Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Sir, on a board of this size, exploring the Center Square is a three-man mission. I volunteer as the third member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Sir, I am personally disgusted by your lack of respect for Bret Hart, sir!

Also, row 1, column 1.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

GNU Order posted:

Sir, on a board of this size, exploring the Center Square is a three-man mission. I volunteer as the third member.

Sir, I've just recounted and it looks like there are actually four squares that can be called "dead-centre"! The enemy are trying to trick us with their unscrupulous use of even numbers! As such, I'd like to volunteer to be the fourth man on the job!

All together now, lads!

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!
Once the centre is cleared it's time to check out those corners, sir.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sir, I believe piety is the way forward. I volunteer to manoeuvre in a cross pattern about the central point plus four squares west, sir.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Sir, are these mine placement exactly regulation? It seems like they'd be counterproductive, sir.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Tobias Grant posted:

Sir I'm just going to jump up and down on the center square sir.

anilEhilated posted:

I believe I can fly. Dead center.

GNU Order posted:

inflatablefish posted:

Sir, I've just recounted and it looks like there are actually four squares that can be called "dead-centre"! The enemy are trying to trick us with their unscrupulous use of even numbers! As such, I'd like to volunteer to be the fourth man on the job!

All together now, lads!

Mmhmm, like right and proper Canadians! Now that's what I call teamwork! That opened up a significant chunk of the grid.

Shalkore posted:

Once the centre is cleared it's time to check out those corners, sir.

Yeah, you go on. I'm just gonna put some flags right here. I'm assuming a cluster like that would be self-evident considering your stage 1 training, so let's call that a freebie.

Now, did anyone wish to alter their suggestions, or did you all plan on running out onto the grid half-cocked anyways?

Gamerofthegame posted:

Sir, are these mine placement exactly regulation? It seems like they'd be counterproductive, sir.

Soldier, that backtalk isn't exactly regulation, now is it? It certainly seems to me like it's counterproductive, Private.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Sir, I am personally disgusted by your lack of respect for Bret Hart, sir!

Bret who?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Sir! Based on my incredibly complex and in-depth analysis, I have concluded that there are mines at the following locations:

Column 1, Row 13
Column 7, Row 6
Column 13, Row 6
Column 14, Row 12
Column 7, Row 16
Column 10, Row 16
Column 10, Row 3
Columns 2-4, Row 9
Columns 4-6, Row 10

That should account for a large number of mines! Sir.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 21, 2014

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Sir, Canadian Naval Command has reason to believe that Row 1, Column 4 should be safe, sir!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Once again, red circles are mines, blue are clear.

Will continue once map is updated, sir!

Edit: Column 14, Row 3 is also a mine, which makes Column 15, Row 3 safe and Column 16, row 3 another mine. That makes 16 mines found on this out of the 37 remaining.

Edit Edit: Column 9, Row 15 is also a mine. Column 9, Row 16 is safe. Can't believe I missed all these first pass.

Edit Edit Edit: Column 14, Row 7 is a mine, Same Column, Row 8 is safe. I'm seriously done now.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 21, 2014

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Sir! Requesting permission to investigate Row 3 Column 3!

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Sir! I'm gonna go stomp really hard on Column 12, Row 2, sir!

OG Necromancer fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 21, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Sir! I'm gonna go stomp really hard on Column 12, Row 2, sir!

WAIT!

That's a mine too! Throw a flag in that, son!

You can stand on the one above it though.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

RickVoid posted:

WAIT!

That's a mine too! Throw a flag in that, son!

You can stand on the one above it though.

Okay, I'll go do that then.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Sir! Due to my overflowing Albertonite Pride, I request that we annex column 2, row 8.

Why you ask?

*ahem*

Oh twoooo is the number of Ernest Manning's kiiiiids
And eiiiight is the place in prime min-is-try he iiiiiiiis (of Alberta!)

Under HIM his party abANdoned, social credit theeeeeeories

And!

PURGED anti SEEEEEEMitism: that social stigma of which! The party! Wa-a-a-s weeeeeeeeearied!

