Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Kate Burke

"Well... I mean, maybe there are laws underpinning magic, but we don't know them yet. New spells can be established, or discovered, but they don't follow any discernible pattern. Science is... like, well, seeing that things fall, and then thinking about it a while and realizing that's why the sun goes around the earth, and working out how big the sun and the earth need to be for that to happen the way it does. But... the way things work with magic on a small scale doesn't hold true on a larger scale. You can study magic, but you can't make predictions the same way."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Martin Green

"But... there has to be a pattern. Everything has a pattern. Even, like... random things have a pattern, unless they're truly random, and even then they're predictable to an extent." Martin's struggling here - he likes science, but he's not exactly first-place-science-fair material. "Nobody's explained that, like... all transformations follow similar laws, or that all enchantments of a certain type function the same way? Do wizards even know how... magic itself works?"

He thinks hard for a second or two. "Have you ever looked under a microscope? Maybe there are laws, but you don't have good enough tools or... magic. Magic tools. Or something..." He trails off, looking a bit embarrassed.

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 2, 2014

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Kate Burke

"There are laws, but they don't make sense. I can... well, not me, I'm not trained yet, but after I learned how to I could create a log, or a tree, or a patch of grass, or a bird, all from nothing. But, I couldn't create a plate of lettuce, or a cooked chicken, or anything else that was food. Because it's food, and you can't create food from nothing, even though you can create something that's just as complex as food and, from the point of view of science, basically the same thing. Similarly, I could create a block of lead, but absolutely not a block of gold, because gold is money and you can't create money. I could create iron, but not bronze. In fact, I could create copper or tin, but still not bronze. Not because it's an alloy, I could create iron and coal and also steel, but never bronze. Why? Nobody knows. I just wouldn't be able to. I could create anything I want, except for things I couldn't, and nothing connects those things I couldn't make except vague terms like food or money."
Kate shrugs.
"I mean, we've known about 'science' for five hundred or so years. It doesn't work on magic."

There's a pause as she blinks a few times, then suddenly blushes, cringing slightly.
"Not that it's a bad question! I found it really... annoying, when my tutor explained it to me, and I'm still a little put out by it is all."

zachol fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 1, 2014

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The new students quickly bond in the carriage exchanging little points of knowledge each from their own upbringing, uninterrupted apart from a witch with a sweet trolley and the occasional prefect poking their heads inside telling them to behave and get their robes on, as the Hogwarts Express rattled its way to Hogwarts. Just as the sun begins to go down the train slows and pulls into a station in a quiet village. A Slytherin prefect with long greyish hair told them to gather their things and wait at the far end of the platform. “Look for Hagrid, you won't be able to miss him.” He said with a slight sneer and, after the smallest of nods towards Cartimandua, went onto the next carriage.

The platform is awash with children, far worse than at Kings Cross as suddenly away from the gaze of their parents the urge to be loud and make a scene is overwhelming. The older students quickly push past the baffled and nervous first years, trapping them in a sea of bodies until eventually they hear a voice, booming out over the din.

“FIRST YEARS TO ME! FIRST YEARS HERE!”

At one end of the platform stood a huge man (a literal half-giant of a man for those in the know) who, once the timid first years approached him and said hello, introduced himself as Rubeus Hagrid, “Keeper of Keys and Grounds of Hogwarts and part time Professor of Care of Magical Creatures” He said proudly, “If you like animals then come to me, I'm yer man.”

Hagrid had a list of names with him (Sean Lewis, Grace Flume...) and once he'd double checked to make sure that all were accounted for he led the group away from the station. A narrow and well worn path plunged downwards and suddenly the group arrived at a lake, across the other side: Hogwarts!

Hagrid sized everyone up and sorted them into groups of four before ushering them into boats. “Just a tradition everyone!” He yelled cheerfully as many children looked at the lake nervously, “Everyone always makes it there safely.” He paused for a moment, looking thoughtful,“Well everyone always makes it at least!”

The gang is split up by Hagrid before being put into boats and pushed into the lake, Jacqueline, Martin and Elizabeth go in one boat while Yannick and Kate go in a second and Scot and Bitey are in a group with three other new students (after Hagrid gives Bitey a quick stroke).

The first year with Jacqueline, Martin and Elizabeth is a slightly starry eyed boy who spend the entire journey looking up at the castle, occasionally making a little squeak of happiness. Yannick and Kate sit aside a boy and a girl who turn out to be brother and sister, Frank and Amber Rosebottom, muggle-born and also very excited. Poor Scot however spends most of the journey holding onto Bitey who didn't like the water, the boats, the other children and suddenly wasn't particularly fond of Scot either and tried to show it. One of the other children, a seasick and grumpy looking girl, sent him particularly harsh glares.

But the flotilla set off and under Hagrids naval direction (“Don't lean so far out of the boat!”) they arrive at the foot of the castle, floating into an underground boathouse filled with wooden docks and lit by spluttering torches. Bats screech and flutter past as the boats smoothly glide to the dock and then patiently wait next to them, waiting for the children to get off. The young witches and wizards all step onto the wood decking and are ushered up the stairs into the castle proper.

