Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Yes, it's true, having plumbed the depths of every possible concept for an MMO known to man, Korea, in their infinite wisdom, made a fishing MMO. But wait! Don't balk yet! Turns out this game has some positive qualities that might let you wring some cash-free enjoyment from this surprisingly satisfying concept. Bored of killing boars in the woods? Sick of shooting aliens or terrorists or alien terrorists? Perhaps a nice, relaxing fishing trip can take your mind away to a better place. The smell of the fresh salt air, the taste of well-cooked seafood, the jarring and ill-fitting sight of anime cleavage...

I kid, but, honestly, the anime levels going on here aren't too extreme, at least compared to other Korean MMOs. The worst offenders in this case are in the loading screens and on the website, as opposed to in the game.

The gameplay here isn't too hard to grasp or too simplistic. Cast out your line, and when a fish bites, wait until the perfect moment to start reeling in for a bonus in the 'battle'. Reel in the fish while watching the line tension, too tight and the line will snap, too loose and the fish will get away. Swing your rod in the opposite direction of a fish's movements to get a 'counter'. Reel the fish in close enough to catch it, then decide to keep or release. Keeping fish will give you items like bait and stuff you can sell, where as releasing fish will build up a buff associated with that fish that builds up in strength the more fish of that type you release.

Be sure to watch your HP, too! Yes, you lose HP while fishing, more of it the bigger the fish you reel in. You can replenish it by eating food.

There is, of course, a questline to go through, involving catching specific types of fish, running back and forth between NPCs, the usual rigmarole. (Look for the guys on the minimap indicated by a purple diamond.) There's lots of ways to get rewarded for fishing, though. There's a Fishopedia, which is like a Pokedex for fish. You'll get rewards for filling out new Fishopedia entries by catching new types of fish, and by completing objectives associated with those fish, usually by catching more of them. There are Activities, which track your progress and give you rewards for crossing certain milestones, and Achievements, which are what you'd expect. There's also Bingo, which gives you a bingo card with different tasks on each space, and you'll get a reward for making a line within a certain time limit.

You can also make a lovely aquarium to keep all your favourite fishies in. :3:

But Mr. Generico, if this is a Korean F2P MMO, isn't dumping a bunch of money into the cash shop going to be required?

Actually, no. The Item Shop in this game is pretty reasonable, as while gear like fishing rods, reels, and hooks can be bought with real cash currency, there's always a rough equivalent you can buy with in-game currency, and I've heard it isn't even that hard to come by from normal playing. Stuff like clothes, which add stamina and counter stats as well as provide cosmetic value, can't even be bought with CC, the game's real cash equivalent. There's no random lockboxes, no boosters, no rentals, and the only stuff that's CC-only is cosmetics for your avatar. Pretty reasonable, considering.

The translation does have its funny spots, though.

Alright, so where do I get this from?
The publisher is GamesCampus, which also puts out Rumble Fighter, Shot Online, RF Online, 9 Dragons, and Drift City, so if you've played any of those games before, you already have an account.

Official Website
Game Guide

How do I play with goons?
Guild is called 'Goon Squid' (thanks to Greyish Orange for the name). Eryxias, who's IGN is Mr_Bait, is the Guild Master, so send him an in-game Mail with your SA username to get let in.

I'm having trouble catching a certain fish and/or finishing a certain quest...
This wacky-rear end Japanese wiki might help out.

I'm going to make fun of you for wanting to play this dumb game.
Feel free.

El Generico fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a KMMO developer and I don't even believe this ridiculousness.

Downloading.

kosbabii
Dec 25, 2010
Looks like the perfect game to play while having the flu!
Installing now, IGN is xogrimm

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Guild is up, it's just called 'Goon Squad' for simplicity's sake.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

El Generico posted:

Guild is up, it's just called 'Goon Squad' for simplicity's sake.

Goon Squid, drat you.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
This game is just an elaborate unfunny joke right?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Greyish Orange posted:

Goon Squid, drat you.

You hosed up, op. :colbert:

If I could play pretty princess simulator Pangya, I could get behind this.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Greyish Orange posted:

Goon Squid, drat you.

drat, that's exactly the kind of thing I was trying to think of, too. Oh well, 10K Gold isn't really much. It'll be 'Goon Squid' in an hour.

EDIT: Goon Squid is now up.

El Generico fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 21, 2014

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

How is the music? If I am going to grind fishing i better have some good music.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Boobs and fishing, but Korean? So confused.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Downloading just for the wtf factor.

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002
This early mission to catch 2 stone moroko and perform a counter while doing so is really annoying, they never seem to present an opportunity to counter.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I haven't played, but I don't get it. What is the multiplayer part of this? Do you do anything but fish? Is there beer? Please tell me there is beer.

