Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh, nice, when you go to the mission select, it shows you how many items you found out of how many total. That's useful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I really hate that F.E.A.R. 2 doesn't recognize my Logitech G500 5-button mouse, which would have helped make the controls a little easier to use. F.E.A.R. 2 could also have used a lot less of the button mashing QTE's, which do not mix well with a mouse.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
One neat touch is that if you repeat the Replica arena fight (by getting killed, for instance), it's random which pods pop up in each wave, which makes it futile to try and cheese the fight by knowing where the solders pop up each time.

The door the Power Armour comes out of also depends on which valve you turn second. That in itself is tricky, because normally, you would expect that such a boss would only show up on the THIRD valve you turn, but no, it’s the second. Tricky!

Both the submachinegun and the assault rifle have multiple fire modes. The SMG has a burst mode, which fires three round bursts with each round of the trigger, and the rifle has a single-shot mode, which is actually a bit more accurate, so it's a bit easier to get headshots with.

FEAR 2 does a very good job with keeping the environments fresh, and it gives you new weapons at a slow, but steady trickle, so that your arsenal doesn't stay stale either.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I finished up my replay of FEAR 2 today on Hard (which is indeed Hard) to get all the last intel and boosters I missed. On Hard, you can take about as much damage as the enemies can (not much), and Medkits pretty much vanish from the game completely about three levels before it ends.

JamieTheD posted:

So, lots to talk about here. First things first, F3AR.

I just started FThreeAR today, and have finished the first four levels (probably about half the game)

There's a lot to hate about FThreeAR. The pacing is pretty off, for some reason the first two levels are set in *****Mexico***** for no reason whatsoever (and are essentially entirely shooty and without tense sections), the game is full of unremovable XP/achievement popups to show how much XP you've gotten - which is important because it's how you unlock things like a longer slo-mo bar, bigger ammo capacity, more grenades and stuff.

The storytelling has removed all the intel items/phone messages and instead has replaced them with cutscenes. Since the protagonist is silent, that really feels odd.

Playing the third game really makes me appreciate the second game a LOT more. The enemy merc chatter is just awful and makes them seem dumb.

However, there's something that I really, REALLY wanted to do after FEAR 2, and if FThreeAR lets me do that, then I will consider the game fully redeemed. EDIT: Finished F3AR. It didn't let me do the thing. Game not redeemed.

quote:

Obviously, I can't say a whole lot about the plot, because a lot of it hasn't been revealed yet, but I'm really glad that Armacham finally get some real poo poo sent their way, because they are cacklingly evil (in the :moreevil: Dr. Regal :moreevil: sense) and stupid (same) in a way that the Umbrella Corporation can only dream of.

YES. This, a thousand times yes.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 4, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The reason why you were a bit low on rocket ammo for the power armour fight was that you forgot to pick up the Rocket Launcher that the first Rocket soldier dropped.

I like the Sniper rifle in this game, although the ammo stops showing up after this point for a LONG time.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Sindai posted:

I've always enjoyed short sections in games where you get your hands on some of temporary awesome shitwrecking firepower.

That was a nice touch with the school sign letters at the end.

This is why I like the powered armoured section. It's really just a nice breather from tough firefights and spooky sections. The change of pace helps a lot.

Also, you can get out of the Powered armour at will, and on Hard, you may need to do so to let the shields regenerate.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I really like the part where you open a door with Stokes, have a vision, and when it ends, you are in a different place entirely and alone. That's quite unsettling, because it severs the player's sense of... causality? direction?

It probably would have been a bit better though, if Stokes didn't immediately radio you back, and you didn't know what happened to her.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
In FEAR 1, until the very end, none of the attempted scare scenes could actually hurt you. I like that in FEAR 2, the enemies you face in the scare sections can hurt you, which definitely helps keep the tension up.

