Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I really hate that F.E.A.R. 2 doesn't recognize my Logitech G500 5-button mouse, which would have helped make the controls a little easier to use. F.E.A.R. 2 could also have used a lot less of the button mashing QTE's, which do not mix well with a mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Tin Tim posted:

So after our recent chat I decided to give this a watch, and I have to say that the game doesn't appear to be nearly as dumb as I expected! Also, since we talked a bit about Monolith and Shogo, I kept an eye out for references or things like that. Turns out, I found one right off the bat.

Straight from the info dump for my Shogo Lp :v:

If I remember right, the MOD-3 rocket launcher and MP-50 repeating cannon from the first FEAR are basically taken straight from Shogo.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm glad to see they've kept the best thing from the first game, the FEARsics engine. I'm kinda sad they didn't keep the same weapons since the two games are happening one after the other with a five minute overlap. The new ones look a bit too sci-fi and overgreebled compared to the pretty clean and functional designs from the first game.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Kadorhal posted:

If I remember right, the MOD-3 rocket launcher and MP-50 repeating cannon from the first FEAR are basically taken straight from Shogo.
I took a quick look at them, and while they're not straight copies, they sure are very similar to the Bullgut and the Juggernaut!

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Is this the game with the thing that you can ride which is like that game that just mentioned? Is that just F3AR?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Armadillo Tank posted:

Is this the game with the thing that you can ride which is like that game that just mentioned? Is that just F3AR?

Yes.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I've hinted at it in the past, but I was thinking of doing something really different with this thread and the in-universe Snakefist franchise. At the end of the day it could be a lot of fun or it could be really bad, but that's going to depend on what people do. I'm encouraging people to write Snakefist fan fiction, so to speak. mocked up Wikipedia articles, script pages, novel excerpts and whatever else you can come up with works. I'll keep a library of sorts in the third post of what people put together and post in the thread. I plan on providing a general overview and everyone else can use that to springboard ideas off that. This is one of those things that either works really well or fails totally, so let's find out which it will be:

SnakeFist (Multimedia Franchise)
This page is for the multimedia franchise. For the first movie in the original trilogy see here. For the first movie in the rebooted franchise see here. For the character SnakeFist see here.

SnakeFist is a multimedia franchise spanning novels, comics, video games, TV series and a two US film franchises that are considered the “canonical” Snakefist while other media is considered expanded universe or, in the case of the “Batman and Snakefist” ongoing comic series part of an alternate universe. Along with these, there are several non-US produced Snakefist movies that are also outside of the scope of the official story and universe by decree of copyright holder Warner Brothers.

The SnakeFist franchise began as a series of action movies written and directed by low-level Warner Brothers executive Hal Bouchard credited under the name Rock Mayhew. Bouchard had spent a decade making underground films before being hired by Warner in 1975 and was given a budget of $1 million dollars to film SnakeFist in July 1977 as part of a company policy to attempt to produce small hits through a subsidiary called Transition Films. According to Bouchard the idea for SnakeFist was conceived after an actor described part of the book First Blood to him during a break while shooting the short film Among the Bodies in 1973. Bouchard worked on the script in earnest for the next few years, shelving a near-final draft when he began working for Warner Studios. In a strange twist of fate, Warner held the rights to a First Blood movie and sold them off just a month before Bouchard was hired.

In Bouchard’s drafts SnakeFist was a former CIA operator in Vietnam who resigned under unexplained circumstances before the story begins and travels the country at random. In 2006 Bouchard explained “Realistically, I needed a reason for no one to know his name, no one to know who he was. He was supposed to be the veterans who came home and found themselves good at things that weren’t allowed in normal society.” SnakeFist’s story changed much between the drafts and the script for the first movie, changing him into an undercover CIA agent attempting to root out Communist cells in the US instead of being the disaffected drifter of early drafts.

SnakeFists’s Effect on Film
SnakeFist is primarily a film franchise that began in 1978 with the release of SnakeFist, which concerns SnakeFist searching for a fellow CIA agent in rural Ohio and completing the job the original agent had failed to finish. While the first movie was shot on a $1 million budget by what was more or less a shell company of Warner Brothers, the following movies would have larger budgets and release under Warner proper. By the time the original series of movies ended with SnakeFist 5: Breakneck in 1988 Writer/Director Hal Bouchard was working with a $20 million budget and attracted major stars instead of the no-name actors he had to hire due to the low budget of the first movie. The franchise itself would kickstart the careers of David Herbert, Earl Bowie, Joan LeBarron and Doug Parish and gave Bouchard the ability to pursue whichever projects he wanted to as a director and gave him clout in the Warner boardroom.

