Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i went to college with a guy who described a hockey match between the US and the soviet union as a "battle between good and evil" and as if it had consequences that actually mattered

this is exactly as bizarre (and hysterically funny) as if he'd said the same thing about street fighter

dunno, bison pretty evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

crankdatbatman posted:

I like to drink and watch football with my friends. I can't do that while simultaneously playing football, I'd die.
???

Maybe don't take drunken football so seriously?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I'd watch chess if it were an Olympic event. Watching a person that can out think me while taking a dump is impressive. Dota/LoL, not so much.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

i just explained why there isn't, please keep up

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

See the autists are the people enjoying what they like to enjoy rather than the people trying to explain why other people are enjoying things that they shouldn't logically enjoy.

Absolutely no one is saying that you weirdo but keep fighting those e-windmills bro

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i just explained why there isn't, please keep up

and youre wrong sorry

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Twee as gently caress posted:

and youre wrong sorry

nope, i'm right

the guy with the warfare vs technocratic capitalism post was better at this than you

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

oh for gently caress's sake they 'train' for 12 hours because they are sitting on their asses and expending less calories than someone who is walking at a leisurely pace

That weak nerd michael phelps spends 2 hours in the gym and then 6 hours in the pool clearly he's not training as hard as F3t4lity or whatever playing DOTA for 16 hours in a row :rolleyes:

Word for word I said "I'd wager some put in more time than professional physical athletes", I didn't say anything about how "hard" the training was, just about the individual time investment. But it's not surprising you of all people would get into a dumb argument predicated on you making poo poo up about what your opposition was saying.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
DOTA has exactly 100 times as many rules as chess. As a result, chess is much more accessible to new players and to casual viewers.

Harald fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 22, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress is going on here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_x62_d7DZA

This is the dumbest thing. I can't believe there was millions of dollars involved. And an entire auditorium full of people. And announcers who probably got paid actual money to shout random gibberish.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Other people enjoy the wrong things! Look at those autistic spergs.

*Doesn't understand irony at all*

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

What the gently caress is going on here?

the primacy of marketing over all other aspects of culture

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

eSports Chaebol posted:

IMO baseball is an esport I mean here's a lot of numbers and you don't have to be in shape. Anyway the original non physical sport debate is chess anyway. Chess players gotta do drug trusts because the crazy ex dictator abducted by aliens president of the world chess federation wants it in the Olympics

you might be making a joke but the thought that baseball players don't have to be in shape is so wrong it's repulsive.

ironically i bet a lot of the people itt defending e-sports also hate pewdiepie for the millions he makes.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
if you don't like the same things i like you are an autist plain and simple

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

crankdatbatman posted:

if you don't like the same things i like you are an autist plain and simple
I'd say trying to explain to someone why they shouldn't like the things they like because of what you feel are logical reasons is a pretty autistic trait yeah. You see, strawberry is truly the superior flavor because

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Also lol at baseball avatar/anyone else that likes baseball people coming in to say esports arent really sports and boring, while baseball supposedly isn't. I was only kind of jokingly defending this for a bit, because I actually hate mobas, but gently caress it, I'm all in.
If that makes me autistic, so be it. If you like baseball, that makes you old. Get off the internet and pop more pills to daytime television grandpa. Kids run the internet now and kids like esports and kids dont want your dictionary definition!!!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Also lol at baseball avatar/anyone else that likes baseball people coming in to say esports arent really sports and boring, while baseball supposedly isn't. I was only kind of jokingly defending this for a bit, because I actually hate mobas, but gently caress it, I'm all in.
If that makes me autistic, so be it. If you like baseball, that makes you old. Get off the internet and pop more pills to daytime television grandpa. Kids run the internet now and kids like esports and kids dont want your dictionary definition!!!

Haha are you loving stupid?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643963

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The only real sport is American football. Everything else is a hobby or pastime.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Only real sport is me jerking off to your mom and sister making out

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

Word for word I said "I'd wager some put in more time than professional physical athletes", I didn't say anything about how "hard" the training was, just about the individual time investment. But it's not surprising you of all people would get into a dumb argument predicated on you making poo poo up about what your opposition was saying.

Sorry but at the end of the day when you say "I'd wager some put in more time than professional physical athletes" into training, you are making a comparison between professional athletes and pro gamers. Which is absolute loving bullshit because 'training' by sitting in front of a computer for 16 hours in a day is not even worth an hour in the gym. To even compare how athletes train and how gamers play video games all day long is pretty stupid

Speaking of making poo poo up:

ArbitraryC posted:

Other people enjoy the wrong things! Look at those autistic spergs.

