Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Samovar posted:

That one scene with Alma being behind you is almost hilarious at how banal it is.

Also, a drat shame you can't duel-wield pistols in this game.

There's a similar-but-really-good bit in the first game at a ladder early on, in which it uses a 'scare' at the top to make you let your guard down for a better one at the bottom, but yeah, this one is rubbish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Lazyfire, I like your anti-sniper technique. Very effective, and it's a shame you can't actually intimidate enemy forces in any practical way in this series.

Armadillo Tank posted:

I think F3AR deserves a balls out crazy co-op variety hour style LP. Anything serious or a legitimate sane LP can not do it justice.

cKnoor and Blister did one back in the day that was pretty good like that. The usual "don't watch a sequel if you don't know how this one ends" disclaimer applies.

WFGuy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 5, 2014

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

your evil twin posted:

I think you've inadvertently linked to the wrong thing, there.

I would very much like to see that FEAR 3 co-op as I watched the first couple of videos and then never got round to watching the rest, and I've not been able to find the thread again and it hasn't been put on the LP archive.

I did! Derp. It's fixed now, but here's the link also. Guess I shouldn't be catching up on 13th Age developments at the same time I have a reply page open, sorry.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
I would actually argue that the Dead Space 3 co-op is done pretty well, since it doesn't force you to have an NPC bot if you're playing solo and want the 'scarier' experience. However, I was also bored of it by one run and spent all my co-op time giving the friend tons of gear (so much medigel) and the most late-game weapon parts I could, then ran around with a double rocket launcher blowing enemies to pieces since there's no such thing as ammo type.

To be fair, though, it's not hard to be a 'better horror game' than Fthreear, considering the semi-literally schizophrenic presentation of it all, and the rivalry system in particular.

P.S. Dead Space 2 is also usually not a horror game, but it is legitimately the best action game ever made, and shows more adoration for its fans than anything short of a Bungie game.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Remember, kids, in an emergency you should always use the stairs, not the lift. Safety first.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
"Why yes, Lieutenant Stokes, I would happily follow Keegan through these sewers and this subway system, this will surely be a fruitful endeavour in which we will bring him back to the team happy and healthy. What an excellent idea."

Why are we doing this segment again? Is Bucket actually a complete idiot, or does he just follow orders to the letter no matter how stupid?

EDIT:v That's assuming he's not already hip-deep in something supernatural and Alma-related. I think that's kiiiiinda optimistic after seeing his teleporting rant through spirit town.

WFGuy fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 19, 2014

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
It's a pretty common problem in sci-fi, but I'm always annoyed when the "Emergency Braking Systems" fail. Emergency brakes are supposed to be a failsafe mechanism, after all - if your emergency brakes fail, it should be by automatically applying and leaving you stranded in the middle of the system. It's usually considered the less deadly of the two options when the engineer is developing it, since the alternative is... well, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
It's probably most notable in the school section that when you fight her off she says something like "Don't you like me?"

At the time, it's probably enough to be creepy, might be enough to send up warning signals (no, not those warning signals, although yes, actually, those warning signals as well), but in a replay it's fairly noticeable.

Still, let's all be thankful that, like chitoryu edged past, at least they didn't do this sequence with little girl Alma. Small favours.

• Locked thread