Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I like how the body at 11:45, despite having been quite heartily evicerated still found the time to write 'who is she?' in his/her own blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speedball posted:

I always liked FEAR 2. I thought it had a better atmosphere and progression than FEAR 1 and that opening bit actually made you give a poo poo about your squaddies, something FEAR 1 consistently failed at.

The only squad guy I remember from the first game is the other Jankowski, and only because he kept popping up (literally in most cases) endlessly from the beginning. I mean, you kind of remember the guy when sudden visions of him become a fairly common jump scare.

Other ones? Barely care. The Asian chick is the only other one that I can picture in my head, and I don't even remember her name. I do remember that one of the non-canon expansion packs killed her off.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Well, there is your coordinator and that's it in addition to those two.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

chitoryu12 posted:

I do remember that one of the non-canon expansion packs killed her off.

Which is an reoccurring thing in both expansions and it's always kinda contrived and terrible.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Samovar posted:

I like how the body at 11:45, despite having been quite heartily evicerated still found the time to write 'who is she?' in his/her own blood.

Maybe he didn't. Imagine Alma's psychic chaos picking up the dying thoughts of the people she killed and manifesting them in blood scrawls on the floor. Kinda creepier if you think about it that way.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

chitoryu12 posted:

Other ones? Barely care. The Asian chick is the only other one that I can picture in my head, and I don't even remember her name. I do remember that one of the non-canon expansion packs killed her off.

That really is the only notable thing about her. Jankowski, as said, has his eyeless ghost pop up every three missions or so to whisper poo poo at you that you won't understand until you finish the game, while Betters is talking to you and every non-hostile NPC you meet throughout the whole game. Jin gets exactly five things: Examine that first corpse in the prologue. Make periodic statements on the search for Jankowski following the first really big explosion in the game. Examine the massive pile of blood and bones that used to be a Delta Force recon team. gently caress off entirely after that except for when you leave ATC and then the final cutscene of the game.

Anyway, FEAR 3. I liked the gunplay, but it still stands as the only game in the series I didn't buy myself (friend got it for me during the last summer sale), and the only one I haven't beaten even once, much less three or more times like the other two. Maybe it's the two-weapon limit. Maybe it's because I have yet to play as Fettel to see how cool that is. Maybe it's having to unlock the slide kick or the ability to hold more ammo. Maybe it's collectibles that don't actually give me anything other than achievement progress, as opposed to the health/reflex boosters and datapads of old. I dunno. I just know I played maybe three or four levels, replayed two in co-op, and then haven't touched it since. Kinda sad, too, because I really liked those dual machine pistols and the burst-firing rifle (that's a thing FEAR 2 sorely lacked; the ASP from the first game was in multiplayer, but that was long-abandoned even before GameSpy died).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I swear I'm working on some Snakefist material. Been busy with other things, but I will make it happen, Lazyfire!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Oops, SnakeFist will start, I swear. I actually have a whole thing typed up on my work laptop and I'm just too lazy to run it for ten seconds and send it to myself.

SnakeFist

So Blind Sally sort of reminded me people may be interested in what the hell the third post is supposed to be for. As mentioned in the game, SnakeFist is a massive action movie franchise in the FEAR universe that is just a sort of combination of all the major 80's action movie franchises. The game never really expands on that, but I thought it would be fun if posters here did by writing up Wikipedia-like articles, mock scripts and pretend excerpts from novels/books what have you. I was planning on starting things soon with my own serialized overview of the movie franchise, but if people want to start doing things now I'll gladly start linking posts in the third post, the SnakeFist Book Depository, so named after the site where SnakeFist killed the evil clone of JFK while time traveling.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Man, Jankowski's junk is going to be super psychic by the end of his treatment. That's one dong you do not want to mess with!

Two quick requests, if I may: first off, can you take a quick look at some of the magazines lying around? Some of them are kinda funny. There's one you briefly passed over called 'Giblets', a children's comic with a little girl in a red dress on a swing. Second, in the next chapter (I think) in the arena fight, take a moment after the battle to look around at the posters. There's one I remember with CPR instructions and another about bucket usage. Gave me a good laugh when I saw them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Only seen the first video so far, but is it just me or are these guys crazy unprofessional?

Like, Hudson would give them lectures on proper procedure unprofessional.

Bitching about stairs, not bothering to try and find something out about the hostiles even when it takes five seconds, splitting up and sending people off alone, every word out of Jankowski's mouth...

What I'm saying is, everyone's horrible horrible deaths will not come as a surprise.

