Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
I actually have one of the pre-order books, so if people would like info dumps on things we have gone through so far, or things from the first game, let me know and I can find out stuff that isn't spoiler filled and won't look like a CIA file

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

Spoil away on the first FEAR game, FEAR 2 is mostly self contained in terms of plot points and the actions of the first FEAR game that matter in FEAR 2 are Alma being released and the detonation of the Origin facility nuclear reactors. I've also linked an LP of the first FEAR game in the OP so people can watch those videos if they really want to catch up with everything.

So, I can feel free to info dump stuff from my book then, so long as it doesn't spoil poo poo for the game currently being played, good to know

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Then again, some parts of the first FEAR soundtrack sound like they'd be better suited to a World War II movie made in the 1960s than a sci-fi horror shooter with slow motion and excessive gore.

I also was able to pay closer attention to how the Replicas behave, and I can confirm that the psychic commander gives them orders rather than just remote controlling them. The Replicas still communicate via radio and vocal commands and react with surprise and shouts when the Point Man shows up, which definitely nixes the idea of a hive mind. There's also a point relatively early in the game where you find some Replicas patrolling outside and one of them specifically says that they're waiting for orders. I can't see why Fettel couldn't command individual soldiers, but all evidence points to the "psychic commander" idea simply being about giving the soldiers orders in the most direct manner possible far from the battlefield and probably being capable of seeing through the eyes of any one that he needs, giving him a much clearer view of the battlefield than normal. Hence why the soldiers under Alma's control in FEAR 2 still act normal: they still have all their regular training and mind and are simply being given orders by her.

Speaking of the Replicas, the AI is smart enough that you can feint it: start moving to the side like you're flanking and listen for a Replica to say "He's trying to flank!", then run back to your old spot. At least one Replica will likely be aiming where you were about to flank, letting you shoot him while he's not paying attention.

I can give some insight to the way the replica's worked with Fettel, when it doesn't feel like there's a mule kicking my head in, I have a killer viral infection right now, so when I can read the tiny print in my book, I'll give some insight

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
I actually have a bit on the Hammerhead in my book, which I have just recently found again, but you have pretty much said everything my book has on it, all three sentences, in far more detail and depth then I could have detailed it

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
Lazyfire, I'm going to ask your permission for this, because I don't want to gum up your thread with a massive wall of :words:.
I promised a better insight into the project Fettel and the replica's were a part of, do you mind if I put four pages worth of info from my book on the subject in your thread?

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

By all means go right ahead.
Alright, you asked for it Lazyfire, and I SHALL DELIVER!
"Project Origin Aka gently caress up central"
Conceived almost 30 years ago, project Origin was and remains ATC's most advanced and largest-scale endeavor. Origin was born out of the struggles the United States military was having in Vietnam. Communications between the field and headquarters, where tactical decisions were being made, were too slow. By the time critical information about changing conditions on the battlefield were relayed to a commanding officer and new orders were relayed back, conditions had often changed again-- the arrival of fresh enemy reinforcements, casualties reducing the number of viable US soldiers to carry out orders, and the unfortunate difficulties arising from the confusing mixture of enemy combatants and civilians. What if a coming officer did not need to rely on sometimes-unreliable technology and the delay between field reports and the issuance of new orders? What if a commander did not even need to rely on the ability of soldiers to carry out said orders?

The goal of Origin was the create a psychic commander that could control and entire battalion of ATC Replica soldiers. Replica soldiers coming out of ATC's cloning division would be genetically engineered to respond to telepathic signals from the commander and the commander could "see" the battlefield through the thoughts of each Replica soldier. There would be no delay in the relaying of orders from the commander to soldiers. New tactics, depending on changing conditions on the battlefield, would be sent and received in only the amount of time it takes to think them.
End :words:
Edit: There's a poo poo ton more where that comes from, but I have to find it first

JackNapier fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 11, 2014

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Alavaria posted:

She needs a hair cut before trying to get psychic-laid.

And let's not forget the whole "being dead" thing, that's always awkward.

Let's also not forget she's twenty years older then Beckett if I remember correctly

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

I should have known something was up when the words "MILF Hunter Presents" appeared on the screen between the Monolith logo and the Gamespy logo.

Yeah, Beckett is literally young enough to be one of her kids, Beckett is only in his early twenties if I remember correctly and Alma's technically Forty Six, if you count birthday's after death

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Well, you get the choice of either counting birthdays after death or calling her a ghost zombie. It's up to you to decide which is more palatable to gently caress.
I don't think it was an option for Beckett, but I have to ask, is it ever brought up in the next game that Alma basically decided the best material for the father of her next child is literally younger then both of her other children?

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Not even once. It's obviously a major plot point that Alma is now impregnated with Beckett's psychic ghost baby, but nobody ever goes "Whoa, that's grody" or anything. Mainly because the third game literally has three important characters who aren't Alma (plus one villainous character who only makes occasional semi-hallucinatory appearances plus the final boss battle) and one of them never says a single word through the entire game.

What I'm trying to say is that the storytelling in FEAR 3 is poo poo and makes this game look like Fallout 3 in terms of amount of content.

Wow, so I should stop eyeballing it every time it goes on sale then? Because that sounds absolutely horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

1stGear posted:

The gameplay is pretty good, especially if you have someone to play co-op with. If you're playing the FEAR games for the story, I really don't know what to tell you.

I think the only one I ever played for the story was the first one, and it seems the third is more geared towards multiplayer, and the third seems more like its geared towards a multiplayer experience, and I really don't have anybody to play it with

• Locked thread