Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I swear I'm working on some Snakefist material. Been busy with other things, but I will make it happen, Lazyfire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
SnakeFist III: Viper Fang is a 1984 American science fiction action film with body horror elements that is the third installment in the popular SnakeFist franchise. It is the only film in the original US film franchise that wasn't directed or written by series creator, Hal Bouchard. It also diverges wildly from the lore established in earlier films and was quickly retconned when Bouchard returned to the series with SnakeFist IV. It is known as SnakeFIIIst in Europe and Australia and SnakeFist III in Asia.

Hal Bouchard had had a falling out with Warner Brothers in 1982 for undisclosed reasons that remain the subject of speculation today. The 2004 documentary, Behind The Fist attempts to address this and suggests that a tryst between Bouchard and the Warner Brothers CEO at the time was a factor, but the notion has been dismissed as rumour mongering. Whatever the reason, Bouchard was dismissed before filming of the third SnakeFist film while producers sought a new director. They found one in David Lynch, who had recently parted ways with Universal Pictures over creative differences in the production of the much maligned Dune film. Lynch took to the script and filming began almost immediately. Impressed with his work on The Elephant Man, Warner Brothers Studios gave Lynch complete directorial freedom to give a more experimental and artsy twist on the concept of SnakeFist. The result, in 1984, was a film that barely resembled the original script, alienated fans and critics, and was a box office bomb.

Plot
In the film, SnakeFist is seen living a life of peace, working as a labourer in a small company town in Arizona built up to support a large pharmaceutical plant. Things go awry when it's revealed that the pharmaceutical company, enVenom Inc., is knowingly conducting experiments on the residents of the town to test their new medicines. When the township tries to protest and notify the authorities, the company's paramilitary force "pacifies" them, leaving no survivors--except SnakeFist. In the ensuing attack, SnakeFist is mutated by enVenom's new chemical, mutating his right fist into the literal head of a snake, whom he names "Venom Fang". Subsequently, SnakeFist goes on a one-man killing spree, working his way through the company ranks, offing paramilitary soldiers and executives alike. Along the way he encounters a number of grotesque mutations, failed experiments of enVenom Inc., that he leads in an uprising. The movie climax has SnakeFist dueling Wolfgang Schmidt, Jr., the CEO of enVenom Inc., who has mutated himself to have two fists that are wolf heads. Notably, SnakeFist does not once utter his trademark "gently caress you".

Critical Reception
SnakeFist III was reviled by critic and fan alike. Common complaints were that it diverged too much from the source material or that the tone was all wrong. Critics cited the overuse of internal monologues and monsters in suits as issues that took away from the original style of the earlier films. A few critics enjoyed the film, claiming that though while it wasn't a cohesive experience, individual scenes really shone. The soundtrack and sound effects are also cited as a highlight, especially enhanced by Lynch's nightmarish, and at times, psychotropic style for the film.

Wolfgang Schmidt Jr.'s line at the climactic battle "two head fists are better than one" was nominated for a Razzie Award in 1985. The film was also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Sound.

Legacy
After SnakeFist III bombed, Bouchard was hired back on by Warner Brothers. Whatever their problems, they seemed to be forgotten and never divulged to the public. Bouchard immediately got to work on a new SnakeFist movie and used to script originally meant for SnakeFist III: Viper Fang. The result was the simply titled SnakeFist IV, which went on to smash box office records and become a fan favourite, often being referred to as SnakeFist's Empire Strikes Back. SnakeFist IV retconned the events of SnakeFist III, taking place immediately after the events of SnakeFist II: The Tower. For the most part, SnakeFist III is entirely forgotten, being left out of many SnakeFist boxsets, its existence known by many only for the fact that the third film is absent from the collection.

When asked about SnakeFist III: Venom Fang, David Lynch said he "didn't know what [he] was thinking". He lamented giving up on Dune and wondered what the result would have been if he stuck with it. He imagines the end result would have been much better.

SnakeFist III has seen a resurgence of popularity in the early 2000s, often being the subject of "Bad Movie" nights at small cinemas. It is often seen today played alongside the likes of Troll 2 and The Room.