Despite making his name as an action movie director, he had a long career prior to the SnakeFist franchise as a director of small plot driven movies and preferred to work on those over the SnakeFist movies. Films like The June Crisis and political thriller The Beast of Washington would earn him widespread post-SnakeFist critical acclaim, though Bouchard would never claim a Best Director or Best Film Academy Awards. Of the major awards, Bouchard was only ever nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Director once for Vulture in 1991; considered one of his weaker movies. Many theories exist for why Bouchard would never get nominated, but many point to a 1985 rant against the Academy that appeared as part of an article about him in the New Yorker having soured relations between him and the Academy for many years.

The original series of SnakeFist movies was said to have inspired a number of subsequent action franchises. The general action of the first movie supposedly influenced the re-writes of the First Blood script. SnakeFist II: The Tower in 1981 saw SnakeFist deployed to clear Russian affiliated terrorists out of an unnamed skyscraper as they attempted to steal the blueprints for the US’ newest planes and missiles. While the movies are wildly different, many point to this movie influencing 1988’s Die Hard. Roderick Thorpe, the writer of Nothing Lasts Forever; the novel the first Die Hard movie is based on, did attempt to sue Warner for seemingly using the concept of that book without attribution. Warner won a court settlement in 1986 by playing the now famous Rooftop Motorcycle Chase sequence at the end of the film and pointing out that the novel didn’t have any motorcycles, CIA blimps, fire ax vs. harpoon fights, nor a single use of the phrase “gently caress You.” Judge Hailey Middleton threw the case out later that same day.

Warner did end up suing Universial in 2003 over the 2001 movie The Fast and the Furious which Warner claimed was a close copy of SnakeFist 5: Breakneck in which SnakeFist entered into illegal underground races to uncover a dangerous ring of Columbian drug dealers using the street races as a way to get the police and authorities to devote manpower to the races instead of their drug dealing operations and other criminal activities. The endings are incredibly similar, as SnakeFist hands the keys to his car over to Aaron Kent, the American ringleader whom he had formed a friendship with so he could make an escape. Unlike the ending of the first Fast and the Furious, Kent doesn’t make it far as SnakeFist produces a detonator and mutters his famous “gently caress You” before hitting the button and causing the car to explode off screen. This last point was part of Universal’s defense, along with the lack of scenes where Snakefist and other riders played chicken in the subway system and the monster truck race on the highway during rush hour. Warner would end up withdrawing the suit and paying the court fees.

SnakeFist IV released in 1986 is often considered the fan favorite movie, nicknamed “SnakeFist’s Empire Strikes Back.” by adoring fans. The film sends SnakeFist to New York City to track down a ring of weapons dealers who have acquired material to make a nuclear weapon. The film finishes with a 22 minute seemingly single shot car chase that becomes a running gun battle through the Alphabet City area of Manhattan. One of the largest debates over the movie is if there are cuts in the sequence or not, as it appears seamless, but the use of extreme close ups on faces or guns firing has led to a belief that Bouchard inserted cuts at key moments. This scene was credited by the director of HBO drama True Detective for the inclusion of a long tracking shot during the first season of the show, which was well received by critics and SnakeFist fans alike.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Does project harbinger ever get explained or should I give an explanation out of my memory from the preorder book?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Calax posted:

Does project harbinger ever get explained or should I give an explanation out of my memory from the preorder book?

There's an intel item late in the game that actually explains it pretty well, along with a bunch of other projects.

The basics of it are that Harbinger was another attempt at finding possible psychic commanders by finding psychically capable people to operate on and increase their latent abilities.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Part 5: Arena Fight

This video introduces the Replica Soldiers to FEAR 2, they're really just clones who are being bossed around by a psychic commander and don't really differentiate from the security guys we've been fighting up until now. They use the same AI, have around the same damage model and have a few basic designs, so there's not much they add gameplay wise. The big difference is armament. The Replicas all carry Assault Rifles, Automatic Shotguns or special weapons. They also happen to show up along with several new grenade types, all of which are pretty drat useful, with the proximity mine being one of my favorites just because you can really mess with people in the right spots with them. This episode runs a bit longer than most others (and I went through again to make sure I didn't have any episode breaks in it I forgot about), but it's worth it because we finally get out of the hospital/complex we spent four episodes on. Truthfully, this is the longest we'll spend in a single location for some time, most parts of the game are a bit more varied over longer periods of time.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
One neat touch is that if you repeat the Replica arena fight (by getting killed, for instance), it's random which pods pop up in each wave, which makes it futile to try and cheese the fight by knowing where the solders pop up each time.

