Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Spintires is a new game from relative unknown Oovee Game Studios, best described as an Offroad Simulator. Your goal is to use big trucks to pick up lumber from point A and deliver it to point B through some of the muddiest Soviet swamp you'll ever see.

So it's like Euro Truck Simulator?

Not really. While ETS2 is a great game with an excellent thread on the forums, ETS2 is mostly about the zen of driving and listening to terrible music.

Spintires is a game about getting hopelessly stuck in the mud 30 feet from your own garage. Then you send another truck to rescue the first one, hit a tree, and slowly tip over into a river. It also has online multiplayer, so your friends can come and try to rescue your trucks, only to get dragged down into the muck themselves.

Fellow comrade goon Feindfeuer drives through what appeared to be a wheel-high mud rut, never to be seen again.

One of the main draws of Spintires is the deformable terrain. Trees can get knocked over, rocks can get kicked up, and maybe most importantly, the ground and mud is fully deformable in response to your truck. This makes getting anywhere a constant, interesting struggle versus the world.

How does it look?

Very cool!

Here is their hilariously dubsteppy launch trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiOt7SuHGPM

Here is a less goofy 7-minute full version preview trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEk0mCJhZlI

Here is a pretty informative video of someone playing the game for like an hour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_OjBylleA8

Is this some early access Kickstarter not-yet-ready for play garbage?

Nope! It was funded through Kickstarter, and went through Steam Greenlight, but it is now a fully released game available on Steam. They are still planning additional updates and listening to things that people want included. There's also mod support.

Is there a demo?

There is a "tech demo" located here. It's missing many of the features of the full game (I think this may just be what they used to show off their tech for the Kickstarter), but it's certainly enough for you to get hopelessly stuck in the mud.

I'm still not convinced. What does the press say?

Kotaku explains what Spintires is and why it is one of the top selling games on Steam.

Rock Paper Shotgun tells you Wot They Think.

Polygon plays Spintires for about a half hour in their Overview Video.

Giant Bomb takes a Quick Look at Spintires.

Steam reviewers say it for themselves:

GAMEPLAY FAQ

Is there a career mode like ETS?

Not really. It's mostly just trying to get 8 points worth of deliveries done to two locations on the map, no real leveling up or overall monetary simulation. But completing even one delivery is an adventure in and of itself.

Is there wheel support? Controller support?

Yes to both! Wheel support has been patched in post-release.

Is there a cockpit view? This camera is poo poo.

No cockpit view, but they've stated that they have heard multiple requests for it and are also looking into implementing one. The camera can be difficult, but you sort of get used to it.

(edit): As of the latest version, there is now a hood camera at least!

Is the game moddable?

Yes! There's a large amount of mods already in the download section of Oovee's own forums. [DISCLAIMER: I have not tested any mods, so I can't vouch that any of them actually work.]

I started a map and there's like 17 help windows telling me what to do and this is quite overwhelming.

First, hit F1 to see the map. You should be able to see areas that are cloaked (i.e. covered in a fog of war), someplace to pick up lumber, some "objectives" to deliver lumber to, and maybe some locked trucks. Decide what you want to do first -- uncover some of the map, drive to those trucks to unlock them, or start on lumber deliveries? Pick a truck to do what you want. You can change what things the trucks have installed while you are still at the garage, so make sure you have the modules for what you intend to do. If you're going right for lumber, make sure you can carry a load, if you're scouting maybe put repair kit on or extra fuel, etc. Then get to driving, and sink into the mud 30 feet from your garage.

Yup, I'm stuck in the mud. Now what?

You have some tools to get yourself out. You can turn on both differential lock and all-wheel drive. Differential lock makes power go to all tires equally, possibly helping gain traction. (In some situations, having this off also seems to help, such as when only one of your tires is hitting anything solid). All-wheel drive puts power to the front wheels as well, maybe dragging you out of that swamp. NOTE: in Hardcore mode you have to switch to manual gearing, using the shifter in the lower right of your screen, to engage the differential lock.

Why not drive around with differential lock and AWD on all the time?

It uses more fuel, which is more of a concern in hardcore mode (casual mode is much more forgiving on fuel use). You can also damage your truck if you have it on when you don't need it. Having differential lock and all-wheel drive on while cornering quickly on tarmac, for example, can cause damage.

I engaged differential lock and all-wheel drive and just dug in deeper. Now what?

Your winch is one of the best tools you have when you're really stuck. Go to advanced mode (either click it with the mouse or hit V). You'll see small circles in various positions on your truck. Click on that and it'll show you objects, such as large trees, you can attach the other end of your winch to. Then go out of advanced mode and hold F to pull with your winch. You can also drive at the same time as you're pulling with the winch. This should get you out of most mud situations.

Still stuck.

From your map (F1) you can switch to another truck by double clicking on it from the list in the upper left. Grab your biggest truck and drive it to where the stuck one is, and then winch it out of the hole. Or, more likely, drag your whole fleet down with it. If you're in Filthy Casual Mode, you can also recover your truck back to your garage, although you'll lose a lumber load if you are carrying one.