Surprisingly, the concept of SnakeFist as an action hero with a literal snake for a fist resurfaced in the 1994 CGI animated children's cartoon SnakeFist Legacy.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
^^^ haha, crud, beaten!

chiasaur11 posted:

Not enough Zizek references to be a believable CD thread.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There definitely is logic being voiced in the thread where the solution to a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with fists that can deflect bullets. Maybe the SnakeFist logic where the solution to crime is to literally kill every criminal (and still ignore the systemic problems that create criminals and crime bosses).

Since we're on Zizek, I'm going to point out how the 'communist' solution to the issues presented metaphorically in the film have been consistently dismissed as impossible. The trouble is that this conclusion is based entirely on the symbolic network that makes up the film's fight choreography 'reality' and defines what is possible. It's ideology - and specifically an ideology of 'harmony', as pointed out earlier.

"And it is here that ideology performs its supreme conjuring trick. What ideology aims at is a fantasmatic re-staging of the encounter with the Real in such a way that the impossibility of Society is translated into the theft of society by some historical Other [...]

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Our guide liked SnakeFist III: Venom Fang.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cooked Auto posted:

Your grenade failures are getting close to being more embarrassing than hilarious if anything.

I kinda like this level, nice change of pace to the rest and I liked the spooky sections.
Speaking of the spooky sections my general plan for this mission back when I was considering LPing it was to do a scare cam parody in the vein of what Supergreatfriend did for a video of the Slenderman game he did ages ago with using various reaction faces of The Rock or someone else.
Dunno why but it just seemed like an amusing thing to do at the time. v:v:v

Embarassing IS hilarious.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Well if you ever get the hankerin, I played the heck out of Condemned back in the day. I'd be happy to tag along and I'm sure other people might too. Though it might be interesting to see a duo where one of the players was going in blind

Sally fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 12, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Radec, in Killzone 2, was one of the better examples of a cloaked enemy in a FPS I've seen in recent years. The fight was genuinely tough yet satisfying. While possible to hear him, it was infinitely more fun to light him on fire to get around the 100% invisible thing. It's too bad it was a unique fight and never cropped up again.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

biosterous posted:

[The following scene was cut from SnakeFist V before being filmed. The script for this segment survived, and can be found on the 2008 HD re-release in the Special Features section]

SETTING: Convenience store, seedier part of town, night. SNAKEFIST is finally going to get the drink he wanted at the beginning of the TAXI FIGHT SCENE.

SNAKEFIST: Gimme a Professor Doctor.

CLERK: You got it, dude! That's the drink that heroes prefer!

Enter THUG.

THUG: I'm a criminal! This is a stick-up! Hand over your money!

SNAKEFIST: Okay, calm down. I'll give you my wallet, but first, let me take a drink of this delicious and satisfying Professor Doctor.

CLERK: It's the choice of a real man after a long day of doing what's right!

THUG: That is entirely reasonable, go ahead.

SNAKEFIST takes a sip of Professor Doctor, clearly savouring the taste of 8 fruits and 14 essential vitamins and nutrients.

THUG: Wow, does that look good. How about you give me one of those, along with all that money I had previously asked you for?

SNAKEFIST: Sure thing, let me get you one.

SNAKEFIST graps a bottle of Professor Doctor and throws it at THUG's head, distracting him. SNAKEFIST draws his gun.

SNAKEFIST: gently caress you!

SNAKEFIST shoots THUG, killing him.

CLERK: Wow, thanks for saving me!

SNAKEFIST: No, thank you, pal, for getting me that wonder-drink, Professor Doctor! It gives me the edge I need to take out criminal scum like that.

CLERK: And it's available everywhere, and so reasonably priced!

SNAKEFIST: Professor Doctor truly is The Right ChoiceTM!

Exit SNAKEFIST, dissolve to next scene

[The scene was likely cut due to the blatant product placement being largely against the tone of the film. Reportedly, JoyCo Inc. (the producers of Professor Doctor) filed a lawsuit against Warner Brothers, claiming that they had agreed to provide catering services for the film in exchange for the product placement of Professor Doctor. Both parties settled out of court.]

