Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
10 just happened to be the pick that seems to be the focal point of kesler trade talks. i wouldnt make the pick with him, but if the canucks did, id be all for it

basically they could pick one of a dozen forwards with a 10th and id be ok with it. there are a LOT of similar, exciting forwards in this draft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Sens posted a video on their site of discussions between scouts, and while nobody mentions names, like half of it is clearly about Ho-Sang and how he's "the last last last" thing they want to bring into the organization.

Because more 2nd/3rd line hardworking tweener prospects is something this team needs.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

bub spank posted:

Sens posted a video on their site of discussions between scouts, and while nobody mentions names, like half of it is clearly about Ho-Sang and how he's "the last last last" thing they want to bring into the organization.

Because more 2nd/3rd line hardworking tweener prospects is something this team needs.

Well the last time a team picked a dude with massive baggage to his name (Islanders) he turned into what everyone really projected (Kabanov)

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Draft him Goldblum. Draft him and make Subban his mentor.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I can't wait for the Devils to gently caress up another forward.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Ho-Sang very much play like a minor midget player. End to end rushes and dangles look nice, but they rarely even work in major junior. I think he's going to have a ton of difficulty adjusting his game to the NHL level. I don't see him as much more than a second round talent, based purely on his game as a hockey player.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rene Bork posted:

Draft him Goldblum. Draft him and make Subban his mentor.

Going to be tough to mentor him from Philly.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ho-Sang's mad dangles barely work against OHLers, I find it very hard to believe he'll be an effective pro player. Kane is a similarish player, but is effective because he knows how to distribute the puck and only busts out the high skill stuff when teams aren't expecting it. Ho-Sang tries it shift in and shift out and defences just knowto back off him and let him lose the puck in his feet. He could be a good top six guy if a team is patient with him and lets him develop with a coach who won't insist he suddenly turn into a two way guy when he doesn't immediately make it as a scorer. That's not going to happen though and he'll be playing in Frolunda before he's 26.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

A Typical Goon posted:

Ho-Sang very much play like a minor midget player. End to end rushes and dangles look nice, but they rarely even work in major junior. I think he's going to have a ton of difficulty adjusting his game to the NHL level. I don't see him as much more than a second round talent, based purely on his game as a hockey player.

No, but you see 3 years out of this he will be the best player in this draft. And he has no doubt about that. He knows himself. He knows the other players. He believes in his ability. There are guys ranked ahead of him who are nowhere near him

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ho-Sang's attitude is awesome.

e: Probably says the word 'celly' a lot though.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Verviticus posted:

10 just happened to be the pick that seems to be the focal point of kesler trade talks. i wouldnt make the pick with him, but if the canucks did, id be all for it

basically they could pick one of a dozen forwards with a 10th and id be ok with it. there are a LOT of similar, exciting forwards in this draft

Murray is supposedly doing everything he can to make the trade happen without moving pick number 10. I figure if it's moved, it'll be right before the pick, since Murray wants to see who's still on the board.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Murray is supposedly doing everything he can to make the trade happen without moving pick number 10. I figure if it's moved, it'll be right before the pick, since Murray wants to see who's still on the board.

I don't think that Benning wants to do that as he's been pretty public about his desire to jump up to 1st overall and the 10th pick would probably be part of that. I'm not unconvinced all that talk isn't a smokescreen for something else though.

I still think that Kesler to Anaheim gets done tomorrow evening and that Murray will relent and put 10th overall on the table.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ThinkTank posted:

I don't think that Benning wants to do that as he's been pretty public about his desire to jump up to 1st overall and the 10th pick would probably be part of that. I'm not unconvinced all that talk isn't a smokescreen for something else though.

I still think that Kesler to Anaheim gets done tomorrow evening and that Murray will relent and put 10th overall on the table.

Why trade the pick before you know what's being moved? I mean I really want Kesler on this team but I really don't see a Chicago deal happening with them so close to cap and that probably makes Anaheim the only possibility, or at least the team with the best offer. Whats the latest rumor on that front anyway?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Why trade the pick before you know what's being moved? I mean I really want Kesler on this team but I really don't see a Chicago deal happening with them so close to cap and that probably makes Anaheim the only possibility, or at least the team with the best offer. Whats the latest rumor on that front anyway?