I just used the rocket launcher on the Hammerhead soldiers. Two rockets kills them, and it's not like there's much else to use the RL on. The Hammerhead is quite effective at medium range if you double-tap people in the head with it. For long range, if I don't have a Sniper Rifle, the assault Rifle in single-shot mode is more accurate because there's less recoil.

I like the scene with Alma attacking from the elevator because all game long, you've been doing these "Hold E" events, where your gun is down and you're vulnerable. It's perfectly ripe for a scare, but nothing has ever happened. They held off on that until just now, after you've disposed of the nasty puppet scare section, and think it's all over.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

hectorgrey posted:

Pity that pistols are so rare though - I've found that even a single pistol out-performs an SMG in most firefights, though again that's in the original game.

Yeah, they really were pretty effective. I think that in Perseus Mandate, I attempted to do a "Pistols only" run, because in that expansion, they were so common that you'd practically never run out of ammo. That didn't actually end up working, at some point I did run out of ammo, but it took quite a while.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Snakefist? Snakefist?! SNAAAAAKKKEEEEFIIIISSSSSSST!!!

I had an infuriatingly hard time with the Vanek QTE my first time playing. It didn't help that it took a while for me to realize that it switches to a different button after you punch him in the face. Oddly enough, on my recent run-through, I beat Vanek as effortlessly as Lazyfire did in the video.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
On my recent playthrough, I used up most of my electric gun ammo killing the Replica Assassins near the level's exit. Sort of Terry's revenge. There wasn't much else to use it on unless I wanted to keep it around for ages.

On Hard, it seemed to me that there were a lot more than just three replica assassins near the lab exit.

Coming up is one of my least favorite levels.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

chitoryu12 posted:

You ninja posted me. I meant Stabbey posting about the fight at the end of the next level.

But I didn't. My comments were about the events in the last video, not about future levels.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The turret fight is really frustrating on Hard, because you will get hit, and can't dodge, and on Hard you take loads of damage.

I hate this level. Not just because it's a dull level, but because you're railroaded to go get Keegan back. My first thought when I was told to go get him was to say "gently caress that, he's on his own". I didn't give a poo poo about him, which makes the premise of this annoying.

I probably should have saved the electric gun ammo for the hallways after the police car fight, that would have been better.

The laser is not a very good gun because it hits only a single target, does little damage, and requires you to keep a constant line of sight, which is bad when there are multiple enemies.

I really like the non-attacking ghosts, which look kinda like afterimages you get after looking at something bright. They move around and it's hard to be sure that they're even there. It's a neat effect and a little unsettling.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Lazyfire missed a sniper rifle with a ton of ammo shortly before the pit before the theatre. On Hard that mech section is REALLY hard, and I often had to retreat and leap out of the mech to let it heal. For the boss mech, I bailed out at the last possible second and discovered once on foot, that I'd managed to kill it with my last shot, which was a relief.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That tram sequence is very, very hard on Hard difficulty, since you have very limited health and armor supplies. Those replica assassins are also really

I started trying to kill Keegan at this point, but sadly, the game won't let you. You can put your crosshairs over him, sure, but the gun just will not fire.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
On Hard, the turret section is really hard of course. I thought the choice of the Snakefist theme for music was funny, though.

The final fight is a nightmare on Hard because he does so much damage. Thankfully, the game I merciful, and after each round, there’s a checkpoint save and your armour is restored to full. Without that it would have been impossible.

Spudd posted:

Wait so how does that lead to F.E.A.R. 3? I've watched a few episodes of Blister and cKnoors(sp?) playthrough of it and now I don't understand anything at all when seeing that. :psyduck:

The connection only starts to show up at the end of the fourth level of F3AR. The first two levels have no connection to Fear at all, and the next two are only vaguely related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
After this ending, I really wanted FEAR 3 to involve us putting a bullet into Genevieve Aristide. It does not.

There’s a little bit of clever consistent internal logic that I only noticed after the second playthrough. All throughout the game, whenever Alma shows up, you’ve somehow managed to fight her off by punching her. But at the end, you can’t, because you were strapped down!

• Locked thread