Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kadorhal posted:

I remember back in the MW3 and Future Soldier threads, there were a few guys complaining about how every modern shooter has at least one showdown between a Blackhawk and a Hind, and the Blackhawk, despite being less-armored and having a smaller gun, wins every single time because of course it does :911:. I find it interesting that in this series, almost every Blackhawk you see gets shot down, whereas it takes one whole game, two expansions, and half of another game before a single Hind shares the same fate.

You know, I don't think I've ever seen that outside of MW3 (and presumably Future Soldier; I've never played it). I've always seen Hinds fought with other combat choppers or anti-air weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

chitoryu12 posted:

You know, I don't think I've ever seen that outside of MW3 (and presumably Future Soldier; I've never played it). I've always seen Hinds fought with other combat choppers or anti-air weapons.

There's a sequence in Future soldier where you and your squad pack into two blackhawks and kill approximately fifty Hinds. Psion and I did an LP of it a while back and you kill a lot of poo poo you shouldn't be able to through the course of the game.

Marshal Radisic posted:

I wish you'd lingered a bit in the art room. There's a whole bunch of pretty messed up pictures drawn by the students, and I mean "messed up" in a "needs intensive anti-psychotic drug regimen immediately" way. Skyscraping pillars of corpses, people in a cage being menaced by a three-headed giant over a background of ersatz Zener card symbols, giant flaming skulls, that sort of thing.

On that note, in that picture with Alma, I think the fan consensus is that it's a picture of Point Man shooting Fettel in the face. The figure on the right seems to have the same color scheme Point Man's model had in FEAR 1.

Also, that crashed chopper looks like one of the ex-Soviet Hinds the Replicas use to move around in the first FEAR.

I spent I don't know how long in each one of the rooms (there aren't any cuts in the videos for the school, actually) and I'm amazed I didn't spend the time looking at the unique art in the art room.

chitoryu12 posted:

The school is probably the high point for the game.

I think it's the section with the most detail and atmosphere, as well as some memorable fights. I don't want to reveal too much to the people who haven't played the game, but after this section the game sort of gets lost, there are a lot of samey corridors and futuristic industrial stuff. That's not to say the game isn't fun to play or doesn't have more unique experiences after the school, just that the hints of brilliance in the environmental design sort of trail off.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Your grenade failures are getting close to being more embarrassing than hilarious if anything.

I kinda like this level, nice change of pace to the rest and I liked the spooky sections.
Speaking of the spooky sections my general plan for this mission back when I was considering LPing it was to do a scare cam parody in the vein of what Supergreatfriend did for a video of the Slenderman game he did ages ago with using various reaction faces of The Rock or someone else.
Dunno why but it just seemed like an amusing thing to do at the time. v:v:v

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cooked Auto posted:

Your grenade failures are getting close to being more embarrassing than hilarious if anything.

I kinda like this level, nice change of pace to the rest and I liked the spooky sections.
Speaking of the spooky sections my general plan for this mission back when I was considering LPing it was to do a scare cam parody in the vein of what Supergreatfriend did for a video of the Slenderman game he did ages ago with using various reaction faces of The Rock or someone else.

Embarassing IS hilarious.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cooked Auto posted:

I don't know what it was with the grenades in this video and previous ones. The test run produced zero mistaken presses, yet for this playthrough I've resorted to looking at the keyboard and making sure I hit the flashlight button.

I was thinking of how to make fun of scare cams when I was thinking of doing this LP, but decided against anything because it felt like the tone would be off. Then again, I can't go five minutes without laughing at this game and grinning like a moron while playing it for some bizarre reason, so that's probably destroying atmosphere.

hectorgrey posted:

Does jump plus melee when standing still do a kick in FEAR 2? I recall it did a roundhouse kick, or a spin kick, or something like that in the first one...

Also, I don't recall having access to the slow motion in the hospital until walking into that little capsule (where you see the colonel for the first time). I did like how the guards actually responded to your use of slow motion - you're moving superhumanly fast, so of course they're going to start making GBS threads themselves. That said, I actually prefer the weapon designs and selection from the first game (with the exception of the SMG; that gun was always the first one I ditched, given the choice). I never did get around to finishing the expansions. If I ever play the original again, I'll have to see about doing that; my copy's on steam anyway, which means I have to download all three regardless.

Yes, if you stand still and jump you'll do a scissor kick or a roundhouse style thing. If you are holding forward I think you have a chance of a jumping spin kick or a crane style kick thing.