Brilliant. Hopin we get more Snakefist before the thread ends.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

graey alien posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. IT’S SNAKEFIST III VIPER FANG AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, SNAKEFIST. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME ENVENOM BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED ARIZONAS MOST DANGEROUS PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANY. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Destructoid posted:

It only took a few hours for FistCon 2014 to degenerate into the most catastrophic fan convention in recent memory.

Over the course of one weekend, the organizers took $17,000 from conventiongoers as part of an emergency fundraising drive, failed to pay any of their high-profile guests, and attempted to compensate disappointed ticket-holders by offering them an “extra” hour in a children’s ball pit. The ball pit only fit around six people. There was apparently not a very long queue.

FistCon was originally known as SnakeFist-Con USA, a convention aimed specifically at SnakeFist culture enthusiasts from fandoms such as SnakeFisters, Welcome to gently caress You, and SnakeFist's F.I.S.T. If you’re at all familiar with any of these subcultures, you won’t be surprised to hear that many of the eventual conventiongoers were in their teens.

SnakeFist-Con USA raised more than $4,000 in startup funds via Indiegogo, before changing their name to FistCon to avoid implying that they were officially linked with the creator's of SnakeFist itself. “We are not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Hal Bouchard or Warner Bros.,” reads FistCon’s Twitter account.

Billing itself as SnakeFist’s answer to BronyCon, FistCon easily found volunteers and drummed up donations. Tickets went on sale in summer 2013, with the convention planned for this weekend, July 11-13, in the Schaumburg Renaissance Convention Center in Illinois. A weekend pass was $65, with day passes priced at $30-50, plus typical hotel room rental bills. This was a little on the pricey side for a first-time convention (San Diego Comic Con charges $45 for a day pass on peak days), but not exorbitantly so.

On July 11, with most attendees already on site, FistCon staff members dropped the bombshell that the convention would be thrown out of the hotel unless $17,000 was ponied before 10pm.

With virtually everyone at FistCon being obsessive users of social media, this news was posted all over Something Awful and Twitter within minutes, becoming the weekend’s main source of gossip and schadenfreude among Something Awful fans who weren’t attending the convention. The idea of crowdfunding $17,000 for an emergency hotel payment was also outlandish enough for people to start pointing out that even if this wasn’t a scam, it was certainly an indication of incompetence on the part of convention organizers.

Amazingly, FistCon did manage to raise $17,000 in cash and PayPal donations that evening, an impressive amount when you know that there were only an estimated 1,000 people at the convention on Friday night.

Footage of the fundraising announcement shows convention organizers soliciting donations from a crowded ballroom of Tumblr users, many of whom hand over cash and then break into song while performing the middle-fingered salute from SnakeFist reboot franchise.

In a Something Awful post, which has since been deleted, FistCon staff, Lazyfire, wrote, “The upper management of the hotel is threatening to shut down fistcon, unless we give them $17,000 by 10 p.m. Central Time tonight. Please go to SnakeFistCon.org and click the Donate button and give her anything you can. Unless we get this by tonight everything is cancelled. We suspect it’s due to the fact that upper management doesn’t like the people at the con.”

Many are describing this $17,000 fundraiser as a perfect real-world example of the bad side (or at least the stupid side) of Something Awful culture.

Hundreds of people banded together to support a common cause, spurred on by excitement and camaraderie, without actually stopping to check the facts or find out where their money was going. And whether or not it actually was a scam, it followed an extremely efficient scam formula: separating people from their money as quickly as possible, without giving them a chance to think about it too much.

FistCon's Something Awful thread page has already stated that they will refund all of the donations made via Paypal. However, it’s unclear how they will refund the cash donations because there’s no evidence that they kept a record of who gave cash and how much.

“i donated at least $360 from straight out of my bag and was wondering if i would see any of that ever again,” wrote one attendee in a message, Blind Sally, to the FistCon staff. “They collected money in a bag,” wrote another.

On Saturday, FistCon posted a Something Awful thread titled “The Explanation,” which included a photo of a letter on the hotel's stationary:

“We worked out a plan with the hotel to give them money slowly for the entire course of the weekend, which was more than 100% feasible for us. However, 12 hours later one of our admins was unexpectedly pulled into a meeting with higher-level hotel staff, at which point they were informed that convention management had to procure $20,000 by the end of the night.

