Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
were you the guy who posted about dating a deaf girl in the last GBS okc thread? b/c if so then its nice to see its still working out :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

What's her O face look/sound like?>

It varies. Sometimes shes pretty quiet but other times maybe a sealion or an out of tune trombone.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Sometimes shes pretty quiet but other times maybe a sealion or an out of tune trombone.

Is this the kind of poetry that the love of your life inspires

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

It varies. Sometimes shes pretty quiet but other times maybe a sealion or an out of tune trombone.

This is sweet y'all but im glad i'm not your neighbour.

EDIT: How did you end up dating a deaf person, did you wait outside your local British Institute for the Deaf (Do they have institues for the deaf, I know the blind do) and snag a pretty one?

Why does the institute for the blind have a sign?

Does the institute for the deaf have a doorbell?

How does your girlfriend know when someones at the door if you ain't in?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Moola posted:

:mrgw: my girlfriends got no hearing!

:anime: how does she smell?

:mrgw: bloody awful!

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

is it like this

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
when you went to the theme park i assume you went on some rides

was she all grunty shrieky goose there too? i think thats the only thing that would turn me off to be honest but i guess you're all human.
not me iam a golden god

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

dam that seal tote ksed that other seal

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Tomahawk posted:

How long do you have before they have to put her down?

Same question to you re: your own mother.

Batterypowered7 posted:

-How proficient is she at lip reading?
-Did you already know some BSL before dating her, or is it something you picked up after you started dating?
-How long have you guys been together now?
-Do you always approach her from an angle she can easily see you, or are purposely heavy footed so you don't surprise her?

She cant lip read at all, deaf children are generally brought up one of two ways and that's the other i.e. lip reading and taught to try and talk. Its massively controversial and if you want to know why look up Milan 1880 on google. Basically signing is quick, easy and natural for deaf people and was repressed by educators following on from this event in favour of learning orally which is not any of these things.

Didn't know any so meeting her for the first time was massively daunting, however i learned to fingerspell in advance which takes only 5 minutes to do and with her teaching me a few signs as we went along and writing a lot of things down we got there in the end. Kinda cool that i have a notebook somewhere at home which is essentially our entire 'first date'. When that date went well and we clicked i made the effort to learn BSL via online resources youtube etc and the need to write things is a lot less.

We've only been going out a few months now but getting pretty serious we've met the families etc. Mine are making an effort to learn some signs but im still acting as a translator most of the time which can get a bit tiring. And my 5 year old neice has learned to fingerspell her name and a couple of signs which is kinda cute i think.

Nope, sometimes its fun to sneak up on her ;)

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
What does your family think? Are they accepting?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

:nws:i imagine its more like this:nws:

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

G.I. Jaw posted:

When she pisses you off, do you ever call her mean names since she can't hear you anyway? I imagine that would be a great way to blow off steam and not get in trouble.

We haven't had many full blown fights but yeah I've been known to say a few choice words when turned away. In general as mentioned earlier the signing just gets a little faster and ruder. Have you seen the deaf guy in the Fargo tv show? Like you could tell when he was pissed from his body language and his signs just came across a little... harsher its all about emoting, really good actor my gf is pretty sure he's definitely deaf and not pretending from how smoothly his signs flow though ASL is a foreign language to her.

AdvancesMONKEY
Mar 30, 2010

by Lowtax
Do you get the sense, even if she cant hear, you cant speak loudly around her?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

We haven't had many full blown fights but yeah I've been known to say a few choice words when turned away. In general as mentioned earlier the signing just gets a little faster and ruder. Have you seen the deaf guy in the Fargo tv show? Like you could tell when he was pissed from his body language and his signs just came across a little... harsher its all about emoting, really good actor my gf is pretty sure he's definitely deaf and not pretending from how smoothly his signs flow though ASL is a foreign language to her.

Yeah that was an actually deaf actor, IIRC.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

-How proficient is she at lip reading?

i've been brought up my whole life lip reading and while very useful, there's too many people who don't talk properly (looking at you goons, stop mumbling)

mrhotdogvendor
May 28, 2006
very tired hispanic

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Is this an anime thing?

there are a number of mangas about couples that are dating and either one or both have a disability. Most common theme is deafness.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Xachariah posted:

i've been brought up my whole life lip reading and while very useful, there's too many people who don't talk properly (looking at you goons, stop mumbling)
Are there like accents when it comes to trying to read lips? Like would you be able to guess where someone is from based on lip reading?

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Don Tacorleone posted:

Sheeeeeit nigga, why you posting this bullcocky in mah SA Forums? You think we're so boring and white rear end that we're wondering all day how your deaf bitch is fukkin you? gtfo outta mah forums, my internet time is too important to be wasting on dis sh*t

"communication bubbles", sheeeeeit

Thread had an E/N tag if you don't want to read about relationships etc. check the tag before you click. Homie.

A misanthrope posted:

is the cuck thing still happening?