You have slow motion from the second you wake up in the hospital from what I recall. You don't get prompted to use it until a little later in the hospital. The game is careful about meting out stuff like that and things like gun fire mode changes.

One of the things I'll cover during the school section of the game is the fact that firemodes and alternate fire modes were disappearing from games very, very quickly when this was released.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 10, 2014

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

hectorgrey posted:

Does jump plus melee when standing still do a kick in FEAR 2? I recall it did a roundhouse kick, or a spin kick, or something like that in the first one...

Also, I don't recall having access to the slow motion in the hospital until walking into that little capsule (where you see the colonel for the first time). I did like how the guards actually responded to your use of slow motion - you're moving superhumanly fast, so of course they're going to start making GBS threads themselves. That said, I actually prefer the weapon designs and selection from the first game (with the exception of the SMG; that gun was always the first one I ditched, given the choice). I never did get around to finishing the expansions. If I ever play the original again, I'll have to see about doing that; my copy's on steam anyway, which means I have to download all three regardless.

I thought that the first expansion, Extraction Point, was pretty dreadful. The second expansion, Perseus Mandate, got lower scores and has a worse reputation, so I didn't bother with it when it was first released. I got it cheap a few years later... and I was pleasantly surprised, it is actually the superior expansion.

Extraction Point: The level design seems like an amateur fan-made mod. Right from the start you fight the toughest bullet-sponge replicas from the final levels of FEAR 1. There's only one new enemy, a type of ghost which is just a reskin of the invisible assassins. Fettel is magically resurrected, with no explanation, and he himself says it doesn't make sense. You are separated from Holiday and Jin and spend the whole game trying to team up with them again. (For some reason Fettel's replicas kidnap Jin instead of killing her... to taunt you, I guess?) There are 2 new guns and a new type of sentry turret grenade. The new weapons are super rare: it's a 6 hour game but you'll only spend a few minutes using the new guns. (Especially the laser carbine - it's very cool, but it burns through its ammo in seconds unless you use it very carefully with slo mo.) The sentry turret grenades are rubbish. And... in the end you fail to accomplish anything. When I finished Extraction Point and got to its lovely ending I felt like the developers were actually trolling the player: "Hahaha you just wasted 6 hours slogging your way through this crap."

Perseus Mandate: It makes a horrible first impression due to the first levels looking laughably bad. The level design does get better, but it still amateurish throughout. But unlike Extraction Point it has a plot, new characters, adds new layers to the Armacham conspiracy, and the player actually succeeds in accomplishing stuff. It has 3 new weapons: a scoped assault rifle, a lightning gun (where the lightning can arc between multiple enemies), and a grenade launcher. It also has the 3 extra weapons from Extraction Point. It has a new mercenary enemy faction, and some special enemies that have the player's slo-mo ability, and and it has new types of supernatural enemy. When Fettel returns he seems like a ghost rather than magically resurrected. You have teammates that are competent and don't exist simply to get killed. (None of that bullshit where you catch up with a friend just to see them get horribly murdered as you reach them.) You actually get to team up and fight alongside your buddies sometimes, and when you are separated you stay in touch on the radio, and they manage to independently accomplish things, so you really do feel like a squad member. So as well as being a million times better than Extraction Point, it also manages to avoid some of the flaws of FEAR 1.

I would recommend playing Persues Mandate, but don't bother with Extraction Point. (Just watch the Let's Play of it on the LP archive.)

Bear in mind that I'm a guy who is usually very positive and forgiving of things, and like to do Let's Plays showing off "underrated" games and showing off the good aspects of of games that sold poorly and dismissed as mediocre, such as TimeShift, Inversion, and Darkest of Days. So when someone like me says that Extraction Point's bad, that's really saying something.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I've been enjoying this a lot and I just wanted to say that this lp is really g*throws a grenade*

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

your evil twin posted:

(None of that bullshit where you catch up with a friend just to see them get horribly murdered as you reach them.) You actually get to team up and fight alongside your buddies sometimes, and when you are separated you stay in touch on the radio, and they manage to independently accomplish things, so you really do feel like a squad member.

But they still die in really contrived and stupid ways in the end. :v:

But yeah, I'd recommend Perseus Mandate as well over Extraction Point which just feels so utterly pointless and doesn't even bother with an interesting ending for that part and incredibly uninteresting level design as well.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhDxl4S5tkU

Right, has everyone seen this? First part's alright, but it REALLY takes off in part 3 of four. They actually made pretty good use of the leaning animation for the purpose of machinima.

I mention it also because of the title of this LP. "Holy poo poo, PUNCHING GHOSTS! Let's do this! HWAAAA!!