The door the Power Armour comes out of also depends on which valve you turn second. That in itself is tricky, because normally, you would expect that such a boss would only show up on the THIRD valve you turn, but no, it’s the second. Tricky!

Both the submachinegun and the assault rifle have multiple fire modes. The SMG has a burst mode, which fires three round bursts with each round of the trigger, and the rifle has a single-shot mode, which is actually a bit more accurate, so it's a bit easier to get headshots with.

FEAR 2 does a very good job with keeping the environments fresh, and it gives you new weapons at a slow, but steady trickle, so that your arsenal doesn't stay stale either.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
SnakeFist III: Viper Fang is a 1984 American science fiction action film with body horror elements that is the third installment in the popular SnakeFist franchise. It is the only film in the original US film franchise that wasn't directed or written by series creator, Hal Bouchard. It also diverges wildly from the lore established in earlier films and was quickly retconned when Bouchard returned to the series with SnakeFist IV. It is known as SnakeFIIIst in Europe and Australia and SnakeFist III in Asia.

Hal Bouchard had had a falling out with Warner Brothers in 1982 for undisclosed reasons that remain the subject of speculation today. The 2004 documentary, Behind The Fist attempts to address this and suggests that a tryst between Bouchard and the Warner Brothers CEO at the time was a factor, but the notion has been dismissed as rumour mongering. Whatever the reason, Bouchard was dismissed before filming of the third SnakeFist film while producers sought a new director. They found one in David Lynch, who had recently parted ways with Universal Pictures over creative differences in the production of the much maligned Dune film. Lynch took to the script and filming began almost immediately. Impressed with his work on The Elephant Man, Warner Brothers Studios gave Lynch complete directorial freedom to give a more experimental and artsy twist on the concept of SnakeFist. The result, in 1984, was a film that barely resembled the original script, alienated fans and critics, and was a box office bomb.

Plot
In the film, SnakeFist is seen living a life of peace, working as a labourer in a small company town in Arizona built up to support a large pharmaceutical plant. Things go awry when it's revealed that the pharmaceutical company, enVenom Inc., is knowingly conducting experiments on the residents of the town to test their new medicines. When the township tries to protest and notify the authorities, the company's paramilitary force "pacifies" them, leaving no survivors--except SnakeFist. In the ensuing attack, SnakeFist is mutated by enVenom's new chemical, mutating his right fist into the literal head of a snake, whom he names "Venom Fang". Subsequently, SnakeFist goes on a one-man killing spree, working his way through the company ranks, offing paramilitary soldiers and executives alike. Along the way he encounters a number of grotesque mutations, failed experiments of enVenom Inc., that he leads in an uprising. The movie climax has SnakeFist dueling Wolfgang Schmidt, Jr., the CEO of enVenom Inc., who has mutated himself to have two fists that are wolf heads. Notably, SnakeFist does not once utter his trademark "gently caress you".

Critical Reception
SnakeFist III was reviled by critic and fan alike. Common complaints were that it diverged too much from the source material or that the tone was all wrong. Critics cited the overuse of internal monologues and monsters in suits as issues that took away from the original style of the earlier films. A few critics enjoyed the film, claiming that though while it wasn't a cohesive experience, individual scenes really shone. The soundtrack and sound effects are also cited as a highlight, especially enhanced by Lynch's nightmarish, and at times, psychotropic style for the film.

Wolfgang Schmidt Jr.'s line at the climactic battle "two head fists are better than one" was nominated for a Razzie Award in 1985. The film was also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Sound.

Legacy
After SnakeFist III bombed, Bouchard was hired back on by Warner Brothers. Whatever their problems, they seemed to be forgotten and never divulged to the public. Bouchard immediately got to work on a new SnakeFist movie and used to script originally meant for SnakeFist III: Viper Fang. The result was the simply titled SnakeFist IV, which went on to smash box office records and become a fan favourite, often being referred to as SnakeFist's Empire Strikes Back. SnakeFist IV retconned the events of SnakeFist III, taking place immediately after the events of SnakeFist II: The Tower. For the most part, SnakeFist III is entirely forgotten, being left out of many SnakeFist boxsets, its existence known by many only for the fact that the third film is absent from the collection.

