Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

anilEhilated posted:

From what I remember, it's intended to be played in co-op in the first place.

It's like Dead Space 3, in that it's entirely possible to play it solo without missing overly much. It's obviously better if you have a friend to play with, but if you can't dig up someone to play it with, you're not missing out on too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Though it does have a few co-op exclusive moves, but they don't add that much.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's like Dead Space 3, in that it's entirely possible to play it solo without missing overly much. It's obviously better if you have a friend to play with, but if you can't dig up someone to play it with, you're not missing out on too much.

Yeah, I just beat it last night. It's still fully possible to beat it by yourself (albeit quite difficult, since there are some pretty cheap boss fights that are clearly meant to be played with two people) and as far as I know you don't miss out on any content (unlike Dead Space 3, which outright removes dialogue), but it's still very clearly designed from the ground up for co-op. The entire main menu is designed as a multiplayer lobby with a countdown to launch even for single player and the entire game is one long arcade-style score attack where you complete challenges (like backstabbing 3 enemies or draining a full slo-me meter 3 times) to earn points so you can increase your health, ammo capacity, or slo-mo time.

At the end of the game, it even tallies up the best aggression, psychic potential, and tactics (not sure how it's all scored) for both players to determine which ending is played.

It's cool and all and it works well as a co-op game, but it unfortunately sacrifices most of the atmosphere and horror content in favor of co-op gameplay. Not only do the scares and atmosphere have less impact when playing with a friend, there's actually fewer horror moments in the game and much more combat. I would legit suggest that there were about half a dozen of the old FEAR-style scares in one playthrough.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Never really liked games that try to bake in co-op in their single player as it always end up being done terribly. RA3 with its campaign co-op was particularly annoying since the partner AI was dumb as bricks and you were forced to drag with them which made the game not really enjoyable at all.
Of course there are games that does that decent, R6 Vegas 2 does is passable at least but the majority that I've encountered that does it always end being less enjoyable to play since it just naturally assume you have someone to co-op with as soon as you want to play it.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
I actually have one of the pre-order books, so if people would like info dumps on things we have gone through so far, or things from the first game, let me know and I can find out stuff that isn't spoiler filled and won't look like a CIA file

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speaking of which, what's the spoiler policy for the first FEAR game? Also, are we allowed to freely say who the two protagonists of FEAR 3 are?

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I would actually argue that the Dead Space 3 co-op is done pretty well, since it doesn't force you to have an NPC bot if you're playing solo and want the 'scarier' experience. However, I was also bored of it by one run and spent all my co-op time giving the friend tons of gear (so much medigel) and the most late-game weapon parts I could, then ran around with a double rocket launcher blowing enemies to pieces since there's no such thing as ammo type.

To be fair, though, it's not hard to be a 'better horror game' than Fthreear, considering the semi-literally schizophrenic presentation of it all, and the rivalry system in particular.

P.S. Dead Space 2 is also usually not a horror game, but it is legitimately the best action game ever made, and shows more adoration for its fans than anything short of a Bungie game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WFGuy posted:

I would actually argue that the Dead Space 3 co-op is done pretty well, since it doesn't force you to have an NPC bot if you're playing solo and want the 'scarier' experience. However, I was also bored of it by one run and spent all my co-op time giving the friend tons of gear (so much medigel) and the most late-game weapon parts I could, then ran around with a double rocket launcher blowing enemies to pieces since there's no such thing as ammo type.

To be fair, though, it's not hard to be a 'better horror game' than Fthreear, considering the semi-literally schizophrenic presentation of it all, and the rivalry system in particular.

P.S. Dead Space 2 is also usually not a horror game, but it is legitimately the best action game ever made, and shows more adoration for its fans than anything short of a Bungie game.

Dead Space 3 was just boring. It had too many identical or near-identical environments and dragged on for way longer than it had to. It felt like they threw in as many "You need to go to the other side of the base/spaceship/complex to flip a single switch or nothing works" moments as possible just to pad out the game length.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

chitoryu12 posted:

Speaking of which, what's the spoiler policy for the first FEAR game? Also, are we allowed to freely say who the two protagonists of FEAR 3 are?