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcYfTgPNOaU

Not totally related to the thread, but a dev commentary for the first portion of the first FEAR game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speedball posted:

Right, has everyone seen this? First part's alright, but it REALLY takes off in part 3 of four. They actually made pretty good use of the leaning animation for the purpose of machinima.

I mention it also because of the title of this LP. "Holy poo poo, PUNCHING GHOSTS! Let's do this! HWAAAA!!

Aw man, now I feel old. I remember when that video was new.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

chitoryu12 posted:

Aw man, now I feel old. I remember when that video was new.

I remember when the eps got bundled with the game. Hell of a thing, and I wouldn't have gotten into Red Vs Blue if I hadn't bought FEAR 1 in a sale.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Speedball posted:

What a wonderful remainder of how poorly Rooster Teeth have aged.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Part 9: Hammerhead

More school exploring in this video, but we do get a new weapon: the Hammerhead. If you aren't familiar with the first FEAR game I do explain the Hammerhead in the video, however poorly. The Hammerhead is a pneumatic weapon firing bolts instead of bullets that pierce armor and do direct damage not only to you, but to enemies. this makes it an ideal weapon for dealing with armored up targets like the guys who carry Hammerheads in this video. It also pins targets to walls if they are close enough.

The downside to the weapon is that the ammo is not anywhere near as common as you would like. There will be points later in the game where Hammerheads are lying around the place, but you'll always feel like you are running low. The weapon was sort of a FEAR 1 signature and it seemed to have more ammo in that game, so I was sad to see how little is offered in FEAR 2. The other downside to the weapon is that it is nowhere near as accurate as something like the Assault Rifle, meaning the 25 bolt magazine can run near empty before you can get the two or three bolts needed into an enemy if they are too far away. Best to stick to conventional weapons at anything beyond medium range.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
I actually have a bit on the Hammerhead in my book, which I have just recently found again, but you have pretty much said everything my book has on it, all three sentences, in far more detail and depth then I could have detailed it

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
In FEAR 1, until the very end, none of the attempted scare scenes could actually hurt you. I like that in FEAR 2, the enemies you face in the scare sections can hurt you, which definitely helps keep the tension up.

I just used the rocket launcher on the Hammerhead soldiers. Two rockets kills them, and it's not like there's much else to use the RL on. The Hammerhead is quite effective at medium range if you double-tap people in the head with it. For long range, if I don't have a Sniper Rifle, the assault Rifle in single-shot mode is more accurate because there's less recoil.

I like the scene with Alma attacking from the elevator because all game long, you've been doing these "Hold E" events, where your gun is down and you're vulnerable. It's perfectly ripe for a scare, but nothing has ever happened. They held off on that until just now, after you've disposed of the nasty puppet scare section, and think it's all over.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
Lazyfire, I'm going to ask your permission for this, because I don't want to gum up your thread with a massive wall of :words:.
I promised a better insight into the project Fettel and the replica's were a part of, do you mind if I put four pages worth of info from my book on the subject in your thread?

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
The hammerhead was much more accurate in the first game - to the point where it was often worth carrying one at the expense of an assault rifle. I've just started playing the original again, and one thing I've noticed is that if you pick up a weapon that you don't already have, you get two full magazines of ammo, so it's actually pretty hard to run out of ammo for anything that enemies are actually carrying. Pity that pistols are so rare though - I've found that even a single pistol out-performs an SMG in most firefights, though again that's in the original game. That said, in the original game, I tend to walk around with the zoom active, and take careful shots. I found that the shotgun was actually decently accurate at medium range too. Well, medium by video game standards, at least.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

JackNapier posted:

Lazyfire, I'm going to ask your permission for this, because I don't want to gum up your thread with a massive wall of :words:.
I promised a better insight into the project Fettel and the replica's were a part of, do you mind if I put four pages worth of info from my book on the subject in your thread?

By all means go right ahead.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

hectorgrey posted:

Pity that pistols are so rare though - I've found that even a single pistol out-performs an SMG in most firefights, though again that's in the original game.