Giragast
Oct 25, 2004
Inquire within about our potato famine!
Oh man, you didn't jump in the fountain at the very start :(
The response kept me playing through the whole thing, hoping for more.

You should maybe try noise removal in something like Audacity, there's a lot of hum in your commentary.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

FEAR 3 kind of confuses me. The gunplay is fun, but it feels...ugly. I tried it on my PC (after initially beating over half of it on OnLive) and everything just seemed kind of muddy and blurry, so much so that I tried to look up graphical fixes because I was convinced that there was something wrong with my game. Turns out that's just how it looks.

There's been a noticeable trend as time goes on to try to... I don't know how to put it; I guess 'soften' or 'fill' 3D scenes in games. Particle effects, bloom, post processing, etc; trying to obscure the hard lines of the geometry. There's a lot more of that in FEAR 3 compared to the earlier games, which end up looking sharp and clinical by comparison.

(I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to do, it's just that FEAR 3 doesn't do it as well as it could.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

Bitching about stairs

This is actually perfectly in tune with actual soldiers. Not even a SEAL would want to climb several dozen flights of stairs on the way to a gunfight, especially since it would tire them out right before a battle.

Having actually climbed close to 300 steps at once before (it was a lighthouse), I empathize with them.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Also, could you please wait a bit for the conversations the soldiers have to play out? Some of them can be fairly interesting.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Man, Jankowski's junk is going to be super psychic by the end of his treatment. That's one dong you do not want to mess with!

Two quick requests, if I may: first off, can you take a quick look at some of the magazines lying around? Some of them are kinda funny. There's one you briefly passed over called 'Giblets', a children's comic with a little girl in a red dress on a swing. Second, in the next chapter (I think) in the arena fight, take a moment after the battle to look around at the posters. There's one I remember with CPR instructions and another about bucket usage. Gave me a good laugh when I saw them.

I miss the parts in the spoilered bit, but yes, the game has some really neat background details I do want to show off in the near future.

Giragast posted:

You should maybe try noise removal in something like Audacity, there's a lot of hum in your commentary.

Yeah, I didn't notice it listening to it on my setup, but plugging headphones in to listen to something back at work revealed a hum. Episode 5 and beyond have a noise removal script on them.

Iceclaw posted:

Also, could you please wait a bit for the conversations the soldiers have to play out? Some of them can be fairly interesting.

When I can I will, it's one of those things where I did just listen to a lot of these during the practice run and sort of forgot people may want to hear more of them.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Part 4: Deeper

The first hour/hour and a half of FEAR 2 feels like it is much longer that it really is because unlike most of the game you basically wander around the same location with few, if any transitions to new environments that feel wildly different. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, the natural progression of the early levels is one of the things I can appreciate about the game; jolting the player between varied environments works for some franchises, but others having a mostly seamless transition between levels just makes sense.

For example, Call of Duty moving you around the world (or space) and between characters works for the story IW/Sledgehammer/Treyarch are trying to tell. At the start of FEAR 2 you can't have the characters hop around the world or even the city the game takes place in, considering they were kidnapped and whisked away to...wherever they are. You also can't just have them magically find an exit and send them to a new location. Instead the developers decided to have a pretty long section where you fight through a small army of people and escape the crazy place you woke up in.

That said, the environments in this first section of the game, thought they start to change, get pretty samey pretty quickly. The hospital sort of sets a tone of "a normal place with something wrong" that gives way to what we see towards the middle and end of the video: utilitarian military and industrial stuff. I really wish that the game spent less time in those environments and more time on the hospital style stuff. As it stands the game is sort of a 50/50 split between the two.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I take contention with you saying that the character files have no significance because there's a few of them that spell out or flesh out the context of the locations or missions you're in. At least two of the characters we've met so far are sending instagrams to each other and one upcoming level has some pretty significant files to find. Also, there IS a way to reset them all, you just need to reset your profile.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Speedball posted:

I take contention with you saying that the character files have no significance because there's a few of them that spell out or flesh out the context of the locations or missions you're in. At least two of the characters we've met so far are sending instagrams to each other and one upcoming level has some pretty significant files to find. Also, there IS a way to reset them all, you just need to reset your profile.

There is a truth to that, the intel is used to flesh out bits of the story, but are sort of secondary to everything in my opinion. I think the best analog I can think of (and I've used it before) are the diaries you find in the new Tomb Raider. Yes, they reveal things about the island and characters, but you don't need to hunt them down to understand the story beats or character motivation.