Because the Canucks would probably want to use 6+10 to move up to 1st overall.

Canucks are in the unique position where it doesn't matter if they retain salary on the Kesler transaction. If a team like Chicago wants him but are worried about the cap, the Canucks can pay half of his contract if Chicago throws in another asset. Kesler at $2.5M is an amazing deal and pretty much any team could make that work financially.

There aren't any new rumours on the Kesler front. The team has always been pretty tight lipped about it, and some media folks are predicting it'll drag on past the draft because the Canuck's asking price is sky high. Ultimately I think it gets done in the next couple days because the team's new tag line is 'CHANGE IS COMING' (actually) and the fan base aren't going to buy the whole 'the coach is the reset' thing a second time. Plus no one is in the mood for another Luongo saga.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ThinkTank posted:

Because the Canucks would probably want to use 6+10 to move up to 1st overall.

Canucks are in the unique position where it doesn't matter if they retain salary on the Kesler transaction. If a team like Chicago wants him but are worried about the cap, the Canucks can pay half of his contract if Chicago throws in another asset. Kesler at $2.5M is an amazing deal and pretty much any team could make that work financially.

There aren't any new rumours on the Kesler front. The team has always been pretty tight lipped about it, and some media folks are predicting it'll drag on past the draft because the Canuck's asking price is sky high. Ultimately I think it gets done in the next couple days because the team's new tag line is 'CHANGE IS COMING' (actually) and the fan base aren't going to buy the whole 'the coach is the reset' thing a second time. Plus no one is in the mood for another Luongo saga.

Honestly, I could care less. If moving the 10th pick means we don't lose any significant roster players than I'm all for it. And the Canucks would look pretty alright as far as offensive prospects go with Horvat and Reinhart in the system. The only issue then would be finding who to play with Kes, since all our top 6 wingers are shoot first kind of guys.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

I want the Oilers to get Ho Sang but there is 0 chance of that ever happening after Omark and Schremp

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I will always love Linus Omark

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

ThinkTank posted:

Ho-Sang's mad dangles barely work against OHLers, I find it very hard to believe he'll be an effective pro player. Kane is a similarish player, but is effective because he knows how to distribute the puck and only busts out the high skill stuff when teams aren't expecting it. Ho-Sang tries it shift in and shift out and defences just knowto back off him and let him lose the puck in his feet. He could be a good top six guy if a team is patient with him and lets him develop with a coach who won't insist he suddenly turn into a two way guy when he doesn't immediately make it as a scorer. That's not going to happen though and he'll be playing in Frolunda before he's 26.

sounds not all that dissimilar to the poo poo that people were saying about subban when he was 19 to be honest. i don't know that i'd take him in the top 10, but i'd certainly be happy if montreal took him with their pick.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zamboni Jesus posted:

sounds not all that dissimilar to the poo poo that people were saying about subban when he was 19 to be honest. i don't know that i'd take him in the top 10, but i'd certainly be happy if montreal took him with their pick.

Oh I don't think he's a bad pick by any means. I value skill over anything else, but he needs a lot of proper coaching and the default "you need to play defence because you aren't a top six guy yet" thing probably won't work with him.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
I am pleased that Hunter Shinkaruk is considered so disposable by the Canucks organization. Judging by his current career trajectory, he's going to be shovelling snow at ECHL games on his 24th birthday

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So how far does Ehlers fall? Out of the top 5? I think he's easily on par with the other top picks of the draft.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Austrian mook posted:

So how far does Ehlers fall? Out of the top 5? I think he's easily on par with the other top picks of the draft.

yeah certainly. nylander probably goes before ehlers and theres The Top 5 before those two, probably

Guignol posted:

I am pleased that Hunter Shinkaruk is considered so disposable by the Canucks organization. Judging by his current career trajectory, he's going to be shovelling snow at ECHL games on his 24th birthday

no hes gonna score goals in the nhl :(

edit: FOR THE CANUCKS

Austrian mook posted:

Honestly, I could care less. If moving the 10th pick means we don't lose any significant roster players than I'm all for it. And the Canucks would look pretty alright as far as offensive prospects go with Horvat and Reinhart in the system. The only issue then would be finding who to play with Kes, since all our top 6 wingers are shoot first kind of guys.

i figure the trade's gonna look like (if it even happens) 10th + theodore or 10/24/one of anaheims stupid 3rd line prospect forwards everyone drools over

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Columbus would like your team's pick if you're between #1 and #15, but Aaron Portzline says Jarmo's gonna hang up on you if you ask for Johansen, so don't do it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Verviticus posted:

i figure the trade's gonna look like (if it even happens) 10th + theodore or 10/24/one of anaheims stupid 3rd line prospect forwards everyone drools over

it will be emmersen etem and he will almost definitely not be the player the canucks think he will be. (see: Smith Pelly, Devente)

E: Or Kassian, for that matter

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Ho-Sang would be a worthwhile pick in the 2nd I figure. He's said to have top-5 talent this draft.

If a team can get him to buy in, they could be laughing.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
There are definitely safer picks but I hope the Sharks take him at 20 if he's available (they won't)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

it will be emmersen etem and he will almost definitely not be the player the canucks think he will be. (see: Smith Pelly, Devente)

E: Or Kassian, for that matter

yeah i dont get the hype over any of anaheims loving forward prospects. they're all bottom six guys

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Relevant: a nice Craig Cutsance profile on Josh Ho-Sang:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11132294/nhl-josh-ho-sang-ultra-skilled-well-rounded-frustrating

quote:

"He's the most skilled player in North America. He's the most skilled player to ever come through Windsor," Rychel said, with one caveat. "Skilled player, but not the most complete player."

Ho-Sang may not be the most complete player, but he may be as well-rounded an individual as there is in the draft. For scouts looking for hockey savants, that's not always a good thing. It's just part of the most unique package in the draft, a player who stands out for several reasons.

"You know what? Yeah, I'm diverse. I'm a weirdo. It's hard to explain to people," Ho-Sang said. "You look at me. Once you actually see me, I'm a black kid missing a tooth. Who is this guy? Misconceptions can totally be drawn from that. That's not profiling. That's not anything. You don't know what to expect. I think that's life."

He acknowledges struggling in school during his first year in Windsor. He understands now that his habit of blaming others for his struggles wasn't productive. Once he stopped accusing teachers of giving him too much homework or not working enough with him, and realized that other hockey players were managing the same workload, he straightened out.

It was also widely circulated among NHL teams that he had to sit out a game because he was late for a morning skate in Ottawa. He was careless and didn't understand why it was so important to be on time. He figured out that it's a respect thing, not just rules for the sake of rule. It was a learning process.

Ho-Sang sees a bit of himself in the way that Patrick Kane plays, but also loves how Kane embraces life off the ice, even when it gets him in trouble.

"He parties all the time. There's pictures of him shirtless, partying regularly. There's stories about him everywhere. That's cool," Ho-Sang said. "You look at Patrick Kane, he's having a good time. He's getting the job done. I guarantee you ask Patrick Kane how much he loves to party, he'd say '10,' [on a scale of] one to 10. You can tell.

"The bottle's popping, all this stuff. He's absolutely hammered at all the parades. That's hilarious. These guys are having a blast. I know they've won, so people are like, it's OK."