For those who knew what to expect, everything you'd been told is true, for those of you who didn't, it's everything you imagined and more. Stone corridors, tapestries, chandeliers filled with drippy candles, portraits filled with moving people calling out greetings to you. The feeling of magic rests in the place, thick in the air and really driven home as an assortment of lights zip overhead like luminous birds and disappear through a wall.

Hagrid keeps a very close eye on all the first years, making sure none wander off in wonder, and eventually you arrive in front of a huge set of doors. On the other side you can hear a great murmuring, as if many people are all talking all at once drowning out the meaning of each others words and instead creating a vast monster of sound. Feelings of nervousness rise up in everyone except for Hagrid, who knocks on the doors and then waits.

“The Deputy Headmaster will be coming shortly to welcome you to Hogwarts.” Hagrid explained, a huge smile on his face, “An' then he'll take you all in to be Sorted. Just relax and prepare to start some of the best years of your life!”

With apparently a little bit of time before they progress onwards the first years look at each other nervously and a few huddle together and make hushed conversation. Martin finds himself next to the eager boy from his boat who had now started vibrating and looked like he might try to rush through the doors any second. Scot noticed that Bitey was sniffing at the shoes of the grumpy witch from the boat, she looked less seasick but only a little less grumpy and was trying to gently shoo the cat away. Kate is approached by another girl with brilliant blue eyes dressed in fine robes, "You're a Burke aren't you? I see the family resemblance."

I'm not invoking any aspects just yet but if you want to spend a Fate Point and create another first year then go ahead. So if you fancy creating the qualities of a friend or a nemesis already and want to meet them here then go ahead (I'll let you pick which house they go in as well).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Jacqueline Tanzer
Fate Points: 2

I spend a fate point to create my rival!

Jacqueline hadn't expected anything like this! First the carriages then the giant(she had no idea how right she was in that assessment) and then the boat and this it was the most amazing thing ever and wow this was just how people got to school how amazing would-

He thoughts were interrupted by a soft snicker behind her. She glance behind her and saw a boy glancing at her, the obvious source of the laugh. He was a black boy somewhat taller then her, with curly light hair. This brought a frown to her face. "Something funny?"

"Oh, nothing much. It's just so... cute, really. It's easy to tell you're muggleborn from the way you're running around staring at everything with your jaw down onto the floor." He said.

"Cute? And what's wrong with being err, muggleborn!"

"Nothing, really. It's just a little embarrassing for the people around you. I'm sure you'll grow out of it eventually."

Grow out of it? He was the same age as her! "Well maybe standing there like you're oh so cool is the embarrassing part! Nothing wrong with liking stuff!"

He scowled at that, "Listen here... err... what's your name anyways?"

"Not telling." She said with a smug grin, before turning back to find some of the people she had chatted with in the carriage.

This made the boy's teeth grind, "Well if you're going to be like that I'll just have to be the better man then! The name's Andrew Buckson, don't you forget it!"

"I'll be sure to!" She said, sticking out her tongue at him.

Meet Andrew Buckson! Jacqueline's rival in intellect and explosions. From a (mostly, his grandmother is a muggle)pureblood family with ancestors all the way back to the ancient Druids, he's frustrated by her complete ignorance for any sort of wizard custom and she's driven insane by his stuffiness and arrogance. He's confident in himself thanks to his extensive family history, and he has the abilities to back them up. Any class they're in together ends up a competition to learn the spell and get the best grade no matter what, with the teachers left hoping they don't hex each other in the process.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Martin Green
The boat ride was incredible, with Martin keeping his mouth shut for most of the ride (and focusing on keeping the boat upright - that boy was far too excited). The castle is... amazing. Martin spends the walk staring at everything - and keeping an eye on the staircases.

When they stop, Martin looks to his side. "Are you okay?" Martin looks down at the boy, who is currently doing his very best hummingbird impression. The boy looks up at him and nods vigorously. "Oh. Well. Okay. I'm really excited too," he says, giving him a small smile.

"I'm barely interested," a voice behind him says in curt tones. "It's nice and all, yes. But you two act as if you've never seen a properly magical residence before." Martin turns and finds a shorter boy, only up to Martin's chin, with short-cropped, dirty blond hair, heavy eyes and a slouch.

"I haven't," Martin says quietly. "I was raised a Muggle."

The boy rolls his eyes, a sneer forming across his face. "Well, try not to clap like an idiot at everything you see. God knows we've got enough of you fools running around along with everything else. I could have gone to Durmstrang, they're better about that sort of thing," he continues, his back straightening ever so slightly, "but my uncle seemed to think it was too foreign."

"I'll... keep it in mi-" Martin starts, but the other boy elevates his voice a bit louder. "He said I was needed here to keep Hogwarts a little more - how should I say - classy. You'd understand, at least you sound like you would," he says, tilting his head at Martin. "Maybe you'll do. I'm Edward. Edward Thorpe." He extends his hand, smiling - rather smugly, Martin thought, but he put forward his own hand anyways. "Martin Green."

