Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Let's play an NBA draft game.

It is based on a mock draft with a few twists. At each team's position, for the first round you can pick the player the team drafts, or "trade." (the second round will not be included in this game this year, but will have relevance to the bonus wagers)

If you accurately call the player drafted, you get 3 points. If you miss by one spot (either direction) you get 2 points. If you miss by 2 spots (in either direction), you get 1 point. You can declare a spot a LOCK to get 5 points if you nail the position perfectly, but you get 0 if you are wrong and you can score no more points for that player (other than bonus wagers, see later)

Trade is more complex. You can just say "trade" at a spot and you get 3 points if the pick is officially traded before the draft (but after your post) and it's announced on NBA.com, or the commissioner or deputy-commissioner announce the trade from the podium. If the trade is only talked about by the commentators during the draft broadcast or announced by Woj, but is never announced by the commissioner, you get 2 points. You have the option of saying what team the pick will go to, and you will get 5 points if you are right and it is officially announced, 4 points if it announced through previously mentioned means, and 1 point if a trade happens (either announced or proposed) but you didn't pick the correct team.

After your mock draft there will be spots to pick up bonuses, but these are wagers. You can choose to pick them or leave them blank, but if you choose and you're wrong you are subtracted the bonus from your final score. The spots are "1st pick," for the person you guarantee first pick, a wager of ten points; "4-10 Lock" to someone you guarantee to be drafted 4-9, a wager of five points; "10-15" for a guy you guarantee to land 10-15 at a wager five points; "first round" for a guy guaranteed to land in the first round for a wager of three points; "miss the first round" for a guy guaranteed to miss the first round (note: player has to be drafted in the second round to win) for a wager of ten points, "second round" for a guy you guarantee will be drafted in the second round for three points; "second round trade" for a team that you predict will trade their second round pick for a wager of ten points (any announced method counts); "miss the draft" for a guy you guarantee will not be drafted (anywhere) for one point, and "Mr. irrelevant" as a wager of twenty points. You can only put one in one bonus slot (so you can't just put Embiid down in every bonus slot).

Because we are all gentlepeople, you will be responsible for scoring and reporting your own mock. I will only double check the first three places. The winner will get a $10 dollar Amazon gift card, second place will get a $5 dollar gift card, third place will get a $1 gift card. Via e-mail. We are using one-slot tie rules, so if there is a tie for first, money will be split between first and second (and third if it's a three way tie) tied and the next person will be considered in the next slot (and so on). If we are in a situation where I have to split an amount that causes each person to get under 50 cents then people will get nothing because Amazon will not allow cards under 50 cents. Additionally, if it costs me some weird fee to e-mail a gift card to you because of your country or whatever, that comes out of your total.

A Template For You

1. Cavs -
2. Bucks -
3. Sixers -
4. Magic -
5. Jazz -
6. Celtics -
7. Lakers -
8. Kings -
9. Hornets -
10. Sixers -
11. Nuggets -
12. Magic -
13. Timberwolves -
14. Suns -
15. Hawks -
16. Bulls -
17. Celtics -
18. Suns -
19. Bulls -
20. Raptors -
21. Thunder -
22. Grizzlies -
23. Jazz
24. Hornets
25. Rockets
26. Heat -
27. Suns -
28. Clippers -
29. Thunder -
30. Spurs -
--Optional Wagers--
1st Pick (10) -
4-9 (5) -
10-15 (5) -
1st Round (3)-
1st Round Miss (10) -
2nd Round (3) -
2nd Round Trade (10)-
Draft Miss (1) -
Mr. Irrelevant (20) -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Here's a sample mock.

1. Cavs - Embiid
2. Bucks - Parker
3. Philly - TRADE
4. Magic - Exum [Lock ]
5. Jazz - Wiggins
6. Celtics - TRADE - Timberwolves
7. Lakers - Gordon

1st Pick - Embiid
4-9 - Exum
10-15 - McDermott
1st Round - Gordon
Miss 1st Round -
2nd Round -
2nd Round Trade -
Draft Miss -
Mr. Irrelevant - Jordair Jett

If the actual draft was

1. Cavs - Jordair Jett
2. Bucks - Parker
3. Philly - Wiggins
4. Magic - Embiid
5. Jazz - Exum
6. Celtics - Traded to Philly (
7. Lakers - McDermott

The scoring would be as follow:

Emiid went 4th, so that is +0. Parker went second so that was + 3. Philly did not make a trade, so that is +0 at the next spot. The Magic did not select Exum so that is +0 since it was the mock's lock. The mock listed the Jazz picking Wiggins, so this is worth +1 because Philly actually selected two spots ahead; it also would have been worth an additional +2, but because it was selected as a lock, those points don't score. The Celtics traded the pick but the Mock had the wrong team, so that +1. Aaron Gordon was selected at like, 18 or something in this pretend draft, so there were no points scored for the selection of McDermott (yet).

