Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I know of at least 3 CA posters here that are in Ohio. I'm 45ish minutes north of Columbus, right in the middle of a glacial plain extending at least 75 miles in every direction. Near me are two good roads. One is about 3 miles long, the other is OH 315 going from Delaware off of US 23 and continuing to I-270 in Columbus. Really beautiful road that has the Olentangy river winding beside it for a decent length. However it does get choked with traffic and there are few passing zones. Other than these two roads, there is nothing I know of. Long, straight, and flat roads. The best you can get are gentle sweepers.

I also don't know anyone that rides. Or at least anyone I'm confident in riding with. Bunch of squids mostly. In my years of riding, I've never ridden with anyone else and I'd like to change that. Especially so if they can show me a good road.

Other cool motorcycle related poo poo in Ohio:
  • Iron Pony - Westerville
    Gigantic parts/gear store with a dealership arm. Nearly as large as a big box store. I can't speak for the services department, but the parts and gear selection is nice.
  • AMA Hall of Fame - Pickerington
    I hear this is small, but worth a visit for sure
  • Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course - Lexington
    This is definitely no Laguna Seca, but it's a world class track. I've never been, but I'm definitely itching to go. I'd like to sign up for a class this year.
  • SE Ohio in general
    I took my bike around Wayne NF and it has some of the smoothest, curviest, traffic free, and most fun roads I've ever been on. Anyone within a few hours definitely owe it to themselves to visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
42 from Cincinnati to Columbus is a designated scenic road, along with 62 heading northeast from Columbus. Both of those are a great ride with some nice views. Amish country up near Massillon is a gorgeous place to ride as well, and Lehman Brothers Hardware is cool to visit--it's basically an Amish Walmart with everything from propane powered refrigerators to diy soap ingredients.

The best roads I've found so far are down in the Hocking Hills region. I just went on a ride down there last weekend with my cousin, and it was spectacular.

You might check out Mohican State Forest just east of you--that's a great place to explore. Just north of that near Cleveland is Cuyahoga National Forest, which is something I've been wanting to visit for ages now.

If you like dirt, Wayne National Forest, Tar Hollow, and Danville are my favorite places I've found so far. Up in Danville there's everything from "unimproved" county roads to abandoned roads to some great hill climbs, creek crossings, atv trails, etc. There's an active Ohio forum on ADV rider that organizes group dual sort rides if you like to push yourself.

There's another dealer in Columbus worth mentioning, Ohio Motorcycle off Cemetery and 270. It's not quite Iron Pony, but they've got a good parts/service counter and I've gotten good referrals from them when they didn't have obscure stuff I was looking for.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Head over to the Coshocton area and pick a road, most around there are fun.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Whelp, I think we're officially done it chaps... we've finally got Ohio all figured out now. There sure are roads :cripes:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Possum Run Road--Richland County

Western terminus: Ohio 13 @ I-71 exit 169, entering the Super Wal*Mart parking lot:

Eastern terminus: Ohio 95 near Pleasant Hill.

Several miles long, not exceptionally twisty or challenging but one of my favorite rides. Streetview shot

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

OSU_Matthew posted:

You might check out Mohican State Forest just east of you--that's a great place to explore. Just north of that near Cleveland is Cuyahoga National Forest, which is something I've been wanting to visit for ages now.
2nd to motorcycling for me is hiking and backpacking and honestly, CVNP never impressed me. Mohican is a 2nd home to me and allows backpacking on the bridle trail that I'm sure you're aware of. By far one of the best places in Ohio to visit. If large amounts of beautiful forest is what you're after, you really can't beat Wayne NF. Miles and miles of glass smooth empty roads with no commercialization, no billboards, and no traffic. I don't know what the trails for motorcycles are like, but I can say hand that Archer's Fork Loop is the best trail I've ever been on second to the Alum Bluff trail in GSMNP. Way the hell out in the middle of nowhere. The trail head is literally an old cemetery off a gravel road.

Another decent road is 314 going from around Galion to Mansfield. Not very curvy but a hell of a lot better than most things around here.

Are there any decent events or shows coming up that anyone is aware of? I'd like to ride some bikes and look at some bikes with goons I gotta say.

Does anyone have any experience at Mid-Ohio?