It was an extremely sudden change, especially since we had sent them a number of payments before and a considerable sum the night before. This sudden change put us in a place where we would not be allowed to open on the morning of 7/12, unless we had the full amount for them the night of 7/11. Unfortunately, the money we needed to pay that amount would not have been coming in until 7/12 in the form of walk-in attendees, as is customary for conventions.”

This explanation might have worked on people who were having fun at the convention on Friday night, but Something Awful users elsewhere were more doubtful. The now-infamous $17,000 had already set conspiracy theorists wondering whether FistCon's claims were real, including one person proving how easy it is to forge a similar letter on Renaissance hotel stationary.

FistCon originally projected that 3,000-7,000 people would attend the convention, and that it would cost “upwards of $100,000” to host. People at the convention have already reported that there were no more than 1,500 people in attendance on Friday or Saturday, with that number dropping rapidly as the weekend wore on.

One YouTube video sees a convention staffer talking about “containing a riot” of “5,000 people” during the fundraiser, but the footage from the fundraiser itself shows a hall containing approximately 1,000 people, mostly yelling SnakeFist slogans and throwing up the middle-finger.

Aside from the growing concern over FistCon staff asking for so much extra money mid-convention, the main reason for the increase in FistCon conspiracy theories is the implausibility of the hotel fee story. It seems unlikely that a major venue like the Schaumburg Convention Center (which is owned by Marriott) would allow a first-time convention to show up without having paid their fees in advance, and then demand a $20,000 fee at 10pm on a Friday night. At the very least, they would not suddenly change their agreement with the convention halfway through the event itself.

A 2013 post from convention organizer biosterous states that the convention center had already been rented 11 months ago. Referring to the fact that FistCon's was listed on the hotel’s website, they wrote, “They don’t just do that without a legally binding contract and the exchange of money.”

We have contacted Marriott Hotels and the Schaumburg Renaissance regarding their payment policy for conventions of this type, but they had not replied at press time.

FistCon's money problems inevitably led to another level of disaster: major guests pulling out. Welcome to Night Vale were the most famous guests in attendance, taking time out of their U.S. tour to do a live performance and Q&A.

Instead, the WTNV crew showed up to discover that FistCon could not pay their travel and performance costs. Featured speaker Geop also found out that his hotel room had not been paid for, at which point he left the convention to sleep on a sofa bed constructed by one of the Welcome To gently caress You writers. The mere concept of this Something Awful celebrity sleepover already sounded like more fun than the entirety of FistCon.

Something Awful LPers, Goonhouse, were one of the other major guests. Their panel and live recording of Ribbit King on Friday went smoothly, but once they heard about the debacle unfolding around them, they decided to pull out of the convention. At this point they discovered that their hotel rooms were no longer listed under FistCons name, and that they were being asked to foot the bill. They attempted to contact convention organisers Lazyfire, biosterous, and Kaderhol, who ignored their calls.

Since then, FistCon has gotten in touch with GoonHouse and is settling their expense account: possibly the first piece of good news all weekend.

The Geekiary posted footage of the announcement that Welcome To gently caress You wouldn’t be showing up for their panel, but it was FistCon's eventual Something Awful post that really made waves. Why? Well, it thoughtlessly focused on the most evocative detail of this whole disastrous weekend: the ball pit.

“For those of you who had reserved seats,” wrote Lazyfire, referring to the fact that Welcome To gently caress You was a ticketed event, “we are giving you guys an extra hour with the ball pit."

Astonishingly enough, this was not a euphemism or a joke. There was indeed a ball pit at FistCon, and for some reason the convention organizers felt that people would genuinely want to spend an hour inside it, as compensation for missing out on a gently caress You show. Since many people bought tickets to the convention just because gently caress You would be there, this had better be a pretty drat impressive ball pit.

Photos of the tiny, sagging ball pit sitting forlornly in an empty convention hall have since become emblematic of FistCon's public image as a disaster zone. Something Awful users in the GBS subforum quickly set about turning it into a meme, resulting in a kind of schadenfreude glee when convention attendees eventually reported that the ball pit had deflated.

