Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless? That’s a familiar name. Where do I know it from?
Hi, I’m Let’s Play superstar FactsAreUseless. You may remember me from such LPs as Do You Like Horned Lizards, Final Fantasy 13: Sequence//358 Days, and Dark’s Souls II: Souls Darker. I’m here today to bring you Pokemon Red, the game that spawned 27 sequels and counting, and launched the single most popular game series in history. But I’m also here to bring you me, a Let’s Play superstar.

Pokemon? What is that?

Pokemon: Red Version is the first of a series of popular games by Nintendo and Game Freak, two of Japan’s premier entertainment conglomerates. First released in the U.S. in 2003 for the Nintendo Gameboy, Pokemon was an instant smash sensation, spawning a television series, comics, a card game, even a hit song by Mariah Carey. Pokemon Red, released two months before its companion game, Pokemon Green, featured only 86 Pokemon, which would later be expanded to 151. Despite being relatively primitive, the game had a dedicated fanbase. For many of us here on the Something Awful Forums, it defined our childhoods.

So tell me about this LP.

I’m happy to. I’ll be collecting all 86 Pokemon, including the elusive Mew and Mewtwo, defeating every gym leader, and proving to the world that I’m a real Pokemon master. Unfortunately, my Gameboy capture device is broken. I’m not going to let that stop me. I will be bringing you the full Pokemon experience in a unique, innovative way.

What about audience participation?

There will be tons of it! Not only will you get to name our trainer, our rival, and every single one of our Pokemon. You’ll also be able to decide the color of shirt I wear while posting updates.
Now let’s journey to the cave of monsters!

This is a Geop-approved Pokemon LP.

Fanart

Nuffkins captures LP superstardom.

Broenheim snapped this great shot of a Pikamon.

Cutscene Powers remains faithful to the original series.

Blind Sally has the heart of a Pokemon Master.

Biosterous is who I'm gonna call... for great fanart, that is!

Updates

Update 1

Update 2

Update 3

Update 4

Update 5

Bonus Update

Update 6

Update 7

Do you want a guest appearance in this LP? It's simple!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Anybody who wants to guest in my LP, PM me a picture of yourself holding a sign that reads "Sponrad is better down where it's wetter" with the date.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Update 1: Picking Our First Pokemon

Pokemon Red opens with this iconic copyright screen. Every true gamer will recognize this immediately.

Game Freak would fold in 2009 due to mismanagement, and Nintendo would acquire the rights to the Pokemon series. Some fans of the series have said that the quality dipped with Nintendo’s acquisition, especially with controversial choices like the removal of battles in Pokemon: Bible Black.

The title screen! Note that there’s nothing indicating that this is the Red Version. Nintendo hadn’t planned to release any sequels, expecting the game to flop. Shigeru Miyamoto famously said of Pokemon “If this game sells more than 5,000 copies, I will kill my dog.” The dog’s name was Luigi.

Before we can start playing, we’re greeted with this screen explaining the plot of Pokemon and its world.

Pictured: World-famous Pokemon Pikachu, and Gengar, a ghost-type Pokemon. Pokemon are magical creatures that have numerous elemental associations. They fight for their friends and the future.

This is us, Pokemon Trainer Red. The game asks us to name ourselves. So Vote and name our protagonist so he can go on to become Pokemon Master. In the TV show, Red is named Ash, so don’t name him that unless you liked the TV show.

This is our rival, Pokemon Trainer Blue. We grew up together, and we’re going to have to overcome him, and our own doubts and weaknesses, if we want to collect all the badges. We also need to give him a name.

We begin the game in our bedroom. Today is the first day of the rest of our life. It’s the day we are to receive our first Pokemon from Professor Oak, an important rite of passage for every child. Unfortunately, our rival (boo! hiss!) is also going to get a Pokemon today.

But before we go down to do that, check out our sweet Super NES!

Before we start our adventure, we can relax with a sweet session of Chrono Trigger.

Take that, Lavos! You’ll never kidnap another princess again!

Whoops, can’t head out without saying bye to our mom!

