Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
looks like op got his rear end handed to him at smash and is now mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:shobon:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
They get paid millions to play videogames, even if it is for a short time. You pay money to post here about them cause youre banned so much lol owned

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Renegret posted:

But let's be honest here, everyone is just jealous that they get paid for playing video games while the rest of us work our dead end 9-5 unfulfilling office jobs.

lol speak for yourself

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

They get paid millions to play videogames, even if it is for a short time. You pay money to post here about them cause youre banned so much lol owned

i think you should stop talking about e-sports and practice some actual sports instead

because you're fat

fatty fat fat

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i have a friend who is really into pro counterstrike. tbh i find watching any videogames boring as gently caress i prefer to play them. esports will never work because most people can't play football but any clown can install steam

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

my mom took a hammer to my head and now i suck dick in games for a living and i get unreasonably upset at people who think my infatuation with pro-gaming is sad. i also post flaccid burns.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol they definitely dont because ive 100% read reports and seen documentaries about how most of these kids make pennies and usually just end up scammed by their 'coaches'

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

can we stop posting AzN e sports stars, its like not surprising or unexpected and they p much all look the same. the skinny white dudes are funnier imo

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

see what i mean

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Renegret posted:

But let's be honest here, everyone is just jealous that they get paid for playing video games while the rest of us work our dead end 9-5 unfulfilling office jobs.

I wish I could play video games and make a decent wage doing it and I'm sure most people would take that offer but despite being pretty privileged I'm not privileged enough to be able to play video games 6+ hours a day 7 days a week.

This guy is trying so hard to look tough and then he throws a really lovely mock punch, but I guess the alternative is him mime clicking an invisible mouse and keyboard.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 22, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

a creepy colon posted:

lol they definitely dont because ive 100% read reports and seen documentaries about how most of these kids make pennies and usually just end up scammed by their 'coaches'

Haven't you heard of fatal1ty?? He's on television or something, or maybe a MRA now.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wouldnt take a job playing video games are you out of your loving mind

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

a creepy colon posted:

Most make pennies because being a pro video game player is a dumb career choice. The most successful make millions, though.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Dirty Job posted:

I wish I could play video games and make a decent wage doing it and I'm sure most people would take that offer but despite being pretty privileged I'm not privileged enough to be able to play video games 6+ hours a day 7 days a week.

lol gently caress that there's no way I'd ever want a job where all I do is playing video games that sounds loving terrible to be doing that 8+ hours a day holy poo poo

most non-obese non-sadbrains rational adults would have the same exact reaction btw

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://mojolabs.me/2013/09/16/the-economics-of-esports/

quote:

There are 2 main sources of revenue for eSports organizations: Sponsorships, and a % of streaming revenue. One requires a solid fan base+solid sales. The other requires celebrity-like, popular and entertaining players who have amassed a large following of fans that will watch them stream online. To succeed financially, an eSports organization has to be VERY good at at least one of these areas. Fnatic, EG, Curse, CLG and TSM are good examples of orgs that pulled it off.

Ironically for us, when we lost Aprhomoo to CLG, we were an amateur team (FeaR). Even though we became Pro later by getting into the LCS, we still made less money each month than before as FeaR. Weird, right? You’d expect Pro teams to do better financially. But it wasn’t the case. This was because Aphromoo has a fan base and stream regularly. None of our other players did. So our streaming revenue immediately went to $0.

Now that the results are here, I’m hoping that revenues will improve as the team has more visibility, more fans, and street-cred. Our combined social media fan-base has finally crossed 100,000 followers (twitter + facebook). And given the team’s solid performance so far at Worlds, a lot more people will want to watch them stream during the off-season too.

lol

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

a creepy colon posted:

i wouldnt take a job playing video games are you out of your loving mind

No, they dont 'play' videogames really, you're thinking of IT. They have to be locked up in bunkers and practice 24/7 like memorizing strats and stuff and being coached and if they lose they're done.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
well, its probably not as harmful long-term as being a pro football player or pro wrestler

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

a creepy colon posted:

the more popular players definitely make several hundred thousand dollars a year at least.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Copley Depot posted:

well, its probably not as harmful long-term as being a pro football player or pro wrestler

it's also nowhere near as dignified or respectable either

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
It is only a sport if there is defense. Sorry, your lovely nascar, golf and cycling aren't sports.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

At least they aren't playing one of the lovely sports like soccer.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Previous Jesus posted:

the more popular players definitely make several hundred thousand dollars a year at least.

why dont you show me some of these millionaire pro playaz in the USA

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is Pewdiepie a cyber athlete I want to punch him in the face

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Copley Depot posted:

Exercising is v good for you hth

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

myshl0ng posted:

It is only a sport if there is defense. Sorry, your lovely nascar, golf and cycling aren't sports.

It's true, I think bodying the opponent's computer monitor should be legit tactic, though punishable by foul if the ref sees it.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

a creepy colon posted:

Reginald, probably.

This euro player isn't even good and he makes a mill a year. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/league-of-legends-player-makes-close-to-1m-per-year/1100-6415722/

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
those chinese players look so malnourished and weak, look at dem noodly arms

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

a creepy colon posted:

http://www.ongamers.com/articles/scarra-will-probably-earn-200k-this-year-michael-odee-o-dell-discusses-esport-earnings/1100-908/

he's not the most popular player either. there are several who make probably at least twice as much as he does.

unpacked robinhood posted:

those chinese players look so malnourished and weak, look at dem noodly arms

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006
DIGITAL SPORTS

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
And why do all the asian players look so similar lol

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Chuck Tanner posted:

league of legends and warcraft are literally the worst things ever created and i'll never understand how people rack up thousands of hours in them
Spoken like a true professional stick thrower or whatever it is you do.

poo poo, someone threw the stick over there, quick run and catch it!

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

a creepy colon posted:

What's the International anyway?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
is vgcw an esport??

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Chill la Chill posted:

Exercising is v good for you hth

Exercising your previous concussion isn't so much. Junior Seau was like one of the nicest dudes in football,liked by everybody, probably had more pull than the Mayor of SD; and after he retires he blows his brains out. Those concussions really gently caress those guys up, but it was never really talked about before recently, to the point where you have President Obama saying he wouldn't let his kids play football.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNf0C2722mE

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheChad posted:

Reginald, probably.

This euro player isn't even good and he makes a mill a year. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/league-of-legends-player-makes-close-to-1m-per-year/1100-6415722/

quote:

Speaking about the money he has made, Rodriguez said, "Now is the time to save and help the family."

lol what a loving loser

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
ITT autists defend their hobby memorizing esports stats.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
video games are loving stupid and anyone who tries to compare e sports to literally any other sport, yes including NASCAR, is equally stupid. shame on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
im glad esports exist because they help us separate out and identify the gayest and most retarded members of society in preparation for the return of hitler

• Locked thread