"Mmm, yeah. You'll be alright. Just watch and learn, Martin... watch and learn, and maybe I can put you on the right path. Do you have a House in mind?"

"I don't know," Martin replies, looking up at a painting of a dragon guarding a pile of gemstones. "I just want to learn, and become good enough at... something... to make my mum and grandmum happy. They were Aurors. I think they'd personally prefer Slytherin-" he continues, being cut off before he can add "or Ravenclaw."

"Ahhh, yes. Slytherin. All the best witches and wizards - and a few mistakes, of course," he adds quickly. "My family have been in Slytherin for a hundred years, now. You'd do well there. I hope to see you at the table," he says, turning away as he catches the eye of a heavy-set girl wearing robes trimmed in green like Kate's.

I hope not, Martin thinks.

Blowing a fate point for...

Edward Thorpe, Slytherin: pure-blood, both magical and English. Accepts half-bloods and Muggle-borns as potentially useful servants or aspirants to a higher status, but detests foreigners - a quality he's picked up from his family. Right now Edward thinks Martin might be a serviceable bootlick because he's quiet and rather British in his own way, but once he finds out that Martin is destined for Ravenclaw and - even worse - is good friends with several foreigners (particularly an American), his mood will turn sour. He might still try to curry favors from Martin, or act like they're friendly; he's under orders from his family to make as many magical contacts as possible in an attempt to elevate their family line further, just like his older brother and sister are doing. But no matter how friendly he is with Martin, he will never consider him a peer.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Kate Burke
FP: 2

Kate turns and smiles ruefully, giving a slight bow.
"It's the nose, isn't it? Cartimandua Burke, though please do call me Kate. And you must be..."
Kate looks the girl over for a moment, then grins.
"Archer... Rosalynd Archer. Younger sister of Edric, daughter of Osbert and Sioned née Morris. Looking forward to your sorting, I bet?"

Rosalynd rocks slightly, smiling back a little despite herself.
"Impressive. Yes, Rosalynd Archer, and 'Rose' is just fine. And yes, I am looking forward to tonight, though I see some of us have jumped the wand."
She arches an eyebrow perfectly at Kate's clothes, and she just grins and shrugs.

"Old family robes. Why bother stripping out the trim just to turn around and put it back on?"
"True, I suppose. Seems a few others are following suit."

Rose smiles lightly, then glances over at Andrew Buckson. After a moment, Kate glances over as well, then looks back to Rose, quirking a smile.
"A bit gauche, don't you think?"
"I know. Ridiculous. Some people really need to learn to keep their mouth shut."
"He sounds like a dinosaur."
Rose sniffs, silent for a moment.
"Too true. Especially ironic that he's wailing on about 'embarrassment.' Look in a mirror you fool."
"Twit."
"Simpleton."
"Dunce."
"Dolt."
"Jackass."
Rose snorts, then gazes off somewhere else, disinterestedly.

"Do you think the song will drag on a bit? Feeling peckish."
"It's likely to emphasize unity, no? Did you hear about it from your brother?"
"Edric wouldn't talk to his little sister to save his life. Fiona... you know house Flynn? Fff, of course you do. Fiona Flynn, a third year now, was visiting us with her family this last summer, and had a few things to say about it. Yes, we understand, unity and forgiveness and moving forward and all that rubbish, just get on with it why don't you."
"It's always sounded a bit rubbish no matter what. Not sure what else to expect."
"It's a thousand-year hat that does nothing but sit on a shelf most of the time. It could do better than constantly recycle the same song."

Kate shrugs, and the two are silent for a while.

A Frenemy Appears!
Rosalynd Archer, another pureblood. Absolutely ending in Slytherin. Goes for the 'aloof and polite' vibe. Would've gotten along fine with Kate, but will probably be a little peeved when she ends up 'ditched' in favor of Ravenclaw. The two might get along, or they might not. Who knows!

zachol fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 2, 2014

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Scot Woodham
FP: 3

Scot goes to pick up Mr. Bitey, "Hey come on now, you bothered her enough on the boat."

"I am very sorry about earlier," Scot apologized as he picked up his cat, "He has never been on a boat before. I figured he would be ok if I held him during it."

He sighs a bit and then says "Clearly I thought wrong, anyways uh..." He then holds out his free hand, "Name is Scot! Hopefully my cat will leave you be for a bit."

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Yannick van der Rijn
FP: 3

Yannick is pushed around by the huddles of kids as he wanders through the halls. He tries to duck away but some Hufflepuff prefect leads him back to the herd. He pulls at his robes anxiously and tries to engage himself in conversation with a few other new students to no avail. Failing that, he wanders back over to Kate and her other friend.

"Hey, uhh, what is he gonna say anyway? My mom went to Beauxbatons, so I don't really know what to expect."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Kate Burke

Kate looks at Yannick, vaguely surprised.
"Who... oh, the hat? It just sings. The song doesn't really matter. After it's finished, you put it on your head, and it reads your mind, and sorts you into a house. Once everyone's sorted, the Headmistress gives a little welcoming speech and we eat."