*Doesn't understand irony at all*

This is all in your head no one is saying that stop pretending that this is what is happening

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

You can get scholarships if you're good at LoL what now op?

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

lol look how dumb this guy is

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Sorry but at the end of the day when you say "I'd wager some put in more time than professional physical athletes" into training, you are making a comparison between professional athletes and pro gamers. Which is absolute loving bullshit because 'training' by sitting in front of a computer for 16 hours in a day is not even worth an hour in the gym. To even compare how athletes train and how gamers play video games all day long is pretty stupid

This is all in your head no one is saying that stop pretending that this is what is happening

Anymore than anyone actually said that e-sports are real sports just like physical activity sports.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

http://esportsexpress.com/2014/06/eg-mason-to-host-most-obnoxious-high-school-reunion-ever/

quote:

Sources close to Evil Geniuses player Mason “Mason” Venne have indicated that the former NAdota pubstar is currently in the planning stages for what has been described as “easily the most obnoxious high school reunion ever.” Last week, EG defeated DK in the finals of The Summit and are one of the favorites heading into The International 4 in July.

With The International 4’s prize pool creeping closer to the $10 million mark, each member of the championship team would instantaneously become a millionaire. A confident Mason indicated that he will use his share of the first prize winnings to fund an exorbitant and unheard of four-year high school reunion in his hometown of Rockton, Illinois.

“The theme of the reunion is ‘Why is Mason better at life than you’?” said Venne, who took out a loan to purchase a $50,000 bottle of 1774 Vin Jaune wine to celebrate EG’s inevitable TI4 victory.

A local airline company has been hired by Venne to sky-write “Brandon: I told you so” — referring to local Hononegah Community High School football captain who allegedly assaulted Venne in 2008, depriving him of his lunch money. Charges were not pressed because police did not understand Venne’s usage of “ganked” in the report.

“Mason asked me to be his ‘support’ at the prom,” said one anonymous former high school cheerleader. When she rebuffed his advances, Venne reportedly told her that she was “too heavy to carry anyway.”

“Usually, someone has to wait as long as ten years before telling all their high school classmates that they are superior to them,” said Mason, who plans on flooding the teacher’s break room with several thousand gallons of Monster energy drink. “I can’t wait to see Ms. Henderson’s face when she finds out I made more money in a weekend playing video games than she has in her entire life, gently caress C-minuses in English Lit.”

Reportedly, Venne also plans on hiring a fake book editor to trick Henderson into believing her novel to be accepted by a publishing house, only to have the congratulatory letter reveal the prank and instead state “You will always be a failure, uninstall English.”

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Agrajag posted:

Only real sport is me jerking off to your mom and sister making out
I take back what I said earlier about your MMR. This thread needs more of you and less of... whatever the hell is going on right now.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

^^^Mason is a weird fat gently caress and Fear is a much better person and player

who the gently caress are you arguing with, twee as gently caress? i don't think anyone in the thread has been calling e-sports people athletes or saying that its as demanding as football or whatever. just because other people think that doesn't mean that everyone who watches them does.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
^^^ well that seems to be exactly what at least ArbitraryC and a few others seem to be doing otherwise why the gently caress is he arguing with me instead of saying no when I say that sports and playing video games are not the same?

Anymore than anyone actually said that e-sports are real sports just like physical activity sports.

Except that people making bullshit comparisons between the two and saying they are similar are doing exactly that + hundreds of thousands of nerds saying the same poo poo on the internet

unlike that other bullshit which has not happened

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

you didn't bold the best part

quote:

Charges were not pressed because police did not understand Venne’s usage of “ganked” in the report.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Maybe that's where the confusion is happening. Maybe the e-sports stars are adapting the lovely personalities of regular sports athletes so well that people like Twee as gently caress are tricked into thinking that they are the same thing.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 22, 2014

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

By who's metric? I mean realistically speaking if you have to invest 16 hours a day into being good at starcraft but only 6 hours a day into being good at swimming, then I dunno but it seems like being a starcraft expert requires a bigger commitment than being a swimming expert? Now obviously this is a dumb thing to even care about because they're different skills that require different attributes and I don't honestly believe one or the other makes you a better or more noble person or whatever, but my point was meant to highlight that e-sports professionals are people who are committed to their game in a quantifiable way that's comparable to professional physical athletes. I'd imagine if it weren't for your whole body needing rest and downtime thing there'd be basketball players who practiced 16 hours a day too. They're getting better at what they love by spending as much time getting better at it as they feasibly can. E-sports professionals straight up get real diagnosable injuries from overtraining as dumb as I know you think that is, because doing anything for that long every day of your life will wear at you in one way or another. Did you know a lot of e-sports professionals abuse stimulants to keep practicing so it gives them an edge? Like they straight up take it as seriously as someone roiding out.