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Coming from Painesville up in the very northeast corner of the state, it's a good 2 hours to any decent roads, even Rt 164.

Anyway, make sure to say a prayer tomorrow (6/21) for those crazy bastards taking part in the Lake Erie Loop. 650 miles, 4 states, 2 countries, 1 day.

It doesn't sound like much until you take a look at the "race" classes:
  • Unlimited 50's - if it started life as a 50cc it's eligible and vintage bikes
    up to 110cc.
  • 125's - up to 125cc and vintage bikes up to 160cc.
  • 200's - up to 200cc, any Cushman style scooter with a stock based motor (no
    Cushman hybrids) and vintage bikes up to 225cc.
  • Moped Class. It MUST have pedals.
  • Tourist class - any size, any bike. There will be no authorized competition
    in this class, it's a fun run only.

I enjoyed the AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days (7/11-7/13) when I stopped by for a day a few years back, but I've always enjoyed looking at vintage motorcycles I don't personally have to fix.

Iron Pony is also going to host the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club's show & swap tomorrow (6/21) from 10-4.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

SimplyCosmic posted:

Iron Pony is also going to host the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club's show & swap tomorrow (6/21) from 10-4.
drat this sounds rad as hell. I got called into work near Bowling Green unfortunately. Maybe I can pop in late afternoon? Anyone else going?

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Most of you are probably already aware of these roads, but here are a few more route reports I wrote.

Rt 78 - Backbone of Ohio's Dragons
Rt 800 - Curves, Hills and a River Ferry
Rt 174 - Slow Ride for a Sunday

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

OSU_Matthew posted:

Just north of that near Cleveland is Cuyahoga National Forest, which is something I've been wanting to visit for ages now.

If you like dirt, Wayne National Forest, Tar Hollow, and Danville are my favorite places I've found so far.
A few weeks ago I rode from the Mill Stream Run reservation (a little west of the CVNP) all the way to the lake following the Rocky River and it's a beautiful trip, the park itself is also pretty great.

I picked up a DR200 a few months ago and have been itching to make a pilgrimage to Wayne National this summer, any tips for when it should be the driest/most rideable?

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Double postin' because I totally killed the thread.

Anyone going to the AMA vintage days at Mid-Ohio today?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

astrollinthepork posted:

I don't know what the trails for motorcycles are like, but I can say that Archer's Fork Loop is the best trail I've ever been on second to the Alum Bluff trail in GSMNP. Way the hell out in the middle of nowhere. The trail head is literally an old cemetery off a gravel road.

Does anyone have any experience at Mid-Ohio?

Zaleski State Park has a great backpacking trail you should check out--tons of interesting things to see on it, and the park even provides water at all the designated campsites.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I picked up a DR200 a few months ago and have been itching to make a pilgrimage to Wayne National this summer, any tips for when it should be the driest/most rideable?

drat, that's what I get for slacking on the forums--that vintage track meetup sounds like it woulda been fun to hit up.

If you've got a DR200, you should check in with the ADV rider Ohio thread... they post up frequent dual sport rides.

What's everyone's favorite spots to moto-camp within the state?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I live in Cincinnati so given the option I don't exactly choose SW Ohio to ride in, that said if any of you guys are ever down this way I'll show you the fun roads in NKY. My grandparents have land in Adams County so I've ridden around the edge of the good roads in SE Ohio too, it's not bad if you can get to them.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

The Cleveland Mods vs Rockers ride will be going on this Saturday, August 9th, for those who enjoy vintage bikes. There's usually more than a few modern, but oddball bikes, joining in as well. I no longer have my '73 CB350F, so I'm considering throwing in with the scooter riders this year.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I have no opinion on Ohio.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

karms fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 8, 2014

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

The Cleveland Mods vs Rockers ride made me a hypocrite. For years, I have silently raged at "cruiser parades" taking up a lane and holding up traffic, only to participate in the exact same thing with 70+ vintage bikes and scooters. "Road Guards" on old scooters from the 70s and 80s rolling through downtown Cleveland is a bit surreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Cool, an Ohio thread. I'm northeast Ohio but I travel all summer from week to week. Next week is Labor Day and I really can't get away that week but the following week I'll be in St.Clairsville and them Old Washington the week after that. I have my Ktm 990 and my Drz 400 if any one wants to meet up for a ride.

• Locked thread