She glances between the two, then makes a short motion, smiling.
"Rose, this is Yannick van der Rijn. He's from the Netherlands. Very exotic. Yannick, this is Rosalynd Archer."

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Martin Green

Martin sidles up to Kate and Yannick, listening to Kate talk about the Hat and wiping his hand on his robe. "Oh, that's how that works? Mum wasn't very clear on that..."

"Anyways," he continues, wiping his hand again, "did you ever feel like you were being... evaluated? Like something you could buy at a shop?" He shivers a little, drawing his robes in. "I'm going to stay with you two. Some of these people are... a little too interesting."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Elizabeth

Elizabeth looks around carefully. She tries to find the balance between disinterest and too much awe. She's not some wildseed, she's well familiar with the works of magic from home. But... not at this size. And even without that, this is Hogwarts. And her parents had told her how important first impressions were. Her thoughts turned to what house she would be. Her parents had told her they were sure that whatever house she'd be in, they were sure she'd make them proud, but their stories tended to mention how great everyone thinks the Gryffindor are. But she never thought herself as such a hero. No, she mostly hoped to become the best witch she could be. So that everyone would see her and say...

"You stupid yank!"

The outcry pushes her out of her reverie and looking at a slight scuffle. A brown haired boy seems to be having an argument with a short blonde kid.

"This stupid yank'll kick your rear end, blondie. You wanna say that thing again?" He steps forward to reach for the smaller boy, who hastily leaps away.

Elizabeth' eyes widen as she saw more and more gazes starting to get drawn to the altercation. A fair few seem about to intervene, and mostly in favor of the shorter boy. No, this is exactly NOT what she needs now. Briefly she looks around for a possible teacher to intervene. But it was clear this thing was seconds away from getting really bad. So she intervenes herself.

Stepping in between the two boys she raises a hand. "Excuse me. I'm sure there's some kind of eh... misunderstanding here. We don't want to get in trouble when we're right here, do we? Probably just eh... people don't getting eachother's sense of humour."

The blonde boy finds himself getting supported by a few others sneers. "Hm, another American hm? Is that how you handle things there? Start trouble and have a girl come to rescue you if it gets scary?"

The American boy cursed. "Scary? You little twerp, Come here and I'll show you scary..." Undeterred by the boy's numerical superiority, he tried to get past Elizabeth, who moved in his way. He didn't seem willing to actually shove her aside though. The blonde boy seemed somewhat taken aback at the possibility of assault.

"Look, it's the first time here. Everyone's really nervous and stuff. Let's just... not do this right now? We're at Hogwarts, we can't act like litle kids fighting on the playground here."

The blonde boy seems somewhat influenced there, adjusting his clothes. "Hmpf, an American doesn't have to tell me how to act at Hogwarts." With that, he turned away to leave, and the attention of the surrounding kids was quickly lost on the little scene.

"What the heck did you think you're doing?" Elizabeth turns to reprimand the taller boy.

"Well, he was talking poo poo about foreigners. And badmouthing America. I mean, I wasn't just gonna stand there and..."

"So you start a fight? Look, we're both Americans, right? We're representing our country. You're not doing that well starting a fight before you're even sorted. Even if they're... jerks." She put her hands on her hips.

The wind does seem to leave the boys sails a bit. He takes a deep breath and nods. "All right, fine. Fine. Anyway, my name's Peter Ashton, from New York. My parents moved to London for their work a year ago. A few months ago I suddenly got told I had magic."

"Nice to meet you, Peter. I'm Elizabeth Dawson, from Virginia. Look, I know this is a lot getting used to, considering you've probably never seen magic, but remember, this is one of the best schools, no, the best school in the world for magic. You're really lucky that you can be here! So don't do things that might get you expelled!" She said.

He sighs. "I guess. Honestly, sometimes I wonder if I should have come at all. I mean, magic is cool and all, but everything looks so old here. Like, hey, it's 2002 right?"

She takes part of his robes; "Don't say that. Magic is a wonderful gift. Most people never get to use it. Never get to even know it exists. But it's... look, you want people to say the American clearly couldn't handle Hogwarts? That we aren't good enough for it?"

"No!"

"Well, then show them. Just... don't go around attacking people. And stick with this."

Creating a headache/ally/foil for Catherine. The other American Peter Ashton. Muggleborn, from parents that moved to London shortly before he was discovered to have magical talents. He's brave and proud, but also brash with a penchant for violence. Thinks magic is cool and all, but also misses TV, video games, etc. Gonna end up in Gryffindor

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 3, 2014

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Kate Burke

"Mmm. Rose, this is Martin Green. Magical family, but they avoided wizarding society on account of, well, you know who and all that, so he's learning quite a bit. Martin, this is Rosa... lynd..."

She trails off as the... incident, regarding the other American, plays out.
"Well... yes, you are being evaluated. But generally it's just a matter of not being an absolute embarrassment like that. Anyway, this is Rosalynd Archer."