Like everything with Ho-Sang, context is important. He says he doesn't go out partying. He just admires those who embrace life, those who have more going on than what's happening on the ice.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i'm going to the islanders draft party and i am extremely stoked because the draft is my favorite thing of the year every year

i'm really hoping that if the islanders flip their pick they get something really good back and i am hoping that if they do not that they draft dal colle unless bennett or reinhart drops to them. if they stretched a little and picked ehlers or nylander though i wouldn't be upset with those picks at all.

please don't pick ritchie or perlini or virtanen.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

please pick virtanen, islanders

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i guess virtanen is somewhat encouraging because he can skate and isn't your typical overrated grinder who can score in junior for that reason but i really strongly doubt he has top 6 upside. could be a very good 3rd liner but that's all i see.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Who's excited for 3 1/2 hours of thanking the city of Philadelphia, congratulating the Kings, TV analysts looking at their phone live on air, Pierre making alarming excited noises and teenagers with cystic acne looking simultaneously proud and cripplingly embarrassed? I know I am.

e: For the love of god someone draft Nathan Walker this year. I need to see the first Australian NHLer.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 27, 2014

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers

Draft him Hexy.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

lol in what loving world does idolizing a guy that chokes women and beat cab drivers up, and publically talking about how much you wanna make the NHL so you can get wasted and pop bottles make you a "well rounded" individual. I wouldn't touch Patrick O'Sullivan 2.0 here with a ten foot clown pole

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

Paulocaust posted:

lol in what loving world does idolizing a guy that chokes women and beat cab drivers up, and publically talking about how much you wanna make the NHL so you can get wasted and pop bottles make you a "well rounded" individual. I wouldn't touch Patrick O'Sullivan 2.0 here with a ten foot clown pole

quote:

Ho-Sang sees a bit of himself in the way that Patrick Kane plays, but also loves how Kane embraces life off the ice, even when it gets him in trouble.

"He parties all the time. There's pictures of him shirtless, partying regularly. There's stories about him everywhere. That's cool," Ho-Sang said. "You look at Patrick Kane, he's having a good time. He's getting the job done. I guarantee you ask Patrick Kane how much he loves to party, he'd say '10,' [on a scale of] one to 10. You can tell.

"The bottle's popping, all this stuff. He's absolutely hammered at all the parades. That's hilarious. These guys are having a blast. I know they've won, so people are like, it's OK."

Like everything with Ho-Sang, context is important. He says he doesn't go out partying. He just admires those who embrace life, those who have more going on than what's happening on the ice.

You pretty much ignored the entire context part there at the end.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Grimby posted:

You pretty much ignored the entire context part there at the end.

Lol yeah I'm sure the 18 year old OHLer that is admittedly a big fan of Johnny Manziel and Patrick Kane's off ice behavior doesn't like to party and isnt just saying that to help his stock. Also I have a bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell you.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Paulocaust posted:

Lol yeah I'm sure the 18 year old OHLer that is admittedly a big fan of Johnny Manziel and Patrick Kane's off ice behavior doesn't like to party and isnt just saying that to help his stock. Also I have a bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell you.

It sounded like he was trying to say that he isn't a fan of their specific antics so much as their willingness to engage in those antics rather than conform to expected off ice norms, which one could argue is a fairly mature perspective, if it wasn't for everything else in that piece. That said, his choice of idols would definitely make me hesitant about the possible habits he could develop, assuming he hasn't already, if he hits the big time.

And that said, if the skill is as good as stated (to be honest, the highlights I've seen haven't blown me away), I'd still take a flyer on the kid and work on his attitude. Lots of sixteen year olds are morons.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

a false posted:

please don't pick ritchie or perlini or virtanen.

So these are basically the three names I keep hearing for Carolina at 7. Should I be upset if this happens?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

The Bunk posted:

So these are basically the three names I keep hearing for Carolina at 7. Should I be upset if this happens?

if ehlers and nylander and fabbri are on the table, i would be. sometimes you will get a good power forward out of the players that project that way in the first round but kids who just score a ton in junior, even if they have no defensive game to speak of, have a way better chance of panning out.

another good one to keep an eye on is kevin fiala who has been projected all over the first round - i've seen him top 10 and i've also seen him in the late 20s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Why is anyone upset at Josh Ho-Sang for saying he likes to party? Every teenage athlete on the planet parties, hell every teenager on the planet parties. I'm glad he doesn't just pretend he enters a period of stasis between hockey games like every other player out there.

• Locked thread