My second point in that post was that playing video games has a technical "skill" (if you want to call it that) that's based around dexterity and precision rather than endurance and strength, and I wouldn't necessarily agree with a stance that implied one side had more merit than the other. There's a lot of really fine work out there that we all treasure that involves countless hours of practice over something that boils down to hand dexterity and precision, artists and craftsmen are really easy examples of this.

At the end of the day the thing professional gamers are good at isn't a skill that leads to anything practical outside of entertainment purposes, but that describes a lot of things you probably don't have a problem with and they invest a lot of time and energy into doing something that makes a lot of people happy, hence why the famous ones are literal millionaires. I'm sorry you don't have the capacity to understand why different people place different values on different things and there's no divine objective measurement over what pointless activity is more or less worthwhile, but e-sports are here to stay and enough people enjoy them that there's a lot of money in it.

quote:

There's actually a bunch of posts in this thread trying to say or at least implying just that. This entire thread is based on the idea that e-sports are an inferior form of entertainment, like that's the only reason it was posted or exists. Trying to tell people that their way of having fun is wrong is something one could easily label as an autistic trait because there simply is no right/wrong way to have fun, you can't put enjoyment into logical boxes or reasonings.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 22, 2014

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

^^^ well that seems to be exactly what at least ArbitraryC and a few others seem to be doing otherwise why the gently caress is he arguing with me instead of saying no when I say that sports and playing video games are not the same?

Except that people making bullshit comparisons between the two and saying they are similar are doing exactly that + hundreds of thousands of nerds saying the same poo poo on the internet

unlike that other bullshit which has not happened

people are telling you that esports have a similar entertainment value to sports and are legitimate competitions, not that they're exactly the same activity.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

i cant wait until hes broke and homeless

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nanomashoes posted:

^^^Mason is a weird fat gently caress and Fear is a much better person and player

who the gently caress are you arguing with, twee as gently caress? i don't think anyone in the thread has been calling e-sports people athletes or saying that its as demanding as football or whatever. just because other people think that doesn't mean that everyone who watches them does.

people have been saying watching e-sports is the same as watching sports, which is the thing I've taken most issue with at least.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

Nanomashoes posted:

not that they're exactly the same activity.

NERDS LITERALLY BELIEVE THAT ESPORTS ARE EQUAL TO REAL SPORTS

NOT IN ENTERTAINMENT VALUE BUT ON A PHYSICAL LEVEL

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

gggiiimmmppp posted:

With The International 4’s prize pool creeping closer to the $10 million mark, each member of the championship team would instantaneously become a millionaire. A confident Mason indicated that he will use his share of the first prize winnings to fund an exorbitant and unheard of four-year high school reunion in his hometown of Rockton, Illinois.

“The theme of the reunion is ‘Why is Mason better at life than you’?” said Venne, who took out a loan to purchase a $50,000 bottle of 1774 Vin Jaune wine to celebrate EG’s inevitable TI4 victory.

lmao the gently caress. I already hated him because he looks like a retarded ogre, but this...drat.

Chuck Tanner posted:

NERDS LITERALLY BELIEVE THAT ESPORTS ARE EQUAL TO REAL SPORTS

NOT IN ENTERTAINMENT VALUE BUT ON A PHYSICAL LEVEL

That is not a commonly held belief you baboon. Gratz on making poo poo up though.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I took chinese horse steroids and now I'm an unstoppable DOTA force

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Dr. Carwash posted:

lmao the gently caress. I already hated him because he looks like a retarded ogre, but this...drat.

not sure if you're dumb or trolling but that's a satire website

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

Dr. Carwash posted:

That is not a commonly held belief you baboon. Gratz on making poo poo up though.

except it very much is among lol and dota players

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

crankdatbatman posted:

people have been saying watching e-sports is the same as watching sports, which is the thing I've taken most issue with at least.

how is the "watching" different, its the stuff the players are doing that makes them different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

arby made an effortpost responding to loving twee of all people, it's all ovre

• Locked thread