Spoil away on the first FEAR game, FEAR 2 is mostly self contained in terms of plot points and the actions of the first FEAR game that matter in FEAR 2 are Alma being released and the detonation of the Origin facility nuclear reactors. I've also linked an LP of the first FEAR game in the OP so people can watch those videos if they really want to catch up with everything.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

chitoryu12 posted:

One of those protagonists comes from FEAR 2 DLC so if Lazyfire is intending on doing that, you may still want to avoid talking about them.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

Spoil away on the first FEAR game, FEAR 2 is mostly self contained in terms of plot points and the actions of the first FEAR game that matter in FEAR 2 are Alma being released and the detonation of the Origin facility nuclear reactors. I've also linked an LP of the first FEAR game in the OP so people can watch those videos if they really want to catch up with everything.

So, I can feel free to info dump stuff from my book then, so long as it doesn't spoil poo poo for the game currently being played, good to know

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

1stGear posted:

One of those protagonists comes from FEAR 2 DLC so if Lazyfire is intending on doing that, you may still want to avoid talking about them.

I'm not planning on doing any of the DLC, when I looked at it it seems that neither of the DLC from the first two games has any bearing on the next game in the franchise story wise and it didn't seem to be worth it from that perspective.

JackNapier posted:

So, I can feel free to info dump stuff from my book then, so long as it doesn't spoil poo poo for the game currently being played, good to know

Go right ahead and do so, I'll put another section in the second post for it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Lazyfire posted:

I'm not planning on doing any of the DLC, when I looked at it it seems that neither of the DLC from the first two games has any bearing on the next game in the franchise story wise and it didn't seem to be worth it from that perspective.

The FEAR 2 DLC, Reborn, is how Fettel comes back to life for FEAR 3.

Not terribly relevant (or good), but it does have some bearing.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

1stGear posted:

That is, if you susbscribe to he actually returned...

Personally I think FEAR3 is all in Point Man's head.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

1stGear posted:

Isn't he a ghost in F3AR?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Lazyfire posted:

...kind of? You can still be seen and shot by soldiers and whatnot. Basically, the plot of Reborn is you're playing as a Replica soldier who's being guided by Fettel back to where Fettel died, then Fettel's spirit takes over you.

Honestly, its entirely possible that Day 1 didn't take it into consideration when they made F3AR, but it links up enough that it might be worthwhile. The rub is that A) I assume it involves you spending money and B) I don't remember it being particularly good or interesting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

1stGear posted:

...kind of? You can still be seen and shot by soldiers and whatnot. Basically, the plot of Reborn is you're playing as a Replica soldier who's being guided by Fettel back to where Fettel died, then Fettel's spirit takes over you.

Honestly, its entirely possible that Day 1 didn't take it into consideration when they made F3AR, but it links up enough that it might be worthwhile. The rub is that A) I assume it involves you spending money and B) I don't remember it being particularly good or interesting.

It kinda wasn't. The content is mostly the same as what's in the next update or two of this LP, except you're playing as a different character. It's short and basic enough to basically play like a "demo" of FEAR 2.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Calax posted:

That is, if you susbscribe to he actually returned...

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense. FEAR 2: Reborn has Paxton Fettel specifically take control of the Replica soldier you're playing as for it, but then in F3AR he's a ghost again, complete with giant gaping head wound from the pistol bullet he took to the forehead at the end of the first game.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Part 7: Basically Shogo

So here's something some people have been hinting at for a bit: The introduction of the controllable power armor/mech suit thing. It's actually kind of fun despite my protests towards it being included in a game that is all about horror and slow motion and melee combat stuff. This is actually the first of two sections in the game where you get to ride in one of these things, but the second section is much later in the game and waaaay more difficult. So if you like it, don't worry, it'll be back. If you hate it, at least there are only two sections. It's inoffensive enough either way. Missile launcher guys are your main targets in these sections, take them out first and let the assault rifle guys plink away at your shields all day, it won't matter in the end. You could, in theory, completely avoid using the suit, but the section becomes much harder if you do so. There are scattered ammo and health pickups in the area and you can grab them if you need them, but the fights against other mechs are pretty challenging with the number of people also gunning for you.

But, this video is way more about plot and moving it forward. We're thankfully getting away from the ruined cityscape, which I wasn't a huge fan of asthetically, and moving to a different location; one I believe is much, much better in terms of design and combat and atmosphere.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I've always enjoyed short sections in games where you get your hands on some of temporary awesome shitwrecking firepower.

