Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Torka posted:

haha I wasn't here then you can't pin that on me

seriously though man your posting is such a drag, even though you don't come off as angry about it all you ever post about is things you hate or find lame

what do you like

its weird you say that because ppl usually complain i'm too cheery or earnest :shrug: i mean even the obama comment was meant as a joke and not serious (he really does suck at sports but its ok thats not his job)

i like many things like sports, summer, pretty girls, drinking a beer with my friends after hitting the gym, music and cooking and all sorts of things like that thanks for asking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Dirty Job posted:

Apparently reaction times necessary to be competitive in e-sports go down significantly after the player reaches their mid twenties, so you can rest assured that they'll wish they didn't give up their college educations in order to play video games 12 hours a day.

no one has ever proved this, what really happens is people realize at like age ~24-27 that the game they like wont be around forever and they should probably do something with the rest of their lives

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
When your sport uses "gamer fuel" like normal athletes use gatorade, you know there's a problem. "All this unhealthy poo poo makes me PLAY HARDER!"

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Twee as gently caress posted:

its weird you say that because ppl usually complain i'm too cheery or earnest :shrug: i mean even the obama comment was meant as a joke and not serious (he really does suck at sports but its ok thats not his job)

i like many things like sports, summer, pretty girls, drinking a beer with my friends after hitting the gym, music and cooking and all sorts of things like that thanks for asking

I can't deny the workout vid is p embarrassing

idk maybe I've confused you with someone else, sorry

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
^^^ no prob! and yeah he has terrible form. if anyone ever asked him dyel,b? the answer is a resounding no

rocket_man38 posted:

When your sport uses "gamer fuel" like normal athletes use gatorade, you know there's a problem. "All this unhealthy poo poo makes me PLAY HARDER!"

imo checking counterstrike players for meth use is long overdue

say no to performance enhancement drugs ppl

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

I remember the days of yore on Something Awful when everyone treated Bush with the respect inherent to his Office :911:

That's different from what you were saying though. Your own personal preference to watch one over the other (or neither) doesn't mean that they are objectively equal. Honestly the worst thing about e-sports is the name. I mean it's shameful to me to sit down and watch other play video games (I mean for gently caress's sake the whole point of video games is to play them) but it's when people start treating it like it's a sport and talk about fast reflexes and poo poo that it becomes annoying

just .. just screw you, man. now you want to take my esports too?? /typed with shaking hands from carpel tunnel at ave. 7235703 rpm

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ArbitraryC posted:

If you actually played the games your criticizing you'd realize you were really wrong. The "pros" are significantly better than amateurs just like in any other sport, the only real difference there is that because it's not a physical thing people can spend more hours a day practicing and as such it's a bit "easier" to catch up with you start dumping literally all of your free time into the game.

Personally I'd rather go out and play a pickup game of basketball/soccer/football and be bad at it but enjoy the company and excercise than watch the game. You don't really have any valid criticism of watching esports that can't apply to watching regular sports too.

When I watch football, I have a good chance of seeing a really exciting play. Soccer is the same way, even baseball. At least with NASCAR I might see a cool wreck or something or a car explode. With esports specifically, I am watching someone play a video game. The same amount of action and excitement can be imitated in real time on my tv or computer by myself. Esports adds this middleman/filter to the actual excitement. I can't really imagine viewing an esports event as being more than seeing some video game screen of something I could actually play myself mixed in with pictures of mouthbreathers grunting, drinking Mountain Dew, and clicking. Like, you can equate regular sports to esports all you want, but it's wrong. If watching esports gets your jollies then more power to you, but don't justify your interest by comparing it directly to regular sports.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Traditional sports originated in warfare and reflect the skills that made someone in warfare: the ability to rassle another dude or throw a javelin at him.