Mom’s real supportive of our quest. She’ll even feed us some of our favorite food before we leave. The default is pizza, but we can choose whatever we want. Goons, help me pick my favorite food!

Wow, thanks mom! This event only exists in the Red version of the game. Every later version would start with your mother dead, which really changed the game’s tone. Some people preferred the darker tone and deeper characterization of Trainer Red in the later games.

We could take some time to explore Pallet Town, but who wants to waste time exploring their hometown? Let’s head over to Professor Oak’s place and get our new Pokemon!

Professor Oak is a world-famous Pokemon researcher… and former Pokemon Master himself. Canonically, Oak is the only person ever to see Mew, the king of the Pokemon. In the film Pokemon 2001: Rise of Dark Mew, Oak is killed, but later brought back to life by the true Mew. In Pokemon Red, Oak gives us our choice of three Pokemon.

The three Pokemon in question are Bulbasaur, a Grass type, Squirtle, a Water type, and Charmander, a Fire type. Our rival will get one of the other Pokemon that we don’t choose.

So that means we need to choose our first Pokemon! Here’s a bit about each of them:

Bulbasaur is a Grass/Poison type Pokemon. It resembles a dinosaur with a plant growing out of its back. It evolves into Ivysaur and then into Venusaur. Bulbasaur’s attacks include Vine Whip, Tackle, and Poison Powder. Bulbasaur mainly eats insects and other plants, and is considered to bring good luck to gardeners.

Charmander is a Fire type Pokemon. It resembles a lizard that is on fire. It evolves into Charmeleon and then Charizard. A holofoil Charizard can be worth several hundred dollars. Its attacks include Burn, Flame, and Flame Attack. Charmanders are considered terrible pets. If you choose Charmander you will get your rear end kicked in the first two gyms.

Squirtle is a Water type Pokemon. It’s like a turtle and it has a water tail or something? I don’t really know. Squirtle evolves into Wartortle and then Blastoise. Its attacks include Tackle, Water Gun, and Withdraw. Squirtles are incredibly popular pets, and are thus abandoned by the thousands every Christmas, which in the Pokemon universe is called Life Day.

Before we can get to our first battle and face off against our rival, we'll need to pick one!

So goons, what should our first Pokemon be? Also choose our name, rival’s name, and favorite food.

Edit: Also we need a name for our first Pokemon.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 22, 2014

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Oh man, I love Earthbound. Pick the STARMAN as your starter. Your name is NESS. Your rival is POKEY. Your favorite food is STEAK.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
Go with Charmander, our name is Mario, our rival is Conrad and the food's pizza.

Also this is fantastic.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
Glad someone's doing the original games before they introduced the dumb good/evil choices and mandatory stealth sequences in the sequels.

Name yourself Doug, rival Dons, favorite food Burgers, and starter Squirtle.

BearJazz
Oct 28, 2007

I love being the goddamn BATMAN.
Throwing my hat in for Bulbasaur as our starter, Vinnie as our name, Vzjyxxvlxy as our rival's name, and Ghoti and tchoghs as our favorite food.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
Pokemon lps are bad and you should feel bad for making one.

Jeff, Scrublord, Squitle, Doritos

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i love the pokemon and hope one day to becoem a pokemon myself

chinchilla
May 1, 2010

In their native habitat, chinchillas live in burrows or crevices in rocks. They are agile jumpers and can jump up to 6 ft (1.8 m).

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bulbasaur is a Grass/Poison type Pokemon. It resembles a dinosaur with a plant growing out of its back. It evolves into Ivysaur and then into Venusaur. Bulbasaur’s attacks include Vine Whip, Tackle, and Poison Powder. Bulbasaur mainly eats insects and other plants, and is considered to bring good luck to gardeners.

How much gardening will we get to do?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I hated Pokémon after the first one when they started "updating" the graphics and took emoji support in the text boxes out. Ugh.

Take Fire Type, name yourself Human Type, your rival Dickhead Type, and your food Edible Type.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In addition, please vote for a name for our Pokemon.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
I don't know anything about this pokemon stuff, but the favorite food has to be stuffed-crust pizza.