I was pretty sure that the profile erasing thing would work, and I remember from my time on the Xbox version of the game that the stuff you had picked up through previous playthroughs stuck with you unless you did it, but I had already had Kadorhal offer to post all the intel items in the thread when it launched and the slow motion juice pickups come at you so fast in the first hour or two that resetting those and the intel didn't seem like it would effect the overall quality or experience of the Let's Play.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

For the love of god use more grenades when they're clustered together like that, they keep handing them out to you like candy anyway so there's no point not to.

And I see you did the slow mo on that fucker who jumps around the corner as well. :D

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
I dunno if they simplified the armor system in this game, but in the first one armor versus health damage was handled by each individual weapon having a hidden stat for how well it penetrates armor. The well-named Penetrator was one of the best weapons in the game because it had high armor penetration on top of plentiful ammo, high accuracy and a good rate of fire - conversely, the shotgun had pretty bad armor penetration, but still dealt so much damage that it was a good choice for most situations anyway.

Also, talk of Alma apparently being nice to you by killing all the named characters that threaten you: One of the first game's expansions did something like that, where Alma basically had two personalities - the creepy thin one released from the Vault who's content on just murdering everyone she finds, and the little girl in red from the original game who also murders a lot of people but limits it to people that are threatening you.

Interval 03 intel right here. A lot of walkthroughs and poo poo I've seen count levels like this (where you're not told it's a new interval until about halfway through; it happens one more time after this video) as two separate levels, so by their reckoning there's a third level to Interval 02 named Withdrawal and then five or ten minutes in you switch over to the first level of Interval 03 which is also named Withdrawal. For my intel posts I'm going to just count levels like this as part of the latter interval, so it's nice and neat (every one gets at least two levels, except the first and one much later).

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 1, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

For the love of god use more grenades when they're clustered together like that, they keep handing them out to you like candy anyway so there's no point not to.

Use more grenades in general. This game has really pretty destruction and I think its graphics stand up well even in 2014.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Use grenades in slo-mo. The explosion effect in slo-mo is great.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Kadorhal posted:

Also, talk of Alma apparently being nice to you by killing all the named characters that threaten you: One of the first game's expansions did something like that, where Alma basically had two personalities - the creepy thin one released from the Vault who's content on just murdering everyone she finds, and the little girl in red from the original game who also murders a lot of people but limits it to people that are threatening you.

There's a bit in the first expansion where you're made aware of the fact that the Replica are massing forces to stop you a couple of areas over. Just as you get there, though, Alma massacres the entire squad, leaving the walls and floor covered in gore. All you hear is a ghostly voice telling you you're safe now. It's probably the best moment from the otherwise lacklustre expansions

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Officially requesting a greatly expanded use of melee - I know it's rarely the right tool for the job, but there's nothing that feels quite so great as rounding a corner, scissor-kicking two dudes in the face, punching out the third then laying waste to whatever is left with the shotgun.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 1, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

For all the wondering about Alma and whether she wants to help you or not and the stuff on the "little girl vs. adult" that the first game expanded on.....I'm just waiting for LP to finish so I can see everyone new's reactions and I will say no more about that.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'm expecting reactions on a par with Drakengard.

Unrelated, I just played that section with the exploding pipe and the ladder. I ran up to the guy an meleed him in slow mo. I don't know if it was scripted or what, but as he died he fired his gun and the pipe exploded anyway. Seems like it's scripted to happen no matter what.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I'm expecting reactions on a par with Drakengard.

Unrelated, I just played that section with the exploding pipe and the ladder. I ran up to the guy an meleed him in slow mo. I don't know if it was scripted or what, but as he died he fired his gun and the pipe exploded anyway. Seems like it's scripted to happen no matter what.

I didn't think to do that, but yes, I'm not surprised it still happens, the game is highly scripted if you watch closely.

I just wanted to mention that I'm reading the suggestions and taking them into account for the next recording. More melee, more grenades, letting conversations play out and other points people have made will be expanded upon. The next few videos were recorded a week ago but have elements of those in them already, but video eight on I'll be paying more attention to what the thread was hoping to see more of. I refrained from recording this weekend to incorporate things better, actually.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Are you recording next to an open window or something? I could swear I'm constantly hearing birdcalls in the background and I'm pretty sure that's not the game.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Sindai posted:

Are you recording next to an open window or something? I could swear I'm constantly hearing birdcalls in the background and I'm pretty sure that's not the game.