If you can actually do stuff with other players a Greenpeace/Rainbow Warrior gimmick might be fun.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I haven't played, but I don't get it. What is the multiplayer part of this? Do you do anything but fish?

There are quests that have objectives that say (Party) at the end, and in these, everyone in your party can contribute towards completion of the quest for you. Also, there are tournaments and such.

And no. The entire game is fishing.

Inverse posted:

How is the music? If I am going to grind fishing i better have some good music.

This hilariously energetic rock music kicks in every time you hook a fish and start 'battling'.

Arclyte posted:

This early mission to catch 2 stone moroko and perform a counter while doing so is really annoying, they never seem to present an opportunity to counter.

I had the same thing, but there's more than enough other quests at that point to skip it.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
I can confirm Fishmans in in fact A Game and I am Playing it.

Look for Jigglyjuggs in game for my presence.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just letting it set in that this games acronym is WTF. Perfectly describes this. I'm away on vacation currently but absolutely going to be playing this when I get home next week.

scstewart
Apr 2, 2010
Maybe I'm just an idiot, but the tutorial made literally no sense to me.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Well, I enjoy fishing games, so having other people in my fishing game should make it that much better. Giving this a shot.

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.
My friends and I started playing this game as a joke, and now we can't stop playing. This game is actually really fun.

When you "fight" the fish, the fish has two stats - HP, and distance from the boat. As you reel fish in, the fish takes HP damage and the distance lowers. During this whole time, your own HP and resource pool, the tension on the fishing line, moves around depending on what you're doing and with how much tension. The higher you pull your fishing rod, the more tension you apply. Your actions depend on what you do with your mouseclicks. Left-click reels the line in (more tension) while right click releases line (less tension). I think hitting no mouse button just locks the line in place? Anyway, you catch the fish when the HP goes to 0 or you reel the tired (low HP) fish close enough.

I don't know what the gently caress is going on but I really can't stop playing this game. You can get items and accessories on your fisherman and they have WoW-like stats (+damage per second, +stamina, +reel speed etc.).

Basically this is just another standard MMO, except the combat mechanic is fishing - and it's quite fun for some crazy reason.

E: Today I caught a yellow rockfish, and it had fish eggs still in it. The name of the item was "unborn lives" and it gave me an achievement. WTF

WarpZealot fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 29, 2014

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

WarpZealot posted:

E: Today I caught a yellow rockfish, and it had fish eggs still in it. The name of the item was "unborn lives" and it gave me an achievement. WTF

eat the eggs smush math :douche:

Coffstah
Dec 23, 2003

This game owns

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
tehe qt:>
I FINALLY GOT YOU YOU loving GOLDFISH FUCKER

Coffstah posted:

This game owns

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
Game should be outlawed as a controlled substance as all I can think about is fishing. Why can't I stop this stupid game?!

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Twisc posted:

I FINALLY GOT YOU YOU loving GOLDFISH FUCKER
Put that fucker right in your fishtank

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
i've had a "legendary black bass" on my line twice in about 3 hours and it broke both times. gently caress i want it

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

WarpZealot posted:

Was debating whether to try it until I saw this. MOTHERFUCKIN SOLD.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Applied to Goon Squid with ign Candy_Leader or CandyLeader I forget. This game seems like a wonderful dream.

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
this is a huge fish. this has got to be wtf rating. this is a god drat world record. fight for 5 minutes, finally land it. .1 cm off world record. get more drunk and try again. (my experience playing this game).

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Started playing this game. Oddly enjoyable with a youtube playlist of music in the background. IGN is Lifthrasir, going to apply to Goon Squid to give me someone to complain about not catching the specific fish I want to!

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...
I just applied to Goon Squid as Rowsdower.

Currently trying to catch a goldfish and it's not going well.

Flying Emu
Jan 20, 2006
*turns to face sunset, long, greasy hair flows softly in the wind*
Applied as FlyingEmu

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

How big is the download? If it's not too big I won't have time to rethink my decision to try this out.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Game is good.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I guess I can get back into this if there's a Goon team now. I've played this for a couple of days at launch and played during a open beta weekend, but I can hop back into this.

In-game name is same as forums name.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 8, 2014

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Signed up for the guild. Same name in-game.

az
Dec 2, 2005

How do you get more fish organs after the first quest for it? I've been chumming masu salmon but they haven't yielded any more.

Driya
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks for the warning, game. I'll keep that in mind.

Applied to the guild as Thats_A_Moray, because if I'm going to try a dumb fishing game I might as well play it with goons.

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!
applied as nazrin because hey i play every other loving thing out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Makanovy
Dec 28, 2009
Applied as Death_2_Dolphins. I might not be taking this very seriously.

• Locked thread