I'm trying to load lumber and it says I need to position the truck correctly. What gives?

You don't need to be right next to a lumber pile, nor do you need to actually manually lift the lumber with your crane. It just wants you to be in the lumber loading zone with your trailer directly behind the truck. It can be finicky about it, you need to be fairly straight. When you are, you should get a button to load lumber, which will automatically set you up with a full load.

I'm pretty sure I can fit this lumber truck between those two trees and then get up that mud hill on the other side.

Sure you can, comrade. Sure you can.

:siren: Goon comrade Simply Bagel made a Steam group for all your multiplayer needs: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goontires :siren:

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
This is a good game. All the fun and frustration of driving through mile after mile of mud and rocks and poo poo and screaming "go go go!" without ever having to leave your armchair (or clean up a truck afterward).

You won't fit between those trees.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm pretty sure I can fit this lumber truck between those two trees and then get up that mud hill on the other side.

Sure you can, comrade. Sure you can.

That was a lie. :(

Edit:
Also you didn't tell me there was a river behind that hill.

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 19, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This looks like so much fun. I wanna get stuck in (the mud) with the boyz. Definitely buying it once the price drops low enough that I can afford it. Being able to play it multiplayer with a friend who's really into truck sims would be so awesome too.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Feindfeuer posted:

That was a lie. :(

90% of my gently caress ups in this game have started with me muttering "Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can fit through there."

An hour later, I'm pulling up in another truck with a winch and a repair kit.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Looking forward to plowing my lovely pre-war lumber truck into a acre of the motherland's finest mud while howling like a wolf

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Be really, really careful about rolling your truck in a tight area. I've clipped a wheel through the ground twice now, and it's impossible to get the truck back out after that.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

Be really, really careful about rolling your truck in a tight area. I've clipped a wheel through the ground twice now, and it's impossible to get the truck back out after that.

There was a minor hotfix update on Steam today that says it fixed a problem with tires clipping into the ground. So, hopefully that's fixed.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
I was playing a bit of it but most pubs are brain dead or something. Multi can be frustrating and I am not the best ingame driver yet so make bone headed moves.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

This game needs dynamite cargo and rope bridges before i'll shell out thirty dollars for it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HORMELCHILI posted:

This game needs dynamite cargo and rope bridges before i'll shell out thirty dollars for it.

It's not a rope bridge, but this seems very unsafe! Halfway there.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I tried out the chained tires on the old, rusty blue Ural truck... they give you a lot of extra grip on the wheels that have them equipped... but only the wheels at the back of the truck get them, so you push your slippery frontwheels around the mud with little control whatsoever... unless you get into a more solid area, but than you don't need the chains to begin with. :psyduck:

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
This game needs tanks.
Tanks would make this game really cool, They don't need to fire or anything, just getting them stuck in mud.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Dementedghost posted:

This game needs tanks.
Tanks would make this game really cool, They don't need to fire or anything, just getting them stuck in mud.

Or better yet tanks you have to retrieve and bring to a depot using a recovery vehical.

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012
Hell yes this game is awesome! Just need a map editor to reenact the wages of fear. :unsmigghh:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I have a 2 year old who wishes he could drive our car. This game seems like it'd be awesome for him (on very easy mode, if such a thing exists in the game), too bad about the lack of wheel support.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

And sometimes on the other side of that hill is a bunch of stumps you couldnt see before cresting the hill so now all your wheels are in the air.

FORDING THE RIVER is always a terrible idea.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cicero posted:

I have a 2 year old who wishes he could drive our car. This game seems like it'd be awesome for him (on very easy mode, if such a thing exists in the game), too bad about the lack of wheel support.

Just buy him Mario Kart. This game looks cool but I don't think a 2 year old is gonna make it in the deadly Russian mud traps.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Or get the monster truck mod. That'll be fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95l3HkcPt8c

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

It's always deeper than it looks... even when you made it through just fine the last time.

:sigh:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Just buy him Mario Kart. This game looks cool but I don't think a 2 year old is gonna make it in the deadly Russian mud traps.
Well obviously he'd have heavy assistance, I just think he'd enjoy controlling a realistic-looking big truck more than a cartoony gokart. Maybe I'll check out ETS2.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Next Car Game might be a satisfying one to play too for him.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

That one looks interesting. Would an ancient wheel like the Logitech Driving Force Pro still work with these modern driving games? Googling around it looks like it probably would but not sure, I don't really know anything about driving games (I mentioned that specific one because it showed up on a craigslist search and seems to have had good reviews).

edit: now I'm wracking my brain trying to think of a way to let him reach the pedals

Cicero fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 20, 2014

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cicero posted:

Well obviously he'd have heavy assistance, I just think he'd enjoy controlling a realistic-looking big truck more than a cartoony gokart. Maybe I'll check out ETS2.

ETS2 would probably be less frustrating for a kid. As much as I'm enjoying this game, I'm not kidding about being able to bury yourself in the mud seconds after leaving the garage. ETS2 you can also set a lot more things to automatic, here you are going to need to mess with the differential lock and the all-wheel drive and the winch.