(in sign language) do not reproduce thnks

This is indeed the sign for abortion (but a tame version, it can be preceded by miming pulling a fetus from your belly) and im glad to know it in case of an accident.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

nutranurse posted:

were you the guy who posted about dating a deaf girl in the last GBS okc thread? b/c if so then its nice to see its still working out :3:

Yep that's me, ta very muchly :)

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Don Tacorleone posted:

Is this the kind of poetry that the love of your life inspires

Maybe i have a thing for sea lions and if so i should never be allowed to visit sea world however if i do I'll get in half price so there's that.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
If you guys ever had a kid and it turns out to be hearing, will you get the knitting needles and pop its eardrums?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

Are there like accents when it comes to trying to read lips? Like would you be able to guess where someone is from based on lip reading?

Yeah I can only really understand local people and especially people I know, accents and all change the mouth shape too much.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

d3c0y2 posted:

This is sweet y'all but im glad i'm not your neighbour.

EDIT: How did you end up dating a deaf person, did you wait outside your local British Institute for the Deaf (Do they have institues for the deaf, I know the blind do) and snag a pretty one?

Why does the institute for the blind have a sign?

Does the institute for the deaf have a doorbell?

How does your girlfriend know when someones at the door if you ain't in?

OKCupid liked her profile messaged her didnt know she was deaf til she messaged me back thought about it for a while then realised it would be wrong to let that stop me dating her (was worried i would be really bad at communicating) and glad for it. Had she put it on her profile in not sure i would have messaged her at the time.

I tell her when she gets a text etc, its only ever jo-ho's at the door her alarm clock is cool though its attached to a vibrating pad beneath her pillow, caught me by surprise first time around.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Op: are we dating?

Gf: ner nhh muh errrr

Op: yeh we're dating lol

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
if you cry every night after jackin into a sock and ur retard gf is too handicapped to hear it does it still make a sound

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

That sounds really cute I wish I had a deaf girlfriend.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

so i learned that def girls fake orgasms as well today

loud dildo
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
I bet it's pretty hard to get away with farting around her because you can't just turn on the radio to cover it up.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Gnack posted:

if you cry every night after jackin into a sock and ur retard gf is too handicapped to hear it does it still make a sound

oh ur edgy :haw:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Don Tacorleone posted:

Sheeeeeit nigga, why you posting this bullcocky in mah SA Forums? You think we're so boring and white rear end that we're wondering all day how your deaf bitch is fukkin you? gtfo outta mah forums, my internet time is too important to be wasting on dis sh*t

"communication bubbles", sheeeeeit

you type like a drunk retard

do you talk like that because lol if so

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Drunk & Ugly posted:

when you went to the theme park i assume you went on some rides

was she all grunty shrieky goose there too? i think thats the only thing that would turn me off to be honest but i guess you're all human.
not me iam a golden god

We went on a poo poo ton and it was ace, tbh shes a bit braver than me with the rides and didn't scream or make a noise or anything and it was pretty cool to rock to the front of the queue like VIPs and it probably pissed a lot of people off.

InFlames235 posted:

What does your family think? Are they accepting?

They think shes really lovely and like her more than a lot of other girls I've been out with but then that doesn't take much, i even dated an American a while back.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

AdvancesMONKEY posted:

Do you get the sense, even if she cant hear, you cant speak loudly around her?

Yeah sometimes i have to remind myself that i literally can say anything, im getting used to that but at first itd be like i was in the bathroom making a loud poop for instance and id think oh poo poo i hope she didn't hear that and then remember she didn't, unless her deafness is all one massive troll in which case fair play for the effort shes put in.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

e: wrong thread

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Xachariah posted:

i want to smack people who mumble

same for people who don't use any lip movements and talk inside their mouth

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

nutranurse posted:

Yeah that was an actually deaf actor, IIRC.

Interesting. I think what i liked about the role is that they could have gone for the usual safe option of making him a good guy and a sympathetic character because god forbid they upset anyone but instead made him a stone cold psychopath, and why not right?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
OP what does she look like and you look like

need for research in how much going for deaf ones allow you to hit above your weight

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

is the x-files pc game worth playing? i'm sort of on an x-files kick right now, watching episodes and stuff and just wondering about the game

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

Brannock posted:

i want to smack people who mumble

same for people who don't use any lip movements and talk inside their mouth

i talk using alpha frequencies produced by my mind psychicly projected into the minds of others do u smack ppl like me

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ante posted:

OP what does she look like and you look like

need for research in how much going for deaf ones allow you to hit above your weight

I shut down women all the time because they think because I'm deaf they can "hit above your weight" so I get approached a lot by people who I'm just flat out not attracted to I can't imagine it's any different for attractive deaf women tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Xachariah posted:

Do you sign at all, if so which do you prefer and if not do you feel this has excluded you from the 'deaf community' to an extent?

I'm literally about to arrive at her place for a BBQ with her family but ill keep answering stuff tomorrow if any more questions however kinda cool now there's a couple of deaf goons about who can answer a lot of this much better than i ever will.

• Locked thread