HEY!
Sing a song of Ernest Manning, sing it all the day,
And Charge right in without any heed or numbers point'ng the way,
Because we're Canadian, and not a foreign spy!
No more suspicious than the next Canadian guy!

On the advice of my teammates, I would also like to congratulate Canadian hockeyier Timothy Horton, for scoring a "double double" in last night's game. I understand this to be As we all know, this is the most difficult shot to make in hockey. So: congrats Tim Horton, on your double double.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 21, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Bacter posted:

Sir! Due to my overflowing Albertonite Pride, I request that we annex column 2, row 8.

Why you ask?

*ahem*

Oh twoooo is the number of Ernest Manning's kiiiiids
And eiiiight is the place in prime min-is-try he iiiiiiiis (of Alberta!)

Under HIM his party abANdoned, social credit theeeeeeories

And!

PURGED anti SEEEEEEMitism: that social stigma of which! The party! Wa-a-a-s weeeeeeeeearied!

HEY!
Sing a song of Ernest Manning, sing it all the day,
And Charge right in without any heed or numbers point'ng the way,
Because we're Canadian, and not a foreign spy!
No more suspicious than the next Canadian guy!

On the advice of my teammates, I would also like to congratulate Canadian hockeyier Timothy Horton, for scoring a "double double" in last night's game. I understand this to be As we all know, this is the most difficult shot to make in hockey. So: congrats Tim Horton, on your double double.

Upon further review, Column 2 Row 9 and Column 3 Row 9 are also mines.

What am I up to now, 20?

Edit: For clarity, here's what I've got on the map thus far. I think that's all I can get right now.

So that's 29 total out of 40.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 21, 2014

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Wait a minute there, you Greenlander spy! What's up with the bottom half of Column 9 on that map?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Sighence posted:

Wait a minute there, you Greenlander spy! What's up with the bottom half of Column 9 on that map?

Yeah, I screwed that up. Realized after I posted. The red circle in the middle of the bottom row needs to swap places with the blue circle above it. Not on my home Pc right now though.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.

RickVoid posted:

Upon further review, Column 2 Row 9 and Column 3 Row 9 are also mines.

What am I up to now, 20?

Edit: For clarity, here's what I've got on the map thus far. I think that's all I can get right now.

So that's 29 total out of 40.

Sir, I'll help out as best as I can, and i'll even EXPLAIN my reasoning. Maybe that'll help us get somewhere.

For example, that line of 2s, the three of them all together in a row on the third row? Well the one's on the left and right are touching a mine each, but the center one isn't in contact with any mines! There are three squares above that suspicious 2, and we know that two out of these three squares are mined... But it can't be the two on the left or the two on the right, because that would make the 2s on either side of that block in contact with THREE mines.

Ergo, the mines must be divided equally on the right and left side, with the center block right above the center 2 free to click.

Bury me with my tags if I'm wrong.

Neige fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 21, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dr. Snark posted:

Sir! Based on my incredibly complex and in-depth analysis, I have concluded that there are mines at the following locations:

Column 1, Row 13
Column 7, Row 6
Column 13, Row 6
Column 14, Row 12
Column 7, Row 16
Column 10, Row 16
Column 10, Row 3
Columns 2-4, Row 9
Columns 4-6, Row 10

That should account for a large number of mines! Sir.

Impressive, Cpl. Dr. Snark.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Sir, Canadian Naval Command has reason to believe that Row 1, Column 4 should be safe, sir!

Ha ha ha! Well, now, isn't that just like the Navy?

But seriously, those folks are direly underfunded--even by our standards!

Someone get a clean up. Tell the Navy we got one of their people in a body bag. Tell'em they ruined a lot of our soldier's hard work.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Neige posted:

Sir, I'll help out as best as I can, and i'll even EXPLAIN my reasoning. Maybe that'll help us get somewhere.

