Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speaking of weapons, I like the sound design for this game. It's different from a lot of the stock effects you often hear in games.

Still not sure why shooting regular, unaltered human mercenaries with a submachine gun causes what looks like flames to flare up from their wounds. But it looks so good that I don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

I always took that blue sparking effect in Fear games to mean that you hit something armored but still affected/damaged something.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Armadillo Tank posted:

Is this explained in the datapads etc? Also will you be posting that any of them?

The second post in the thread has Kadorhal's great work compliling the datapads, actually.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Samovar posted:

I always found the elevator scare more memorable.

I remember both, but where the Ladder scare got me to go "GAH!", I went through the Elevator scare without flinching.

Leading to the funny image of the Pointman just looking at Alma and going: "… Would you stop loving with the elevator? It's slow enough already."

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

Chat away. The arsenal in this game is admittedly limited. Sadly, the really cool guns like the plasma launchers and lasers of the world come with extremely limited ammo, to the point where if some of them weren't so drat cool or powerful they would be pointless. The pneumatic spike shooter gun does show up later, so look forward to that at the very least. Actually, the video after next we'll start to see some special weapons, though the game spreads them out so the next time you see one will be much later in the game.

I was rather disappointed in the special weapons, at least compared to FEAR. That and the shotgun this time around was no where near as fun. I think I pretty much ignored them entirely and just stuck to the assault rifle and the penetrator the entire time with the my third gun being whatever was handy.

Still disappointed you can't play FEAR 2 as an almost melee-only run like you can with FEAR. Probably the number 1 reason I've only run through it several times rather than 89 times.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Armadillo Tank posted:

I always took that blue sparking effect in Fear games to mean that you hit something armored but still affected/damaged something.

I guess, but it happens with the mercenaries who are in tactical turtlenecks, Kevlar, and nylon.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

I guess, but it happens with the mercenaries who are in tactical turtlenecks, Kevlar, and nylon.

For some reason this has me thinking every single merc you meet is a clone of Archer.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Calax posted:

For some reason this has me thinking every single merc you meet is a clone of Archer.

More like clones of "that tacticool guy from the CQB airsoft arena".

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I just checked it, and anyone interested in playing this game instead of or along with the LP can pick FEAR 2 and FEAR Platinum Edition (with the DLC) for half price during the Steam Summer Sale. For as scripted as the game is it is plenty of fun each time I play.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Because the forums were down for most of the week I was planninv on putting the next video up Friday and continue 3 a week updates from there. If people seem to want it I'm not opposed to posting videos Thursday and Friday.

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
Post both days! I've been itchin' for another update, and the forums being down made it even worse.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

thomawesome posted:

Post both days! I've been itchin' for another update, and the forums being down made it even worse.

Yes please. More FEAR is better FEAR.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I would not complain about having more videos to watch.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

biosterous posted:

I would not complain about having more videos to watch.

Neither would I. I have a firm love for this game.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Actually, I was thinking about it briefly and one thing which kinda... irked me becasue it seemed like a feature that didn't make sense in the story of the game (even though it was really cool to hear) was the clone soldiers actually talking to one another. I mean, don't get me wrong, there was nothing quite as cool as hearing 'FU- <slow-motion> -UUUCCC' as you kicked a hapless mook's head off... but weren't they all supposed to be under the psychic control of not-Hannibal? Why would they have needed to speak? Or was it actually covered some time oin the game and I was too distracted by explosions to see it?

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Samovar posted:

Actually, I was thinking about it briefly and one thing which kinda... irked me becasue it seemed like a feature that didn't make sense in the story of the game (even though it was really cool to hear) was the clone soldiers actually talking to one another. I mean, don't get me wrong, there was nothing quite as cool as hearing 'FU- <slow-motion> -UUUCCC' as you kicked a hapless mook's head off... but weren't they all supposed to be under the psychic control of not-Hannibal? Why would they have needed to speak? Or was it actually covered some time oin the game and I was too distracted by explosions to see it?

From what I remember of the first game, at least once it's mentioned that the main point of the psychic commander program is so he can have first-hand knowledge of the battlefield without being on the front line, rather than just being able to telepathically transmit commands. On top of that, and minor spoilers here, the intel in this game includes some excerpts from a brochure on the Replica - ATC was planning on selling the Replica (and, later, more psychic commanders) out to people looking to start their own PMCs and poo poo.