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Martin Green

Martin looks over his shoulder and shuffles ever so slightly closer. "Hello, yes," he says, extending his hand. "How do you do? Do you think it will grow more or less polite here as we become more capable of quietly hexing each other? I'm hoping for 'more', honestly."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Kate Burke

Kate laughs, delicately.
"I suppose I haven't experienced it, but everything I've heard is that the... boisterous sort also have a tendency towards hexes themselves. Foul language at least has the virtue of being fairly obvious when it happens."

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

"I'll know your name when you're Sorted anyway, Mrs Mysterious." Andrew said to Jacqueline with a shrug, "I'm sure you'll be hoping to join me at one of the better houses anyway."

"It's not the house, it's the person." Suddenly Amber Rosebottom butted in, "All the houses have great wizards, visionaires even."

Andrew looked round at her, "Oh well yes but it's a bit of an early indicator isn't it? Where you're placed is what direction you are headed, sort of thing? Not every house is equally likely to get the Harry Potters are they?"

---

The girl took Scots hand gave it a formal shake and then let go again. "I'm hope so too; I would not describe myself as an animal person. My name is Iris Kincaid. So are your family wizards? Muggles?"

----

"Call me Rose." Rose said politely, extending her hand to Yannick and then Martin, "Yes this new foreign element that Minerva is trying to introduce here, it must be very exciting for you I'm sure; seeing the best that we have to offer. Although one of the teachers is from the continent as well."

When Martin appeared she gave a smug smile, "Yes but it is a magic hat. It won't see things that aren't there, you see? It'll point you in the right direction with the right people. Not to say the house rivalries haven't caused the occasional hexing match, but I do wonder how intense the dueling society gets."

---

"I'd only just gotten used to normal England." Peter said, suddenly realising he was being noticed by others for his outburst, "Now I've got to go and do it all over again for magic England. I can do it though, I can show them."

I think the actually sorting and speech may have to be another massive post early Saturday, but I'm going to try and keep them this sort of length for the most part. Thanks everyone for having different names for everyone!

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Kate Burke

Kate harrumphs.
"Oh, Minerva is it?"
She grins at Rose, quick-like, then puts on a serious face for Yannick and Martin.
"Don't let the headmistress hear you calling her something so casual, or she'll bat your ears off. Literally. Rose here would think that was posh, considering she is an Archer, they're ever so well connected. Speaking of,"

She glances back to Rose, a bit intent now.
"A professor from the continent? I have to admit, I hadn't heard of that. Who is he? Or she?"

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Scot Woodham

"I'm halfblood actually," Scot replies, "Mum is the witch in the family."

"We tended to live more like muggles I suppose, not entirely sure on the why of that. Anyways, how about your family?"

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"Oh of course, I wouldn't dream of referring directly to the Headmistress as such." Rose said, Her words sounded sincere but somehow her attitude makes you think she probably would. "It's the new potions master." She replied to Kates question about the professor. "He's Bavarian. The governers seemed happy to have him so he must be good."

---

"Wizards mostly." Iris said a little wistfully, "My parents are magical and so am I. Dunno how I'll do though."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Kate Burke

"A Bavarian? Fascinating. I wonder if he used to teach at Durmstrang, or if he was just an independent master... oh, but that means Sluggy's retired, then. So who's going to be our new head of house? Surely not the Bavarian? They'd want to get an actual former Snake in, unless... well, if he studied at Hogwarts before."

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Yannick van der Rijn

Yannick slides up beside Kate.

"Kate, Bavaria is in Germany on the opposite side from the Netherlands, only a few hours from Paris. It is about the same distance from Hogwarts as Durmstrang. North for Durmstrang, north west for Hogwarts. With Beauxbatons only about half that, west." Yannick whispers, trying to let Kate in on her slip up before anyone else notices.

"They'd probably have their pick on whatever school they wanted, if they were willing to travel a bit. But Beauxbatons is the closest, the other two less so." He adds.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Martin Green

Martin is attempting to subtly trace a map of Europe in the air, trying to remember exactly where Bavaria is, when he overhears Yannick's brief explanation. He puts his finger down, turns away and blushes slightly. He could have sworn Bavaria was up in those Nordic countries...

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Kate Burke

Kate hisses back.
"It's in Germany. 'Durmstang' is a German name. Germans go to Durmstrang. QED."

She smiles at Rose, giving a sort of half wink, half nod towards Yannick to cover their little argument.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Yannick van der Rijn

Yannick just sort of shrugs at her, walking over to Martin. "She's just rainbows and fairies all the way down, isn't she?"

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Martin Green

Martin shrugs back, turning to face away from Kate. Not that he's going to say anything rude, it just feels... impolite not to. "Eh. You know where she stands, at least. And she's pretty nice, other than the... uh. Bluntness? Shame about the whole Slytherin thing, though... I would have liked classes with her. She seems like she could help me catch up very easily."