It's actually eight or so feet from my desk,I'm surprised none of my other LPs have had that in the background as I only started doing these after I bought this house with the giant gently caress all tree outside the window. I'll close the window in the future as the birds are especially interested in singing in the morning this year.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

I have this feeling the lack of use of grenades is because they are as cumbersome and difficult to use as the first game. I almost never used the frag grenades. Sticky grenades and prox mines both had there uses though. In one of the expansions they added auto turret grenades that were pretty rad too.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I don't use them too much due to the PC controls being so horrible. I wound up switching the flashlight ('F') and grenade ('G') buttons, because, as they were, I'd go to use a 'nade and end up startling the enemy with an accidental rave party.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lazyfire posted:

It's actually eight or so feet from my desk,I'm surprised none of my other LPs have had that in the background as I only started doing these after I bought this house with the giant gently caress all tree outside the window. I'll close the window in the future as the birds are especially interested in singing in the morning this year.

Please include them, I'm one of the few people who were legit creeped out by FEAR 2 :(

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
For some reason the scene in which that soldier gets slammed into the wall by psychic force and then bounced off everything always stuck with me and felt more effective than the fire happy Alma of the first game. It just really encapsulated the idea that Alma is some sort of titanic entity and that if she wanted to she would just wipe you out.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

ZeusCannon posted:

For some reason the scene in which that soldier gets slammed into the wall by psychic force and then bounced off everything always stuck with me and felt more effective than the fire happy Alma of the first game. It just really encapsulated the idea that Alma is some sort of titanic entity and that if she wanted to she would just wipe you out.

You know, what I think would have made it scary is if the DIDN'T have that tentacle reach out and grab him - for some reason that makes it seem... hokey. I reckon it would be much more terrifying if you saw him struggling against something, then get dragged off by apparently nothing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh, nice, when you go to the mission select, it shows you how many items you found out of how many total. That's useful!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Samovar posted:

You know, what I think would have made it scary is if the DIDN'T have that tentacle reach out and grab him - for some reason that makes it seem... hokey. I reckon it would be much more terrifying if you saw him struggling against something, then get dragged off by apparently nothing.

It would've been cool if they'd had it flicker in and out like the visions/seizures you get: like you can see there's something there, but the sheer idea of it gives your mind a giant 404 error.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Lovecraft, FEAR ain't.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I don't use them too much due to the PC controls being so horrible. I wound up switching the flashlight ('F') and grenade ('G') buttons, because, as they were, I'd go to use a 'nade and end up startling the enemy with an accidental rave party.

Yeah, one of the first things I had to do (and I'll mention this every chance I get) was to unfuck the controls this game starts you with. I didn't have that much of an issue with the console version, but the PC controls are just plain bad. Why is Shift used to toggle aim? Why is Ctrl used to start sprinting? why is Left Alt used to start slow-motion? Why is the middle mouse button used to bring up a weapons wheel no one playing on a PC will ever use? What is every game's obsession with using G for grenades and something less common on F? With some of the moves you are trying to do, like the slide kick, that setup is insane. You would have to hold left control and W and then additionally hit C and right mouse to do it. If you put your hand on your keyboard now and look at how that changes where your placement is you realize getting back to the correct form to move around again may take a second and you'll have to more or less build up muscle memory to do it right. Heaven help you if you want to slow-mo during the run.

I'm starting to think I really like PC gaming because I can gently caress around with the controls until I feel like things are in the right spot. Shift should be sprint, Q should be your gimmick button (spotting in BF4, actions in Payday 2, slow-mo here) and F should be grenades. G is a togglable action button like the flashlight or changing seats or something. That's just how my mind works in these games.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I can recall the FEAR 2 default controls being shonky but that's always been a think with FEAR 1 as well as I recall jump was unbound by default in that game. :v:
I would imagine G is used for grenades just because it starts with G. It's one of those settings I've just become used to and learned to be decent in using. Although in most cases whenever it's supported I tend to bind grenades to the second side-button on my mouse. Really quick access there. Of course the older the game gets the less chance you have of those buttons being support.

Should be noted that my PTT for VOIP is on the first side-button and I can't imagine myself doing it any other way now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

So after our recent chat I decided to give this a watch, and I have to say that the game doesn't appear to be nearly as dumb as I expected! Also, since we talked a bit about Monolith and Shogo, I kept an eye out for references or things like that. Turns out, I found one right off the bat.

quote:

Armacham Technology Corporation

Armacham got its start with the manufacture of commercial satellites and ground-based communication systems. Eventually, they would expand to encompass civilian and military vehicle manufacture, musical equipment, security systems and, predictably enough, mobile combat armors.
Straight from the info dump for my Shogo Lp :v:

• Locked thread