Basically, the commander is telepathic. The Replica themselves are not. And they don't need to be, either, given that Fettel was basically able to telepathically communicate with whoever he wants.

EDIT: Although, thinking about this, it still doesn't make sense that Fettel can telepathically talk to the Replica but not vice-versa, and yet the instant he takes a bullet to the brain they all go dormant. Might be more of a possession thing, since Fettel's ghost was able to reactivate them in the first game's expansions.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 27, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Alright, so I saw that no one had an issue with more videos. I try to give them a day or two spacing just so people don't feel like I'm flooding them with content, though if you guys like getting the episodes I have no problem providing.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Part 2: Hospital

Picking up where we left off last time, Becket finds himself in a strangely empty hospital and some poo poo has clearly happened here. There isn't a ton of new stuff in this video, but we do get our first taste of slow motion gameplay here.

You'll notice my adrenaline/fury/rage/bullet time bar is mostly full. Like the data pad entries the profile you play on saves if you picked up the various injectors in the game, which I've mostly picked up already. This means I get to use some extended slow-mo in early parts of the game. Realistically, you don't really need it that much early on and the game throws injectors at you through this section and the next two, so by the time you really need the slow-mo to deal with waves of tough enemies you have over half your bar filled. I thought about making this a challenge run and not using it once, but to be honest moves like the spin kick and the slide tackle are way more viable when you can move at normal speed and enemies are slow.

One of the really neat effects of the game, that I only half explain in like five videos is that the slow-mo creates some really cool visuals. Exploding grenades generate shockwaves, bullets leave Matrix style trails and the world gets a yellow hue while all the little effects like sparks, blood and so on get insane. The effort to get that to work over how something like Max Payne deals with slow motion makes FEAR feel a bit more fully realized in my opinion.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 27, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I wish the horror stuff didn't feel so completely tacked on in FEAR. I remember being a little unnerved by it until I eventually realized in the first game that it never actually poses any threat to the player and it's even less scary here. The gunplay is really fun, just the central premise with the whole ghost deal just never feels like it works compared to the combat.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

This bit always confused me. For some reason, I assumed you'd been there for some time, given that the first chapter seemed to end with you undergoing some pretty messed up surgery. But then you see the TV and it's been a couple of hours at most? Add to that the fact that you somehow have superpowers now, and it all just seems a bit odd.

I really hated those glowsticks in this game. They're almost exactly the same colour/shade as the reflex boosters in the first game, so every time I saw one, I'd get excited for a second or two. Disappointed in the shotgun in this game too: the first game's shotty was a thing of beauty: use it in slowmo and enemies just vaporised in a spray of arterial red. Fire it normally and it sounded like God clearing His throat. Here? Sounds like a butler politely trying to get your attention. Made me sad.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is it just me, or do the effects in this game feel superior to FEAR 3?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

This bit always confused me. For some reason, I assumed you'd been there for some time, given that the first chapter seemed to end with you undergoing some pretty messed up surgery. But then you see the TV and it's been a couple of hours at most? Add to that the fact that you somehow have superpowers now, and it all just seems a bit odd.

I really hated those glowsticks in this game. They're almost exactly the same colour/shade as the reflex boosters in the first game, so every time I saw one, I'd get excited for a second or two. Disappointed in the shotgun in this game too: the first game's shotty was a thing of beauty: use it in slowmo and enemies just vaporised in a spray of arterial red. Fire it normally and it sounded like God clearing His throat. Here? Sounds like a butler politely trying to get your attention. Made me sad.

Yeah, I get pulled by the walkie-talkie screens more because they have the right color for the boosters in this game, while the glowsticks look like datapads at an odd angle from a distance. I'll also agree on the combat shotgun, it just isn't that good a weapon. The second one you get, however, is a monster and will cause me more problems than any other gun in the game once enemies using it become regular.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Is the video supposed to end at 21:22? The ending is very abrupt.

Also I remember liking this game, but I've never actually finished it. Maybe I will this time around.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Inco posted:

Is the video supposed to end at 21:22? The ending is very abrupt.

