Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Combat Pretzel posted:

Right, that. Did ever come something from this? I don't remember anyone being up in arms towards Nolan for causing the current environment.

There are probably people plenty pissed at them in SF but Defiance was literally founded on his team's heroic reputation so they give him a pass on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I thought it was kind of funny that the Earth Republic can't be bothered to armor their official and super-conspicuous vehicles. And that Nolan made a big deal out of the shooters being too accurate for sandpeople raiders, because I guess miners are better shots than the guys roaming around ambushing people for a living?

Despite all that, this season keeps surprising me with how great the plots are.

That actually might be a back story thing. The raiders are a bit different in Defiance. They're not clever highway men, they worship a energy alien being who is basically a Libertarian and takes from the weak.

So they're bad shots. They're closer to the insane tribalists than actual raiders.

As for Noland and what he did, that's all a secret. In the game it gets brought up and doesn't leave the room, because if people knew what actually happened at Ft. Defiance in San Fran things would boil up into another pale war. Not that the world isn't heading for another one anyways.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

spronk posted:

What I find most surprising is how different the game world is than the TV world. In the game world the Von Bach name is thrown at you constantly, I think I saw the first time the VB logo on that mysterious suitcase Mr. Mayor was pining for.

Also in the game you can't walk more than 2 feet without having zombies or hell bugs swarm you. Here, people wander off no problem, we did see a hell bug show up once so far but mostly things seem pretty normal. Are raiders the same thing as the mutant things in the game? Raiders seem pretty humanoid to me, whereas the game mutants have a much more fallout/apoc vibe.

Neither is a big deal and I know the show is around St. Louis while the game is (still?) around bay area, but it does make me sad that they promised pretty tight integration between the two but so far really they might as well be set in different universes. Plus it doesn't help that the game really, really, really sucks.
Lessee, I think it's established that the entire Earth is vastly different. Weren't there reports of large jungles in Germany, a city stuck in a dome somewhere in England, and all sorts of nasty stuff happening in Brazil? The two areas are pretty separate from each other(I think there's even supposedly some sort of area inbetween that makes travelling between the two locations very difficult), and as mentioned before, the terraforming that took place there really hosed up the area. It's really a wasteland, far more apocalyptic than the frontier feeling you get in St. Louis.

The mutants and raiders are two different factions in the game. I instantly recognized the raiders as the same raiders in the game, they generally wear the same kooky outfit. It was a nice surprise. Similar to the Von Bach mention in the show, although I do think that the camera lingered a bit too long on it, possibly. I'm not sure what that tag says for people who have no knowledge of the game whatsoever. Makes me wonder if they're thinking that they forgot about something that happened earlier in the show.

Me, I have to admit that I like the game. It's an excellent game to quickly pick up, play for 20-30 minutes, then log out again, and I'm a big fan of it being one big coop game. I also genuinely enjoy the idea of having an area in the franchise that just belongs to the game players with its own storyline and characters, instead of everything needing to be innerconnected. I do like the occasional crossover, mind you. The Episode missions they released just before season 2 were a nice way to prepare for the return of the TV Show. Perhaps if the scales start ramping up in the TV Show(a VC/ER war breaking out?), I'd want to see that reflected in both the game and the show, but for now, let each be their own thing, set in the same universe.

I also actually like that the players got to have so much more interaction with the E-Rep in the game, just before the TV Show really brought them into town for season 2. For me, it's actually a good example that surely not everyone in there is an evil soldier. The E-Rep in the game generally seem to be just doing their job, and you actively work with them to counter numerous threats. In the show, they might seem evil because of they've taken over the town, but I do realize that there's more to them than meets the eye, and that's in part because of the game.

I'll just echo the rest of the sentiments of the show being really good and something I enjoy to tune in each week to watch. Not sure what's going to happen with the game, but I really want the TV show to continue for at least a few seasons. It's really nice to have a sci-fi series again.

Baron von der Loon fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 12, 2014

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

etalian posted:

Datak becomes a country western music fan in the next episode.

Datak kicking some rear end to a Johnny Cash tune would be quite a thing to see. Or ending up in prison again to Folsom Prison Blues.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

There are probably people plenty pissed at them in SF but Defiance was literally founded on his team's heroic reputation so they give him a pass on that.