When asked about SnakeFist III: Venom Fang, David Lynch said he "didn't know what [he] was thinking". He lamented giving up on Dune and wondered what the result would have been if he stuck with it. He imagines the end result would have been much better.

SnakeFist III has seen a resurgence of popularity in the early 2000s, often being the subject of "Bad Movie" nights at small cinemas. It is often seen today played alongside the likes of Troll 2 and The Room.

Surprisingly, the concept of SnakeFist as an action hero with a literal snake for a fist resurfaced in the 1994 CGI animated children's cartoon SnakeFist Legacy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That was a brilliant write-up, Blind Sally.

Hmm...

Though I do seem to recall a B-movie about a guy who uses Lizard DNA to regrow his right arm and it become a detachable killer lizard arm with a tail.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts › Cinema Discusso > SnakeFist: Legend

biosterous posted:

In this thread we discuss the most recent offering in the SnakeFist franchise! SnakeFist: Legend (SF:L) is a licensed spinoff produced by Somsak Techaratanaprasert and distributed by Sahamongkol Film International, so it's not canon, but it's still worthy of bearing the SnakeFist name imo.

Picking up off a dangling plot thread from SnakeFist 5: Breakneck, our hero follows up on the coded message he found in that red box in Kent's back seat (:ms:). It leads him to to Australia, where he ends up fighting in an underground deathmatch tournament. We get to see more of SnakeFist's human side than usual, when a comedic misunderstanding forces him to take care of the young child of the romantic interest.[...]

Redbox Mystery posted:

Huh, this one flew under my radar somehow. I'll need to check it out.

poiuytrewq posted:

Okay so I get that it doesn't count as part of the :airquote: official :airquote: SnakeFist canon because it's not a WarnerBros movie, but do you guys really have to continue that stupid "NO SUCH MOVIE" joke? It's not like we're talkinga bout the Matrix movies, SF:L is a Good Movie.

loving goons, man. :colbert:

NukeTheMoon posted:

frankly idgaf about canon, in this movie snakefist spinkicks a baby carriage out of the way of an oncoming car, it's pretty much the best thing

also the kid's first words were "gently caress you" and it was great :iia:

Blind Sally posted:

[...] Now, I'm pretty sure that most people think SF:L is just another dumb action movie, made in an attempt to grab some quick cash off the SnakeFist franchise. But they're wrong. This movie is a work of art with an almost-Shakespearean level of depth to it. I'm going to break it down over a series of posts, starting with the introductory monologue [...]

biosterous fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 3, 2014

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Not enough Zizek references to be a believable CD thread.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

chiasaur11 posted:

SuperMechaGodzilla posted:

Now taking the SnakeFirst series from a Marxist perspective

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
^^^ haha, crud, beaten!

chiasaur11 posted:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There definitely is logic being voiced in the thread where the solution to a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with fists that can deflect bullets. Maybe the SnakeFist logic where the solution to crime is to literally kill every criminal (and still ignore the systemic problems that create criminals and crime bosses).

Since we're on Zizek, I'm going to point out how the 'communist' solution to the issues presented metaphorically in the film have been consistently dismissed as impossible. The trouble is that this conclusion is based entirely on the symbolic network that makes up the film's fight choreography 'reality' and defines what is possible. It's ideology - and specifically an ideology of 'harmony', as pointed out earlier.

"And it is here that ideology performs its supreme conjuring trick. What ideology aims at is a fantasmatic re-staging of the encounter with the Real in such a way that the impossibility of Society is translated into the theft of society by some historical Other [...]

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

OK, one thing I have to critique about this game right now - what the hell is with the power armour's movement sound? It's the screechiest metal-on-metal thing I've heard in a long itme. Makes it sound like it's gonna... well, seize up or fall apart.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I really hate that F.E.A.R. 2 doesn't recognize my Logitech G500 5-button mouse, which would have helped make the controls a little easier to use. F.E.A.R. 2 could also have used a lot less of the button mashing QTE's, which do not mix well with a mouse.

I have the same mouse and I use X-mouse button control to get around that problem.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I was wondering when the SMG joke was going to appear in that CD "post". :v:

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
I've been waiting for one of the enemies to say it so I could do this; my siblings and I always wondered how it was that Beckett could be "too fast" while holding still. We eventually realised there was only one possible answer.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

biosterous posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts › Cinema Discusso > SnakeFist: Legend

I never would have thought someone would do this when I first considered opening up the SnakeFist thing. Way to go.