Yeah, they really were pretty effective. I think that in Perseus Mandate, I attempted to do a "Pistols only" run, because in that expansion, they were so common that you'd practically never run out of ammo. That didn't actually end up working, at some point I did run out of ammo, but it took quite a while.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

By all means go right ahead.
Alright, you asked for it Lazyfire, and I SHALL DELIVER!
"Project Origin Aka gently caress up central"
Conceived almost 30 years ago, project Origin was and remains ATC's most advanced and largest-scale endeavor. Origin was born out of the struggles the United States military was having in Vietnam. Communications between the field and headquarters, where tactical decisions were being made, were too slow. By the time critical information about changing conditions on the battlefield were relayed to a commanding officer and new orders were relayed back, conditions had often changed again-- the arrival of fresh enemy reinforcements, casualties reducing the number of viable US soldiers to carry out orders, and the unfortunate difficulties arising from the confusing mixture of enemy combatants and civilians. What if a coming officer did not need to rely on sometimes-unreliable technology and the delay between field reports and the issuance of new orders? What if a commander did not even need to rely on the ability of soldiers to carry out said orders?

The goal of Origin was the create a psychic commander that could control and entire battalion of ATC Replica soldiers. Replica soldiers coming out of ATC's cloning division would be genetically engineered to respond to telepathic signals from the commander and the commander could "see" the battlefield through the thoughts of each Replica soldier. There would be no delay in the relaying of orders from the commander to soldiers. New tactics, depending on changing conditions on the battlefield, would be sent and received in only the amount of time it takes to think them.
End :words:
Edit: There's a poo poo ton more where that comes from, but I have to find it first

JackNapier fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 11, 2014

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Did the napalm gun thing have alt fire modes that made it not suck at much? Maybe at least look cool?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

You know; while this game does improve on the last re. more locales - it really went backwards on the aesthetic of other things. In slow-mo, the sparks make it too trippy, and it just doesn't feel authentic without the really high-pitched whine of ricocheted bullets in the first game. Also, all the fixation on the lights all over the guns; like with the Hammerhead just now, makes it seem kinda silly. In the first games the guns were equally as ridiculous (stake launcher, particle cannon, rotary autocannon), but the looked vaguely 'realistic'.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Lazyfire posted:

The downside to the weapon is that the ammo is not anywhere near as common as you would like.

This was the gun I tested if that ammo glitch still works with, for the record. It was the only weapon in the game that I could take advantage of it with that was not the SMG, and even then it was only in that area you first find it.

Also, from discussing other grenade types, I just remembered another thing Extraction Point hosed up - you can't pick proximity mines or the new remote turrets back up once they're placed for some reason. Perseus Mandate fixed that.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 11, 2014

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Remember, kids, in an emergency you should always use the stairs, not the lift. Safety first.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Love the sound design on the Hammerhead, all TSCHNK TSCHNK TSCHNK.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Why does it release steam when you reload?

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
You keep talking about Condemned, and I would love to see your take on it next. FEAR 2 was scary, but it doesn't hold a candle to Condemned.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

Why does it release steam when you reload?

I know absolutely nothing about firearms, but I'd guess it uses some sort of pneumatic system rather than gunpowder, and the "steam" is just whatever pressurized gas used to propel the flechette.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

^^^^^If I had to guess it's something like CO2 being vented like you are firing a paintball gun. Maybe the gas comes with the magazine and by removing the magazine you end up releasing the rest of the gas?

thomawesome posted:

You keep talking about Condemned, and I would love to see your take on it next. FEAR 2 was scary, but it doesn't hold a candle to Condemned.

I've thought about it in the past, but I'd really love to see a duo take it and the sequel on. TO be honest, it hasn't aged well. I thought about doing an LP of it about a year ago and put it into my Xbox for the first time since I beat the game back at release and, well... The graphics are terrible OG Xbox level textures and designs, the gameplay is clunky and plodding (which, I mean, it's supposed to be) and if CookedAuto and Kadorhal thought FEAR 2 had too little to talk about and was boring then they haven't played Condemned. I did, however, think about grabbing footage from that game and showing the comparison in this level and another upcoming level because it is incredibly close to some environments in Condemned in a lot of ways.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Well if you ever get the hankerin, I played the heck out of Condemned back in the day. I'd be happy to tag along and I'm sure other people might too. Though it might be interesting to see a duo where one of the players was going in blind

Sally fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 12, 2014

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
I have to be honest, I never really liked Condemned (and as a result, never bothered to finish it). It started off well enough but after a while, I just got bored. I enjoyed the forensic scenes well enough, but there were only so many hobos I could beat to death with a 2x4 before I put the game down and never picked it back up.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I went ahead and recorded the last few episodes of the LP tonight. I've tried to include all the suggestions from the thread up to this point and reference a few topics of discussion despite the fact that the episodes won't be done running for at least a couple more weeks at the current update schedule. I'm kind of upset by a couple things the game did this time around. One of the special weapons kept disappearing if I threw it down and there are only two in the whole game. No idea why that happened, but it happened and is really upsetting because I would have loved to show it off.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