He's also been called a war criminal.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The new season is pretty drat good since similar to DS9 technobabble is never the focus of the show compared to interesting drama and emotional conflicts.

For example the tug of war between Datak's obsession with traditional values vs. his other family members who are trying to be adaptable to life in a new world.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

johntfs posted:

He's also been called a war criminal.

It seems the crowds(mobs) in Defiance are easily and often swayed, so one day he is "That evil scum that shot a kid pointing and shooting a gun like object at the mayor" and the next he is "That cool guy who saved us this completely evil tyrannical woman who keeps us all under her boots"

null_user01013 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 13, 2014

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

AxeManiac posted:

It seems the crowds(mobs) in Defiance are easily and often swayed, so one day he is "That evil scum that shot a kid pointing and shooting a gun like object at the mayor" and the next he is "That cool guy who saved us from this completely evil tyrannical woman who keeps us all under her boots"

Well, actually, he saved the "completely evil tyrannical woman who keeps us all under her boots" and the crowd seemed extremely happy that this occurred. Presumably the velvet glove that Stahma wears over her iron fist is really really soft and fluffy.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

johntfs posted:

Well, actually, he saved the "completely evil tyrannical woman who keeps us all under her boots" and the crowd seemed extremely happy that this occurred. Presumably the velvet glove that Stahma wears over her iron fist is really really soft and fluffy.

They're just hypnotized by her snakelike grace.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

johntfs posted:

Whoops, yeah, that is what I mean. They cheer him on when he saved what is most likely their most dangerous slum lord leader. I can see why they would like her, mainly out of fear and respect, but it is just funny how the crowd turned like that. I didn't think anyone would give Nolan poo poo over plugging that kid outside of the election debates, he literally saved the entire town from the Volm.

I'm not clear on those dudes, was that just a one time army, do they sit around waiting? Are there more? That force attacking Defiance in the first season looked incredibly dangerous.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

johntfs posted:

To be fair if you go from mildly competent and insanely emotional gang boss to very competent and insanely composed gang boss you stop and thank your lucky stars every single day of your life. You live in a frontier town in a world that got blown the gently caress up, crime is going to happen. What you want is organized crime. Stahma is nothing if not organized.

AxeManiac posted:

I'm not clear on those dudes, was that just a one time army, do they sit around waiting? Are there more? That force attacking Defiance in the first season looked incredibly dangerous.

The Volge are massive assholes that nobody likes, or has every liked, and nobody knows who snuck them on the Arks in the first place. They aren't even really *from* the Votan system like the others, they just showed up one day and started kicking rear end. All they do is try to stomp dudes and take over. After the war on Earth ended, they went underground and have been hiding out.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 13, 2014

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Boogaleeboo posted:

The Volge are massive assholes that nobody likes, or has every liked, and nobody knows who snuck them on the Arks in the first place. They aren't even really *from* the Votan system like the others, they just showed up one day and started kicking rear end. All they do is try to stomp dudes and take over. After the war on Earth ended, they went underground and have been hiding out.

It's probably the ball of light guys loving with people huh? Who knows what is going on, but they just seemed like one time boogy men to round everyone in Defiance together. I'm guessing in Star Trek terms they are borg, hope we don't get nice ones floating around in later seasons.

Stahma does seem like the better choice than Datak, but she is cruel, where Datak is just angry and short sighted. He's the buffoon waving a plastic knife around, she is the person making him want to do it. It's a great dynamic and I'm glad to see them split them up and interested to see where this goes.

Also I like the cranky doctor, she might be doing some interesting stuff aside from sneaking around parts for people and playing Minority Report with alien interfaces.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Stahma's ruthless, but I don't think she's cruel. She won't flinch from causing pain, fear or death if she thinks it's necessary, but she doesn't go out of her way to do so either.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

johntfs posted:

Stahma's ruthless, but I don't think she's cruel. She won't flinch from causing pain, fear or death if she thinks it's necessary, but she doesn't go out of her way to do so either.

She prefers the bread approach to solving problems while Datak prefers the bullet approach.

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 14, 2014

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

That actually might be a back story thing. The raiders are a bit different in Defiance. They're not clever highway men, they worship a energy alien being who is basically a Libertarian and takes from the weak.