Also I remember liking this game, but I've never actually finished it. Maybe I will this time around.

Yep, there just happens to be a fade at the end that I think cut off the very end of things. My mistake.

Edit: Upon further review, I cut way too early and forgot to redo the audio at the end. I'll fix that tonight and have a revised video up most likely tomorrow.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 26, 2014

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Oh hey, I recognized a sound effect from the first game (it played when Alma was at a doorway for a split second early on; that plays whenever you see flashes of Jankowski's face after his disappearance in the first game).

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I hated those glowsticks, too. Even in my second and third playthroughs I kept seeing them and immediately thinking either health booster (which isn't in this game) or datapad (all of which I had found by then). I did like the shotgun, though, but I agree with Lazyfire that the automatic one you get later is better in every way.

EDIT: Probably not as bad as late in my third playthrough, though, where I started equating workbenches with more ammo because I had just beaten Fallout: New Vegas after abusing the Hand Loader perk for a solid week.

Speaking of which, Interval 02 intel right here. I'll be going for one page per Interval, so people watching, say, after the LP is finished won't be completely spoiled to hell right at the start unless they choose to be.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 27, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I just checked all my encoded videos and something weird happened. The scripts that I used for the first encodings in the sandcastle cut and came back in at the right parts, but parts 2, 3 and 4 of the LP videos all stop and start about 12 seconds before they should. Basically, the end of episode 2 became the start of episode 3 and like episode 2 episode 3's ending was cut off and in episode 4 and episode 4 didn't end at the right time either. I'll strive to have something up for tonight on episode 2 to remedy the issues with it now. Sorry for the issues, I should have re-rewatched these before.

Edit:

I've gone and fixed my various issues with the editing. We should be all good to go and I've updated the link to the video in the OP and earlier in the thread. If you watched the old video don't worry about this one, it's just got another 12 seconds of me saying goodbye.

YouTube

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 27, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Always so fun hearing Zoey swear like a sailor. :allears:

Okay so back when I wanted to do an LP of this I actually made a small intro for it back when doing that was a bit of a thing (well at least for me it was) and it's available here for anyone interested to see it. It does have some minor spoilers of one future enemy that will appear in the next level I think but beware of that.

Tauraman
Feb 21, 2011
I don't understand what I'm doing here.
Man I don't know why I remember Alma being spookier, she's more adorable than anything else now.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This was such a mixed series. FEAR 1 is probably my favorite shooter, not because of its bizarre and hosed up plot, although I guess that helps, but because the gunplay was just so well done and satisfying, especially combined with the AI and its gibs. And then you get to 2 and it's just such a strange departure. Everything feels slower, perhaps because it was designed for consoles, and in place of the first one's relatively staid environments and designs (giant psychic coffin and laser rifle aside) there's a weird, kind of hokey sci-fi sheen over everything. And I will never, ever forgive them for neutering the shotgun and ruining the gib effects. I replayed it a few months ago and found it better than I remembered, but still kind of disappointing. And then you have 3, which is absolutely batshit, even by the standards of the previous titles, but so confident in its approach that it ends up being a ton of fun anyway. It helps that the shooting resembles the first game a lot more, and the coop is neat.

Anyway, good on you for doing this, I always felt like FEAR was a bit of an under appreciated franchise.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's really weird to me that a game whose gameplay strength is tactical shooting against surprisingly competent AI chose to go the ghosts and wizards angle, is all. I mean, even if you want to keep the paranormal concept, you could be fighting some insane doomsday cult, or something that tactical shooting actually does something against.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Calling it now FEAR3 with Cooked Auto and Lazyfire

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Calax posted:

Calling it now FEAR3 with Cooked Auto and Lazyfire

That would mean I'd have to play FEAR 3. gently caress that. I have seen the plot of that game and it is Dumb if not utterly retarded in how it tries to tie everything together.

My biggest problem with FEAR 2 has always been that it's kinda :geno:. It just works well but there really isn't anything that makes it really really stand out in the massive sea that is shooters.
FEAR 1 had the bonus of being a game with very tight and good level design and some very well scripted enemies which made it really enjoyable to play.
But FEAR 2 just doesn't have anything that makes it noticeable. It works well. But that's it. The gunplay is good and the AI reacts well enough and the level design is decent. But it just lacks that undefinable something to make it shine. Now it just sorta glows dully.