JossiRossi posted:

I've been enjoying this a lot and I just wanted to say that this lp is really g*throws a grenade*

Bahahaha. I laughed loudly at that one, and nearly woke up the baby.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

I went ahead and recorded the last few episodes of the LP tonight. I've tried to include all the suggestions from the thread up to this point and reference a few topics of discussion despite the fact that the episodes won't be done running for at least a couple more weeks at the current update schedule. I'm kind of upset by a couple things the game did this time around. One of the special weapons kept disappearing if I threw it down and there are only two in the whole game. No idea why that happened, but it happened and is really upsetting because I would have loved to show it off.

Did you then reload the last checkpoint so that you didn't throw the special weapon away? I hope you did actually manage to use it a few times.

(And why would you throw it down in the first place? I'm guessing you were trying to use the glitch that gives you more ammo.)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

your evil twin posted:

Did you then reload the last checkpoint so that you didn't throw the special weapon away? I hope you did actually manage to use it a few times.

(And why would you throw it down in the first place? I'm guessing you were trying to use the glitch that gives you more ammo.)

I did end up using it a couple times after it's introduced. The first time was to pick up another special weapon, the Hammerhead, shotgun and assault rifle are far too important to just drop for another weapon, so I planned to toss down a special weapon to show the other one off and then pick up the first. The game popped up a message saying I had actually picked up both of the weapons and I couldn't find the weapon I dropped. Same thing happened later with a sniper rifle. I've thrown that weapon down in the past and been able to pick it right back up, no idea what happened this time around.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Both Condemned and FEAR seem to really suffer from these interminably long levels that feel designed in a totally arbitrary fashion and then with a skin for HOSPITAL or whatever thrown on top. As a result it often doesn't feel like you're going anywhere, urgency drains out of it, and it becomes really hard to take anything that's going on seriously. They'd really have done better with shorter, more open levels that actually felt like places.

The FEAR games also come across a bit more as comedies than horror/tactical shooter because literally everything goes wrong. I think I remember in the original FEAR and its expansions/addons, literally EVERY helicopter you fly in, call in, see flying away, etc. ends up crashing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

hectorgrey posted:

I have to be honest, I never really liked Condemned (and as a result, never bothered to finish it). It started off well enough but after a while, I just got bored. I enjoyed the forensic scenes well enough, but there were only so many hobos I could beat to death with a 2x4 before I put the game down and never picked it back up.

I'm sorry, you can get tired of murdering hobos with 2x4s?

Also, the point about all the urgency draining out is kinda what I was trying to get at earlier by saying these games are not well served by having an overarching antagonist/problem (Alma) against whom Tactical Shooting does nothing, because it feels like the core gameplay thing you're doing (tactical shooting) is tangentially related to the plot and mostly a thing you're doing against a backdrop, rather than something you're doing to make progress through the story.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 14, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I think both Cooked Auto and Kadorhal pointed out that they had toyed with or even attempted to make videos for FEAR 2 and there's this overarching problem in the game with there being no real urgency or new things to comment on about gameplay, enemies and the plot. There's only a few plot points in the entire game, you have no upgrade system besides expanding your slow-mo bar and there are only a few guns in the entire game, so you really are playing the same stuff with different scenarios thrown at you with each new encounter and that's about the sum of the game. These factors don't lead to really great video and commentary as I'll point out in upcoming episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

The FEAR games also come across a bit more as comedies than horror/tactical shooter because literally everything goes wrong. I think I remember in the original FEAR and its expansions/addons, literally EVERY helicopter you fly in, call in, see flying away, etc. ends up crashing.

Actually Perseus Mandate avoids those problems, as it is the only one where NPC allies aren't doomed, and where you don't get a downer ending.

The levels look like crap, like an amateur Half-Life 1 mod, but I really like the fact that you are part of a successful squad of competent soldiers. Only ONE of your squad mates gets killed. And you and the other squad mates escape on a chopper in the end.

The baddies are also competent. In FEAR and FEAR 2 you know that the ATC guys don't stand a chance; if they don't get killed by your own bullets they'll be killed by replicas or Alma's supernatural shenanigans. In Perseus Mandate you have the "Nightcrawlers", a highly skilled mercenary group who are able to handle every adversary - except the player, of course.

There's an amusing bit where Fettel's ghost appears...

"Sir, Paxton Fettel has entered the area."
"Ignore him. Get the vault open."
"But..."
"I said ignore him!"

• Locked thread