So they're bad shots. They're closer to the insane tribalists than actual raiders.

I don't feel like finding that particular scene again so I might be wrong, but wasn't Nolan more talking about the fact that the bodies weren't just riddled with bullets? It didn't sound like he was literally saying "these blast points are too accurate for sand people" so much as "raiders would have just lit this convoy the gently caress up instead of just shooting the guards until they're dead."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

AxeManiac posted:

Whoops, yeah, that is what I mean. They cheer him on when he saved what is most likely their most dangerous slum lord leader. I can see why they would like her, mainly out of fear and respect, but it is just funny how the crowd turned like that. I didn't think anyone would give Nolan poo poo over plugging that kid outside of the election debates, he literally saved the entire town from the Volm.

Don't you mean the Espheni? :v:

My bet on Datak's next move is he gives up trying to retake his criminal empire and goes full Boyd Crowder. Becomes a spiritual leader. Datak gon' testify to the Casti Lord! Hallelujah!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Astroman posted:

My bet on Datak's next move is he gives up trying to retake his criminal empire and goes full Boyd Crowder. Becomes a spiritual leader. Datak gon' testify to the Casti Lord! Hallelujah!

So what you are saying is, he is getting everyone out of prison who will then be slaughtered by e-rep? Sweet!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Astroman posted:

Volge, Volm, Volkswagen, the reptile aliens in the show V, that's a lot to keep straight.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I've wondered, have they ever done a behind the scenes thing to explain how they do the Castithan makeup? It seems like it would be quite the hassle, especially for how often they do the bath scenes.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Astroman posted:

"We dug gulanite together..."

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

muscles like this? posted:

Something I've wondered, have they ever done a behind the scenes thing to explain how they do the Castithan makeup? It seems like it would be quite the hassle, especially for how often they do the bath scenes.

Shitload of talcum powder?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Probably more like water-resistant make-up.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

muscles like this? posted:

I'm sure it's not the hassle for Jaime Murray's makeup artist :pervert:

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Didn't the reveal that Amanda was raped feel like a retcon? Before she was a career woman, now she's a victim who bore the stigma of aborting what people thought was the offspring of a healthy relationship because the knowledge of being sexually assaulted would have harmed her and her partner. This seems like a quick way to justify getting rid of that season 1 erep character.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Having an abortion, sure. That's fine. Not having any discussion about it with what is clearly a good guy you are in love with? That actually did feel a bit out of place. I mean you hear he is E-Rep and you think "There is really no chance of him not being a total rear end in a top hat, isn't there?". Then, nope....turns out he isn't a total rear end in a top hat. He's a generally good guy who was obviously totally in love with her and just kind of sad she [In his eyes] gave up on them making a family with no explanation. It felt like a story waiting for another beat which wasn't going to come because her ex got domed by Datak. Turns out the reason she never told him is it wasn't his kid and she didn't want him to know she was raped.

Feels natural enough and fitting with what we know of the characters involved.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Boogaleeboo posted:

Having an abortion, sure. That's fine. Not having any discussion about it with what is clearly a good guy you are in love with? That actually did feel a bit out of place. I mean you hear he is E-Rep and you think "There is really no chance of him not being a total rear end in a top hat, isn't there?". Then, nope....turns out he isn't a total rear end in a top hat. He's a generally good guy who was obviously totally in love with her and just kind of sad she [In his eyes] gave up on them making a family with no explanation. It felt like a story waiting for another beat which wasn't going to come because her ex got domed by Datak. Turns out the reason she never told him is it wasn't his kid and she didn't want him to know she was raped.

Feels natural enough and fitting with what we know of the characters involved.

I don't remember him being killed.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Sithsaber posted:

I don't remember him being killed.