E-sports reflect the values of technocratic capitalist society: the ability to autistically click on a computer managing little mans. We should look down on e-sports because almost everyone realizes that technocratic capitalism is deeply gently caress up at its core

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

crankdatbatman posted:

When I watch football, I have a good chance of seeing a really exciting play. Soccer is the same way, even baseball. At least with NASCAR I might see a cool wreck or something or a car explode. With esports specifically, I am watching someone play a video game. The same amount of action and excitement can be imitated in real time on my tv or computer by myself. Esports adds this middleman/filter to the actual excitement. I can't really imagine viewing an esports event as being more than seeing some video game screen of something I could actually play myself mixed in with pictures of mouthbreathers grunting, drinking Mountain Dew, and clicking. Like, you can equate regular sports to esports all you want, but it's wrong. If watching esports gets your jollies then more power to you, but don't justify your interest by comparing it directly to regular sports.
On the rare occasions I watch e-sports (mainly either fighting games or lol with my friends), I usually see some exciting plays. We'll cheer or be surprised that someone just pulled whatever off and it can just be as exciting to us as regular sports are for you. I play those games and so I know enough about them to follow the strategy and technical skill that goes into what the players are doing that I can enjoy watching them do stuff I wouldn't be able to do without playing 40 hours a week for a year. It's literally the exact same thing as watching any other sport you dabble a bit in, you know how to play and enjoy playing it but sometimes it's cool seeing people be really good at something.

example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeM0rH_4ung

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 22, 2014

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

I want to have sex with Weh Sing Yuan.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
get back to me in 2112 when 'esports' players are controlling their wizard elfmans with motion capture haptic feedback suits and are actually running around shooting fireballs or w/e and not just sitting around in front of a computer clicking. until then, it aint sports

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Every single person who has posted in this thread is a tremendous human being. Including me, apparently.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If i was good enough to wear a vest full of stupid sponsorships to places where people watch other people play videogames really good, and I had a good takehome from tournaments, I would probably do that because it's basically getting paid to do gently caress-all.

Too bad I am a suck-rear end noob.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

Waltzing Along posted:

Every single person who has posted in this thread is a tremendous human being. Including me, apparently.

nah only the people defending e-"sports"

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
Even when it is fake sports, women still suck at it. Are they born broken?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
when i was in korea one of the main train station/malls had a "e sports stadium" on the entire top floor. it was always being broadcast on tv and you could just go in and watch the athletes compete

p. real 2 me

also hot groupies, and they made money doing it. probably the definition of sports

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

DeepQantas posted:

Why are you posting on a digital sport forum if you don't even know that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQHKGP6U2go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjZYMI1zB9s

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

This is Weh Sing Yuen, better known as SingSing:

I want to have sex with him.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Copley Depot posted:

Traditional sports originated in warfare and reflect the skills that made someone in warfare: the ability to rassle another dude or throw a javelin at him.

E-sports reflect the values of technocratic capitalist society: the ability to autistically click on a computer managing little mans. We should look down on e-sports because almost everyone realizes that technocratic capitalism is deeply gently caress up at its core

you heard it here folks: capitalism is worse than war

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

I don't care about your gay little arguing about whether a fag clicking a ball is cooler than a fag kicking a mouse or whatever it is you retards are talking about with regards to capitalism (???) but I want to make a big cum inside the tight twink rear end in a top hat of professional Dota 2 player SingSing from team Cloud9.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Chuck Tanner posted:

nah only the people defending e-"sports"
You're probably a p. cool dude irl, but according to wikipedia you're dead.

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

I don't care about your gay little arguing about whether a fag clicking a ball is cooler than a fag kicking a mouse or whatever it is you retards are talking about with regards to capitalism (???) but I want to make a big cum inside the tight twink rear end in a top hat of professional Dota 2 player SingSing from team Cloud9.
Wow, you are a true gentleman and a sportster. Also according to wikipedia, not dead. Well done.

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT
op is jealous of the ones of dollars people earn by begging for money on twitch.tv

:smug:

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

ArbitraryC posted:

On the rare occasions I watch e-sports (mainly either fighting games or lol with my friends), I usually see some exciting plays. We'll cheer or be surprised that someone just pulled whatever off and it can just be as exciting to us as regular sports are for you. I play those games and so I know enough about them to follow the strategy and technical skill that goes into what the players are doing that I can enjoy watching them do stuff I wouldn't be able to do without playing 40 hours a week for a year. It's literally the exact same thing as watching any other sport you dabble a bit in, you know how to play and enjoy playing it but sometimes it's cool seeing people be really good at something.

example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeM0rH_4ung

At the end of the day it's still a button press. It doesn't matter if you make Chun Li or the Devourer or whatever do it. You pushed some buttons, esports are dumb nerd poo poo.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Razorwired posted:

At the end of the day it's still a button press. It doesn't matter if you make Chun Li or the Devourer or whatever do it. You pushed some buttons, esports are dumb nerd poo poo.

this is why i hate actors, anyone can say words like those noobs

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

_______________/

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
i came to make fun of fantasy football, and now wtf people are calling videogames sports??

