Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

http://www.wimbledon.com/

The fortnight begins Monday, June 25 and ends Sunday, July 6. TV coverage being at 7am ET everyday on ESPN, switching to ESPN News 11:30am-4pm ET due to the World Cup, but you should just watch on http://www.watchespn.com/. Wimbledon also has complete radio coverage available on their website and app.

Here are the draws:

Top 8 Men's Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes)
Novak Djokovic 7/4
Andy Murray 10/3
Rafael Nadal 9/2
Roger Federer 11/2
Stan Wawrinka 20/1
Grigor Dimitrov 20/1
Tomas Berdych 33/1
Milos Raonic 33/1

Top 8 Women's Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes)
Serena Williams 5/4
Maria Sharapova 5/1
Petra Kvitova 12/1
Li Na 16/1
Simona Halep 14/1
Eugenie Bouchard 14/1
Victoria Azarenka 16/1
Agnieska Radwanska 16/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I would love to have one of the umpire jackets and Panama hats, but they're too drat expensive. I mean, look at this hot poo poo:

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Can't wait for the Rosol vs Nadal rematch.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I feel like Djokovic is maybe due a slam, it's hard to believe he's lost five of his last six finals. :psyduck: He's actually down to 6-7 in major finals now. Hard to pick a favorite for this one since you can put a question mark over all of them for one reason or another. I'd love for Murray to defend it, though.

Maybe time for Radwanska to win one of these too.

edit: Nadal actually has a pretty tough draw.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 21, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If Nadal gets knocked out before the semis, it's Fed's tournament to win since Djoker and Murray will wear each other out in their semi.

Serena is probably pissed about Roland Garros so I expect her to blow through the tourney, winning without dropping a set.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Can Rosol do it again? (I doubt it) But Nadal didn't look good in the first round and was terrible against Dustin Brown in Halle.

e: Well Rosol's a third of the way there!

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 26, 2014

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

drat if Nadal doesn't get a good first serve in he's just getting blown off the court. Rosol ends up in the middle of no mans land and Nadal is 3 feet behind the baseline running around.

Then Rafa turns it around. Still only a tiebreak and not a set win, but doing much better.

Democratic Pirate fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 26, 2014

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Rosol with a double fault to end the second set. Hopefully he can keep up his level for the rest of the game.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Gasquet/Kyrgios is awesome.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Kyrgios finally broke!

Gasquet had dozens of chances to break and deserves to lose.

e: he did it :australia:

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 26, 2014

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Wow. Super win for the youngster.

Love the hyper offensive game style.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I'm an extremely casual tennis watcher. Taking that into consideration, are there any real-time updates on whose matches are when? I'd love a tablet/smartphone app/site to allow me to follow my favourite players and it telling me when I need to be in front of a TV to watch them.

Wimbledon's site is kind of garbage for that. I mean, I can get the information out of it but I have to cross-reference several pages to find out.

edit: Actually it looks like the official Android app can do exactly that. Remains to be seen how the notifications work, though.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 26, 2014

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Dessel posted:

I'm an extremely casual tennis watcher. Taking that into consideration, are there any real-time updates on whose matches are when? I'd love a tablet/smartphone app/site to allow me to follow my favourite players and it telling me when I need to be in front of a TV to watch them.

Wimbledon's site is kind of garbage for that. I mean, I can get the information out of it but I have to cross-reference several pages to find out.

edit: Actually it looks like the official Android app can do exactly that. Remains to be seen how the notifications

The app is much better than the website for some reason.

All the mid tier guys I picked in my bracket are losing wtf. My gut tells me isner will have a good tourney but my brain disagrees.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Venus/Kvitova a good battle. I really like both of them but it would be awesome to see Venus have a good run here. On the plus side I don't think I've seen her look this healthy for years.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Dimitrov and Dolgopolov have a pretty good tilt going right now too. On serve in the 4th, Dolgopolov up 2-1.

Makes me wonder who the world #1 is going to be in like 5 years time. Nadal/Djokovic/Murray won't be entirely past it by then (though they'll all be around the same age that Federer is right now), but I can't see any of the new generation of guys like these two guys, Milos, Nishikori, Janowicz, etc being good enough to be sure that one of them is a future #1.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Man Dimitrov/Dolgopolov has cycled between being great and dreadful. The third set by Dimitrov with all the doubles was terrible and now Dolgo has done the same in the fourth. They have had some amazing rallies and winners though so it's kind of evening out. I want Dimitrov to win but it wouldn't be so bad if Dolgo wins either. Both guys are really fun to watch and I hope that they both start making a bigger impact in majors.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Berdych has been a whiny poo poo all through this match.

Oh gosh they're going to play the tie break. It's quite dark and I'm surprised the players didn't complain.

e: Cilic wins in the darkness!

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 27, 2014

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Berdych was being whiny but holy poo poo that tiebreak shouldn't have been played. When it gets so dark that even the tv cameras make it look dark you are in trouble. The cameras make everything lighter but it was still hard to see the ball even on tv.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
edit; wrong topic

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Petkovic vs Genie finally about to start :parrot:
Time to wake up!

