Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Archenteron posted:

Goku, Charmander, Goku, Goku, and Goku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So far, Goku, Charmander, Goku, Goku, and Goku is leading the vote, but I will be using a Real Science Algorithm to determine the best possible options, so you're all free to keep suggesting more.

BearJazz
Oct 28, 2007

I love being the goddamn BATMAN.

Archenteron posted:

Yeah, just change my vote to that.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked

Archenteron posted:

Just like my childhood.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats
Guys guys guys, my uncle who works at Nintendo JUST told me that if you use Strength on Prof. Oak before you pick your starter he'll turn into a truck and behind it is the SUPER SECRET fourth starter Pokemon: Goku.

Therefore, my vote is Goku, Goku, Goku, Goku, and Goku

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If we're going to be Goku, our rival should be Superman.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That Irish Guy posted:

Guys guys guys, my uncle who works at Nintendo JUST told me that if you use Strength on Prof. Oak before you pick your starter he'll turn into a truck and behind it is the SUPER SECRET fourth starter Pokemon: Goku.

Well hey, if there's such an exploit in the game, I think the LPer is forced to show it, therefore my vote is definitely for this

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well hey, if there's such an exploit in the game, I think the LPer is forced to show it, therefore my vote is definitely for this
Haha, yeah, that's definitely going to happ-- oh wait, I'm an LP superstar.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Archenteron posted:

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

That Irish Guy posted:

The Pokemon Law Firm of Goku, Goku, Goku, Goku and Goku. Criminal defense attorneys

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Archenteron posted:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hey, people of the Something Awful Forums! I'm FactsAreUseless. I've been looking for a place to post my lps, and a place to hang out.
So I googled LP forums, and BLAMO. This popped up.
Not only is this my first post on this forum, It's also my first LP on this forum! So, Without further ado, Enjoy my Screenshot LP of Pokemon Red!

Ahh, Game freak. The only people insane enough to make pokemon.

Oh look. A gengar and a... Nidoran? Nidorino? I could never tell them apart

OH NO LOOK OUT GENGAR.

Wow, What a cliffhanger.

[error]

HEE

Hehe. Douche.

Whaaaaat.

Cool.

Allright, Sounds go- OH GOD WHERE DID THAT SHRINK RAY COME FROM.

[error]

Listen, Uh, I'm gonna go and never come back again so I can have an
epic quest to catch monsters and stuff them into tiny balls, so I can
use them to take over the world bye!

FREEDOM.

Good for you.

Pffft...Douche.

Okay random lady.

Agreed, my fat friend.

Okay, so this is the geezers place.

What?! That Assbag Professor lied to me! He told me there would be candy...

Hmm... What to do...Oh! Let's go play in the dangerous grass!
I hear it has snakes in it!

Aww, I was having fun with the snakes...

That makes it even more fun!

You sayin' I like Dudes?!

Last time you asked me to go somewhere with you they found me in a van in compton.

*wacky chase scene*

Oh, we're going here. Wait, Where's that candy you promised me?!

Patience is a virtue, Douche.

Wow, you are a sucky grandpa.

Sweet. Pokeymans.

Haha?

Duuur, I knew that. Some kind of professor you are...

Rapist?

Oh.

So you're a pokemon professor, that only has 3 pokemon. Fail.

You don't get one cuz you're lame.

Aww.

Okay, so...

Charmander, who evolves into a fire breathing lizard.

Squirtle, who evolves into the best water gun in existance.

Or Bulbasaur, who evolves into a biiig plant.

ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE! Vote for who you would like me to use.

Any and all constructive criticism is accepted! I'd really like to improve!
Thanks for reading!

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 26, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Which one is Goku and why do I need a magnifying glass to read this LP? :downs:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

Which one is Goku and why do I need a magnifying glass to read this LP? :downs:
Hehe, sorry! ^_^ My game boy emulator only makes really small screenshots, I'll register hypercam and see if that helps! :D

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Update 2: Goku, Charmander, Goku, Goku, Goku

Using a real scientific algorithm, I have determined the following based on weighted voting and math.

Our name is not Pokemon Trainer Red. Instead it is Luigi, in honor of Mr. Miyamoto’s fallen dog and because of Red’s green hat.

Our rival’s name is Digimon, because that is the rival of Pokemon.

Our favorite food was supposed to be vegetables but the character limit shortened it to Vegeta.

And our Pokemon is a Bulbasaur named Weed Goku. Say hi, Lil’ Weedy!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed.