MShadowy posted:

I've been waiting for one of the enemies to say it so I could do this; my siblings and I always wondered how it was that Beckett could be "too fast" while holding still. We eventually realised there was only one possible answer.

Hope you don't mind, but I added this to the second post.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Lazyfire posted:

Hope you don't mind, but I added this to the second post.

If I'd had a problem with such I wouldn't have posted; hope you like it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I will never ever get tired of the "You're like free pizza at an anime convention" line. It's so good.

So far my only contribution to the Snakefist theme is: Snakefist XXX an Axel Braun parody.
Possibly Snakefister for a cheesier porn parody title.
After that I'm all out of ideas currently.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Lest we forget:

I'm thinking of a SnakeFist: Legacy thing, but I dunno if I should do it Wiki-style or 'tedious fan' style. Got an idea brewing at least.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If I were the game creators, I would have given a bonus to whoever made that line.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Hooray, people liked my thing!

(you misspelled my name in post 3, though. b-i-o not b-o-i)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

MShadowy posted:

If I'd had a problem with such I wouldn't have posted; hope you like it.

I'm never sure of the protocol on this because none of my previous LPs have inspired stuff like that.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Lazyfire posted:

Part 5: Arena Fight

This video introduces the Replica Soldiers to FEAR 2, they're really just clones who are being bossed around by a psychic commander and don't really differentiate from the security guys we've been fighting up until now. They use the same AI, have around the same damage model and have a few basic designs, so there's not much they add gameplay wise.

Which is kind of a let-down, because in FEAR 1, Replica were noticably better at fighting, coordinating and communicating than the security goons. They used the full capabilities of the IA, while the guards mostly hold their grounds.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

Which is kind of a let-down, because in FEAR 1, Replica were noticably better at fighting, coordinating and communicating than the security goons. They used the full capabilities of the IA, while the guards mostly hold their grounds.

I suppose you could justify it in-universe: the replicas in FEAR were under Fettel's control, and he'd spent his entire life being trained in small-unit strategy. The Replicas here are under the control of either abominations or Alma's subconscious, who seem to act as sort of passive processing relays rather than actual commanders. Their Replicas can attack and defend, but they don't have Fettel's ability to see and exploit the battlefield from a tactician's viewpoint.

Personally, I think it was a missed opportunity to have the Replicas start to channel the minds of the Abominations/Alma just to freak out the player a bit. Just little things, like occasionally have them bellow out serial killer stuff in their normal "cover my flank" voices.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

The replica were also better at judging when to advance and when to retreat, the guards were either overenthusiastic or panicking.

Which was pretty cool after the calm and competent replica because these enemies acted stupid and uncoordinated and hosed up often.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The unique thing about the Replicas is that while they're under psychic "control", they're not just remote controlled drones. They have intelligence and some initiative, and they do things like curse when grenades land nearby or make sounds of pain.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
So, lots to talk about here. First things first, F3AR. I hated it. The look of the game was godawful, the "plot" (yeah, I know, the plot of FEAR isn't its strongest point) was... Bad. Not even awful bad, or so bad it's good, just... Bad (Especially considering what it followed from)... And the only "good" bits were the shooting and the murdering and associated activities. FEAR 1 was nice. Again, no special marker here, but nice. FEAR 2... Well, Cooked Auto and Lazyfire aren't the only people who thought they'd quickly run out of things to say about the world, even though there are little touches. Some of the X-Rays in the Hospital, for example, even though they're repeated, are vaguely interesting. But there's not a whole lot to say about the game itself, being competent with good AI (a hallmark of the FEAR games), a passable plot, and it at least had this middle ground between "too OTT" for F3AR and "too drat understated" for FEAR 1.

The control scheme is indeed a bit crazy, although it's by no means the first FPS I've seen which has "Shift" as zoom instead of run, among other fun control scheme things... It still bugs the hell out of me when people do this, however.

As far as I remember, it is actually possible to explode the flamers by hitting their tanks, but it really isn't worth it, because it takes nearly as many bullets as it would to body-shot them. No fun, little point, because they explode much like the guys who have the easier backpack tanks. Abominations suck on many, many levels (almost as much as the speedy guys from the first game, and indeed, any other guys whose theme is "You have to use slo-mo to counter how loving fast they are"... Dead Space 2, I'm looking at you in particular.)