He pauses for just a split second, then leans in, whispering. "Are fairies real? Is that a thing I should know?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Elizabeth

"Good." Elizabeth says. "Look, America is not really, a big country when it comes to magic. There's a lot of people going to think we can't make it here." She gives a look at the other people around. "We're going to prove them wrong. And you can always talk with some of the English kids here who haven't seen magic before. They're probably as new at this as you are. And you know, if it comes to magic, you can ask me for advice."

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

The great doors in front of them open and the noise coming from inside swells. A man steps through and quickly shuts the door behind him.

"Hello!" He said cheerfully, looking around at all the children in front of him, "Welcome to Hogwarts. My name is Professor Goodwin Nitt, I am the Deputy Head of Hogwarts and the Ministry of Magics Liason to the school. I'm also the Head of Slytherin house and you'll all be seeing me regularly at Muggle Relation lessons. But enough about myself, right now this is about you; our new students! Tonight we have a start of term banquet to welcome everyone, whether returning or for the first time, but before that we have a little ceremony to perform: your Sorting. Hogwarts has four houses, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin, into which all our students are sorted. These houses act as your home while here at Hogwarts, providing support, community, fellowship and an environment suitable to bring out the very best in each of you, a job in which they perform marvellously at. Excellent work by students, whether academically, sportingly or simply demonstrating the best qualities we expect at Hogwarts will earn their house points, while rule breaking or taking House rivalries too far will cause your house to lose points: so remember act only in ways which will bring pride to your school AND your house." He paused for a moment, studying each of the students, "I can see you're all capable of this and more! Now it is time to enter the hall, the Hat will sing its song and then sort you; once it has announced your house please make your way directly to the houses table."

And with that Goodwin turn and opened the doors along with Hagrid, and together you all walk into the hall.

Hundreds of eyes from the other students turn to face the new arrivals as Goodwin takes them up the central corridor right up to the raised tables at the end of the hall at which the faculty sat. Just before this was a simple stool and on it sat the Hogwarts Sorting Hat. As Goodwin stopped the hat suddenly stirred and a sort of face formed in its folds, fabric eyes blinking and a fold acting as a mouth. Fully active, it began.

Hogwarts is a magic school
Founded by the best
Built once, rebuilt again
For magic shall not rest

And so we journey onwards
Becoming expert in our craft
Learning spells, bewitchment, sorcery,
how to brew a potions draft

So lets not forget our past
For it is with us still
Building on what came before
Perhaps by its own will

But which house beckons for you
What traits do you possess
Which founder do you mirror
What aspects do you express?

Are you perhaps a Hufflepuff
Loyal to the end
Full of determination
Who wants more in a friend?

Gryffindor, great Gryffindor
Bravest hearts around
If travelling in danger
Here companions will be found

Or are you a Ravenclaw?
Wisdom is your tool
Any who overlooks you
It is they who are the fool

You could well be a Slytherin
You might already know
For they always have great aims
Help them to get there and all of you will grow.

Please come up here beside me
And place me on your brow
I'll put you in your rightful place
So no worries, try me now!

And so the Hat fell quiet but it was quickly replaced by applause from the audience; although it seemed a little patchy in places across the room. With a small gesture a woman sitting at the centre of the top table silenced the room and indicated to Goodwin who began calling out names to be Sorted. Pressure builds as you wait for your names until eventually you are called and the Hat announces.....

RAVENCLAW!

With great emotion you make your way over to your new house table, along with the girl twin, Amber Rosebottom, who looks really surprised and a little upset as her brother Frank goes to Hufflepuff. A darkhaired girl prefect comes over to each of you,

"Welcome to Ravenclaw everyone, my name is Camilla. I'm Head Girl this year so if you've got any questions or have any problems come to me or Professor Flitwick ok? He's our head of House."

Quick interlude here for each of you to narrate your Sorting (I figure a few of you might want to say quite a lot) and have a little chat amongst you new Ravenclaws.

namesake fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 13, 2014

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Kate Burke

Front of the line, nearly. This Goodwin seems alright, rather fetch, nice that her head will be this and not the Bavarian. There goes the hat with its dumb song.
Ah, sorting. Archer goes to Slytherin, naturally, and their eyes briefly connect with a smile before she takes her seat, and then...

"Cartimandua Burke!"

She glides up to the stool, expressionless, gazing over the hall, eyes eventually resting on the Slytherin table, and gently rests the hat on her head.
Silence.
"Hm."
"What?"
"A tricky one, here."
"It seems clear enough to me. Get on with it."
"It appears at some point you got the wrong idea on how this all is meant to work."
Silence, again.
"You don't want to go to Slytherin. You would hate it. You're ambitious, but with a selfless cause. You don't care about power, fame, or wealth. You hate your family, and most everyone in Slytherin besides. Why should you be sorted there?"
Silence, again.
"It would be nice if you thought a little better of this old hat, even if only for the school's sake. This is about what will be best for you, not what will fulfill expectations, and what will be best for you here is going to be RAVENCLAW!"