“Jeez,” wrote Something Awful forum user Putty, “if I had a dollar for every ball pit joke being made right now I think I’d have $17,000.”

Aside from major problems like apparent financial chaos, guest cancellations, and the ball pit, plenty of other things at FistCon began to seem strange or unprofessional.

- Only 500 tickets were made available each day, making it well-nigh impossible for the convention to achieve the projected 3,000-7,000 attendees they originally assumed would show up.

- Something Awful forum user nine-gear crow described hotel mints being given away at a panel as competition prizes.

- The so-called “game room” featured a single TV and console.

- The moderator for Geop’s panel never showed up, so he had to moderate it herself. Everyone was banned.

- Several videos making fun of the convention surfaced online, filmed by someone who claimed that they found it easy to just wander in without paying for a day pass.

- The FistCon blog said they were “in partnership” with the charity Random Acts, but the convention does not appear to have been publicly acknowledged by Random Acts.

- A blogger claiming to be a former FistCon volunteer posted a lengthy account of their experiences during the planning stages of the convention, along with what appears to be screencaps of conversations with other organizers, most of whom seemed disorganized or confused throughout. This aligns with other descriptions of FistCon's organizational structure, with “fandom committees” taking control of various aspects of convention fundraising and scheduling.

- None of the main convention organizers appear to have a background in fan conventions or similar events. FistCon owner Lazyfire is an LPer with some Red Faction and Battlefield LPs to their claim.

As it stands, we’re inclined to believe that the situation at FistCon was not the result of malice or an intentional scam, but more a case of the organizers biting off more than they could chew.

Although it’s too early to say precisely what went down at the Schaumburg Convention Center, it seems like the biggest problems were precipitated by a lack of experience on the part of the convention organizers, and an inaccurate estimate of how many people would buy tickets.

Fandom is no stranger to crowdfunding ventures, even from well before the days of Indiegogo, Kickstarter, and even the Internet. But compared to fandom’s many charity fundraisers, artistic and publishing projects, small fan events, and emergency PayPal donation requests, conventions and conferences are by far the most difficult to organize. A small convention of a couple hundred people is potentially doable for a newcomer to the industry, but FistCon was a hugely ambitious undertaking for a group of people who had no prior experience in convention management.

In assuming that 3,000-7,000 people would buy tickets to FistCon, the organizers were effectively expecting their convention to be the same size as (if not bigger than) WorldCon, which typically attracts a crowd of about 4,000-6,000. FistCon 2015 is supposedly expected to attract 4,500-8,500 people, with weekend badges already on sale at $50 each.

A lot of the fandom commentary on the FistCon meltdown has focused either on the naivete of the young SnakeFister audience, or the possibility that the whole thing could be a scam. But as Something Awful forums user slowbeef points out, FistCon is not exactly unique. In fact, disastrous fan conventions are cyclical, like a plague of locusts that comes back to hit a new generation every few years.

The last example was only a year ago: Las Pegasus Unicon, a My Little Pony convention that saw a similar timeline of low attendance followed by financial problems and guest payments failing to go through. However, there isn’t much crossover between bronies and the SnakeFister side of Something Awful fandom, so most of FistCon's audience probably weren’t familiar with the Las Pegasus story.

The closest crossover point would probably be Tentmoot, a disastrous 2003 Lord of the Rings fan convention that lives on in the memory of people who participated in Livejournal fandom, but would be unfamiliar to FistCon's younger audience.

Combine this with the enticing concept of a convention “by Something Awful users, for Something Awful users,” and you have the reason why FistCon managed to raise so much money not just on Friday evening, but on Indiegogo last year and through several fundraising drives since then.

So, all this has happened before, and will happen again. But probably not in SnakeFister fandom next time round.

FistCon's organizers have not yet replied to a request for comment.

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 22, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lazyfire posted:

Anyways, just one more video and we're done with the game, so if you have questions/comments or whatever it's time to throw them out there.