That was a nice touch with the school sign letters at the end.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

About the weapon slots being rearranged: that's a thing the EPA does. I don't know why getting into one rearranges your weapons, I don't know what metric it uses to decide why your decisions are dumb or where it thinks they should be, all I know is it's annoying as gently caress and you have to find another weapon entirely to juggle them all around and put them back where you want.

Which ties into something related to both the first game and the level after this one, if only arbitrarily. If you've been watching the LP of the first game linked in the OP, maybe halfway through the game is when he starts showing off a trick that lets you get more ammo (drop your current weapon before picking up a copy of it, so the game will give you three mags for it rather than fifteen bullets).
It was around during this next interval in my first playthrough of the game when I decided to experiment a bit after a fight and realized, that trick is still possible in FEAR 2. Only issue is, it's much harder to pull off for two reasons: you can't just drop a weapon anymore, you have to pick up a new one first; and there's another weapon slot, so you need to rely on the enemy using both a weapon you want more ammo for and another weapon you don't already have and then juggle all five of them around so they're still where you want once you've got the extra ammo. That one experiment I did was the only time in the entire game I was able to take advantage of the bug for a weapon I was actually going to use.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 8, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm playing through the first game while you do this LP. The first FEAR definitely has a superior atmosphere, but FEAR 2 makes some improvements when it comes to more varied locales, sound design, and way huge improvements on graphics (the first game has not aged too well). It's hard to decide which I prefer. The first game is definitely lower key, and feels more like an indie horror film in terms of scale.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm playing through the first game while you do this LP. The first FEAR definitely has a superior atmosphere, but FEAR 2 makes some improvements when it comes to more varied locales, sound design, and way huge improvements on graphics (the first game has not aged too well). It's hard to decide which I prefer. The first game is definitely lower key, and feels more like an indie horror film in terms of scale.

Yeah, but that first game doesn't go loving balls out crazy at the end like this one does. Seriously, playing this entire game through is worth it if only to see what happens in the last ten or so minutes. The combat in this game is often improved as well by some standards, though there are infinite enemy spawn locations and some really poorly designed encounters. Also, the first FEAR lacked turret segments that blared Nu-metal at you.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, but that first game doesn't go loving balls out crazy at the end like this one does. Seriously, playing this entire game through is worth it if only to see what happens in the last ten or so minutes. The combat in this game is often improved as well by some standards, though there are infinite enemy spawn locations and some really poorly designed encounters. Also, the first FEAR lacked turret segments that blared Nu-metal at you.

Then again, some parts of the first FEAR soundtrack sound like they'd be better suited to a World War II movie made in the 1960s than a sci-fi horror shooter with slow motion and excessive gore.

I also was able to pay closer attention to how the Replicas behave, and I can confirm that the psychic commander gives them orders rather than just remote controlling them. The Replicas still communicate via radio and vocal commands and react with surprise and shouts when the Point Man shows up, which definitely nixes the idea of a hive mind. There's also a point relatively early in the game where you find some Replicas patrolling outside and one of them specifically says that they're waiting for orders. I can't see why Fettel couldn't command individual soldiers, but all evidence points to the "psychic commander" idea simply being about giving the soldiers orders in the most direct manner possible far from the battlefield and probably being capable of seeing through the eyes of any one that he needs, giving him a much clearer view of the battlefield than normal. Hence why the soldiers under Alma's control in FEAR 2 still act normal: they still have all their regular training and mind and are simply being given orders by her.

Speaking of the Replicas, the AI is smart enough that you can feint it: start moving to the side like you're flanking and listen for a Replica to say "He's trying to flank!", then run back to your old spot. At least one Replica will likely be aiming where you were about to flank, letting you shoot him while he's not paying attention.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Then again, some parts of the first FEAR soundtrack sound like they'd be better suited to a World War II movie made in the 1960s than a sci-fi horror shooter with slow motion and excessive gore.

I also was able to pay closer attention to how the Replicas behave, and I can confirm that the psychic commander gives them orders rather than just remote controlling them. The Replicas still communicate via radio and vocal commands and react with surprise and shouts when the Point Man shows up, which definitely nixes the idea of a hive mind. There's also a point relatively early in the game where you find some Replicas patrolling outside and one of them specifically says that they're waiting for orders. I can't see why Fettel couldn't command individual soldiers, but all evidence points to the "psychic commander" idea simply being about giving the soldiers orders in the most direct manner possible far from the battlefield and probably being capable of seeing through the eyes of any one that he needs, giving him a much clearer view of the battlefield than normal. Hence why the soldiers under Alma's control in FEAR 2 still act normal: they still have all their regular training and mind and are simply being given orders by her.