So at this point, our drafter has 5 points total (3 for parker, 1 for Wiggins, 1 for correctly calling a trade).

They were wrong about the first pick, so that's -10 (making the score -5). They were right about Exum, so that's +5 (0). They were right about McDermott going 10-15 so that's +5 (5). They were also right about Gordon going somewhere in the first round, so that's + 3 (8). They didn't risk any points on several other bonus wagers, so that leaves their score level. However, because they wagered on Jordair Jett being Mr. Irrelevant and he went first instead, that is -20, which brings the final score for this mock to be -12.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

What is the difference between the "Missed first round" bet and "2nd round"? Doesn't the guy need to go in the 2nd either way?

Do you only need to call a trade, you don't need to actually say who was picked in that slot?

You can just call a trade. I was going to say a one point bonus for calling the player picked but I thought it might add an element of confusion if I didn't, and I actually was going for that.

I hadn't even thought about the missed first and second round being the same. I put up the (must be drafted) rule to try to prevent a loophole I observed but I guess it does make them the same.

I think I'll leave it though, since the name has to be different than the guy you list at the other spot, so I guess if you successfully nail two second round picks, it'll be 13 points for you. I personally can't nail 2 second round picks so that seems like a lot to me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Well, is there any point in still doing this now that nobody had time to do their mock? If we get five participants at least I'll still do it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Strawberry Panda posted:

Sorry, Rick. The forums ate your game :-(

It is all good it was probably too much of a pain in the rear end anyway.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Awesome! Game on.

I want to believe in Connor Crowely.

Rick fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 26, 2014

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
There's some points there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
There were few enough that I was able to score them, I'm still interested in seeing what scores people gave for themselves because there were a couple things I realized I wasn't super clear about so I'm going to give people points if they gave them to themselves.

I tried to score EvanTH's but the number was so high that it crashed Excel so gonna have to disqualify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

1. Cavs - Wiggins +3
2. Bucks - Parker (LOCK) +5
3. Sixers -Vonleh 0
4. Magic - Exum +2
5. Jazz - Embiid +1
6. Celtics - TRADE Smart -gently caress
7. Lakers - Randle +3
8. Kings - Gordon +0
9. Hornets - Stauskas +2
10. Sixers - Harris 0
11. Nuggets - LaVine +1
12. Magic -Anderson 0
13. Timberwolves - Hood 0
14. Suns - Nurkic +1
15. Hawks - Harris 0
16. Bulls - McDermott 0 (close)
17. Celtics - Robinson III 0
18. Suns - TRADE Payne 0
19. Bulls - Saric 0
20. Raptors -Napier 0
21. Thunder - Ennis 0
22. Grizzlies -Young 0
23. Jazz- Warren 0
24. Hornets- Hairston +1
25. Rockets- Clarkson 0
26. Heat -TRADE +3
27. Suns - Grant +0
28. Clippers - Stokes +0
29. Thunder -Inglis +1
30. Spurs -Tavares 0
--Optional Wagers--
1st Pick (10) - Wiggins +10
4-9 (5) - RANDLE +5
10-15 (5) - Hood -5
1st Round (3)- Wiggins +3
1st Round Miss (10) - Christon +10
2nd Round (3) - Birch -3
2nd Round Trade (10)- Minnesota +10
Draft Miss (1) -
Mr. Irrelevant (20) -

So I think I got 53....

I have you at 50 because you picked Wiggins twice in wagers and you could only use a player once in the wagers so I just threw out the smaller bet.

But it doesn't matter because you're first anyway.

Ice Phoenix was second, and plyb was third (but actually lost by one pick due to Mr. Irrelevant going one spot higher). So send me your e-mails for prizes!

WEREWAIF gets some honorable mention for absolutely dominating the drafting portion, with 30 points just there. I think if I do this again next year I would re-balance this because I imagined a lot more points being scored in the draft section, but it was a lot harder than I thought. plyb was the only other person who broke 25 there.

• Locked thread