Selecting Weed Goku as our first Pokemon means that Digimon will pick Charmander (nickname: BlazeIt!) because that cheating little poo poo just waited until he saw what we picked so that he could kick our asses. In future versions of Pokemon, Digimon always takes Pikachu just to make sure that we can’t have one.

Professor Oak then asks to see our Pokemon battle each other, so that we can learn about battling. The anime reveals that this fight is actually part of an insurance fraud scheme – Oak makes back the value of his lab threefold.

Here’s the battle screen. As you can see, it looks a bit different from later Pokemon games. To make the game more challenging, we don’t know the enemy Pokemon’s HP, only its height and weight, which can be used with the Taunt attack. We also have four options for actions.

Fight makes our Pokemon use one of its attacks. Each attack uses Pokemon Power from a pool. When that attack runs out of Pokemon Power, it cannot be used until we rest at a Pokemon Center. If a Pokemon runs out of Power Points it will use Sob to beg the enemy not to kill it. Pokemon do not, however, know mercy.

Pikmin will in later versions allow us to summon an army of plants to assist our Pokemon in battle. In this version, it only allows us to switch between Pokemon. Right now we just have Weed Goku.

Weed.

That’s right, Lil’ Weedy.

Item will allow us to use an item such as a PokeHeal or a PokeBall or a PokeCandy to heal our Pokemon, capture Pokemon, or throw things at our rival to annoy him. Pokemon Red does not have a very robust item system. Hironobu Sakaguchi, creator of Final Fantasy, was once given a copy of Pokemon to play on the bus. He said the item system was “Nowhere near as cool as Tidus’ pants.” Tidus’ pants were at the time very popular in Japan.
Nevertheless, mastering items is the key to becoming Pokemon Master. Good players often use items more often than attacks, particularly the powerful Oak’s Revolver, introduced in Pokemon: Blue Crystal.

Run lets us escape from battles, regrouping and attempting new strategies in combat. As you can see above, there are no new strategies. Your options are Fight and Item. It’s not Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, or Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2.

Now to face our rival. Digimon will never defeat us! We have the power of heart!

Prepare yourself! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Go, Weed Goku! Battle hard and win, so you can continue battling!

Our Pokemon face off…

…and Digimon’s Charmander, being faster, uses Tackle.

Weed Goku uses Tackle in response.

So does Charmander.

Weed Goku’s up. I use Tackle to gain a tactical edge.

Charmander uses Tackle.

I use Tackle.

Charmander uses Tackle, and Weed Goku faints.

Heh, nice work. I guess Pokemon really is just an inferior ripoff of Digimon. Come on, Eevee, let’s get out of here.

Rrrrrrowwrrrr! Hiss!

Don’t worry, that was supposed to happen. Due to a well-known bug, the first battle in Pokemon Red is not actually winnable. Luckily it doesn’t matter. The only difference is that we do not get the Experience Points for the first battle, and Digimon is the champion. We can continue with the game normally.

Not to worry though, I’m sure Mom can cheer us up with some of our favorite food!

With that out of the way, we can continue onward with our journey. We’re going to have to collect a lot more items, and a few Pokemon along the way, if we want to become Pokemon Master and capture all 86 Pokemon.

Next time: Route 1, stats explained, and we catch our next two Pokemon!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
This game is a lot prettier than I remember it being.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Make sure to talk about the special code you need to do every time you catch a Pokémon.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

Thanks, I'm using the Super Game Boy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Attilla posted:

Make sure to talk about the special code you need to do every time you catch a Pokémon.
You're thinking of Pokemon: Code Red, an action-oriented remake in collaboration with Konami.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Bohemian Nights posted:

... and yet simultaneously significantly more terrifying. How marvellous.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Are you going to show off the secret 9th Gym? What you learn there totally changes the way you view the story imo

e: Should I spoilertag this?

Cutscene Powers
Jun 7, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Are you going to show off the secret 9th Gym? What you learn there totally changes the way you view the story imo

e: Should I spoilertag this?

I assume OP will do NG+ and NG++++ to show off all the easter eggs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cutscene Powers posted:

I assume OP will do NG+ and NG++++ to show off all the easter eggs.
I will definitely take the left teleporter in Oak's lab.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~

Ghostwoods posted:

... and yet simultaneously significantly more terrifying. How marvellous.

It always did fit right into the uncanny valley :)

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

FactsAreUseless posted:

Can I put my vote in now to take all of the Romance Digimon dialogue options?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

OP is it alright if I just look at the pictures and don't read your updates?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GNU Order posted:

OP is it alright if I just look at the pictures and don't read your updates?
Yeah but the updates are real good and funny.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Much better use of your capture device, but we really should at least cover one city at a time per update.