He got shot in the head by Datak in that plague episode last year.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Because what he saw didn't fit Datak's narrative.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I forgot that Datak had killed Amanda's ex. Wow, between this and Stahma killing Kenya, being one of Amanda's loved ones seems like a surefire way of being murdered by the Tarr family.
I wonder if this will become a plot point later on? Like since Datak and Stahma are fighting each other over control of the crime organisation, one of them might let slip how the ex/Kenya really died in order to get the other taken out of the picture by Amanda/Nolan/E-Rep Mayor or something.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I forgot that Datak had killed Amanda's ex. Wow, between this and Stahma killing Kenya, being one of Amanda's loved ones seems like a surefire way of being murdered by the Tarr family.
I wonder if this will become a plot point later on? Like since Datak and Stahma are fighting each other over control of the crime organisation, one of them might let slip how the ex/Kenya really died in order to get the other taken out of the picture by Amanda/Nolan/E-Rep Mayor or something.

As I recall, everyone already knows Datak killed the ex (wasn't that the reason Datak was in prison in the first place?), and I'm not sure he knows the truth about what happened to Kenya. Did he even know they were sleeping together?

Simply for narrative reasons I do kind of expect the truth about Kenya to come out and blow things up, but aside from Stahma herself I don't think anyone else has the information.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

ShakeZula posted:

As I recall, everyone already knows Datak killed the ex (wasn't that the reason Datak was in prison in the first place?), and I'm not sure he knows the truth about what happened to Kenya. Did he even know they were sleeping together?

Simply for narrative reasons I do kind of expect the truth about Kenya to come out and blow things up, but aside from Stahma herself I don't think anyone else has the information.

Know the ex getting killed was pinned on terrorists or something. Datak was in prison for stabbing the last guy the E-rep sent in to try to take the town.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

ShakeZula posted:

Datak went to prison for killing the colonel, not the ex. And Datak knows Stahma killed Kenya, since he sent her to do it in order to save face or whatever after he found out about them sleeping together. I'm not sure if Stahma knows that about Datak killing the ex though, but there's a pretty good chance she does, since it was her idea to send Datak to recover the vaccine in the first place.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I doubt that Stahma knows about Datak killing the ex, though she might be able to figure it out or see through Datak's lies on the matter. The reason Datak killed Conner was that Conner witnessed him begging for his life and then viciously abusing the Irathiant's corpse. He's not going to want to talk about that even to his wife. The only reason Nolan was spared was that Datak realized that Nolan was genuinely unconscious and had not witnessed the previous situation. And also because losing both hostages might make Datak look suspicious and/or incompetent.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Ah yes, that makes sense. I really should've rewatched the last episode or two before this season started I guess.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Finally got around to watching last weeks ep, the opening owned so much. Made me think of FONV, like a bunch of Fiends rolling up on an NCR patrol. :allears:

Rest of the ep was great as well, Datak getting his comeuppance has been wonderful, dude is drat angry all the time, and constantly misplacing it. Also just love the world they've built in defiance with all the characters, really feels like a community and it's so fun watching the various individuals and groups playing off one another and the intrigue. I really hope the show does well enough to keep going past this season, it's just so good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Finally got around to watching last weeks ep, the opening owned so much. Made me think of FONV, like a bunch of Fiends rolling up on an NCR patrol. :allears:

Rest of the ep was great as well, Datak getting his comeuppance has been wonderful, dude is drat angry all the time, and constantly misplacing it. Also just love the world they've built in defiance with all the characters, really feels like a community and it's so fun watching the various individuals and groups playing off one another and the intrigue. I really hope the show does well enough to keep going past this season, it's just so good.

It's also nice how the show slowly builds up details instead of going the more sperg route of getting viewer overwhelmed by the details or a excessive focus on epic world building.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

etalian posted:

It's also nice how the show slowly builds up details instead of going the more sperg route of getting viewer overwhelmed by the details or a excessive focus on epic world building.

That's one of the best things about the show. If you want to dive in and experience the show like a native, you can go into study up via the wiki. If you want to just learn and figure stuff out like an outside, you can do that too.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Paradoxish posted:

It didn't sound like he was literally saying "these blast points are too accurate for sand people" so much as "raiders would have just lit this convoy the gently caress up instead of just shooting the guards until they're dead."

That's the way I understood it.

Just catching up on a few episodes, this season is so much better.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Datak may not be entirely incompetent as a businessman or gangster leader, but he is indisputably horrible at reading those closest to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I don't really dig how Amanda is now more of a drug addicted trope and not much of a character. Otherwise it's a really good season so far.

• Locked thread