Kate remains stunned for a few moments, then tears the hat from her head, dropping it on the stool as she charges down to the table, hopping onto the bench.
Her face burns red, and she keeps her gaze firmly planted on her hands, or occasionally her new house-mates, but even so her an expression manages to leak out, one of pure joy.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Martin Green

Martin watches in amazement as Kate... goes to Ravenclaw?

What?

Feeling ever so slightly confused, he watches a few other Sortings, then...

"Martin Green!"

Swallowing quietly, Martin walks up to the battered hat and, gingerly, perches it upon his head. He starts slightly as he hears the Hat... inside his head?

"Mmm. Mm. Harder than it seems, no?"

"Oh my God you're talking in my head."

"You'll get used to it. Now. A House for Martin... mother in Ravenclaw, grandmother in Slytherin. Not that you'd want to be with Slytherin, no?"

"Not... really, no." Martin eyes Edward from under the brim of the Hat before averting his eyes. "Ideally, no."

"Well, well... you wouldn't be bad off there. Maybe a bit lonely? You'd be happy in Hufflepuff, although lonely in a different way, too. And then Gryffindor, same problem... well, that leaves you to RAVENCLAW!"

Martin pulls the hat off his head and gently sets it back on the stool before proceeding towards the Ravenclaw table. He has to admit, they look his type at least. And the Head Girl is nice. And... well, Kate's here and she's nice enough. He drops down into an unoccupied seat next to her, shaking the hand of a sixth-year politely.

"So, is there a charm to fix your robes now, Kate?" he says with a small smile. "I didn't think this would happen, that's for sure. You seemed so... certain."

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 14, 2014

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Kate Burke

Kate grins at Martin, smoothing her robes.
"Good to see you. No, there's usually a charm, there'll be one for yours and everyone else who wasn't enough of a git to have them done ahead of time, but it's meant for blank robes, new standard ones, or hand-me-downs of the same, and these are... antiques, sort of? Very, very old. It would be disrespectful. No, I'll have to redo the trim myself."
She winks, still giddy.
"I'm not terribly accomplished, but it'll be simple enough. Us Burkes... well, we tend to deal with interesting objects that don't react well to having charms used on them, even with the intention of repair, so we're fairly skilled at nonmagic restoration, Muggle-style. My father's been teaching me a fair long while about this sort of thing."

She pulls the robes out a bit, grinning at the trim.
"Probably the first time I'll ever have had any fun doing it, though. Eheheh."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Jacqueline Tanzer

"Jacqueline Tanzer!"

It was her turn! She skipped over to the hat, picking it up and slipping it over her head."A talking hat! I wonder how it works and how it picks which house we end up in it's really neat!" She thought.

"Oh ho a curious one!"

"Holy crap are you reading my mind."
She nearly shouted that out loud.

"It's a bit more complex then that, but yes I do get a look at each students mind and wishes to pick their house."
The hat thought back.

"So what house to you think I belong in?"

"Well, I haven't quite decided yet! Like most people you have qualities that could justify you fitting into any of the four. Hmm... overall I'd say that it's a tie between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw. Your courageous, steadfast, and friendly, but also clever studious and curious."

"Ravenclaw... that's the one known for being smart right?"

"Well, not to say the other houses are full of fools Miss Tanzer, still, I can see where your heart is leaning towards so...
Ravenclaw!" That last part the hat said out loud.

"OK!" She said, jumping off the stool with joy, "Ravenclaw it is!" She began to walk to her new classmates.

"Miss, I think you should take me off first, I still need to sort more students."

"Ah!" She blushed, taking off the Sorting Hat and passing it to the next student coming up, her face turning redder as some laughter filled the hall.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Elizabeth Dawson

"Elizabeth Dawson"

Elizabeth's heart races as she steps forward, very aware of the eyes on her. She solemnly steps forward, keeping her face carefully neutral as she sits down. With both hands she almost reverently puts the Sorting hat on her head. This is it. Hogwarts!

"Oh, it does an old hat's stitches good to see people hold Hogwarts in such high esteem still."

She forces herself to keep her thoughts calm and collected "Greetings, Sorting Hat. Yes, most wizards have heard of Hogwarts, and the sorting hat."

"Hahah, bit of a honeyed tongue on you sometimes, girl? You definitely knew how to get that boy to do what you want. That can serve ambition well. And you are ambitious, aren't you? Nothing wrong with that. Those are often the greatest... if they aren't the worst. What do you think? House Slytherin could use some new blood."

"I've thought about it. They want a fresh start. I'm an outsider, but not ah... of... muggle birth. And there's still a lot of children of influential families there, and I know that a great number of them rise high in wizarding society. I think I might do well."

"But is it what you want?"

"I'm not... I'm not sure."

"Tell me, girl. Why are you here so far from home. You know you could have asked your parents not to send you. But you're so eager for Hogwarts. Why is that?"

The answer came immediately. "Because Hogwarts has better teachers, better libraries, more knowledge. And I want to learn to become the best witch!"