Question: do you promise to give us the SnakeFist Overview Pt. 2 before closing the thread? I'd like to know what the reboot franchise was like.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Kinda like how Star Trek films alternate between "good" and "bad" depending on whether they are even or odd, the third film in a SnakeFist franchise tends to be the worst.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lazyfire posted:

I have to go and organize the last flurry of SnakeFist stuff and I think I'll be closing the thread soon. Thanks everyone for participating/posting/watching videos. I had fun doing this as always and was glad to have an active thread through a game I was worried, based on Cooked Auto and Kadorhal's attempts at LPing the game, was not going to turn out well.

If you missed the videos I put a playlist of all the videos together.

All these SnakeFist entries remind me of when Warner tried to cash in on the franchise by aping Seth Grahame-Smith's parody mash-up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Like many SnakeFist cash-grabs, it was ill-advised and poorly executed. The end result was a disgraceful parody of Goethe's Faust simply titled SnakeFaust, and written by recent college graduate, Darren Levy.

The book's plot begins with a retired SnakeFist having difficulty adjusting to civilian life. Frustrated with his new existence, he attracts the attention of the Devil. Bizarrely, he is named MeFistTopheles in the novel, for seeming no other reason than to capitalize on a "Fist" pun in the character's name. The two decide on a wager, after MeFistTopheles bets SnakeFist that he can bring joy and satisfaction to his life. This joy arrives in the form of Major-General Huggles'n'Snuggles, a young tabby kitten. The Major-General and the SPCA that he is adopted from are destroyed in part due to MeFistTopheles' deception, but also due to SnakeFist's inability to deal with his anger when he is cut off by an aggressive driver in the SPCA's parking lot. The first act of this literary farce leaves SnakeFist to wallow in despair and grief.

The second part has SnakeFist being armed to the teeth by Helen of Troy, who urges him to wage a one-man war on MeFistTopheles and his Infernal Legions. The book makes a poor attempt at conveying a training montage before SnakeFist shoots his way to Hell using a rocket launcher mini-gun. The ensuing rampage ensures that all traces of Hell and MeFistTopheles are destroyed. Rather than being grateful for SnakeFist's actions, the Angels arrive from Heaven to chide and scold him for upsetting the balance of Heaven and Hell. SnakeFist's moment of celebration is ended when they inform him he will never be allowed into heaven to see Major-General Huggles'n'Snuggles. An enraged SnakeFist then uses the same rocket launcher mini-gun to "rocket jump" to Heaven where he defeats the Angelic Forces single-handedly and forces God to surrender the Kingdom Of Heaven. The books ends with SnakeFist sitting on God's Divine Throne while an angelic Major-General Huggles'n'Snuggles sleeps in his lap.

Entertainment Weekly reviewed SnakeFaust terribly, giving it a grade of F−. Library Journal recommended the novel "...for any person who wants to witness the death of literature". The AV Club gave the novel a grade of F, commenting that "(w)hat begins as a gimmick ends with the reader wishing to be lobotomized". The New Yorker's Macy Halford, however, called the book's estimated blend of eighty-five percent Goethe's words and fifteen percent Levy's "one hundred per cent fantastic"; while she admitted that the mash-up may have insulted anyone who had ever read the source material, she still found Levy's writing to be brilliant, singling out a passage in which SnakeFist prepares to kill a 7-11 attendant over an overheard slight.

As of April 9, 2009, SnakeFist was, shockingly, number three on the New York Times bestseller list. On the same morning, the book moved on amazon.co.uk's bestseller list from the 300s to 27th place. Before the book was published in the United Kingdom, the book required a second printing. Experts blame the phenomenon on "mouth-breathing, moon-faced simpletons who wish to see humankind's collective achievements destroyed in favour of sugary pop-music and bad HBO programming."

Sally fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 5, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chitoryu12 posted:

Anyone gonna talk about that SnakeFist-themed restaurant they opened in Times Square with that Food Network celebrity chef? The Times ripped it a new one. Something about toasted marshmallow tasting like fish.

I've been there. It's poo poo. But hey, that's what they get for throwing in with Guy Fieri.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
SnakeFist 4 lyfe!!!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SageNytell posted:

Got any plans for more future LPs?

If crow and I can make it that far, we're gonna get Lazyfire to guest commentate for some Killzone 2 vids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I call dibs on writing the third one. :getin:

• Locked thread