I can cut you some slack for taking your time with Pallet town though, being the starter village and there are so many interesting NPC's that don't make an appearance again until late game.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
You should talk to everyone in Pallet Town and tell us all what they say, then give them a name based on how they look and what they say. If you are going out a doe-eyed adventurer, it'd be a good idea to sorta get the lay of the land, maybe try to get some part time work stocking shelves at the Pokemart until you get back on your feet again.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, make sure you get the map from Digimon's sister before he tells her what a douchebag you are and she doesn't give you a map after that point. A map would be necessary to plan out for later when you get Pokemon that can fly and surf.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

FactsAreUseless posted:

No! If you don't blow it up first you'll never be able to get back to the secret garden where all the ultra powerful dual monsters live!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

What's Weed Goku's power level after he mega evolves? :aaa:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Silento posted:

What's Weed Goku's power level after he mega evolves? :aaa:
I feel like the answer to that should be fairly obvious.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I feel like the answer to that should be fairly obvious.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Today's update comes in video form! Enjoy, everyone!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i approve of the name slavegoon for our raccoon thing

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Update 3: One Crazy Pokemon Update Only 90s Kids Will Get!

Now we set off on Route 1 to Viridian City! There we’ll pick up a mysterious package for Professor Oak. It’s so mysterious that I forgot to mention it last update. Then we can truly begin our journey to earn the 8 badges and become Pokemon Master!

Route 1 is the road between Pallet Town (pop. 1,023) and Viridian City (pop. 23,485). Route 1 is a temperate forest with a mix of deciduous and conifer trees. It also contains numerous ledges. 90s kids will know what’s coming up with those ledges.

It’s treacherous terrain, but with friendship and perseverance Luigi and Weed Goku push through. But just mastering the terrain is not enough to make us Pokemon Master. We also need to capture some Pokemon. There are only two Pokemon that appear on Route 1, Rattata and Pidgey. Luckily, we’ve brought some Poke Balls with us.

First we head into the tall grass. Pokemon are highly agoraphobic, and prefer a sense of enclosed space.

The first Pokemon we encounter is a Rattata defending its nest from a potential predator.

Time for a wild Pokemon battle! This works pretty much the same as the fight against our Rival. Rattata tries to lead Weed Goku away from its young, but just ends up going round and round.

But once we get Rattata down to low enough health, we capture it in a Poke Ball! Its children are more than likely killed off by rivals.

So now we have a new Rattata! Rattata is a Normal-type Pokemon, which means it is more normal than other Pokemon. Rattata is cool but rude. It evolves into Rattitude. Its attacks include Bite, Scratch, and Quick Attack, which is a quick bite or scratch. Rattata are considered a delicacy in Celadon City.”

Of course, our new Pokemon will need a name. What do you think it should be, boys and girls?

Continuing onward, we encounter one of Route 1’s infamous ledges. These were a serious roadblock for first-time Pokemon players, especially for us 90s kids, coming of age just as Pokemon: Red was released in 2003.

Ah, the heady days of youth! No 90s kid can forget listening to Nirvana and Outkast as they tried again and again to traverse the impassable ledges.

Route 1 also introduces a mechanic removed from later Pokemon games, the moral choice system. At the edge of the tall grass we can see a Pidgey being harassed by Rattata. Will we rescue the Pidgey, though a wild animal does not know gratitude? Or will we assist the Rattata in killing and consuming it, becoming cool in their eyes. It was a moral dilemma every 90s kid faced daily on the playground.

This being a Paragon run, we’ll rescue the Pidgey. We battle four Rattata, whose insults make us risk our popularity. But Weed Goku is far too chill to care.

Pidgey is grateful, but wounded. We put it in a Pokeball, but it won’t be useful until we get it to the Pokemon Center in Viridian City. And so we acquired our third Pokemon! It will, of course, need a name.

Pidgey is a Normal/Flying-type Pokemon, which means it can only fly normally. It evolves into Pigeotto and then Pidgeot. Its first appearance was in the Pokemon manga (Issue 45, 2000), where it is a trickster spirit and steals Misty’s amulet. Pidgey attacks ineffectually.

So, dear readers, what should we name our Rattata and Pidgey?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

King Rhubarb IX and Amy Rose.

Cutscene Powers
Jun 7, 2010
Here's a fact that is not useless (lol!) : if you are going for a perfect run it is actually better to not rescue the Pidgey, which allows you to repeat the event over and over to farm 99 Uncommon Candies, exploiting a certain glitch I'm sure OP will cover later.

Also you should clearly name the Rattata Fattata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is this that game that has the pigeon dating sim?

• Locked thread