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

After I cum inside him I want him to shout one of his catchphrases like "YEH BUDDDY, BUDDY PLEASE" or "MUDDAHFUKAHH WHAT YOU THINK YOU DOINGK" then turn me over and gently caress me until he shoots his weak asian seed in my ruined hole.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Sitting Here posted:

i came to make fun of fantasy football, and now wtf people are calling videogames sports??
Lotto isn't a real sport no matter what the fantasy football critics say.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

mr.capps posted:

this is why i hate actors, anyone can say words like those noobs

lol i love when sad nerds go 'oh yeah e-sports are gay kind of like throwing some ball around or getting on a stage and reciting a few lines :jerkbag: ' as if theater or sports didn't require a million times more skills than mashing buttons in front of a screen

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Everything we do is dumb and sad and gay and takes weird stupid meaningless skills and it's all ultimately meaningless, yet somehow we find enjoyment out of these retard activities and goals, such as my goal to Impregnate The rear end in a top hat Of Professional Video Game Player Weh Sing Yuen.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

lol i love when sad nerds go 'oh yeah e-sports are gay kind of like throwing some ball around or getting on a stage and reciting a few lines :jerkbag: ' as if theater or sports didn't require a million times more skills than mashing buttons in front of a screen

jokes, haha, are best taken seriously

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
so what you're saying is that if there were a video game that required the same level of skill as acting it would be a sport

whoa

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

mr.capps posted:

jokes, haha, are best taken seriously

im sure all 15 posters who made some variation of that post are all cool bros who go outside and think that e-sports are really lame and not really defending it

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

I think the point is they're all games. They also do require more skills than mashing buttons in front of a screen unless you also think chess or go only requires the skill of moving pieces around a board. Most competitive games are designed around the idea that once you surpass a certain technical skill level (ie being really good at pushing buttons), the game becomes a medium for a battle of strategy and skill against your opponent where the goal is to outplay them with a set amount of resources, which is what all games boil down to.

At the end of the day though it's just entertainment and I can't really think of anything spergier than trying to tell someone why they shouldn't enjoy what they enjoy because of x/y/z reasons.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

im sure all 15 posters who made some variation of that post are all cool bros who go outside and think that e-sports are really lame and not really defending it

esports are actually cool if they involve kirby, but i was making a joke

personally i think irl sports are only lame due to the lack of kirby, this can easily be fix

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ArbitraryC posted:

I think the point is they're all games. They also do require more skills than mashing buttons in front of a screen unless you also think chess or go only requires the skill of moving pieces around a board. Most competitive games are designed around the idea that once you surpass a certain technical skill level (ie being really good at pushing buttons), the game becomes a medium for a battle of strategy and skill against your opponent where the goal is to outplay them with a set amount of resources, which is what all games boil down to.

At the end of the day though it's just entertainment and I can't really think of anything spergier than trying to tell someone why they shouldn't enjoy what they enjoy because of x/y/z reasons.

I am actually pretty good at Street Fighter 2, or used to be I guess, but I never once considered that dumb gay talent to be on the level of a loving World Cup soccer player.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My watching people play a game is the only moral watching people play a game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
people know actual sports and acting takes a higher amount of skill. some people like watching the narrative of stuff, some the strategy stuff, other people like watching the technical stuff, and yeah the later is really boring in esports and its loving dumb how the culture around it builds it up as the same level of technical skill in actual sports. like the culture around normal sports is really stupid too, but it can be taken more seriously because of the actual technical skill going on. its still the same type of "watching people play games" entertainment though, so who cares.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

crankdatbatman posted:

I am actually pretty good at Street Fighter 2, or used to be I guess,

I'm sorry, I hate to break the news to you but...

• Locked thread