Speaking of the Replicas, the AI is smart enough that you can feint it: start moving to the side like you're flanking and listen for a Replica to say "He's trying to flank!", then run back to your old spot. At least one Replica will likely be aiming where you were about to flank, letting you shoot him while he's not paying attention.

I can give some insight to the way the replica's worked with Fettel, when it doesn't feel like there's a mule kicking my head in, I have a killer viral infection right now, so when I can read the tiny print in my book, I'll give some insight

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Sindai posted:

I've always enjoyed short sections in games where you get your hands on some of temporary awesome shitwrecking firepower.

That was a nice touch with the school sign letters at the end.

This is why I like the powered armoured section. It's really just a nice breather from tough firefights and spooky sections. The change of pace helps a lot.

Also, you can get out of the Powered armour at will, and on Hard, you may need to do so to let the shields regenerate.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

This is why I like the powered armoured section. It's really just a nice breather from tough firefights and spooky sections. The change of pace helps a lot.

Also, you can get out of the Powered armour at will, and on Hard, you may need to do so to let the shields regenerate.

On normal there's never a compelling reason to jump out unless you are terrible. Once again, though, the game doesn't tell you that the armor can be exited at any time, which is just like the special melee moves: useful, but unexplained.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug
I don't think we saw the thermal vision the mech offered. Is it useful at all?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Earl of Lavender posted:

I don't think we saw the thermal vision the mech offered. Is it useful at all?

In some firefights there's so many people and mechs running around and dust in the air that you can't really make anything out. Thermal at least lets you figure out where the dudes and the rockets are coming from.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Marshal Radisic posted:

In some firefights there's so many people and mechs running around and dust in the air that you can't really make anything out. Thermal at least lets you figure out where the dudes and the rockets are coming from.

Yeah, I found some use from it myself.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Part 8: School's Out

We enter the creepy elementary school (yes, I pronounced it the way people do on the Simpsons in the video) and experience some freaky poo poo along with fighting people and the other basics of the game.

I really like the school as a level, the atmosphere is really fantastic and it shows off the detail the artists put into the environment. Yes, I point out reused textures and details, but compare the repeated kid's drawings in the school over the next few videos with other games that use the same five posters or bits of graffiti through the entire game. Someone spent a lot of time making the details in this game, especially here, which I appreciate as it just makes the area feel a bit more realistic.

That said, the reuse of textures and assets here also bites FEAR 2 on the rear end when things like the milk bottles or the busker guitar cases appear and you wonder if the school is serving bad milk and kids are playing instruments for pocket change. Granted, most people won't notice details like that if they are just playing the game and not looking around, but it just bugs me on some level.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 9, 2014

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Always a good sign when psychic ghost girls try to make themselves look pretty for you. Nothing but pluses for this one

1: Doesn't kill you
2: Doesn't make your skin and flesh become fire on top of scorched bones
3: Not tentacle murdering you (also has tentacles if you are into that sort of thing (you better be or else))
4: Looks really great for a long dead psychic emanation of a tormented girl
5: Single

Really Beckett has nothing to complain about. If you think of any cons don't cause' she might eat what remains of your soul.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

That hallway about halfway through is pretty memorable to me; it was right around this point during my first playthrough when I was thinking, "yeah, this is fun, but not as scary as I thought it'd be", and the game apparently heard me and reacted by turning off the lights, making my flashlight not work, and putting me in with a ton of near-invisible enemies that ignore armor and Alma popping up in front of me every few seconds. Scares are pretty much all on a downward slope after this, unfortunately; there's one more scene that made me jump for more than just because it came out of nowhere, but after that it was really nothing too far out of the ordinary.

Interval 05 intel. Some of my favorite pieces of intel in the game are in this one, and if you like reading it then this is the Interval for you - we've still got nearly twenty more to go in the next two levels.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Does jump plus melee when standing still do a kick in FEAR 2? I recall it did a roundhouse kick, or a spin kick, or something like that in the first one...

Also, I don't recall having access to the slow motion in the hospital until walking into that little capsule (where you see the colonel for the first time). I did like how the guards actually responded to your use of slow motion - you're moving superhumanly fast, so of course they're going to start making GBS threads themselves. That said, I actually prefer the weapon designs and selection from the first game (with the exception of the SMG; that gun was always the first one I ditched, given the choice). I never did get around to finishing the expansions. If I ever play the original again, I'll have to see about doing that; my copy's on steam anyway, which means I have to download all three regardless.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The school is probably the high point for the game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I really like the part where you open a door with Stokes, have a vision, and when it ends, you are in a different place entirely and alone. That's quite unsettling, because it severs the player's sense of... causality? direction?

It probably would have been a bit better though, if Stokes didn't immediately radio you back, and you didn't know what happened to her.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You want to know what's REALLY freaky about that? There USED to be a doorway there. Hell there's still an unhinged DOOR on the floor. That's less "mess with your head illusions" and straight-up reality warping.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I wish you'd lingered a bit in the art room. There's a whole bunch of pretty messed up pictures drawn by the students, and I mean "messed up" in a "needs intensive anti-psychotic drug regimen immediately" way. Skyscraping pillars of corpses, people in a cage being menaced by a three-headed giant over a background of ersatz Zener card symbols, giant flaming skulls, that sort of thing.

On that note, in that picture with Alma, I think the fan consensus is that it's a picture of Point Man shooting Fettel in the face. The figure on the right seems to have the same color scheme Point Man's model had in FEAR 1.

Also, that crashed chopper looks like one of the ex-Soviet Hinds the Replicas use to move around in the first FEAR.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Marshal Radisic posted:

I wish you'd lingered a bit in the art room. There's a whole bunch of pretty messed up pictures drawn by the students, and I mean "messed up" in a "needs intensive anti-psychotic drug regimen immediately" way. Skyscraping pillars of corpses, people in a cage being menaced by a three-headed giant over a background of ersatz Zener card symbols, giant flaming skulls, that sort of thing.

There's a bit of stuff along those lines in this Interval's intel. It's pretty interesting that there's an entire section in the PDA for Wade Elementary-related items, when you're only there for three levels.

Marshal Radisic posted:

Also, that crashed chopper looks like one of the ex-Soviet Hinds the Replicas use to move around in the first FEAR.

Yeah, getting a look at it while it was coming down, that was definitely a Hind.

I remember back in the MW3 and Future Soldier threads, there were a few guys complaining about how every modern shooter has at least one showdown between a Blackhawk and a Hind, and the Blackhawk, despite being less-armored and having a smaller gun, wins every single time because of course it does :911:. I find it interesting that in this series, almost every Blackhawk you see gets shot down, whereas it takes one whole game, two expansions, and half of another game before a single Hind shares the same fate.

EDIT: And I just remembered, for extra "gently caress your conventions of the genre", the first Blackhawk to get shot down in the first FEAR is at the hands (or rocket-pods, I guess) of a Hind.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Back when the game was first released I was disappointed that the combat seemed easier than FEAR 1. (Of course at the time I was still fighting Armacham guys in the hospital at the beginning, and they are weaker than the replicas.) But I noticed that one of the reasons the combat was easier was that they gave enemies elaborate pain/stagger animations for being shot, and the animations seemed to go on for quite a long time, during which time the enemies were unable to shoot back at the player.

I switched from Normal difficulty to Hard difficulty and still didn't encounter much challenge. It was especially noticeable with weapons like the pistol or shotgun, where each individual shot is quite powerful. Even if it took 2 or 3 shots to kill an enemy, the enemy would effectively be incapacitated for about three seconds from the first bullet.

I checked out the official forums, and found people grumbling about the same thing. What's awesome though is that Monolith actually listened to the feedback and changed the game in the version 1.02 patch! They kept normal mode and easy mode the same, but they increased the amount of damage that enemies do in hard mode so you can be killed in just a few shots, so you really have to use Slo Mo to survive, and you have to take cover, making all those moveable cover objects actually serve a purpose. They also increased the speed of enemy pain animations so that although shooting someone with the pistol or shotgun does stagger them it only lasts for a second rather than incapacitating them for the rest of the fight.

I'm not sure if they did the animation speed increase for just hard mode or for the other modes too; watching the LP I haven't noticed any enemies getting too incapacitated from being shot, so it looks like they may have done that one across the board for all difficulties.

• Locked thread