Seriously, that poo poo is super delicious.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

FactsAreUseless posted:

In addition, please vote for a name for our Pokemon.

Kunta Kinte because let's be honest, Pokemon are basically slaves.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Toad King posted:

Kunta Kinte because let's be honest, Pokemon are basically slaves.
Tallying this as a vote for Toby.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Definitely Charmander, name yourself Hercule, name your rival Frieza, and name your pokemon Shenron. Your favorite food is Rice

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 22, 2014

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Your name is James and your Pokemon (the green one) is also named James. Your favorite food is tofu because you're a punk-rear end. Your opponent is named Fred☆Durst and your mom's name is Annette (I know you didn't say to vote for this but I wanted to anyway)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
  • Character Name: Dash Rendar
  • Pokemon: Charmander
  • Pokeman Name: Outrider
  • Favourite Food: Bantha Steak
  • Rivel: Han Solo

Also, only wear purple shirts.

Looking forward to this. I have no idea what a Pokerman is.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

chinchilla posted:

Most professional players put off the gardening until they have a full suite of Golden Tools, which happens shortly before the Elite Four if you get good drops. It's entirely possible to start farming almost right out of the gate, though. we'll just have to wait and see.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Did you know that Squirtle is a portmanteau of "Squirrel" and "Turtle"? It's really obvious in hindsight when you look at the artwork.

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

Shardix posted:

Oh man, I love Earthbound. Pick the STARMAN as your starter. Your name is NESS. Your rival is POKEY. Your favorite food is STEAK.

I totally agree. A Vote for that please!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
In honour of the ongoing ff5 fiesta, name everything BUTTS

and wear only BUTT SHIRTS

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Did you know that Squirtle is a portmanteau of "Squirrel" and "Turtle"? It's really obvious in hindsight when you look at the artwork.

Wow, I never noticed that! Thanks for letting me know. :)

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

• Character Name: Pikachu
  • Pokemon: Squirtle
  • Pokeman Name: Ash
  • Favourite Food: Farfetch'd with roasted leeks
  • Rival: GaryGaryGary!!!
  • Wardrobe: Digimon shirts.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Then why is it Water type and not Nuts type or Fuzzy type?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Rulebook Heavily posted:

but how does it taste?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Name your guy "Mike Jones".

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

Then why is it Water type and not Nuts type or Fuzzy type?

It is in the game's code, they just decided Fuzzy would be more akin to fuzzy logic.

Pick Squirtle for your pokemon, you are named Squirtle, Squirtle is named Fuzzy, your favorite food is Nuts, your rival is The Fuzz and your wardrobe consists of Fuzzy Nuts.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
name our dude Anime please thank you

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
  • Pizza
  • Mom
  • Bulbasaur
  • Gary
  • Pizza

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 8 minutes!

chinchilla posted:

Well, in later games there's these patches of soft soil. You can plant tree seeds there. If you come back the next day, for whatever reason, you can find weeds and mushrooms that boost your pokemon's mental and physical energy.

I'm not sure if anything like that was implemented in this first game. It's been a while since I played it.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Rahonavis posted:

• Character Name: Pikachu
  • Pokemon: Squirtle
  • Pokeman Name: Ash
  • Favourite Food: Farfetch'd with roasted leeks
  • Rival: GaryGaryGary!!!
  • Wardrobe: Digimon shirts.

these

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Goku, Charmander, Goku, Goku, and Goku

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Archenteron posted:

Goku, Charmander Squirtle, Goku, Goku, and Goku

that's my vote.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Charmander named Mushu. M. Vick, D. Sterling, Doritos and Mountain Dew

Edit: Wardrobe is anything military themed (Camo, chairforce, etc), gotta lead your squad into battle properly.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 22, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
  • Character Name: Red
  • Pokemon: Charmander
  • Pokeman Name: Agumon
  • Favourite Food: Kentucky Fried Pidgeot
  • Rival: THIS loving SHITLORD
  • Wardrobe: Digimon t-shirt.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts