy stuff that's going on in Europe. According to the website
->France is a frozen tundra
->Germany has fragmented into warring city-states
->England has gone full-on fascist (seriously, why does this always happen?)
->Scotland is trapped behind a forcefield

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I really want them to explore the absolutely balls-crazy stuff that's going on in Europe. According to the website
->France is a frozen tundra
->Germany has fragmented into warring city-states
->England has gone full-on fascist (seriously, why does this always happen?)

hahaha, poor France (not srs)

How did Australia fare? (please be New Mecca)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Having double checked the website, it's even better.

Germany is warring states in a tropical jungle filled with loving Triffids.

And the French are waging continual war against a crashed AI and its army of scavenger-robots.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Well if they vote to leave the UK this year, then that's gonna happen.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I love how this show is so unashamed of being sci-fi. The town stuff is all very Firefly, but then we have Irissa being possessed by DEMON NANOBOTS. It's glorious.

Is she possessed, or has she been replaced? And do the people she's killed come back as other DEMON NANOBOTS or pod people or some other sort of zombie replacement simulacrum forming a hidden army of whatever they are.

johntfs posted:

The ending was pretty awesome, but top honors for me goes to the demon child singing while Irisa is healing from shooting herself in the brain with a sniper rifle.

Yeah that was a great and creepy scene.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Under The MacDome ?
Sorry :scotland:

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 6, 2014

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Binary Logic posted:

Under The MacDome ?
Sorry :scotland:

Now I want to see a version of Under the Dome where all the characters have thick Scottish accents. I'm wondering if it would suck less than the original.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Okay, so the timeline helps a bit, but I'm still not sure why Datak and his wife talk about leaving Casti and bringing three items with them on the ark. If that happened 3000 years ago (BCE is before current events right?) then their timelines don't make sense, until Casti live for thousands of years or the Arks didn't take 3000 years to reach earth.

Also I had no idea about the glowing balls of energy being a race. drat, this show has a lot of backstory, I hope they bring some of it out before it all gets canceled and tossed away.

Also :lol:
"Due to a series of nuclear meltdowns and biological mutations brought on by Arkfall, the State of Florida is declared a quarantine zone."

And I found this, didn't know about this: http://www.defiance.com/en/series/video/2764291

It bridges the gap between season 1 and the start of 2, some web episodes.

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 6, 2014

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Weren't most of the aliens in cryostasis or something throughout the journey? It seems like back in S1 when Nolan and Irisa were stealing that artifact off of a crashed ship, there were still aliens in statis, although they'd die due to various system failures. I'd assume the conflict were starting to see unfold in Irisa's flashbacks or visions is what led to the Votans being woken up in Earth's orbit and eventually led to the Pale Wars.

Dunno about the Kaziri under Defiance/St. Louis, maybe it was an advanced scout or something? Doesn't seem too improbable that the ships may have been spread out some distance from one another or even simply sent out in different directions to improve their chance of finding a livable planet.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I vaguely recall it being oh gently caress it I have google.

quote:

The Votans spent approximately 5,000 years in Hypersleep aboard the Arks, journeying across space until they reached Earth on April 14th, 2013. When they arrived they were shocked to learn that Earth was inhabited. A rogue element created undercover spies in order to infiltrate Earth and gather intelligence, however the project failed and they instead chose to make contact. The Votans choose an ambassador, Onulu Toruku, to represent them and he acted as their voice when they were admitted into the United Nations General Assembly. In 2015, the Votans were given a large plot of land in Brazil to colonize but this led to mass protests from Humans who were unsure of the Votans intentions. By 2022 a settlement agreement was being finalized for the Votans, however a Votan diplomat is killed on live television, and the Pale Wars begin.

Not quite relevant but heh. Sounds like stuff got messy for a while. Also, the writers really like Canada.

quote:

A group of Gulanee soldiers aligned with a group of Biomen and took over the city of Vancouver, delaring the territory of British Columbia as their own.

quote:

Indogene scientists discovered a crashed Ark near the ruins of Edmonton and set up an energy barrier around it, in order to make a study of it in private.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 6, 2014

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Weren't most of the aliens in cryostasis or something throughout the journey? It seems like back in S1 when Nolan and Irisa were stealing that artifact off of a crashed ship, there were still aliens in statis, although they'd die due to various system failures. I'd assume the conflict were starting to see unfold in Irisa's flashbacks or visions is what led to the Votans being woken up in Earth's orbit and eventually led to the Pale Wars.

Dunno about the Kaziri under Defiance/St. Louis, maybe it was an advanced scout or something? Doesn't seem too improbable that the ships may have been spread out some distance from one another or even simply sent out in different directions to improve their chance of finding a livable planet.

Irisa's flashback seem to occur about 3000 years ago and appear to be telling the backstory of the buried ship. The Kaziri wasn't so much a scout as a terraformer. It was supposed to seed Earth with Votan life and ready the way for the rest of the Votans to arrive after another 3000 years. However, the Kaziri's crew discovered intelligent life (humans) and some of them don't want to destroy that life for the sake of the rest of the Votans, preferring the idea of co-existing with the native life instead.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Oh, that might explain more why they couldn't bring much stuff, anything they had would have been in statis too or it probably would have fell apart or whatever.

So the Voltan collective decided to sweep up any aliens in the area and travel to Earth, making deals with some, but I don't see why they brought the Iraths and in the greatest numbers. Nothing on the page says they held any power or reason over the collective to transport so many of them and they all seem kind of like they don't care much for spaceships and lasers and all that, so I doubt they made the technology. Did they ever say why the indogenes would bother with them, but then also it looks like in the flashbacks they scouted out earth and kind of messed up.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Hopefully Dominion gets cancelled in a few episodes because it is AWFUL and they can go back to funding Defiance.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
This was the first episode that i really liked of the show, it felt like it was jumping head first into sci fi territory and I loved it. Stargate Universe did something similar in Stargate Universe, I think it was even episode 3 of second season.

I hope they can continue on an upswing, and draw in viewers. Not very optimistic though, especially when poo poo like Under the Dome actually increases its viewership from season 1. How did that even happen :(

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

AxeManiac posted:

Okay, so the timeline helps a bit, but I'm still not sure why Datak and his wife talk about leaving Casti and bringing three items with them on the ark. If that happened 3000 years ago (BCE is before current events right?) then their timelines don't make sense, until Casti live for thousands of years or the Arks didn't take 3000 years to reach earth.

BCE is "before common era", same as BC but with less Christian dogma.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

XboxPants posted:

BCE is "before common era", same as BC but with less Christian dogma.

Ahh, okay, so that was 5,000 years ago instead of 3,000. That was mixing me up too.

This is a fun show and I enjoy it, but yeah, I feel not enough people watch it to keep it going longer and they seem to sink a lot of money into go nowhere things like their advertising and that game that blew up. I think they are banking too much on people "researching" the back story to make sense of it when people just want to watch stuff. I'm pulling for it however, Datak is amazing, Nolan is awesome, the show pokes enough fun at itself, I just hope it has time and budget to keep growing and they get a new marketing team.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

AxeManiac posted:

Ahh, okay, so that was 5,000 years ago instead of 3,000. That was mixing me up too.

This is a fun show and I enjoy it, but yeah, I feel not enough people watch it to keep it going longer and they seem to sink a lot of money into go nowhere things like their advertising and that game that blew up. I think they are banking too much on people "researching" the back story to make sense of it when people just want to watch stuff. I'm pulling for it however, Datak is amazing, Nolan is awesome, the show pokes enough fun at itself, I just hope it has time and budget to keep growing and they get a new marketing team.

I think their philosophy about how the backstory/history of the world is presented and revealed is a result of the show being tied into a mmo videogame and they probably originally planned for a lot of this stuff to be accessed by people playing the game.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

savinhill posted:

I think their philosophy about how the backstory/history of the world is presented and revealed is a result of the show being tied into a mmo videogame and they probably originally planned for a lot of this stuff to be accessed by people playing the game.

I'm glad they're doing it the way that they're doing it. Dropping assloads of exposition into a show is difficult/jarring enough even when they have an audience-surrogate/stupid-newbie character. It's worse when they don't.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Episode Four: "Beasts of Burden"

Synopsis: A badly shaken Pottinger orders Nolan to destroy those responsible for the attack on his caravan.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

johntfs posted:

I'm glad they're doing it the way that they're doing it. Dropping assloads of exposition into a show is difficult/jarring enough even when they have an audience-surrogate/stupid-newbie character. It's worse when they don't.

Sci-fi is brutally hard to write because of the need for exposition, especially when you're not going to have a big stretch of time to wipe out all those things that are sort of like real-life but sort of not, giving yourself the same kind of clean-slate fantasy has. I like the idea of exposition being dropped in the video game, letting keeners harvest it and post it on wikis for the rest of us, but suspect the game is tanking hardcore and not going to last.

There was a point where I'd have installed it for the gently caress of it but it was a full-priced $60 game at the time and no. It's free now but my gaming time is all locked down with more important titles like Typing of the Dead. Is anyone here playing it at all? Like, could you fly out to neo-Vancouver or Edmonton and get back-story for the hell of back-story? Or is it all about bringing back 10 dickwolf pelts for roller-fuel?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The game was tanking during the first season, I'm amazed it's still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

gently caress it. I have a new laptop, a few hours, and a mug of coffee the size of my head. I'm going in.

• Locked thread