"Hah, and getting knowledge is just a matter of asking the right questions, isn't it? I'm glad I could give the first lesson here. Ravenclaw!" it finished out loud. Elizabeth straightened in surprise. Catching herself she carefully took the hat off, gave it a respectful nod and placed it back.

As she walked towards the Ravenclaw table her look briefly darted to the Slytherin table. Then focused on the Ravenclaw. No sense in thinking about what could have been. She was in Ravenclaw, and she was going to work to become such a good witch she would just make friends in high places while she worked along with them!

Seeing the people she shared the train with, she smiled and sat with them. "Well, a good thing we got along on the train, then isn't it?" She smiles at Camilla as she greets her. "Thank you. I might very well take you up on that in a bit. Right now I mostly want to sit down a bit."

As she speaks Peter Ashton puts the hat on his head after giving it a grimace. It pretty much yells out "Gryffindor" as soon as the other American puts it on its head. He seems about to protest the quickness of the choice when he gives Elizabeth a look and then just marches off to his table.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Kate Burke

Kate grins at Elizabeth.
"Hmm, this is quite nice. Good to be in the same house. I had actually been somewhat hoping you'd end up in Slytherin as well, but this is even better!"
She sniffs, then glances over to the line.
"Although I do doubt we'll all get into the same house. Woodham and van der Rijn both seem more Gryffindor-ish."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Jacqueline Tanzer

"The hat said I would fit in Gryffindor." Jackie spoke up, having mildly recovered from that scene, "But I wanted to be here, you know? It doesn't ignore what we want, which is nice." She laughed and patted Kate on the back, "I mean, you got where you wanted! I guess it depends on the person. Some people get called faster then others."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Kate Burke

"Ha ha! Well, I assumed it was going to screech 'Slytherin!' the moment it touched my head. I wasn't expecting any sort of... conversation, or choice for myself."
She relaxes, watching the sorting, her grin turned to a soft smile.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Scot Woodham

"Scot Woodham"

Scot rather quickly headed to the hat doing all but running over there.

"Now now what do we have here, hmm seems you like to impress"

Scot was not sure if that was a compliment or not.

"But that seems to be more about you showing others what you know because you think what you know is great, a good love of knowledge there"

Scot thinks, "Wherever you think will work, you are the magic hat afterall"

"Yes, but you are the student going to spend his time here, so you should put some investment into this, I thiiiink- Ravenclaw!"

Scot then hops off the stool and heads down to the Ravenclaw table and sees his friends from the train. "I wonder if the hat plans things like that," Scot muses looking at his fellow students, "I mean keeping people who already get along in the same house. Or maybe its just a coincidence."

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Yannick van der Rijn

Yannick stood near the back of the pack, safe in the assumption that regardless of whether the list went by first name or last, he'd end up being one of the last kids alphabetically.

"Yannick van der Rijn."

Yannick freezes, he shouldn't be here, he's Dutch, he's got to go to Beauxbatons, he doesn't have friends at home, let alone here! His breath quickens and he takes a step backwards.

"Yannick van der Rijn!"

One of the remaining kids pushes him forward, and he carefully walks towards the hat. He sees a few of the jerks in Slytherin who were messing with him sneering. They'll get their due, just give it...

"Oh now that's not very nice at all, now is it?

...time... Wait, what? He hadn't even noticed them placing the hat on his head.

"Yes, boy, I can hear your brain running. Life hasn't done you well, you're angry about him being taken from you and your mother far too early. All that pain, it could serve as a great motivator, ambition even..."

This ancient piece of leather was going to throw him to the dogs! He began planning his escape, forgetting the stupid jerk of a hat on his head. How could he survive this year, and then get transferred to Paris? Could he make it happen? Could his mother?

"Oh, your mind is an interesting one to watch. You want mutual support, and to learn to face your problems. Gryffindor or Hufflepuff could do you well."

His mind relented. But where would he make up the skills that Beauxbatons students learned in their extra year? Would he be up to par back home?

"Ah, I see how it is. You don't know it yet, but you're best suited to RAVENCLAW!" the Hat finished

Yannick was jolted out of his thoughts by the loud declaration. He smiled, hurrying over to his new classmates.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Kate Burke

Kate frowns, slightly, looking between Scot and Yannick.
"Yes... it's certainly odd. Although it would certainly be silly to sort just based on that, so I'm not sure what's going on."

She shrugs, then waves at the odd girl out, smiling generously.
"Hello! Amber Rosebottom, was it? Nice to meet you. You might have heard earlier, I'm Cartimandua Burke, but please do call me Kate. My family's rather old-fashioned."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Jacqueline Tanzer

"It's a magic talking hat that can read your mind. I think it probably knows what's best. Maybe." She shrugged, before waving to the new Ravenclaws. "Hey there! Nice to see you guys again!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Martin Green

Martin smiles at the newcomers. "Quite the coincidence, I guess. Maybe there was a bit of magic in the air," he deadpans.

"I can honestly say that I'm just worried about food, now. Does that happen next?" he continues, peering up and down the table.

• Locked thread