EDIT drat you rain! :argh:

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 28, 2014

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Does the roof favor the top players who are playing on Center Court---i.e. their matches don't get delayed while others do, so they will get a normal amount of rest between matches while others might have to finish late into the night Saturday?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

^ yes. There's no play on Sunday, so there will be some funny scheduling problems coming if the single matches do not get finished today.

Nadal hasn't won a first set in three matches :psyduck: It's not like Kukushkin has played amazing tennis, he's just hanging in there.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Serena down a break to Cornet in the third set :munch:

e: down two breaks now :wth: Cornet serving for the match.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Cones!! :france:

Penalties Brazil vs Chile and Cornet wins against Serena. I like this saturday :getin:

EDIT Jara hits the post and Brazil is through.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I don't understand what happened to Serena in the second set. Before the rain break Cornet played well and was pushing Serena, after the break Serena stomped all over the first set and won easily. And then she looked confused, like she didn't even know what shot to play or where to hit it or how to hit it.

Shocking.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

So I guess Sharapova has to be the prohibitive favourite now. She's dropped all of 7 games through her first three matches.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

colonel_korn posted:

So I guess Sharapova has to be the prohibitive favourite now. She's dropped all of 7 games through her first three matches.

I really hope someone else wins it, but yeah. Sharapova does have a tough path to the final, her half is pretty stacked. Bouchard and Halep might both get a chance to avenge their FO loss, and Kerber, Cornet and Lisicki/Ivanovic are all there as well.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

So instead of playing on the middle Sunday, the organizers are just loving the bottom half of the mens draw. Anyone who was ready to play their fourth rounder has to wait until Tuesday. Someone like Nishikori, Isner, or Wawrinka may have to play three days in a row to make the semis. That seems kind of dumb.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

ChaosReaper posted:

So instead of playing on the middle Sunday, the organizers are just loving the bottom half of the mens draw. Anyone who was ready to play their fourth rounder has to wait until Tuesday. Someone like Nishikori, Isner, or Wawrinka may have to play three days in a row to make the semis. That seems kind of dumb.

I'm always annoyed by the middle Sunday rest day thing at Wimbledon. It makes sense to have play on a Sunday which the majority of people have off. I could've spent the whole day watching tennis yesterday; as it is I'm about to head to work Monday morning and will instead miss a whole day of tennis. And as you point out, they'd rather stubbornly stick to that tradition than adjust the schedule so it makes more sense because of the rain delay, I don't think there's a good justification for that kind of inflexibility.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Glare Seethe posted:

I'm always annoyed by the middle Sunday rest day thing at Wimbledon. It makes sense to have play on a Sunday which the majority of people have off. I could've spent the whole day watching tennis yesterday; as it is I'm about to head to work Monday morning and will instead miss a whole day of tennis. And as you point out, they'd rather stubbornly stick to that tradition than adjust the schedule so it makes more sense because of the rain delay, I don't think there's a good justification for that kind of inflexibility.

It's Britain. Their judges still wear powdered wigs. So don't be surprised at sticking to irrelevant traditions.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

why am I always overconfident with isner? he never plays to his ranking.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Jorghnassen posted:

It's Britain. Their judges still wear powdered wigs. So don't be surprised at sticking to irrelevant traditions.

I get frustrated with it every year all over again. :(

Also, Radwanska... I can't find a decent stream for the match so I don't know what's going on but she's 3-6 0-5 down to Makarova. Makarova is good, but Aga is better than this. :ughh: I guess she's choking again now that she's the top seed left.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Jorghnassen posted:

Actually, the powdered wigs and robes these days serve the purpose of rendering the judges visually distinct, meaning that they don't get recognised (and therefore harassed) outside the court room without them on :science:

OT: Tsonga looks like an incredibly strong player (and he is) and Djokovic is clowning him. Terrifying.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 30, 2014

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Glare Seethe posted:

Also, Radwanska... I can't find a decent stream for the match so I don't know what's going on but she's 3-6 0-5 down to Makarova. Makarova is good, but Aga is better than this. :ughh: I guess she's choking again now that she's the top seed left.

Halep is seeded ahead of her. :spergin:

Eugenie through to the quarters :woop: Looks like she'll get an extra day of rest over the winner of Sharapova/Kerber as well. Would be huge if she could avenge her FO loss to Sharapova.

Bottom half of the women's draw is all kind of weird. Kvitova is the only player seeded higher than 20, and three out of the four quarterfinalists are Czech.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

colonel_korn posted:

Halep is seeded ahead of her. :spergin:

Yeah I shamefully forgot about Halep even though I'm rooting for her (among others...). Top seed in the bottom half, then! Was.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

ArmZ posted:

why am I always overconfident with isner? he never plays to his ranking.

Hits 52 aces, loses the match, is John Isner.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

ChaosReaper posted:

So instead of playing on the middle Sunday, the organizers are just loving the bottom half of the mens draw.

It's not so easy to arrange play on Sunday at the last minute, gathering staff and police.

Unless your saying they should play on Sunday anyway.

I really like the day off, especially with the World Cup going. With the other slams it feels like I am doing nothing but watching tennis for a solid 14 days.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

What was that about with Wawrinka and Lopez?

Also Sharapova having her customary short-term loss of ability right now.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Wish she'd lose her voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Holy cow this game is incredible.

• Locked thread