For example, that line of 2s, the three of them all together in a row on the third row? Well the one's on the left and right are touching a mine each, but the center one isn't in contact with any mines! There are three squares above that suspicious 2, and we know that two out of these three squares are mined... But it can't be the two on the left or the two on the right, because that would make the 2s on either side of that block in contact with THREE mines.

Ergo, the mines must be divided equally on the right and left side, with the center block right above the center 2 free to click.

Bury me with my tags if I'm wrong.

Your logic seems sound, but perhaps we could wait for an updated map first? Just to see if anything helpful is revealed.

Edit: fffffffffff...

Bloody seamen.

Lower left and upper right corners.

Sigh.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 21, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

RickVoid posted:

Your logic seems sound, but perhaps we could wait for an updated map first? Just to see if anything helpful is revealed.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Now that we have a clear board, punch that smug loving smiley face to teach him that he's not safe.

Sir.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Center tile of the bottommost row, sir!

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Sir, requesting standard Lemming Squadron deployment to the four corners, sir!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Sighence posted:

I'll take the top right!

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Sir, I feel that at times like these it is best to jump in at random! Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Requesting deployment to column 8, row 12.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Sir, we're taught to surround the enemy whenever possible while leaving an avenue of escape in case things get ornery. I'm looking at the second square from the top right, the second square from the top left, the second square from the bottom right, and the second square from the bottom left in no particular order, sir!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

RickVoid posted:

Edit: fffffffffff...

Bloody seamen.

Lower left and upper right corners.

Sigh.

Looks good. Keep it up.

GSD posted:

Center tile of the bottommost row, sir!

You realize that there are two "centre tiles" on this grid, right?

Sighence posted:

Gamerofthegame posted:

I'll take the top right!

Yeah, that's it. By the numbers, people.

Bombogenesis posted:

Sir, I feel that at times like these it is best to jump in at random! Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Requesting deployment to column 8, row 12.

I don't know that I support your methods, Pvt. Bombogenesis, but you're getting results--little as they are.

GNU Order posted:

Now that we have a clear board, punch that smug loving smiley face to teach him that he's not safe.

Sir.

You leave that poor smiley alone!

Sally fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 2, 2014

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Sir, a recommendation! Maybe some sort of easy-overlay to make reporting positions easier by marking the X and Y axis with numbers.

PS, two from the top, three right.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Gamerofthegame posted:

Sir, a recommendation! Maybe some sort of easy-overlay to make reporting positions easier by marking the X and Y axis with numbers.

PS, two from the top, three right.

That would be convenient, wouldn't it? But this is the Canadian Military. We don't get to have "convenient". We get to have whatever our cheap-rear end government deems we get to have. And we get this training simulator.

PS, what about "two from the top, three right?" You gonna plant a flag there or start jumping up and down on it? Think hard.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Sir, Private Ricky thinks that it should be safe to check Row 6, Column 1. Just in case, the rest of the Viscera Cleanup Squad will remain on standby for his terrible and bloody demise.

Related note, where do you want the kidneys?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Sir, going by a grid where the columns are letters, the rows are numbers, and the top left corner is A1, there are mines on locations C2, D6, C10, D10, E10, C14, C15, D14, C7, and M14, sir.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Sir! Airman requesting permission to paradrop to Row 8, Column 11!

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Sir, going by a grid where the columns are letters, the rows are numbers, and the top left corner is A1, there are mines on locations C2, D6, C10, D10, E10, C14, C15, D14, C7, and M14, sir.

Requesting permission to follow-up with redeployment to C1, sir!

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
Sir, I am going to go into J5 and start a little garden. We need the carrots to help our vision in spotting mines.

Shinarato fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 21, 2014

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Oh no! There are lost puppies on each of the four middle tiles! I'm going to save them, SIR!

MusketeerJesus
Nov 1, 2011
SIR! I'm going to jump really hard on the top center tile of the right most side.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Sir! Request permission to obliterate H6, Sir!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

See that 4, sir? Now see the 1 below it? I'm gonna drop kick the tile 2 to the right of that 1 sir!

• Locked thread