It should however be noted that I think FEAR 2 was one of the last games to be released for a considerable amount of time that didn't do regenerative health and had both health and armour pick-ups. Not to mention letting you carry more than two or 2 + side-arm weapons.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

That would mean I'd have to play FEAR 3. gently caress that. I have seen the plot of that game and it is Dumb if not utterly retarded in how it tries to tie everything together.

My biggest problem isn't the story, though it's terrible.

My biggest problem with FEAR 3 is that you have to unlock the slide kick, though it's easy to perform again. Fettel is fun to play as, though- levitating things to get out of bounds and possessing people to skip whole rooms are things that are fun. The minimechs are cool, too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FEAR 3 has enemies that are legit running zombies that show up a few levels in. They're a total departure from any of the past enemy styles. They even got their own "defend against the horde" multiplayer mode.

On the other hand, they reused the mechs, and I approve of any game with that.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

FEAR 3 has enemies that are legit running zombies that show up a few levels in. They're a total departure from any of the past enemy styles. They even got their own "defend against the horde" multiplayer mode.

On the other hand, they reused the mechs, and I approve of any game with that.

Don't forget the mode "loving Run!"

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I have to admit, I think FEAR 2 is actually my least favorite of the series. (Yes, even behind 3, which I'll get to in a minute.) I think FEAR had some almost perfect gunplay, and while not particularly spooky scary skeleton, I really really liked the general atmosphere of the game. I feel the same way with the unofficial expansions which I don't think get enough love. As for FEAR 3? It had a terrible plot that I honestly don't even remember and it wasn't scary in the least and was kind of dumb. But my first play through was with a close friend of mine and we had a loving blast. I still have great memories of playing as the second player and possessing enemies from across the screen, exploding them and just causing poo poo tons of general chaos. So much fun. FEAR 2 is certainly not bad, but it's just the one that I remember the least.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Funny enough, FEAR 2 is my favorite of the series. The first game has a more nostalgic atmosphere (I remember when it was first previewed and hyped up as being a legit horror game mixed with a solid FPS, with the early stuff involving the hallway of blood ceiling and objects being tossed around repeated in every gaming news channel), but the second is just more fun for me. I like the gunplay and the sound effects, and I like the more varied environments after FEAR started to get dull.

FEAR 3 kind of confuses me. The gunplay is fun, but it feels...ugly. I tried it on my PC (after initially beating over half of it on OnLive) and everything just seemed kind of muddy and blurry, so much so that I tried to look up graphical fixes because I was convinced that there was something wrong with my game. Turns out that's just how it looks.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Part 3: More Hospital

We're not quite out of the world's worst/largest hospital yet. More freaky poo poo is happening and we're still being guided along by voices in our earpiece/head to get to set locations, which, ironically, are the only places we seem to be able to go.

Not a ton to talk about this video, save for a new weapon. The flamethrower makes you ghost killing Mario, it fires a projectile ball of fire instead of a stream of lit fuel, sort of like a fire flower. I am not a huge fan of this weapon, but it is our first "unique" or Power weapon in the game. In addition to the standard shooter fare of pistols and submachine guns we have a few unique Sci-Fi weapons at our disposal. These guns generally have little ammo to start and generally don't have additional shots lying around the way the standard guns do. This means the game effectively limits your time with the unique and super fun weapons it has and that is a total shame because some are really fun and very helpful. This first one is sort of meh, it sets guys on fire, which some times kills them, sometimes it just burns them down a bit. It has a pretty wide splash radius as well, so hiding next to something when being shot at with it isn't always going to save you. The problem with that is that you almost only ever encounter these things in cramped locations, meaning on occasion your only option is to get shot straight in the face with a fireball that may eat half your armor. Not cool, FEAR 2. Not cool.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Oh, hey, this game. I'm kind of fond of both this one and the first instalment (and the third one seems a pretty competent coop shooter too). Always found the mood and settings to be pretty haunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I always liked FEAR 2. I thought it had a better atmosphere and progression than FEAR 1 and that opening bit actually made you give a poo poo about your squaddies, something FEAR 1 consistently failed at.

• Locked thread