Obviously, I can't say a whole lot about the plot, because a lot of it hasn't been revealed yet, but I'm really glad that Armacham finally get some real poo poo sent their way, because they are cacklingly evil (in the :moreevil: Dr. Regal :moreevil: sense) and stupid (same) in a way that the Umbrella Corporation can only dream of. Either way, I'll try and remember Snake Fist related things and post when I have the time, and the LPs been enjoyable so far.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Iceclaw posted:

I think the canon reason why the tactics are similar if not the same is because you are facing off with Armacham black ops teams instead of security forces here, so their better trained and have better effectiveness.

If anyone was wondering if you are subject to location based damage in this game: you are. During my test run of the game I was headshot with no armor by a guy with an SMG and it killed me before I could turn around. Dangerous stuff.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Armacham is an absolutely hilarious mix of evil and incredibly, incredibly stupid.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I finished up my replay of FEAR 2 today on Hard (which is indeed Hard) to get all the last intel and boosters I missed. On Hard, you can take about as much damage as the enemies can (not much), and Medkits pretty much vanish from the game completely about three levels before it ends.

JamieTheD posted:

So, lots to talk about here. First things first, F3AR.

I just started FThreeAR today, and have finished the first four levels (probably about half the game)

There's a lot to hate about FThreeAR. The pacing is pretty off, for some reason the first two levels are set in *****Mexico***** for no reason whatsoever (and are essentially entirely shooty and without tense sections), the game is full of unremovable XP/achievement popups to show how much XP you've gotten - which is important because it's how you unlock things like a longer slo-mo bar, bigger ammo capacity, more grenades and stuff.

The storytelling has removed all the intel items/phone messages and instead has replaced them with cutscenes. Since the protagonist is silent, that really feels odd.

Playing the third game really makes me appreciate the second game a LOT more. The enemy merc chatter is just awful and makes them seem dumb.

However, there's something that I really, REALLY wanted to do after FEAR 2, and if FThreeAR lets me do that, then I will consider the game fully redeemed. EDIT: Finished F3AR. It didn't let me do the thing. Game not redeemed.

quote:

Obviously, I can't say a whole lot about the plot, because a lot of it hasn't been revealed yet, but I'm really glad that Armacham finally get some real poo poo sent their way, because they are cacklingly evil (in the :moreevil: Dr. Regal :moreevil: sense) and stupid (same) in a way that the Umbrella Corporation can only dream of.

YES. This, a thousand times yes.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 4, 2014

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
I rented F3AR and played it in split screen co op with a buddy and we had a pretty good time but never played it again. It definitely seemed like it was designed to be co op before single player, but even if you can get somebody to play it with you I would recommend getting a better co op game like EDF first. :v:

But more on topic, FEAR 1 and 2 still hold a special place in my heart because FEAR 1 was my very first console game of the previous generation. :3: I vaguely remember that there was some kind of legal trouble with FEAR 2's development. I think Monolith split with their publisher and lost the trademark to the FEAR name or something? Anyway, I do remember that they held a fan contest to name the second game because of that. "Project Origin" won, but then they got the title rights back, so they just made it the subtitle instead.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ergonomix posted:

I rented F3AR and played it in split screen co op with a buddy and we had a pretty good time but never played it again. It definitely seemed like it was designed to be co op before single player, but even if you can get somebody to play it with you I would recommend getting a better co op game like EDF first. :v:

But more on topic, FEAR 1 and 2 still hold a special place in my heart because FEAR 1 was my very first console game of the previous generation. :3: I vaguely remember that there was some kind of legal trouble with FEAR 2's development. I think Monolith split with their publisher and lost the trademark to the FEAR name or something? Anyway, I do remember that they held a fan contest to name the second game because of that. "Project Origin" won, but then they got the title rights back, so they just made it the subtitle instead.

I don't know the full story. I know that Monolith was bought by Warner Brothers, while Vivendi was able to recruit TimeGate Studios to make the expansions to the first game.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't know the full story. I know that Monolith was bought by Warner Brothers, while Vivendi was able to recruit TimeGate Studios to make the expansions to the first game.

Vinvendi owned FEAR the name, Monolith owned FEAR the franchise. The Project Origin subtitle to FEAR was supposed to be the release name for the game, but Warner and Activision struck an agreement at the last minute so the game is officially FEAR 2: Project Origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Lest we forget:

They got the line wrong. They should have said a university campus. Students tend to shower more regularly than congoers, and they can smell free food better.

Guess this says more about our guide than anything else :v:

MShadowy posted:

This is loving amazing, and it's what I was actually picturing in my head. :allears:

• Locked thread