But with that said, this game is a ton of fun and you know your kid's likes and dislikes and the level of help you'd be giving better than us. You do get a lot more grubbing in the mud and water here, if that's what he is into.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

My first thoughts upon seeing stuff about the game were "poo poo, this needs a Sorcerer mod" and I'm glad someone shares that thought.

I tried the demo, loved it. Sucks it's not part of the current Steam sale but I might bite at full price because the mods seem impressive (there's a rally car mod or two I think)

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
This looks amazing

Looking forward to wheel support

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Tried the tech demo and I'm really drat impressed with how much care they put into all the little details, and that's from the year-old build. I'll probably get it if it goes on sale but 30 bucks is a bit much for the kind of limited content I guess.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I think wheel support is useless without cockpit view. Playing in third person with a wheel is weird as hell. (Edit: I mean, I really hope they add cockpit view as well)

This game is amazing and fun as hell, but right now it really needs a patch that contains a chat fix (right now, the hosts name shows up for all messages), multiplayer save, and for the love of god fix the night time lighting. What's the point of having night time if the dark is light enough to see without having to use headlights. The headlights actually makes it harder to see your surroundings than having them turned off. At least make it so for hardcore mode.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 20, 2014

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014

wjs5 posted:

Or better yet tanks you have to retrieve and bring to a depot using a recovery vehical.

kids play. more like recovering uranium from chernobyl

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tried the tech demo but guess my graphics card does't have the Umph to play this.. I get a stutter every 5-10 seconds :(.. some day I'll get a better graphics card.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
It really isn't that demanding as the requirements say at least on single player -- it's borderline playable* on an AMD C-60 APU, which is 1.0 GHz Dual-core and AMD HD6290. You lose a lot of the eye candy but the terrain stil deforms and the water is dynamic.

* 10-30 FPS on 1024x600 on low settings

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

I bit the bullet and got it with GmG discounts, now lets see how-

:smith:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

You won't fit between those trees.

I'm waiting to buy this game if it goes on sale during the Steam Sale. I have been watching streams of it and this is the most truthful statement about the game. Everyone has said they could do this and the trees are batting 1.000 so far.

borf
Apr 5, 2006
I passed this game by initially because it has such a stupid loving name. Then after watching a friend play it I realized how much fun getting stuck in the mud actually is! Definitely worth a steamsale pickup.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rosoboronexport posted:

It really isn't that demanding as the requirements say at least on single player -- it's borderline playable* on an AMD C-60 APU, which is 1.0 GHz Dual-core and AMD HD6290. You lose a lot of the eye candy but the terrain stil deforms and the water is dynamic.

* 10-30 FPS on 1024x600 on low settings

I've got an nvidia 210, what seems to make it skippy in the tech demo is probably the low clock speed 600mhz and low speed memory bus.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I am in love with the E-7310. Yeah, it can't carry a load, but for saving your other trucks, or just for de-cloaking the map, it's such a beast.

Don't be afraid of the Volcano map, it's actually a pretty easy map and you get some of the better trucks like the E right from the start. It's a pretty long delivery loop, so you'll probably want to do a lot of mapping first and unlock the second garage, but I've run into less unrecoverable screwups here than I have on some other ones.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 21, 2014

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I um... got my first achievement a minute or two into the game.

Sisyphus. :ughh:

Despite that embarrassment I'm now a few hours into the game--still only one achievement, haha--but I'm digging this. Then again I'm sorta an unrepentant Russophile and this is the closest I can get to getting stuck in the glorious motherland's incredible gently caress off backroad mud.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Is there ever a reason to use the front exhaust? Seems like all it does is cause a ton of damage...

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 21, 2014

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

TerminalBlue posted:

I um... got my first achievement a minute or two into the game.

Sisyphus. :ughh:

Despite that embarrassment I'm now a few hours into the game--still only one achievement, haha--but I'm digging this. Then again I'm sorta an unrepentant Russophile and this is the closest I can get to getting stuck in the glorious motherland's incredible gently caress off backroad mud.

I've been playing for several hours without realizing you had to shift into manual first gear to use diff. lock

All that time spent winching myself out of tiny mudpits :shepicide:

E: Is there a way to get rid of the loose logs rolling around my carriage? They're just bashing up the truck while I drive around.

BlueDestiny fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

BlueDestiny posted:

I've been playing for several hours without realizing you had to shift into manual first gear to use diff. lock

All that time spent winching myself out of tiny mudpits :shepicide:

E: Is there a way to get rid of the loose logs rolling around my carriage? They're just bashing up the truck while I drive around.

Yeah, in casual mode you can use differential lock in automatic, but in hardcore you have to switch to manual shift for it. (edit: added that info to the OP)

Loose logs rolling around your carriage? Not sure what you mean, but I suppose if you somehow got a log in your truck or something, it might disappear if you went back to your garage? Particularly if you changed your modules. Or maybe use another truck with a crane and try to like sweep them out of there.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 22, 2014

• Locked thread